Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

when you spend a long time trying to solve a puzzle without looking it up and it turns out you solved it right away, the hit box was just so tiny on the solution that you thought you had it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

when you spend a long time trying to solve a puzzle without looking it up and it turns out you solved it right away, the hit box was just so tiny on the solution that you thought you had it wrong.

When you're not sure if you haven't found the solution, or if the physics engine just isn't cooperating.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

no indication of enemy health in a jrpg, and having to waste a turn for that data

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

water levels in general

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bouillon Rube posted:

water levels in general

mostly just the 3d ones IMO

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

the classic: unskippable cutscene before a hard fight that takes multiple attempts.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Party members who leave permanently, without a way to recover the gear they were wearing

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

party members that leave in games with encumbrance and dump all their gear on you. when arcade left for his quest in my first new vegas playthrough i had to slow walk all the way back from the ski lodge to the strip. took like an hour and a half

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fungah! posted:

party members that leave in games with encumbrance and dump all their gear on you. when arcade left for his quest in my first new vegas playthrough i had to slow walk all the way back from the ski lodge to the strip. took like an hour and a half

Hell, encumberance

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

really any kind of major limitation on inventory space.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fungah! posted:

A Hexenlike roguelite with elements of Myst and...Super Mario!? Dark souls!

Shovel Knight is a sweeping classic action adventure game with awesome gameplay, memorable characters, and an 8-bit retro aesthetic. It's a hot mashup of new and old that may remind you of Mega Man, Castlevania, or Dark Souls!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yachtclubgames/shovel-knight

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

did they say dark souls just because of the dropping money on death thing? different time i guess...

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

Shovel Knight is a sweeping classic action adventure game with awesome gameplay, memorable characters, and an 8-bit retro aesthetic. It's a hot mashup of new and old that may remind you of Mega Man, Castlevania, or Dark Souls!

+ epic Shovel Knight heroes!

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

love playing video games that remind me of video games

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Long mandatory tutorial section

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

i mean sure it doesnt mean the game is bad but man tell me that doesnt piss you off

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Fungah! posted:

i mean sure it doesnt mean the game is bad but man tell me that doesnt piss you off

i remember its funny and dumb 7 years later so yeah i think its lame

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dr Hibbett: *laughs* Why, this is simply a mild case of Castletroids! Avoid indie treasure Kickstarter a and be sure to adjust your widescreen settings and it should go away on its own.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

repetitive, unskippable text prompts every time you touch or pick up a marginal item

worst offender has to be the rocks you can lift with the glove in the original links awakening

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

I dont like when a rpg is easy for 40+ hours but the last boss is actually hard and you have to stop to grind when you just want the game to be over

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
british accents, in text form, make me mad. sorry yangus

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Unskipable tutorial/introductory levels (especially games that otherwise have good replay value)

Like it’s annoying having to go through all of the great plateau poo poo every time I start a new BotW game

Bicyclops posted:

mostly just the 3d ones IMO

Yeah, 3d platformers especially. Like I always get killed by that eel in Jolly Roger’s Bay because it’s super difficult to determine how close you are to it

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

when mashing the a button doesnt make the text scroll faster

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

When the QTE inputs change randomly after you fail. It always makes me fail again the second time

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

herculon posted:

When the QTE inputs change randomly after you fail. It always makes me fail again the second time

the re4 and re5 pc ports have randomized QTEs and it's always the weirdest poo poo. mashing capslock with all my might to run away from the boulder and for the ending dodge it makes me dodge IRL to my mouse to press every button on it

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

extremebuff posted:

the re4 and re5 pc ports have randomized QTEs and it's always the weirdest poo poo. mashing capslock with all my might to run away from the boulder and for the ending dodge it makes me dodge IRL to my mouse to press every button on it

That doesn't seem like a big deal on a game controller, but lmao that they do the same for pc keyboards

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the krauser fight is a whack-a-mole of completely random keys and mouse buttons, the croc section in re5 was even worse about this. i swear it used poo poo that wasn't even bound like PAGEUP

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

extremebuff posted:

no indication of enemy health in a jrpg, and having to waste a turn for that data

I don't mind the flavor of having to do a "scan" move one time the first time I encounter an enemy. Especially if it gives me a page in a little bestiary I can go look at later

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

extremebuff posted:

the krauser fight is a whack-a-mole of completely random keys and mouse buttons, the croc section in re5 was even worse about this. i swear it used poo poo that wasn't even bound like PAGEUP

lol that’s hosed up

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

IIRC RE5 only has like two different inputs for each QTE so if you know what they are you can just mash both and it’ll count.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Instant fail QTEs are annoying. Bayonetta had a few of those

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

goferchan posted:

I don't mind the flavor of having to do a "scan" move one time the first time I encounter an enemy. Especially if it gives me a page in a little bestiary I can go look at later

depends imo. like the boss i just did in bd2 had four separate enemies that i had to scan individually that dont appear anywhere else so i had to burn four turns scanning all of them. imo the best version is the scan move in ff13 that just scans everything on screen and doesnt cost very much

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

IIRC RE5 only has like two different inputs for each QTE so if you know what they are you can just mash both and it’ll count.

at some point i fat-fingered the buttons during fishing in yakuza 0 and it only reads the input of the right one so you can literally just mash all the buttons the whole time lmao

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I think FF7R let you analyze everything in the battle at once maybe after an upgrade or something. but pretty early into the game either way.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

When you start a new run of a roguelike and take loads of damage in the first room / get bad drops and wonder if you should restart or push on

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

If you have castletroids you should schedule an appointment with your doctor to get them removed safely

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

extremebuff posted:

You can just spam all the buttons in both ports for PC. Unlike GCN RE4, there's at least no instant fail for pressing the wrong buttons so just hammer away while characters waffle on/flap around and you'll survive every time. It's still utter poo poo that they exist though.

StabMasterArson posted:

When you start a new run of a roguelike and take loads of damage in the first room / get bad drops and wonder if you should restart or push on
I usually restart if the first few drops are crap, because fighting through with utter poo poo for the slight possibility of something good just isn't worth the stress.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Mar 5, 2021

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

rpgs where status buffs and heals have a chance to miss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

games where a game over takes you back to the splash screens / intro instead of letting you load a save right away