Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are ghosts real?
Yes.
No.
Impossible to judge one way or another.
I've heard on warm nights in Shibuya you can hear Takei's spirit whisper about Tezuka art and Porsches
View Results

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

While we wait, we have the opening and it's full of references to the original openings, that's very cute. It's also hyper spoilery, which is not an issue for most in this thread I imagine but will definitely be for anyone who hasn't seen the original series or read the manga. I don't think we should have the full team shown in the first episode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emrOpnSCYao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Waffleman_ posted:

It's a rough speedsub with no intent yet to do the whole thing.

It's a pretty decent speedsub though. Some weirdly written/gramatically incorrect lines and one pretty obvious mistranslation (Amidamaru says he will run away, then says he can't run away - because the first line was him telling Mosuke he should run away) but overall quite readable. I'd still wait for official subs though.

The episode itself was fine. Animation was nothing special, though I imagine they're waiting for Ren's fight to properly show some cool cuts. Art was consistently pretty, and hopefully will remain on that level. The adaptation itself seems fine, I feared it may be rushed but honestly it may just be that the original anime was paced much slower and my brain's confusing anime and manga.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

I forget, was the flashback at the very beginning from the manga or was it something the anime added?

It's from the manga, but it happened significantly later there. The anime's first episode shuffled a few things around, just as putting that at the beginning so the Hao plot is instantly set up, and moving Mosuke earlier to speed up Amidamaru joining Yoh.

Wark Say posted:

Most of the cast uses their OG VA's, it's just like... maybe 2 or 3? of the main ensemble cast had changes. Just like how most of the Fate/Stay Night cast has not changed much in almost 15 years either aside from, like, 2 retired/dead voice actors.

From what I've seen, of the confirmed VAs, literally only Yoh's has changed. Everyone else is the original. There's clearly a lot of effort to keep the feel of the original anime here, which I appreciate.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Smoking Crow posted:

it does make the series feel more cohesive

early shaman king has powerful "i dont know what the plot is yet" energy

Definitely. There's a few chapters about Yoh's random life with ghosts before the Shaman King tournament proper starts and defines the series from there on. I imagine those will get dropped or heavily condensed in favour of getting to the main plot quickly.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Can't say I'm exactly in love with this adaptation so far. I thought the lackluster animation last week was because it wasn't much of a fight and we'd get something better this week, but instead we got a lot of stock footage used in very blatant ways. The pacing feels rushed with the cuts they did, even if I understand why they'd want to get to the proper Shaman King Tournament as fast as possible.

I hope stuff gets better when we get there and we just have a weak start, because as it is, this is really not doing a lot for me. The trailers looked beautiful but the series is okay at best, consistent art but mediocre animation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think this is as far as I go here. The subs were worse than ever this week, and they have never been good. I'll just wait for the official subs, as it is, the terrible fan subs are genuinely making my experience a lot worse.