Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
This is cute, I'm mostly a lurker but I guess I'll post just to bump this.

I'm BougieBitch, a white gay from Indiana who hosed off out of the state as soon as humanly possible. Both of my parents were professors, so I had a privileged upbringing as far as education went, but my dad died when I was still in elementary school and I spent basically all of my school years coping with depression and ADHD. I got good grades despite that, and was able to get the National Merit Scholarship, which, at the time, was good for full tuition at a few institutions still, so I took the chance to move out to the northeast to get a degree in biology. However, full tuition didn't include room and board, and my mom refused to cosign a loan or otherwise help me pay for the other expenses, which I had been paying for out of the remnants of my dad's Social Security survivor payouts, so I transferred to my hometown college where I ended up paying less for (discounted) tuition, an apartment, and food than I would have for any one of the three. I finished in another year and moved back out to Boston to escape the sucking void of life and culture that is the Midwest, but I didn't manage to find a job that used my degree and I had to couchsurf for a bit while trying to find an apartment that would lease to me with no income stream. Literally the day I finally was able to move in somewhere I got a call from my stepdad telling me my mom had committed suicide by ODing on pain pills and so basically everything went back to square one.

It's now 5 years later and I struck out on each of a series of attempts to become employable (couldn't get into grad school because I didn't have lab experience, had a terrible time with a teacher credentialing program, and just finished getting a second degree in computer science right into the middle of the pandemic), but things are mostly stable now cuz I got lucky with dating and am now married to someone who can support my dumb depressed rear end while I try to get my life sorted.

I'd consider myself pretty leftist in terms of policy preference, but I tend to butt heads with the doomers and anti-incrementalists. Part of that is due to good experiences working within the system to get what I needed on the state level with Medicaid and on the national level with my dad's SS benefits, which obviously isn't typical for most posters/Americans. I also tend towards wonkish policy due to being from a family of eggheads, and I pay the closest attention to education, healthcare, and the Supreme Court. The threads I most regularly frequent are USPol, the Coronavirus thread, and the SC thread, though I also glance at the Israel/Palestine thread when it moves up to the first page and I've started reading the Poliwonks thread lately.

Right now I'm working with a mutual aid org in my area to try to get food distributed to the unemployed and undocumented people in my city, which has been a lot more rewarding than repeatedly slamming my head into a wall with job apps. I'm hoping companies will start hiring more soon though, so I can at least have something on my resume before I'm 30. Fingers crossed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU