Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Johnny Bravo posted:

Baseball players in general just don't seem that popular outside of the sport. In the past 30 years, the list of mainstream dudes seems very small to me with Griffey, McGwire, Jeter and A-Rod. I could probably make an argument to include Sosa, Bonds, Clemens and Schilling in that list but 2 of those are almost certainly due to huge cheating scandals accompanying their generational talent and one for being a loud racist in a time when loud racists get noticed

e: I'd probably throw Ichiro on there too because he was basically awesome as gently caress from his first day in MLB coming over from Japan and having a cool name

It can’t help that MLB players get such little screen time compared to their NFL and NBA peers. Up to bat once every ~40 mins and the handful of fielding plays they end up with are more likely to be routine than a highlight someone will remember. And if the game keeps leaning towards TTO there will be even fewer plays. Starting pitchers have it a little better, but are hamstring by their off days.

I’m not sure how much MLB can do to compete with the NFL and MLB in creating household names without drastically altering the game. Someone in the last thread threw out an extra innings rule where anyone can go up to bat after the 11th as long as they’re still an eligible player. I kind of love it, but that’s a pretty big change. And it’s a tired conversation, but outside the rules the sport should stop discouraging players from expressing their personalities. I know baseball writers deservedly get a lot of flack for that one, but it’s an institutional issue that MLB tacitly approves and players prop up via many of the ~*Unwritten Rules*~ - leading to big dorks like Hosmer scolding Tatis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Harper absolutely peed on a ball with an aluminum bat during a promo event at the Trop when he was still in high school. Pretty sure it went more than 500 feet.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Curious to hear what other pitchers think. MLB said they were going to de-juice the ball (that they’ve never admitted to juicing) this year, right? Or did I imagine that?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I thought Markakis was headed to the next level after turning into a double-or-walk machine in ‘08. Thanks for the fun times, dude. He’ll definitely get added to my Remembered Guys pantheon in like 15 years.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Shoot through it, Jose. I believe in you!

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Phew. I knew true love would win out.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

https://www.sporcle.com/games/75zxcvbnm/thom-brennamans-apology

I put up a shameful 55%. Clearly haven’t actually heard it that many times.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

News: MASN is rolling out an app this year to stream Nats and O’s games, but the broadcasting rights quagmire means it’s like trying to watch HBO in 2012 and you need a cable subscription or someone’s login.

Views: I look forward to once again watching almost no local games this year as this dumb sport continues to try and kill my rooting interest.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I feel you. Gary Thorne’s voice is like butterscotch.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

My favorite part of that Show ad is them including Bauer getting owned.

That and the Orioles, of all teams, turning two were definitely the standouts.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

drat that’s good

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’m so sick of being stuck in my house. It’s reached the point where I miss getting annihilated by the sun at Sunday afternoon games. In fact, I yearn for it.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Obviously the Dodgers’ base running error is incredibly rare, but shouldn’t the play be effectively dead after the ball goes out and trotting the bases just a formality?

Maybe the next frontier in shaving game length after intentional walks will be letting guys work the crowd for a little after a home run instead of taking their bases. Say... enough time for one “get loud” and one exaggerated “I can’t hear you” gesture.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I also thought I’d somehow missed that Eloy died and had to Google.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Good on MLB for moving the ASG. I hope it helps in the push to get the voting discrimination reversed.

And not surprised the entire Nats-Mets series is postponed. I really wish they could just force all those broscience morons to get the vaccine.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Bad year for conservatives to boycott baseball when they’re still paying for their RSNs through their cable subscriptions and parks are at such reduced capacity all the seats will still get filled.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

At least it’s an open air cesspool.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Love the juxtaposition of the broadcasters talking about teams trying to get to 85% vaccination to ease protocol set against crowd shots of a utterly packed Globe Life Field.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I just saw a couple people wearing masks in the stands. What are you even doing there? At least the maskless have the excuse of being selfish babies.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Every stadium hit their "capacities" over the weekend... right? The only thing stopping more from attending are state mandates that won't allow them to sell more seats. $$$ rules, as usual.

Nats Park didn’t :smug:

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I must have not noticed this during the World Series, but what is going on behind home plate at Globe Life? Why is there just a single row of seats? I can faintly see people further back in that area, but it doesn’t look elevated, so you’re watching through the gaps of all the people in front of you and your vertical view is obstructed by a ceiling. I’m sure the place is packed with screens, but you might as well be on the club level or anywhere else at that point.

E: ok I just googled and it looks like normal seating starts about 10’ up, but what a waste of field-level space.

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 5, 2021

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

It’ll be like Russia in the Olympics. Acuña will have to compete as a “Baseball Athlete from Atlanta”

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I guess that’s a fun tie-in to the Boston Marathon, but it’s a lot to take in.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Dodgers are going to get like a Long Beach lifeguard uniform.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Aw poo poo. This is the dads’ year!

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Lmbo that’s incredible

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Soto on whether he considered taking on 3-0:

https://twitter.com/efitz11/status/1379578283545788418?s=21

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Timby posted:

In addition to his injury history, he also has a body type that really doesn't project to age well. Officially, he weighs 282 pounds but he looks heavier than that, and at six-foot-seven and a few weeks shy of 29 years old, he's getting near the point that carrying a lot of extra weight on his frame is going to make compression fracture(s) in his spine a very real possibility and concern. Obviously gently caress ownership and labor should get paid, but if I were a GM, I'd be leery of signing him to anything longer than three or four years, just because of the very valid possibility that his body starts being held together with toothpicks, chewing gum and the blood of the wretched and the damned.

See: Dunn, Adam

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Edit: I’m an utter dumbass and didn’t see the part where the doctor confirmed everyone received a vaccination.

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 8, 2021

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Always tried to make it to Eddie Huang’s bao place when I was in NYC. Unfortunately it became a covid casualty.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

jng2058 posted:

I mean we say that "most extra inning games end in 12 or less" but I was at an 18 inning game in 2007 that I stayed all the way through out of sheer bloody-minded stubbornness, and let me tell you, I never regretted the "we stop selling beer after the 7th" rule more in my entire life.

Narrowly beaten by “rain delay after the 7th” in brutality. God help you if you end up experiencing both scenarios in a game, especially simultaneously.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I can’t believe the ump started to call strike three and then reversed it. Dude saw an opportunity to head home and took it. Bring on robot umps. And that it wasn’t reviewable - what the hell?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That’s fair. I got carried away wanting to punctuate my conspiracy that the ump wanted to go home instead of being constrained by not being able to review the pitch the way it needed to be for the correct call.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

For real that’s a lot of qualifiers.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That “rock tribute” ended like he was delivering a eulogy. First Eloy tragically passes away and now Buehler?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

If a guy pitches a perfect game and his team can’t muster a single run they should be assigned for eventual burial alongside him like Terracotta soldiers.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Carlosologist posted:

I wish the Yanks would have traded Clint Frazier because what they’re doing with him is criminal. Rougned Odor is starting more often than him! gently caress!

Poor guy’s power was stored in his hair

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Strasburg to the 10-day. He sure looked off his last start.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

We had a once in a lifetime opportunity to get a (half) season of that last year and they decided to pump in a bunch of fake crowd noise. Assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

https://twitter.com/phillies/status/1384320148711088131?s=21

I dunno maybe you could pay them a living wage instead of resorting to charity auctions.