Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

I don't have any children so your n=1 experience outranks mine. Maybe I'm a dinosaur fuddy-duddy, sure. I dunno. I don't see "owning stuff" going away anytime soon, though.

As for the giant lump, well, yeah. Working on that.

Have you asked his parents what kind of music he likes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Also, I think the concept of “owning” music is fluid. I doubt anyone thinks they own music on spotify or on the radio, or on YouTube - 2 out of 3 of which is the primary way kids of your nephews generation consume music. But then there is like “I own a record, or I own a tape”, especially if you’re someone who thinks you collect music albums. But digital downloads are a completely different concept of ownership. Even digital music you pay for, you can’t re-sell it, it has zero monetary value after you buy it, and it hardly feels like part of a collection except to people maybe of a certain generation who’s life really revolves around a desktop computer.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
why dont you guys just let homie buy some music for his nephew

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Gone Fashing posted:

The kid’s gonna be listening to Dave Matthews. This is getting out of control here

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
As long as you also link to the SA thread of when DMB dumped poo poo and piss on an architectual boat tour on the Chicago River I think you should include the album

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I got into DMB when I was 16.

Stellar musicianship. Don't understand the hate towards them honestly (is it the lack of a "rock n roll" lifestyle? Is it because of people spotting groups of white matcha liberals doing Tai chi in the park to 'Crash Into Me'?)

Hot Diggity! posted:

As long as you also link to the SA thread of when DMB dumped poo poo and piss on an architectual boat tour on the Chicago River I think you should include the album

I take it back. That's rock n' roll.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BigFactory posted:

Have you asked his parents what kind of music he likes?
I'm not going to get into detail, at all, but my nephew is not growing up in a world of wealth. I am certain there is not a smart speaker AI-connected microphone in the house, and unless some things change rather dramatically he won't be able to amass a collection of, well, anything that costs money during his childhood. I do not know him well, and we live literally on opposite sides of the Earth so it's not like I can plan to take him out for a day and pick his brain for opinions.

I have an inkling, but what he currently likes is less important to me than what he might like - and what he'll know he likes, dislikes, tolerates, hates, or just can't get out of his head if he hears 2 bars - when he's older, having been exposed to all sorts of magpie-throws-money-at-shiny-things weekly inputs of novelty. Nobody making requests into a microphone connected to the internet is going to be surprised by what they get to anything like the way every album has at least one obscure song on it that jumps out as either very good or very bad the first time the album is played through. This project has an end-goal, as spelled out in the thread title (the final total as of his 18th birthday will be well above 500) plus some sort-of side gifts at the usual intervals (birthdays, christmasses, other major milestones) which I haven't settled on in detail at all yet. But I have years to figure these things out.

The most unusual aspect of this gift-project to me is the relentless EVERY WEEK part of it that is 100% core to this entire project. One of the goals here is to expose him to music that his friends and local family will never have heard and that he would otherwise never get to decide if he likes it or not.

Dave Matthews Band. I had no idea that the ubiquitous melodic panty-wetter of my frustrated youth would be the spark of discussion this thread has been lacking. I ignore this thread for most of the week, though of course I obsessively check the view count every time I log in. I didn't log in to the forums for like 2 days and there are 6 new posts! Yippeee!

Gone Fashing posted:

They're not actually preventing me from doing anything, except maybe a bit of work that I would have procrastinated away on nothingness and stupidity if I hadn't been thinking up "witty" (i.e. not witty) replies to legitimate criticism and discussion. But I do appreciate your support, cheers!

syntaxfunction posted:

This is why I suggested having a writeup for each album, your personal notes, what you think they might enjoy or hate, etc.
Yeah 500 albums are a big clump and they may never listen to it. But I'd be so loving stoked if I got a book someone had written that kind of tracked how I grew over time, reflected in random albums.
Would I give a poo poo about Dave Matthews? Probably not. Would it be cool to see a writeup that was like "hey you've really learned to chill out recently and this is the sort of vibes I think you'd enjoy. Blah blah blah".
Like someone paying attention to my personality over time and writing about how music may or may not work for me would personally thrill me. That'd be fantastic. Even if the MP3s themselves are useless they can use the book and just Spotify it or whatever service is going at the time.
But presents were rare as gently caress for me, and thought out presents were non-existent, so maybe I'm just a weirdo.
Thanks for reminding me about the notebook idea, two nights ago I cracked open the nice notebook I'd bought months ago for that and started writing to my nephew, and put in a little blurb and some crappy drawings (my pencil skills are weak, which means I don't try, but I figure he'll appreciate the childlike clunkiness when he's older. Like in his thirties or something, my doodles suck) for the collection of music I kicked this project off with.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

I have an inkling, but what he currently likes is less important to me than what he might like - and what he'll know he likes, dislikes, tolerates, hates, or just can't get out of his head if he hears 2 bars - when he's older, having been exposed to all sorts of magpie-throws-money-at-shiny-things weekly inputs of novelty.

Are you sending this music to him weekly or is he going to get it all when you’re done? If you sent it weekly you might get feedback on what he likes. You could start a correspondence. It would be a good chance to expose yourself to him. no don’t do that!

Like what if he’s just really into rap music?

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 14, 2021

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

BigFactory posted:

Are you sending this music to him weekly or is he going to get it all when you’re done? If you sent it weekly you might get feedback on what he likes. You could start a correspondence. It would be a good chance to expose yourself to him. no don’t do that!
Both! (not the exposing part) This is the early stage of the project, I haven't sent him anything, yet. He doesn't even know I'm doing this, nor does his mother because I still haven't gotten around to talking to her. Major poo poo happened in their lives not too long ago so partly I'm waiting for that to settle down. Mainly, I'm lazy and easily distracted. He'll turn 10 years old in early March 2022, and that's when I plan to start sending him A) the pile* so far and B) one thing a week. I'm very much looking forward to watching his taste in music evolve and expand, and as soon as he starts asking me about specific bands or songs I'll start moving the decision-making ("What shall I get this week?") onto him, gradually. That's the plan, anyways. I don't want to put any pressure on him, if he doesn't listen to the latest songs right away I will not be bothered, but I'm not sure how to convince him of that. It'll be a process, and interesting and fun, I think.

More communication is always good, so yes I'm hoping to start a regular or semi-regular correspondence with him, mixed snailmail and email I think.

BigFactory posted:

Like what if he’s just really into rap music?
This is a risk I'm willing to take. Maybe I'll just be really into rap music for a few years. There are worse fates. If I really don't like the music there's no obligation on my end to listen to it more than once. I've been happily surprised and impressed by some of the music I've bought so far that was well outside of my usual comfort zone.

And, that album #100 I mentioned? Run-D.M.C. He'll have a solid foundation regardless. And he'll be getting other foundations, too SOUNDTRACKS TO BROADWAY MUSICALS!

* The pile. One idea I'm leaning towards at the moment is to select one song from each album to send for him on his 10th birthday - 120 songs (or so) should be much less overwhelming than 120 albums (or so). Then I'll back-fill the full albums later, either a few songs at a time or just rest-of-album at some intervals.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
075 Great Big Sea - Play 210804
Great Big Sea has long been a band I wanted to hear more of, their songs were very popular among my friends when I was in high school.
I couldn't find a website for the band - not even a Facebook page - but they seem to have retired as a band, and the former lead singer, Alan Doyle, is still active making music.
https://alandoyle.ca/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wcjBU8zbdY
Ordinary Day, the first track on the album. I haven't seen many music videos set in a rugby match.

Sea shanties, pop songs, and some over-the-top "We're from NEWFOUNDLAND" themes.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
076 Paul Kelly - Songs from the South - Greatest Hits 1985-2019 2 CD 210811
I needed something to fit the starting date of the Ekka, the Royal Queensland Show, which started on 11 August this year. Paul Kelly's songs are very much in line with rural QLD and farming and so forth, though he's much more progressive than the background politics of QLD.
https://www.paulkelly.com.au/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01FrYy7HdSk
You're 39, You're Beautiful And You're Mine, because my wife was 39 years old (still) in August 2021, making this greatest-hits a bit more personally relevant.

I had a chance to visit Brisbane, where the Ekka happens, in June, staying with family friends. Over dinner, I asked about music and the Ekka. The consensus opinion was that the big agriculture show (yes, they have a "best cow" prize, and ridiculous foods, often served on a stick) wasn't really strongly associated with music. There would be live music, mostly local or regional country music acts and/or cover bands. It's not a music festival. However, the small town of Dirranbandi, several hundred kilometres west of Brisbane was having a music festival that night, headlined by Paul Kelly and friends. I listened to one or two songs and I realized I had to include Mr Kelly at some point in this project, regardless of coincidental Wednesdays, so it might as well be during an alternative to the Ekka in southwest QLD (geographicallty, Dirranbandi is about halfway between the east coast and the border with South Australia, but population distribution and colonial history being what it is, everything west of the Great Dividing Range is considered "west").

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
077 James Bennett - This Time Tomorrow 210818
I saw James Bennett perform live at a small festival in my city during the pleasant interlude before the Delta variant rampaged across Australia and shut such things down.
https://www.jamesbennettmusic.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUWUw2H_bBE
Gypsy Love, the video on the album launch page from 2019.

Australia avoided the worst of the COVID-19 pandemic. Here in Armidale, a small city of ~25 000 on top of the Great Dividing Range, we had zero cases of the disease between April of 2020 (4 cases, only 1 of which was local transmission) and June of 2021, when the Delta variant overwhelmed the defensive measures put in place to combat the less-transmissible earlier variant. The upshot, in May 2021, was that we were feeling pretty good about our good luck in being here while the rest of the world suffered multiple waves of infection. So good, that the city council went ahead with a beer, BBQ, and music festival in the park in the middle of town, inagurating what everyone hopes will be a regular event, the The Big Chill. May marks the start of the austral winter, and at 1000m above sea level we actually get some cooler weather (Australians know Armidale mainly as a place that gets cold). I've never seen it, but sometimes it snows here. Hence, "Big Chill".

https://www.bigchill.com.au/

I took some pictures at the event. Not of Mr Bennett while he was performing, but here's one of the stage from the second row of pink beanbags set on the grass.
Armidale Big Chill Festival 2021 09 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
At the time, this felt rather profound, because we had live music and no masks and other signs of "normality" while the rest of the world was in various levels of lockdown.

Of course, all of this came crashing down about a month later. Armidale went into a lockdown that lasted about 4 weeks, with longer work-from-home periods mandated by my employer, the local university (the university is justifiably TERRIFIED of a case of COVID happening on campus, it would seriously affect the plans and hopes to bring back high-fee-paying international students). Still, the beer was good, the food was great, and at least one of the performances was really good. I think James Bennett was the only perfomer - each of a small number got 2-hour sets - to do only his own original music, everyone else was a cover band of some description. The last performers were some younger guys recently graduated from the country music school in Tamworth, the larger city an hour or so south of Armidale. I did not like their stuff very much. There's something oddly off-putting about an Australian trying to emulate the accent of a mish-mash of top-40 country singers from the southern USA. Plus the bass player was even more boring than most.
Armidale Big Chill Festival 2021 10 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
He never moved.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
078 Zombie Hyperdrive - Hyperion 210825
I bought this on Bandcamp after reading a micro-review on Steve Jackson Games, a boardgames (and similar things) publisher I've been a fan of for pretty much my whole life.
https://newretrowave.bandcamp.com/album/hyperion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJpvegmziMg
The full album on YouTube. None of the videos I could find were actually videos, all were visually just a still of some of the art from this album. I like the art.

A bit of chill from a publisher (?) called New Retro Wave. It is reminiscent of early synthesizers from the 1980's, with some science fiction themes. Plus, I like the name of the band and of the album. As one of the comments (never read the comments) says:

Some YouTube Commenter posted:

Imagine
In the middle of the night
Only you in your car on an empty highway
Driving as fast as you can
And playing this song
That can just be awesome

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
079 Dr John - Gumbo Blues 210901
Dr John was a suggestion from my wife. She's heard his music since childhood (her father had a good record collection). Needed some blues.
https://nitetripper.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k1aG987Siw
The full album. I bought it on Bandcamp, and the image is clearly an older one, but the album itself seems to have been compiled recently. Maybe after his death? He died in June of 2019, and YouTube claims this is from 2020.

I bought this back in March, but I retconned the album later because I needed to back-fill an album to an earlier date that had suddenly acquired some importance: Måneskin's win at Eurovision (#64) in May.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
080 Britney Spears - The Essential Britney Spears 210908
Placed into this spot because this was the week that Britney's father stepped down from his Conservatorship role. The saga continues, of course, but the second week of September 2021 marks a major step.
https://www.britneyspears.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-u5WLJ9Yk4
... One More Time. Had to be this one, you know that. It's the first track on this Greatest Hits I bought on iTunes when I read the news about her father.

Britney Spears is, all arguments aside, a very influential and globally famous musician, dancer, and performer. Her legal troubles - and the mental health issues that both precede and stem from her treatment - are complex and set important precedents in law (I hope) and in popular culture (I believe). Rather than struggle to understand her discography and the ethics of what looks like, from this distance, a lot like indentured servitude, I just went for the easy option of getting a large number of songs (32 over two "disks") covering almost her entire career. Job done, and now when I hit shuffle on my phone, sometimes I get BRITNEY.

EDIT: Just skimmed her Wikipedia article, and tomorrow is her 40th birthday. So that lines up nicely, too. Happy Birthday Britney!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
081 The Weakerthans - Fallow & Left and Leaving 210915
The Weakerthans were more than simply a band from Winnipeg, they were a Winnipeg band, with several songs about the city and its people.
https://theweakerthans.bandcamp.com/ Bandcamp page.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgJ6soX18R8
Left and Leaving, title track from their second album and with Winnipeg clearly as a character in the song.

My nephew lives near Winnipeg so I'm happy to let my completionism work on this band. I refer to them in the past tense because, according to Wikipedia and the singer's Twitter, The Weakerthans have been "cryogenically frozen" and the members are all doing other things these days. So there's a chance I'll be able to collect all of their stuff over the next few years.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
082 Bashiri Asad - LIVE From Somewhere 210922
https://bashiriasad.bandcamp.com/ Bandcamp page.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afHe_AW36og
"A Girl Named Charlie". I stumbled on this song somehow and it has personal relevance to me. So of course I had to add this album to this project. And I elected not wait for years until the perfect Wednesday lined up with it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
083 Drake - Views 210929
Canada's best-known rapper.
https://drakerelated.com/#front
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK66VqtvPd0
Keep The Family Close - seems appropriate for this project, and it's the first track on this album.

I like the album cover here, Drake sitting on top of the CN Tower and looking out over Toronto. The first time I listened to this album my headphones were not connected securely, and I was pretty disappointed by the middle of the album, when one side of the stereo output was missing. Not surprisingly, losing half of the output rendered the sound rather flat and weak. I'm dumb, and was distracted by doing other things while listening, which is why I didn't notice for about 10 songs.

I'm still trying to explore genres and styles of music that I have long ignored; Country and Rap / Hip-Hop are prominent here. I'm trying to get away from a particular cliche or stereotype that I previously fit squarely into: "I like all kinds of music! Except Country and Rap". You can get this as a T-shirt, as ironic or as serious as you like. I hope my nephew can avoid falling into such a trap - and there's a lot to like about Drake's music.

EDIT: the video became unavailable, so here's the boring just-the-audio version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Llmel3vNc

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 12, 2023

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
084 The Reckless Famous - 10 Stories & The Reckless Famous EP 211006
https://therecklessfamous.bandcamp.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dyfYb3knaM
Goodbye Sorrow, the first track on the EP and pretty much the only video (just the audio with the album cover) I could find.

I saw The Reckless Famous at a bar in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada while I was doing my PhD there (at the university, not the bar. The Capital has a good stage but lacks crucial research infrastructure). It was a kind of battle-of-the-bands event that I ended up at because some friends were in the habit of hanging out at this bar on weeknights. I had cooler friends back then. I don't think The Reckless Famous were contestants, there were two other performances by high school students: The Undecided (they had not yet chosen a name at that point) and a solo guitarist going by the handle Nolan Shredz. Later, The Reckless Famous announced on their FaceBook page that Nolan Shredz had joined the band; I'm not sure if he's still with them, there were some confusing "RIP" messages on FB about a year ago - I think a relative of Nolan's had died (not Mr. Shredz himself) and he had taken some time away from the band. But I'm not sure.

There is an unlimited supply, everywhere, of up-and-coming bands and musicians that probably deserve some attention (and a few dollars). I could easily get lost in Bandcamp and make an entire decade-long project just digging through one-off releases and perpetual small-club performers. Rather than that, I've picked a small number of qualities a relatively unknown band has to have to be considered here. A band being majority or entirely Indigenous, especially in either Canada or Australia, is one of those qualities. The Bandcamp page for The Reckless Famous prominently describes their origins as Treaty 6, a block of land in the Canadian Prairies covering parts of Saskatchewan and Alberta. Without getting into the complex and often shameful history of Canada's treaty system with its native peoples, I got my PhD on Treaty 6 land, and did my field work in Nunavut, Canada's (and possibly the world's) largest-area Indigenous-governed territory. I'm not Indigenous, I'm a clueless white guy perched atop Mount Privilege and wondering what the fuss is about, but I do try to pay attention to these things.
The Reckless Famous 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
I did not get many good photos of The Reckless Famous, but I think this one is OK.

The Undecided 18 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
This is a better representative of the quality of my photography that night - photo taken through a recently-emptied beer glass.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
085 The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds 211013
Recommended by Nam Taf on page one of this thread: "I refuse to write words here"
https://www.thebeachboys.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6Uc_Gi7gdM
A live performance from 1980 of "Sloop John B", one of my favourites from this album.

The Wikipedia article for this album is interesting, and this album shows up on Rolling Stone's top 500 albums of all time list as a very, very influential album - as in, there's a "before Pet Sounds" and an "after Pet Sounds" dividing line in popular music. So, obviously a classic.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
086 Bolt Thrower - Realm of Chaos 211020
Another thread recommendation, from Cobra Commander.
http://www.boltthrower.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxeVYXj2rgs
Realm of Chaos, the title track. The whole album is on Youtube, this is part of that playlist.

I went back and forth a bit on getting my nephew a metal album for his 10th birthday. Then I thought about what I was listening to when I was 10, 11, 12 years old - my family was living in England at the time because of my father's job. I went to an American school, and I have some fairly clear memories of listening to tapes on the bus. At the time, I think my listening habits were limited to Def Leopard, Bon Jovi, Guns N' Roses, and whatever was playing on the car radio when I wasn't listening on my headphones in 1988-1990. I know I had the GnR album Lies at that time, probably a birthday present (from a friend, I think).

Bolt Thrower is based on the world of Warhammer 40K, which is either good clean fun for a preteen boy or the devil himself, depending on your point of view. If you actually listen to them, though, the lyrics are basically incomprehensible and it doesn't matter, he gets a chance to discover a different genre of music.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
087 nêhiyewak - nipiy 211027
Another Bandcamp find, this time a runner-up in the 2020 Polaris Prize that BackxWash won (44) that also hails from Treaty 6 in western Canada.
https://nehiyawak.bandcamp.com/album/nipiy Bandcamp link to their only album, so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAa0R3AD_mM
All of the Polaris prize finalists get a video made with help from the CBC. This one, unlike for BackxWash, is not a straightforward music video for one of their songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6NzvPEZF4I
And here's a video for one of their songs, tommaso. The lack of capitalization follows what they write.

The word that gets attached to these guys most often is "shoegaze". I had to look this up, according to Wikipedia it's a genre or sub-genre of music characterised by lots of effects pedals. This means the musicians spend much of their time looking at their own feet, tapping various pedals. There's some other stuff about typical styles of behaviour on stage that points towards limited movement and lots of blank, expressionless faces. I like this style of music, at least to listen to. It makes for good background or atmosphere music for mid-intensity activities, like a relaxed drive through the countryside (or, less glamorously, house chores). I don't know if I'd like it as much attending a concert because I like lots of movement and activity on the stage from the musicians I'm listening to and watching. But I haven't had a chance to see any shoegaze perfomances, yet.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
088 UB40 - The Very Best of UB40 1980-2000 211103
A very famous band, famous for most of their hits, and most of their music, being covers of songs written and previously performed by others.
https://ub40.global/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXt56MB-3vc
Red, red wine - of course. Their most famous cover, of what was originally a Neil Diamond song from 1967.

I retconned this into this week in honour of founding member Astro's (Terrence Wilson) death on 6 November. I had asked about UB40 in the "Where do I start with X?" thread but nobody replied. I guess most people have little respect for cover bands, regardless of their commercial success and influence. I needed to inject some Reggae into this project, and I quite like UB40's take and re-interpretation of these older songs.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
089 Kyle Hollingsworth - Never Odd or Even 211110
I bought this album for the title, a palindrome, to mark 21-11-12 (in my year-month-day system).
http://kylehollingsworth.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNONyul5plk
"Boo-boo's Pik-A-Nik", an actual video rather than audio with a still image, or a full live performance.

This is, according to Kyle's website, a jazz-infused album, and I thought I needed at least a little jazz in this project. Mr. Hollingsworth is best-known for playing in the jam band, The String Cheese Incident, which from the concert videos I've seen seems like an exceptionally well-organised party that somebody invited a few local musicians to (who happen to be world-class performers). His website also talks quite a bit about the various collaborations he's been involved in, touring and performing with lots of other musicians, none of whom had names I recognised.

The songs on this album are mostly instrumentals, though there is some singing, and some vocal jazz (a subgenre my wife very much does not like, in which a voice is used as an instrument rather than singing words). Kyle is primarily a piano- or keyboard-player (I just recently learned about differences between digital pianos and keyboards) and he works with plenty of other instrument-players, such as the guitarist in the video.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
090 Polysics - Weeeeeeeeee!!! 211117
http://www.polysics.com/
https://jpurecords.com/collections/polysics JPU records, the English-language distributor of Polysics and lots of other Japanese music. I bought this album from JPU, it came with translated lyrics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yi3dLek4SI
"Everybody Say No", one of the few songs from this recent album I could find on YouTube.

Polysics were suggested by Good Soldier Svejk, though the suggested album was We Ate the Machine. I could not find that album for sale anywhere that ships to Australia, so I went with Weeeeeeeeee! It's very-high-energy New Wave, influenced by DEVO (and, perhaps, cocaine). This music is too high-energy for me to put on in the background, I have to pay attention to it. It's frenetic, loud (never play this quietly, it's a sin), and incomprehensible (because most of the lyrics are in Japanese, often shouted through a distortion microphone).

EDIT: corrected spelling of the album name - 10 'e' and three exclamation points.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 7, 2022

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

ExecuDork posted:

087 nêhiyewak - nipiy 211027
Another Bandcamp find, this time a runner-up in the 2020 Polaris Prize that BackxWash won (44) that also hails from Treaty 6 in western Canada.
https://nehiyawak.bandcamp.com/album/nipiy Bandcamp link to their only album, so far.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAa0R3AD_mM
All of the Polaris prize finalists get a video made with help from the CBC. This one, unlike for BackxWash, is not a straightforward music video for one of their songs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6NzvPEZF4I
And here's a video for one of their songs, tommaso. The lack of capitalization follows what they write.

The word that gets attached to these guys most often is "shoegaze". I had to look this up, according to Wikipedia it's a genre or sub-genre of music characterised by lots of effects pedals. This means the musicians spend much of their time looking at their own feet, tapping various pedals. There's some other stuff about typical styles of behaviour on stage that points towards limited movement and lots of blank, expressionless faces. I like this style of music, at least to listen to. It makes for good background or atmosphere music for mid-intensity activities, like a relaxed drive through the countryside (or, less glamorously, house chores). I don't know if I'd like it as much attending a concert because I like lots of movement and activity on the stage from the musicians I'm listening to and watching. But I haven't had a chance to see any shoegaze perfomances, yet.

hey these guys sound good--thanks for postin' them! hadn't heard of them before.

also, if you're unfamiliar with a lot of shoegaze, definitely definitely check out My Bloody Valentine.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

yeah ok ok yeah posted:

hey these guys sound good--thanks for postin' them! hadn't heard of them before.

also, if you're unfamiliar with a lot of shoegaze, definitely definitely check out My Bloody Valentine.
I'm really happy you like them. A big part of this is exploring lesser-known musicians and music, and if other people also find stuff they like that's great!

The next time Valentine's Day falls on a Wednesday is in 2024, so I'll put a My Bloody Valentine album there. Assuming my nephew agrees - by then he'll be almost 12 years old and may have decided on something else.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
091 Bruce Cockburn - Live (Deluxe Edition) 211124
I felt I needed to get some Bruce Cockburn into this project, somewhere.
https://brucecockburn.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7vCww3j2-w
If I Had A Rocket Launcher, possibly his most famous song.

Fun fact: in 2009, Bruce visited his brother, Captain John Cockburn, who was a doctor serving with Canada's forces in Afghanistan, and he gave a performance of this song and afterwards was (temporarily) presented with an actual rocket launcher after the show. Unfortunately, I can find no reports that he immediately travelled to Guatemala to make some son of a bitch die.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
092 Phil Collins - The Singles 211201
Another so-famous-I-gotta, plus I've wanted to have some of Phil's music for a while.
I can't find a website for Phil Collins that is not a FaceBook page or some other nonsense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkADj0TPrJA
In The Air Tonight, one of his biggest hits.

I had known Phil Collins as the musician behind some mildly up-tempo songs, like Sussudio and Another Day in Paradise, but the majority of these songs - 33 tracks on 2 CDs - are much slower. Only now, googling for his website do I discover that he's a favourite of so-called "smooth rock" radio, and that one song I'd been thinking of as his is actually from his time in Genesis (No Son of Mine). Oh well, there are some very good songs in this collection, even if the overall energy level is considerably lower than I was (naively) expecting.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
093 The Crystal Method - The Trip Home 211208
https://thecrystalmethod.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZJsjPY2A3w
The Raze, first track on this album.

I had a plan to see The Crystal Method in Australia in the first week of December, 2021, but the tour was postponed by a year - so I have another chance! I decided against going to Sydney in December because I had too many things going on in my life at the time, and Covid was waving at us here again (hence the postponement, I suppose). I have a couple of other albums by The Crystal Method from years ago, I really like the music for long nighttime drives.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
094 Amy Shark - Love Monster 211215
https://www.amyshark.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K4KwuV2l4s
I Said Hi, the song she performed for Fire Fight Australia (#6).

One of the few songs on that benefit album with lyrics that seemed to fit the theme and background:

Amy Shark - I Said Hi posted:

Tell 'em all I said hi
Hope you been well
You've been asleep
While I've been in hell
for a concert to benefit Australian communities devastated by massive wildfires.

Also, I quite like her voice and her music. This is the first purchase based on that album, which I bought mainly to explore current (-ish) Australian popular music. Not much else really struck me, but I should dig into it again. I went for a physical CD rather than iTunes partly because many of Amy's songs have a strong bass line (to my ears) and I have a Sony CD player that puts out some great low-end signal (again, to my ears). Of course, that CD player has stopped working - it was $20 from the tip shop, a store that exists to divert saleable materials from the landfill. Prices are set with a wave and a shrug, and this CD player worked well for several months. The amp and speakers and so forth still work great, but the CD player has stopped recognising CDs in the tray. Oh well, a weekend project sometime. Back to Amy Shark - I had purchased this in June of 2021 and slotted it into September but that was the week I decided to celebrate Britney (#80) so I bumped Amy back into fire season (though this year has been very wet and there hasn't been anything like the 2019/2020 fires).

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
095 Étienne Fletcher - Entre Deux 211222
https://www.etiennefletcher.com/en/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQSGgZe5qlw
L'intrus, the only single from this album that has an official video at this point.

I saw Étienne Fletcher and his band play at the music festival I keep talking about, Ness Creek, in 2017. They're from a northern Saskatchewan town that primarily speaks French, one of a number of settlements across the northern parts of the Canadian prairie provinces that preserve the legacy of French exploration and trade. Shortly after this concert, they released a pair of EPs, one mainly in French, the other mainly in English: Face A / Side A. I bought those more or less as soon as I could and I've been following his work since then, waiting for a chance to include a new release in this project. They came through for me in October of 2021 with Entre Deux. I generally stay about 2 months ahead on this project to allow for shipping times for physical media and because I want to have everything ready to go for the period immediately after he becomes aware of all of this in early March of this year. Speaking of, I really need to get in touch with his mother and keep this project going in the right direction.

Here's a photo of the man himself from that show in 2017. For some reason, I haven't yet edited and uploaded most of my photos from that summer - perhaps this will help me fix that soon.
Etienne Fletcher by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
096 Powderfinger - Fingerprints & Footprints The Ultimate Collection 211229
https://powderfinger.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM_eb0vVo0k
My Happiness, one of Powderfinger's songs that I'd heard before.

I saw this 2-CD greatest hits collection at the Tip Shop, but I hadn't bought it immediately because a) it was more expensive than most things at the Tip Shop, which only takes cash and b) I wasn't 100% certain I wanted to include this band in this project. I went home and listened to some of there stuff and decided I certainly did want to. But we didn't visit the Tip Shop again for a couple of months (local lockdown and other restrictions coincided with this period here) and when I asked about it I was told somebody had bought it just a few days earlier. The set for sale, that somebody must have either donated or forgotten about inside some other donated item was a special package that included a poster or two and some other memorabilia from the band (I think it might have been signed, too) in addition to the two albums. I saw it on eBay as soon as I got home after missing the chance to buy it. I ended up getting the basic 2-CD, no extras set from JB Hi-Fi for about $2 more than from Amazon - justified by keeping this as Australian as I can to put a finishing touch on 2021.

Powderfinger has become one of my favourite discoveries in this project.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Feb 8, 2022

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

you should just give your nephew a gift card to whatever they actually use to listen to music (its 2022 so probably not an mp3 player) so they can buy stuff they actually enjoy and will listen to op

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Previa_fun posted:

you should just give your nephew a gift card to whatever they actually use to listen to music (its 2022 so probably not an mp3 player) so they can buy stuff they actually enjoy and will listen to op

Because nothing says "I care" like a gift card, right?

Plus, the point of the exercise is to give the kid a wide array of music so they can develop their tastes. They may not like all of it - probably won't - but by God they'll be making an informed decision.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I got into DMB when I was 16.

Stellar musicianship. Don't understand the hate towards them honestly (is it the lack of a "rock n roll" lifestyle? Is it because of people spotting groups of white matcha liberals doing Tai chi in the park to 'Crash Into Me'?)

I take it back. That's rock n' roll.

I have a soft spot for a couple albums but if you listen to Dave sing for 10 seconds it’s easy to see why people hate them

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Look at those guys move around!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNgJBIx-hK8

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

So it seems there is a tendency for goons to stick their oar in with recommendations? Well, if you don't mind...

First, I note that you say you don't like country at all. This is not an entirely unwise decision, but it does mean you're passing on Toronto's Cowboy Junkies. The CJs are known for their merging of subdued trad country with rock and jazz undertones. Here's a couple of cuts from both ends of their range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caazL5KFFQY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILiDG6m4I1A

In a similar vein, there's folk singer Janis Ian. She started her career as a recording artist in the 1960s when she was 14, and by her 15th birthday had received her first death threats for Society's Child, her song about interracial puppy love. As an adult she became a name in the 1970s with the classic albums Stars, Between The Lines and Night Rains before coming out as gay and entering a 7 year hiatus. (Ironically, just before this she'd declined Rhea Perlman's role in Cheers because it would have taken her away from recording and touring.) A resurgence in the mid-90s led to what she described as her third and longest career; now 71, she's releasing what she says is her final studio album next month after a 15 year break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmcJdYGlGwM

Next: Lush. You can't put a foot wrong here; they were pioneers of shoegaze and practically defined the genre. My recommended album would be the 2001 best of compilation Ciao! as it includes the EP track Sweetness and Light, but any of their three studio albums would be good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRHxjg1a_Cg

Finally, a change of pace with the EDM masters Orbital. Orbital are best known for their improvisation - unlike many EDM acts they sequence their sets live, and the entire Wonky album was designed for live performance. They don't treat any piece of music as a finished work, instead evolving it over the years. Because of the atmosphere of their gigs I'd recommend a live show like Eventim Hammersmith Apollo 2017 over a studio album - I was there and can attest that it loving slaps - but if you want a studio album it's probably In Sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qddG0iUSax4

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I would recommend getting your nephew Television's Marquee Moon, Miles Davis' Sketches Of Spain, and Big Star's #1 Record and Alice Cooper album Billion Dollar Babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah ok ok yeah
May 2, 2016

Previa_fun posted:

why not both?

but also i don't mind checking out these music recs and have found a few artists i like, so the thread should continue