Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Red Rox posted:

Here I'll share my embarrassing investments (spent $14 so far)
https://evaluate.market/accountValuation?externalUserName=Red_Rox

Thanks for the website. Looks like 1 of my 3 cards aren't showing up there yet but out of the other two I've got a ~$195 banger and a ~$9. Will probably sell the 2 cheaper cards and let the banger ride for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Can't list things on the marketplace at the moment

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So after reading the thread it seems like it may be a very very long time until I get to buy a pack. I swear this is the dumbest thing, but it also doesn’t seem to be at the collapse point, but eh if I get any cards, it seems like a decent potential market...I just have clue why people wants this...although I guess it’s cool that you never have to worry about the card getting damaged.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

you can try tonight at 5pst/8est and you'll have like a 25% chance maybe to get one. I don't know when the next one will go for sale after that, maybe tomorrow because they were gonna do 3 drops of this Seeing Stars $14 pack

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Sign ups are cancelled again, so RIP my ability to get in. I just want to spend 20 dollars and nod my head in satisfied disappointment when I get garbage, knowing that I was right all along.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fast Luck posted:

you can try tonight at 5pst/8est and you'll have like a 25% chance maybe to get one. I don't know when the next one will go for sale after that, maybe tomorrow because they were gonna do 3 drops of this Seeing Stars $14 pack

Yeah I was actually refreshing the page about an hour ago for a few minutes before I noticed the time zone PST. lol

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Gologle posted:

Sign ups are cancelled again, so RIP my ability to get in. I just want to spend 20 dollars and nod my head in satisfied disappointment when I get garbage, knowing that I was right all along.
It told me sign ups were closed when I joined. I just came in through a linked google account and that was allowed.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

MazelTovCocktail posted:

...although I guess it’s cool that you never have to worry about the card getting damaged.

Same time I heard about Top Shot I also heard of a site where you can buy shares in cards, like buying 25% of a Zion rookie card. That’s also bananas.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fast Luck posted:

It told me sign ups were closed when I joined. I just came in through a linked google account and that was allowed.

Pretty sure that’s how I signed up a week or so ago

Red Rox posted:

Same time I heard about Top Shot I also heard of a site where you can buy shares in cards, like buying 25% of a Zion rookie card. That’s also bananas.

Okay that is even more bonkers. I mean it’s kind of logical, but yeah even more goofy then the base concept.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

I think from the three drops this weekend, you are limited to only buying one, so you should have a decent chance at snagging a pack.

Get in there!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
88191. Yep don’t think I’m getting one tonight. :lol:

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page
63k, I might have a shot!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spencer for hire posted:

63k, I might have a shot!

Far more then me. With any luck people will miss their email. Granted I’m assuming that by 20 minutes in all those originally eligible have had their chance and whatever leftovers go to the next in the queue and so on until none are left, right? Basically by 20-40 minutes it should be vastly complete, right?

Edit: for a generation raised on buying stuff that is available in limited quantities online...people are taking their drat time. lol

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

^^^ good luck!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

88191. Yep don’t think I’m getting one tonight. :lol:

Aw man that's rough. Only 21,966 in front of me so got lucky again finally.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Are they still not letting you take money out?

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
44K for me. Beginners luck and comforting after I had a brain fart this AM and didn't remember to check the site until 9:15 AM.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

a new study bible! posted:

Are they still not letting you take money out?

Still can't get the money out lol

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Red Rox posted:

Still can't get the money out lol

:crossarms:

haha I'm rooting for you all

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I was able to get a pack in the first drop today.

I got:

Anthony Davis dunk [Seeing Stars] (#4485/10000)

Donovan Mitchell dunk [Base Set] (#16959/35000+)

Malcolm Brogdon 3 pointer [Base Set] (#4367/35000+)

So... are these good? How do I tell if they are worth anything?

Should I try to sell them immediately, or wait until the rush of sales from this drop slows down?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

RCarr posted:

I got:

Donovan Mitchell dunk [Base Set] (#16959/35000+)

Malcolm Brogdon 3 pointer [Base Set] (#4367/35000+)

So... are these good? How do I tell if they are worth anything?

Should I try to sell them immediately, or wait until the rush of sales from this drop slows down?

give it a few hours to update then go to either:
momentranks.com
or
evaluate.market

and type in your user name.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
11926 away and the line gets paused. Hope it comes back.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Just got mine from the 5 PM drop. I got:

James Harden Handles 1151/10,000

Deandre Jordan - Dunk 7538/35,000

Josh Okogie (?) - Assist 14,172/35,000

Seems like the Harden one might be worth a little something? Ones with similar serial #s seems to list for $400-600. No idea if that means anyone is paying that.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

RCarr posted:

I got:

The Davis one will probably be worth a decent amount - nice pull!

My best was this LuKa but it's only #7,569
https://www.nbatopshot.com/moment/Red_Rox+0cf5986c-407b-4c58-bc02-560787838881

Got this cool Miles Bridges dunk with a bonus LaMelo behind-the-back assist but again it's #8,343
https://www.nbatopshot.com/moment/Red_Rox+c47882cc-4d77-451b-932b-ba201d3bb572

Show us what you got guys!

EDIT: the Luka one seems to be worth at least $850 lol

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 6, 2021

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

A big goongrats to all our new crypto thousandairs

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Red Rox posted:

The Davis one will probably be worth a decent amount - nice pull!

My best was this LuKa but it's only #7,569
https://www.nbatopshot.com/moment/Red_Rox+0cf5986c-407b-4c58-bc02-560787838881

Got this cool Miles Bridges dunk with a bonus LaMelo behind-the-back assist but again it's #8,343
https://www.nbatopshot.com/moment/Red_Rox+c47882cc-4d77-451b-932b-ba201d3bb572

Show us what you got guys!

EDIT: the Luka one seems to be worth at least $850 lol

what does “worth” mean here when people can list these cards for whatever they want. is that going by the minimum listing or something?

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Booyah- posted:

what does “worth” mean here when people can list these cards for whatever they want. is that going by the minimum listing or something?

It doesn't mean poo poo! That's why this is so dumb. But yes you can look at the lowest ask, or look at the prices around your serial #

Here's my example: https://evaluate.market/editions?editionGuid=8b4d53eb-52d2-43a2-a996-68870d345065

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Booyah- posted:

In my experience you can sell for $5 less than current minimum and in most cases sell immediately so I am using that as value of the card.

Low serials typical fetch more but it's not really so clear as #1200 is better than #1500. It's more that the number of digits matter. A #245 often sells for more than a #1245 but you have to find a buyer who believes there's value there.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Just checked out, if you're still in line there were around 4100 packs left.

I got a Thaddeus Young dunk, a Bradley Beal layup, and a Larry Nance Jr. dunk. (all common)

edit:
3031 left now

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 6, 2021

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I got trash this time, my seeing stars was a zach Levine dunk with a bad serial

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Yeah, I advise people to not sell unless you're selling to flip for a better card. Like I wrote earlier, I missed out on like $900 because I sold my Cool Cats way too quick when it was like near $100 and then came challenges later on in the week where people need to collect certain cards and that same Cousins card was worth way more. Unless you can cash out, there's no real incentive to move things unless you know it's the highest it will ever get.

The regular marketplace is just as wild with the common cards. Seen Zubac as low as $8 and as high as $60 in the same week (after he Tweeted about it), and was just like $30 a few days ago after hitting that $8 mark. Buying really low cards could benefit people if they scoop a bunch of $3 cards of decent players and then suddenly the next week they're in the 20s or 30s. At least with the cards prior to this latest pack, not sure how the /35000 will affect all of that.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

I bought Zubac and Ibaka dunks for $1 each as a joke since they were the cheapest I could buy when I first registered. I think they both went up to $20+ for a while.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Yeah, I advise people to not sell unless you're selling to flip for a better card. Like I wrote earlier, I missed out on like $900 because I sold my Cool Cats way too quick when it was like near $100 and then came challenges later on in the week where people need to collect certain cards and that same Cousins card was worth way more. Unless you can cash out, there's no real incentive to move things unless you know it's the highest it will ever get.

Im just worried that people will realize these things have absolutely zero value, and my card that I could have sold for a few hundred dollars suddenly becomes worth 50 cents.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

RCarr posted:

Im just worried that people will realize these things have absolutely zero value, and my card that I could have sold for a few hundred dollars suddenly becomes worth 50 cents.

Yeah, I get that. Sometimes any profit is good profit but also not holding on to certain cards does sting. As long as there is demand though there is going to be some inherent value. At some point I think prices are going to go way down and stay there, but the fact that there's so many people trying to get in makes it harder to gauge when/if that will happen. For instance, a lot of people were panic selling LaVine at 150-160 just two hours ago and now it's $244. May go down again tomorrow but being patient even for a few hours is smart at times

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Seems like a lot of new members sell as soon as they get their first pack (that’s what I did) so the market gets a bit flooded. Like the Luka highlight went down to $650 for a bit as people sold and now it’s back up to $850.

Would be nice to compare different approaches and see what’s working.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

RCarr posted:

The same can be said about any collectable, artwork, precious metal, or crypto currency though. It's all human constructs all the way down. Our grand parents would have thought it inconceivable that pieces of cardboard with pictures of baseball players on them would be valuable.

spencer for hire
Jan 27, 2006

we just want to dance here, someone stole the stage
they call us irresponsible, write us off the page
I don’t see any reason to hold onto base commons that are uncapped with possible reprints (CC).

I plan on holding onto my LEs for a while to see what happens. I’m curious to see how much demand there will be for cards not part of the “challenges”

Now that I’m hooked, someone convince me that trying to corner a card is a dumb idea. There is a base set 2 Drummond dunk with a cap of 15k. 50 sellers right now between $16-25 and approx 1000 sellers total. For like a grand I could buy everything less than $25. If I could sell them all for $25 then the move would be slightly profitable after 5% selling fee.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I got my first pack on Thursday.

COLLIN SEXTON 3 Pointer Base Set (Series 2) #11525/35000+
ZION WILLIAMSON Dunk Base Set (Series 2) #1510/3475
STEPH CURRY 3 Pointer Seeing Stars (Series 2) #3620/10000

Sold my Zion for $150 since I don't want to stick more money in it and now I have some money to buy more packs with.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I'll give today's drop a shot but if i miss this one too that'll probably be the end of my interest for a while/forever.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The Luka card was going at about 900 yesterday and is about 675 now. I’ll wait until at least the ASG to see if anything good happens to pump up the prices before selling. If topshot gets talked up there I guess that’d get everyone buying more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey 41164! I’m getting one!