Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ForbiddenSock
May 12, 2020

Would using Nike brand socks for my seed be a cool flex?
Listen up goons, summer is coming and we need to hit the stores NOW if we don't have AC or else they will be sold out when the heatwaves come and it is already too late. I have been doing a lot of research on alternative cooling methods (evaporative coolers and such) but now that I got a big boy job I want to risk it all and get myself a goddamn ac unit so my goddamn apartment is less miserable in the goddamn heat.

I want to hear your opinions and thoughts on alternative cooling and any AC units you might recommend that wouldn't get me evicted for messing with the walls and windows of the place.

If you have any stories relating to attempts at cooling off in the summer share that poo poo too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Prescient. I moved back into my tiny 1940's place a year ago, bought a portable A/C that blows through the window. Much more comfortable, because I couldn't leave the house due to reasons, but probably the best $200 I ever spent.

Climate dependent -. I also have a portable swamp cooler which is a pain to use, but works okay on those sultry summer nights.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

You're only option is a window unit and it will keep your bedroom very cool.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
window units are very good. pro strat if you can't screw poo poo into the windows is to measure the distance from the top of the window to the top of the frame with the a/c installed, then cut a wood shim that length and insert it in that space to prevent the window from inadvertently going up. most of them come with L brackets iirc that are supposed to get put in the sill but it sounds like you won't be able to do that

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I read in the Texas storm thread that you are supposed to have very poor insulation so that heat escapes your house and cools you down in the summer.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I tied a rope around my ac and attached it to the radiator. Then I got a piece of wood and wedged it between the window and the frame to hold that fucker into place. A bit of cardboard and some duct tape above the unit to "seal" the window. Viola.

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Tom Brady said you just have to drink water, are you saying you're smarter than Tom Brady?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Lol, I'm stroking something hot at least

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I have a Honeywell 9,000 BTU portable AC unit. It has an exhaust hose and window piece that you can close your window onto without any permanent installations.

It's really good for cooling a single room but it probably won't cool down your whole apt/house.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Just piss all over yourself and sit on a chair

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If you keep stroking yourself faster and faster, you will generate rapid air movement and achieve cooling. Be wary of freezing to death

MackAddie
Jul 10, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rqZZgVxnCk

MackAddie fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Mar 5, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If you put enough heaters in your home, your heat will block out and keep the outside heat from getting in

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
According to some random site I found Florida is the hottest state and in the hottest state at the hottest time of the year it averages 90-92F as the high, sometimes going around 100F.

100F is 38C.

Y'all need to just drink some water and like stay out of the sun. Are you elderly or something? That's uncomfortable yeah but not outside of liveable, even if you're grumpy because of it.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if you can't take the heat, stay out of the summer!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Bag Flying At Noon, (2024)
Did you try opening a window op?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Evaporative coolers only work well in low humidity areas, so if you live in a desert type area they could be a good option. Otherwise get a window unit of some kind as I've heard the portables don't cool as well.

edit: you can build your own evaporative cooler if you're into DIY/a cheapskate

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 5, 2021

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1367622095165788162

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
good call op, mine keeps filling up with condensation and turning off with a 'water full' message so I need a new one and all the decent window units that aren't insanely overpriced are already on backorder. ended up with a 10k btu danby for 400 bucks, still pricy and also on backorder but I might get before june!

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

If I've learned anything from texas last week, the secret is to use zero insulation and run your AC full blast and throw away all your warm clothes. Good luck OP!

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

It's not the heat it's the humidity

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
If you have any windows that get blasted with the sun in the afternoon, evening, etc; put an awning or shade OUTSIDE on the EXTERIOR of the window, or even just to shade a porch or deck, to keep the heat out in the first place. Your house just got 5-10 degrees cooler.

And yeah, if you run an evaporative cooler, you have to open a window at the other end of the house to let the moisture escape. Otherwise humidity builds up and just ends up retaining heat and slowly cooking you.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Hey OP....

Is it.....

.....hot enough for ya? :grin:

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Ancient egyptians cooled their huts by building huge tombs for their kings. Archeologists have yet to discover how this helped exactly

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

syntaxfunction posted:

According to some random site I found Florida is the hottest state and in the hottest state at the hottest time of the year it averages 90-92F as the high, sometimes going around 100F.

100F is 38C.

Y'all need to just drink some water and like stay out of the sun. Are you elderly or something? That's uncomfortable yeah but not outside of liveable, even if you're grumpy because of it.

that's a bad random site. It gets over 100F here in Virginia for like a week or two, then you add 95% humidity and you're looking at a heat index of like 115

I'm sure Florida is worse.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

If you need to cool off, just take off all your clothes.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i just keep running really fast and the wind cools me off

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

syntaxfunction posted:

100F is 38C.

What. The. gently caress?

Yeah, no.

Also best heat is desert heat. I used to go jogging in L.A. in 105 degree weather and as long as you have a water bottle it’s cool. But the ~70% of the country where it’s like 120 with humidity you take one step outside and are already miserable

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
>go north

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Icochet posted:

>go north

*you have died of heat stroke*

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

syntaxfunction posted:

100F is 38C.

please post where you live, i wanna see what you're comparing from

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Don't get those floor units OP. Some nerdy guy in a brown jacket on youtube explained why they weren't that efficient and he made a good case.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

Just kill your landlord and take his place. Guaranteed he has central air.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Icochet posted:

Ancient egyptians cooled their huts by building huge tombs for their kings. Archeologists have yet to discover how this helped exactly

Always sharp razors, cool huts, these Egyptians knew what they were doing

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

syntaxfunction posted:

100F is 38C.

Florida's heat isn't even a big deal lol, it's the humidity literally choking you to death at the same time that's so dangerous.

Some days it's like breathing through a drinking straw. It's an asthma attack simulator.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i went to thailand in april let me tell you about heat

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Colonel Cancer posted:

Always sharp razors, cool huts, these Egyptians knew what they were doing

I dunno, it seems like they didn't really know what they were doing but nonetheless did it with commitment and skill not seen before or since. Ingenious lunatics.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Aegis Bear posted:

Florida's heat isn't even a big deal lol, it's the humidity literally choking you to death at the same time that's so dangerous.
also the lightning

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's nothing better than a tall glass of ice water after being hit by lightning in Florida

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I hang out in my bathroom, its the coolest room in the house