Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I ran a residential tree service, specializing in large, urban, and often crane-assisted tree removals. I got this question sometimes, saw where it was going, and steered people away from it. There were a few occasions where we slightly underbid a job so we could have some black walnut, but underbid sure as gently caress wasn't doing free tree work, and the wood was ultimately for the owner's personal use. The economics of it all don't really benefit you the homeowner.

Have you contracted with a tree service to do the removal yet? Making sure you have a certified and insured company is paramount here, and you will likely find that paying them eats up any profit from the prospective value of the wood, and then some. You could pay a little less to have the tree service leave all the wood on your property, but then you'll have to find another guy to come in and mill it. Then you'll have to find a woodworker to buy it all. At this point you're hustling to make back tens of dollars on your tree removal project, probably nothing on sycamore wood. Also I noticed rustic men with sawmills and eccentric woodworker types suck at answering their phones, so an overwhelming amount of wood will be sitting your yard forever if there are any hiccups in this process.

Basically I would recommend just signing a contract to have it removed and all debris hauled away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

Thank you! sorry, didn't see this reply. This was very informative and kinda what I figured since a tree is a hell of an undertaking to deal with so it'd have to be exceptional to be worth more than just being disposed of. I'll try calling some local lumberyards and see if they would just take the chopped down tree if a removal service left it, or at least shop around for a cheap removal price. We had one group stop by to give a quote and it'd be around 3.5 grand to get rid of 4 trees, so getting that number lowered is something I'd obviously prefer if possible.

Thanks!

That's a pretty drat good price here in the upper Midwest. If all 4 are as big as the sycamore that's drat good.