Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Dad books is a pretty vague genre, but the first things that comes to mind when I think of books from my dad is a Nathanael West collection he had that I read when I was young for the simple reason that the blurb on the back went impossibly hard. I took it with me when I left the country and this inspired me to dig it out and read it again

That's the essence of dad book, right there, though it's going to be real hard to beat "One Monday We Killed Them All" for a title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Brainworm posted:

Locust is actually pretty funny and I think the origin of the name "Homer Simpson." It's also where I learned about cockfighting.

Last I checked, the only place to find it was in that two-novel collection and the four-novel L of A edition I bought maybe twenty years ago. Looks like there's a paperback reissue from New Directions, though. Maybe it's having a moment.

It's absolutely criminal how totally he's been left out of the canon, his work is way funnier and lighter to read than the ballistic blurb makes it sound. Lonelyhearts is bleak as hell but never leaden and more importantly never in a way that sucks to read