Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

bees x1000 posted:

totally sustainable, Mariners 2021

They're on pace for 97 ties in a full season. It's gonna be a weird rear end year.

Side note - What was up with this game?
https://www.espn.com/mlb/boxscore?gameId=401288824

It's pretty lol Mariners to have a game called a tie after 8.5 innings with the M's due up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Don't clubs agree on no. of innings before the game?

Sure. Bold move for the M's to spot an opponent 3 outs though.

(Found the actual answer. Rockies ran out of pitchers so they called the game after 8.5)

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

bees x1000 posted:

big brain play is to share a T-Mobile family plan and live a few states away from your team of choice.

The only downside of being an M's fan in Minnesota is that they keep coming in April when the weather isn't the best. That, and the being an M's fan part. But you sure do get to watch a lot of bad baseball without any hoops to jump through.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

what other celebs/athletes from other sports have taken a pa in spring training? i remember russell wilson did, like, two or three years ago? and i think he did ok?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Garth_Brooks

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

what other celebs/athletes from other sports have taken a pa in spring training? i remember russell wilson did, like, two or three years ago? and i think he did ok?

Chris Gaines

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Sydin posted:

For the second year in a row, the Dodgers have re-upped Toles on a minor league deal even though he's no longer with the organization and won't actually get paid since he's on the restricted list, because it allows him continued access to MLB health insurance and he's been going through some serious mental health problems for a couple years now.

A friend of mine had a psychotic break last year and I got to experience first hand all of the same agonizing issues that were mentioned by his family when Toles' health issues first came to light - namely that if they're a legal adult with money and no history of actually hurting or threating anybody there's almost nothing you can do to force somebody undergoing paranoid schizophrenia to get much needed treatment - so I very much appreciate this gesture in case it somehow manages to get Toles the help and medication he needs. :smith:

The Padres have done something similar for the past 25 years in order to keep health insurance active for a minor league pitcher that suffered a heart attack in 1996.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_LaChappa

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

For those of you who use T-Mobile, tomorrow is the annual MLB.tv deal.

Thanks for the reminder. Locked in for some sad rear end Mariners again.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

In non-pandemic times, they should give out tickets to Seattle area t mobile customers instead.

I moved out of state almost 10 years ago now, but that would be cool for sure. Work it into the naming rights contract or something.

I worked for Safeco for a couple years 2003-05 or so and never got shiiiiit.

sadly for me, this will mark the 4th(?) year in a row that I don't get to see them live. Thanks for coming to MN for the opening series, jerks. I'm not vaccinated yet and most likely wouldn't step foot in a stadium yet regardless.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Please move his locker further away from Bauer's.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
PFC in BShitpostingOHL for opening day. Baseball really is back.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
The man on 2nd in extras rule is good and cool now. So are limited seating crowds when they contain drunk 20-something women.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

This is funny as Hell, but even just thinking about it again makes me roll my eyes at what giant babies the Rangers were about it.

Waiting until the 8th inning of their final game against each other that year to plunk Jose in Bautista's 33rd plate appearance against them? Using a rookie to do it no less - MATT FUCKIN BUSH's 2nd career appearance.

Basically, I'm saying unwritten rules are dumb and the DH is cool and good.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

bawfuls posted:

Good piece from Eric here, it is ridiculous the Dodgers haven’t retired Fernando’s number officially. They have a “HOFers only” policy but they’ve made an exception in the past and Fernando deserves one as well for what he’s done for the franchise.

https://twitter.com/ericstephen/status/1381354109136068608?s=21

I can vaguely remember Fernandomania but sure do wish I was a few years older so I'd have appreciated it.

Look at this lunacy. First 8 career starts after 10 relief appearances in 1980.

5 complete game shut outs.
2 complete games giving up 1 and 2 runs.
and a 9 inning 1 run game where he got the win when LA scored in the top of the 10th.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

Now I’m wondering why MLB teams aren’t getting some sprinters and just teaching them to lay down bunts, or bringing them in as pinch runners in the playoffs.

I kinda just didn't work out at all;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herb_Washington

Including a ninth inning pick off in a World Series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWb80Qz75bk

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Intruder posted:

Mariners fans getting their hopes up in April actually hurts my heart at this point

Every April that mirage of hope looks might tempting, but I think we know we're just Charlie Brown lining up to kick the ball. It's more of a self deprecating enthusiasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Poque posted:

squish harder into your nuts or grow Varitek thighs if you don't want peekaboos

Phrases I wasn't expecting to Google today....