Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Guess the Pirates are leaving it all out on the field for Spring Training so they can have a leisurely regular season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

The Rangers are going to have a full crowd in attendance on opening day lmao

https://twitter.com/threetwoeephus/status/1369718737671237634?s=21

Might as well, the 20% capacity poo poo other places are doing is just theater. There is no way to meaningfully distance at a stadium when everyone stacks up at the metal detectors or the pisser.

I miss baseball but I’m not stepping foot in a stadium this year.

Apr 7, 2003

When you’re packing in line with 5,000 other guys to get in, use the restrooms, or hit concessions it doesn’t really matter how distanced your seats are though. That’s just theater what with the usual chokepoints.

Apr 7, 2003

I’m vaxed and I’ll be watching from my couch, there’s just too much poo poo going on with variants that we don’t know and I don’t trust other people. The Pens had to throw out seventeen people last Thursday who made the game into an anti mask statement and those people paid over $300 to get in.

Apr 7, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I'm not attending any baseball games but 20% seems at least theoretically manageable. Its a bad idea I would discourage everyone from but I could buy its someone trying. 100% is just not giving a single poo poo if people live or die.

I mean, that’s the official stated policy of Texas’s government. A bunch of them froze to death and Rick Perry said they should be happy about that. Mass stadium death is just icing on the cake.

If you go to an event until we’ve got a critical mass of people vaccinated you're just flirting with disaster.

Apr 7, 2003

Miz Kriss posted:

I’m already fully vaccinated (yay hospital work... :negative:) but here in Illinois, they’re giving shots to anyone over the age of 65, those with chronic health issues (diabetics, immune compromised, etc.) , and anyone working in food service, manufacturing, etc (basically if you’re an “essential worker.”)

It’s drat near impossible to get one in Chicago, but the state National Guard has a mass vaccination center at the state fairgrounds and they’ll take any Illinois resident though will take priority for those who qualify for the current phase. I believe they’re opening a 2nd location over at the United Center in Chicago.

There's just way too much we don't know about variants and whether the current vaccines are efficacious about them. I'm fully vaccinated and my wife's second dose is later this month, but I'll let other people be guinea pigs for this poo poo.

One of my friends who grew up a Brave's fan and used to go to the park with me when they were in town died from this in August, don't tempt fate if you can avoid it.

Apr 7, 2003

These changes are all loving stupid, there is no reservoir of potential fans waiting to get into the game until average game length is seven minutes faster or there are five less ground outs per game. You either like baseball or you don’t.

Apr 7, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

considering how many bad takes there are ITT it's kinda hard to keep track between the ones that people genuinely believe and the ones that are just being ironic

next you'll be telling me that Cubs fans don't actually believe Kyle Schwarber is a good player

He's only 2.5 stars in OOTP 21, average at best.

Apr 7, 2003

I think I'll be avoiding the ballpark this year

Apr 7, 2003

Some Wikipedia editor is slacking.

Apr 7, 2003

He's a national treasure.

Apr 7, 2003

My dad grew up in Newark and my mom was all about the David Cone mets so I still have a soft spot for the Mets today.

Apr 7, 2003

Weird that the Yankees named their spring training facility after a Seinfeld character

Apr 7, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

my hatred for cuomo is indescribable

his father was in the Pirates minor league system

Apr 7, 2003

The Pirates's star pitching prospect is a 25 year old they drafted in 2014 who couldn't get out of the first inning yesterday against the Rays B squad.

Apr 7, 2003

probably to mask all the f bombs

Apr 7, 2003

During one of the games I watched last year I remember Trevor Wiliams striking someone out and yelling 'gently caress YEAH', they probably just don't want that stuff getting on TV.

Apr 7, 2003

bees x1000 posted:

Here I am posting again that I think ties are OK and would be less offensive than whatever Manfred is cooking up.

Just change the rules so you can strike out on a foul. That’ll cut yankee / Red Sox game lengths in half and it’s no worse than the DH rule or starting a runner on second in extras or moving the mound.

Apr 7, 2003

Still pointless since there is no giant crowd of potential fans waiting to start going to games once the average length is down by nine minutes, but if they’re so fixated on game length there’s some low hanging fruit out there.

Apr 7, 2003

bees x1000 posted:

eehhhhh I would be against this because 22 pitch battles are super neat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btS2gX0CAbE

Just saying, if they really want to shorten the games there are easy ways to do it.

The length of game changes are about television and gambling, not the fans

Apr 7, 2003

thrilla in vanilla posted:

One time I went to a Springfield cardinals game at like noon or so, met some friends there and had probably four or five big beers in addition to four baby shooter bottles. Made it through the entire game then blacked out as we stood up to leave at the end. Came to outside the stadium barfing in front of a school bus that I later learned was dropping off children from the Boys and Girls Club for what turned out to be the second game of the day’s doubleheader. Normally I would be concerned about traumatizing children but I figure they probably had seen it before if they were at boys and girls club on Saturday. That’s my story

I got thrown out of Great American Ballpark for yelling "let's go Bucs" too much

The cops said it was for my own good since I'd probably be murdered trying to leave after the game ended

Apr 7, 2003

Local news media is excited about the Pirates drafting Kumar Rocker, can't wait for them to waste the best years of his career and trade him for financial considerations.

You cannot tank to win in baseball without also being smart with free agents and international signings, and I don't see the Pirates managing either of those.

Apr 7, 2003

Shiroc posted:

The Mariners are trying to get me to attend plague games to see the garbage team:

'Your health and safety while at T-Mobile Park is our top priority. This season, you'll find several new protocols designed to reduce touch points including digital tickets, no bags and cashless transactions, as well as a science-based approach to enhanced cleaning. Follow the links below for more information. We'll see you soon!'

Nobody handled tickets directly. They scanned them from a few inches away, the exact same way they will for phones. Bags don't matter when people are already bringing themselves in, it just goes along with banning outside food 'for safety'. I'm sure that the place where the bathrooms got covered in a wall of vomit and piss by the 3rd inning are really going to invest in 'science-based' 'enhanced cleaning.'

gently caress all of the open 'er up poo poo that is going to get people sick, maimed and killed.

Pirates are going to stay at 25% despite the expanded capacity state rules because they never draw more than 25% anyway

Apr 7, 2003

I'm the Highmark ad in Florida

Apr 7, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

seems to be some skepticism he’ll have the endurance for a starter workload but he definitely looks like a valuable pitcher regardless, maybe a backend reliever. exciting

They'll gently caress up his conditioning and trade him for a treadmill and $50

Apr 7, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

I don’t see how they could be bad at trading if you’re worried about what they’ll do with this guy they just traded for lol

I'll feel good about him once he's closing games in the majors

I've been a Pirates fan too long to feel good about prospects.

Apr 7, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Your periodic reminder the team valuations are exploding so fast they could all run at a year to year loss and still make money for ownership

https://twitter.com/sportico/status/1375386127360724996?s=21

The average MLB franchise is now worth more than Guggenheim paid for the Dodgers 9 years ago. The Dodgers have apparently doubled in value since then.

Turns out that giving massive amounts of money to rich people drives up the value of things rich people like because they have nowhere else to put the money besides stunting on each other.

Apr 7, 2003

Bob Nutting bought the Pirates in 1996 for $92m and now they're worth $1.35b. Looks like a good investment!

Apr 7, 2003

I'm playing an OOTP 21 Pirates franchise and it's impossible to get ahead because the owner takes any revenue increases out at the start of a new year. Way too realistic.

Apr 7, 2003

*grandpa voice* cancel culture!!!

Apr 7, 2003

Popete posted:

Kumar Rocker might lose #1 draft pick to his own teammate Jack Leiter lol. Vanderbilt is pretty insane this year.

The Pirates will absolutely pick Leiter over Rocker for the exact same reason the Cardinals fan base loves Harrison Bader and hated Dexter Fowler.

Apr 7, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

I don’t understand this one. What would you say are some egregiously racist moments from Ben Cherington’s career or in the Pirates draft history?

I’m saying that the Pirates’s fan base is made up of old racists and the front office knows this.

Apr 7, 2003

bawfuls posted:

that may be so, when has the current Pirates FO/ownership ever demonstrated they give a poo poo about their fans?

They give a poo poo about getting more money and Jack Leiter will sell more jerseys than Kumar Rocker will.

The Pirates are nothing if not a clothing line with a lovely baseball team attached.

Apr 7, 2003

GalacticAcid posted:

sure the team that has already made Ke'Bryan Hayes the face of the franchise to follow former face of the franchise Andrew McCutchen clearly fears having to market the talents of black players.

If they pick Leiter it’s because they think he’s the better pitcher. Take the absurd speculation about racist plots and shove them up your rear end.

Yes, the fan base that goes to games in t-shirts that say “speak English” and deliberately mispronounce Spanish player names aren’t racist at all

All things being equal the front office will absolutely draft Leiter over Rocker because it’ll play better with the fans.

Apr 7, 2003

They’ll draft Leiter, mark my words and check back in July.

Apr 7, 2003

Ben Cherington, former GM of the Red Sox, a team with a famously not-racist fan base,

Like I said, check back in July.

Apr 7, 2003

Gerblederp posted:

Move the Pirates to Montreal imo

The MLB will never let the Pirates move

Apr 7, 2003

I thought OOTP was supposed to be a realistic management sim

Apr 7, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

How did you guys keep the fact that there's a guy named "Akil Neoman Baddoo" a secret for so long

https://www.freep.com/restricted/?r...2F6973646002%2F
That's got to be top name for 2021

I was listening to the Detroit broadcast of that game because there was no Pirates broadcast available and the head Detroit PbP guy went into a rant about pitchers having to bat in Bradenton.

It's cool, the Tigers are going to suck whether pitchers bat or not, just deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apr 7, 2003

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Worse than the Tribune.

It'll be great to have Javy, Rizzo,.and KB gone after this year and then we turn back into the pre-2015 Cubs franchise.

And by pre-2015 I mean the "100+ tears of ineptitude"

Finally, something positive about the Pirates's 2021 season.

Excited for the return of the Renteria Cubs.