Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Kenji's pickled mustard seeds seems like a cool topping idea although I haven't tried it.

https://www.seriouseats.com/pickled-mustard-seeds

Instead of vinegar the most recipes call for I like to use the brine from a jar of pickled peppers. A sliver of smoked fish on top is nice too, or maybe some chili oil or a tiny puddle of chili crisp. Kind of boring suggestions I guess but IMO an expertly made deviled egg doesn't need a whole lot of enhancement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Feral Integral posted:

Making some deviled eggs for a party. Anyone got some interesting ideas or flourishes for some party eggs?

I like to do a "French" deviled egg with sauteed shallots, herbes de Provence and dijon mustard. Garnish with a couple of capers.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I want to make BACHELOR CHOW! (Now with flavor)

Ok, not exactly, but I just started a new job that has me eating whatever I can stuff into my mouth at 6:30 am (usually a poached egg and a very simple smoothie) and going until around 3-4 pm. Since I'm constantly in meetings it's hard to get in a proper meal, but I want to be healthy and eat something (quick and easy) before going home to make a proper lunch. Also, I'd like to use the amazing gym on-site, which I could use from 4-5 pm so I'd need some proper nutrition before getting swole. I'm thinking some sort of fish/vegetable/lentil slurry in my slow cooker, but before I give myself botulism I thought I'd check if any goons have come up with a palatable recipe I could adapt. I can't possibly be the only person who wants make-ahead, no thought, easy nutrition like this, can I?

Edit- Fixing image. Also please nobody suggest Soylent, it makes me think of people just giving up on life.

burnsep fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 28, 2022

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Your description sounds like you have slow cooker at the office? I assume I am I misunderstanding.

Anyways, you can live of thick pulse stew somewhere on the peas-wet to hummus spectrum.

Make a thick, spicy veggie and pea/lentil/chickpea/bean stew and blend it , I use my pressure cooker for that. It should be reach the consistency of Tofu when it cools to fridge temperature.
You can spread it on bread like hummus if you want to. Or eat it like a pudding.
Or you can cut off a slice, add water and microwave it for a minute. Possibly adding a few sausage slices, while reheating. Or if you are in the mood for more effort use it as a pasta sauce.

If you want more energy, start with a bacon/fatback base when cooking. Anchovies are also nice, especially with lentils and mediterranean seasoning, that is one of my default pasta sauces. The other possible secret ingredient is butter or ghee.

If you make it without meat, it lasts a week in the fridge, like hummus. Otherwise, not as long.
My father was eating a lot of that recently. He couldn't eat solid food, and was to weak to cook more then rewarm that. So I made him that stuff for his fridge for whenever he got bored with the professional food substitute he was buying.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 28, 2022

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

Your description sounds like you have slow cooker at the office? I assume I am I misunderstanding.

Anyways, you can live of thick pulse stew somewhere on the peas-wet to hummus spectrum.

Make a thick, spicy veggie and pea/lentil/chickpea/bean stew and blend it , I use my pressure cooker for that. It should be reach the consistency of Tofu when it cools to fridge temperature.
You can spread it on bread like hummus if you want to. Or eat it like a pudding.
Or you can cut off a slice, add water and microwave it for a minute. Possibly adding a few sausage slices, while reheating. Or if you are in the mood for more effort use it as a pasta sauce.

If you want more energy, start with a bacon/fatback base when cooking. Anchovies are also nice, especially with lentils and mediterranean seasoning, that is one of my default pasta sauces. The other possible secret ingredient is butter or ghee.

If you make it without meat, it lasts a week in the fridge, like hummus. Otherwise, not as long.
My father was eating a lot of that recently. He couldn't eat solid food, and was to weak to cook more then rewarm that. So I made him that stuff for his fridge for whenever he got bored with the professional food substitute he was buying.

Yeah, that sounds both more appetizing and a lot more versatile than what I had in mind, thank you. Do you have a recipe I could work from?

And yes, my slow cooker is at home, although the image of me preparing food at my desk with an apron on while people show me presentations is delicious :D

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

burnsep posted:

Yeah, that sounds both more appetizing and a lot more versatile than what I had in mind, thank you. Do you have a recipe I could work from?

And yes, my slow cooker is at home, although the image of me preparing food at my desk with an apron on while people show me presentations is delicious :D

No sorry. I started with a recipe for very traditional German split pea soup I got from my grandma in German, and randomly modified it from there to get more versatility and variance.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Actually, I just remembered a well documented useful starting recipe: Andong's turkish lentil soup
It should work as a starting point for all the tricks, you might want to start by making it a bit thicker then directed.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

VictualSquid posted:

Actually, I just remembered a well documented useful starting recipe: Andong's turkish lentil soup
It should work as a starting point for all the tricks, you might want to start by making it a bit thicker then directed.

Excellent pointer! Does this look like the recipe?

► Turkish Lentil Soup Recipe
2 Tbsp olive oil
1-2 Tbsp butter, up to you
1 onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 potato, peeled and diced
200g of any lentils you like, red or yellow lentils are traditional
1l water or stock
salt & pepper to taste
1 tsp dried mint
sprinkle of msg ✨ (optional)
LEMON SLICE!
paprika oil
parsley for garnish
dollop of yoghurt (optional)

If so, it looks like a great base! What animal protein would you add in? And if you use a slow cooker, about how long do you leave it in?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I don't own a slow cooker. I give it 20 minutes in a pressure cooker.
If you want it to be storable you should stay vegetarian. And this specific variant is best if you stay low meat.
I like adding fatback and use the rendered fat instead of the oil. Or sub the water with chicken stock.

I don't add chunks of meat to this specific variant, If I wanted to add meat I would make a different spice profile to fit the meat.
With this soup I would consider pulled chicken or grilled sucuk or meatballs.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 28, 2022

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I kind of winged it last night and just dumped a kilo of diced chicken breasts, half a kilo of lentils, half a kilo of spinach, half an onion, vegetable stock, tomato paste, various spices (garlic powder, smoked paprika, curry etc) into the rice cooker set to slow cook and came back 6 hours later. I may have to tweak the seasoning but I'm pretty certain this is the nutrition brick I'm looking for. Will report on taste, refrigeration viability and flatulence correlation later.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can include all those ingredients but don't dump them in at the same time if you want less miserable human chow.

I sautée a diced onion and a clove of garlic, toast brown rice, cook rice/lentils/quinoa. Add chicken cooked separately. For me this is often the breasts left over from a chicken I roasted, but you could do rotisserie chicken scraps or SVed breasts or roasted quarters. I season each day's worth of chicken differently (lemon-pepper, Old Bay, Cajun, berbere, barbecue, etc.) so it doesn't feel like I'm eating the same thing all week. Before reheating, add peas, green beans, etc., or after reheating add fresh spinach.

In terms of nutrition it's pretty optimized, and it doesn't require much effort on a Sunday evening, but it's also enjoyable to eat.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 16, 2022

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005
I definitely have to improve the seasoning and add quite a bit of salt because, while palatable, my man-portable, fridge-stable, no-thought nutrition units (tm) are pretty bland. However, they are thankfully light on the flatulence and definitely fill me up without making me feel heavy or unhealthy. Worth tweaking.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
poastin my current go-to salad dressing in here because i just ate the best salad of my life

one teaspoon lemon pepper, one pinch salt, one HEAPED teaspoon english mustard, a quick glug of olive oil, and four teaspoons of a vinegar of your choice (i used the brine from a jar of homemade pickled onions). whisk together

i served this tossed into julienned carrots, shredded lettuce, shredded savoy cabbage, slivered almonds, and a handful of raisins and craisins, alongside some home fries and crispy tofu sauteed w garlic and mushrooms

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

burnsep posted:

please nobody suggest Soylent, it makes me think of people just giving up on life.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Soylent is baby formula for grown rear end adults. smdh

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

As opposed to the lentil brick, which is more like rusk for grown rear end adults

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

burnsep posted:

I want to make BACHELOR CHOW! (Now with flavor)

Ok, not exactly, but I just started a new job that has me eating whatever I can stuff into my mouth at 6:30 am (usually a poached egg and a very simple smoothie) and going until around 3-4 pm. Since I'm constantly in meetings it's hard to get in a proper meal, but I want to be healthy and eat something (quick and easy) before going home to make a proper lunch. Also, I'd like to use the amazing gym on-site, which I could use from 4-5 pm so I'd need some proper nutrition before getting swole. I'm thinking some sort of fish/vegetable/lentil slurry in my slow cooker, but before I give myself botulism I thought I'd check if any goons have come up with a palatable recipe I could adapt. I can't possibly be the only person who wants make-ahead, no thought, easy nutrition like this, can I?

Edit- Fixing image. Also please nobody suggest Soylent, it makes me think of people just giving up on life.

not to self-promo here but in the goons without spoons thread there's a compiled list of not-sad meal replacements, many of which could be recreated with some accuracy

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It's a stormy, rainy day here, so I had an urge to cook something cosy and soothing.
I have a recipe for a coconut and dried apricot daal that is extremely nice, but the actual recipe is fecking broken. From memory, the recipe is

2 onions, diced 2 cloves garlic, minced, 2 carrots, diced, plus a little salt- sauted together til soft.
Add 2/3 tsp medium curry powder, 1tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp smoked paprika - fry for 5 mins.
Add 200g rinsed red lentils, 6 dried apricots (chopped small) stir together.
Add 1 can coconut milk.
Cook til lentils are soft - 35 minutes.

My problem with this is that 1 can of coconut milk is nowhere near enough liquid to cook 200g of red lentils. I've made this recipe several times, and you need at least 500ml of extra liquid to make it work. I checked back with the source, and it's still the same after several years and a lucrative business still in operation.
It's so weird.

To keep it vegan, I top up the missing liquid with soy milk plus a bit of water.
Despite the problems, it's a really really nice, comfy easy recipe for a cold winter night. I just made a batch and added a couple of cloves and some whole cardamoms and a bit of garam masala because it felt like it needed a little extra. (My curry powder is oold)

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

w4ddl3d33 posted:

not to self-promo here but in the goons without spoons thread there's a compiled list of not-sad meal replacements, many of which could be recreated with some accuracy

Link?

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4015650 enjoy!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Chicken thighs cost more every week and I try to eat ~175 grams of protein a day, can anyone please recommend some simple bean based digital pressure cooker recipes? I wouldn't mind getting some that use a bit of meat and others that are entirety vegetarian; it'd be nice to have options.

Needs to be fast and simple because I do these on weeknights when I get home from the gym and I'm mentally and physically done. For reference, currently I put chicken thighs, rice, and vegetables into the pot and call it good. One pot to clean, basically cooks itself, etc. That's the level of involvement I need.

Also/more generally, any recipes that are cheap and tend to 50g of protein per serving. These can be longer/more involved, I could cook them on the weekend.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Chicken thighs cost more every week and I try to eat ~175 grams of protein a day, can anyone please recommend some simple bean based digital pressure cooker recipes? I wouldn't mind getting some that use a bit of meat and others that are entirety vegetarian; it'd be nice to have options.

Needs to be fast and simple because I do these on weeknights when I get home from the gym and I'm mentally and physically done. For reference, currently I put chicken thighs, rice, and vegetables into the pot and call it good. One pot to clean, basically cooks itself, etc. That's the level of involvement I need.

Also/more generally, any recipes that are cheap and tend to 50g of protein per serving. These can be longer/more involved, I could cook them on the weekend.

I have several default recipes where I just took a similar one pot chicken(or other meat) rice recipe and subbed out 50-100% of the chicken for an equivalent amount of chickpeas, due to my favourite butcher closing. If you use canned you can just dump them in. Presoaked, uncooked works in some but not all recipes. Or I pressure soak them, 1 hour in the pressure cooker. Choosing depending on what effort I want to put in that day.

Chickpeas work in almost any chicken recipe. Red or white beans work in some.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Basically any bean recipe works in a pressure cooker. Just replace the boiling step with pressure cooking and adjust the time by Googling how long those kinds of beans take to pressure cook.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

I regularly meal prep batches of this and my family loves it when I make it for them. Toss in some frozen spinach near the end of cooking.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll try it this weekend, thanks!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Does anyone have a potato salad recipe they swear by?

I usually just end up kind of winging it, throwing together boiled potatoes, boiled egg bits, celery, red and/or green onion, random fresh herbs I have around, and make some kind of mayo / mustard sauce maybe with a bit of apple cider or wine vinegar if I'm feeling fancy.

What do you do to elevate a potato salad to the next level?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Entropic posted:

Add crispy lardons

Carillon
May 9, 2014

You probably already know this, but I toss my potato salad with the dressing while the potatoes are warm, I find they absorb the sauce better that way!

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Entropic posted:

Cook the potatoes in larger chunks with a little vinegar and lots of salt.

Use more acid overall.

Cornichons is a great addition, or dill relish.

Fresh dill is one of the best things you can put in a potato salad.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Add green peppers, fresh dill pickles, some Worcestershire sauce for umami and use Dijon mustard.

I make huge batches for family holidays so I’m lazy and use a food processor, but I could do it properly if I wanted…

E: also, boil your own eggs, don’t use the precooked ones you get at the store. The difference is remarkable. And make it the night before so everything can get to know each other in the fridge overnight.

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jan 28, 2023

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Coasterphreak posted:

E: also, boil your own eggs, don’t use the precooked ones you get at the store.

No, you’re making this up, precooked boiled eggs aren’t a thing, I don’t believe you

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Scientastic posted:

No, you’re making this up, precooked boiled eggs aren’t a thing, I don’t believe you

Not only are they real, they're sold commercially. A bakery i used to work at went through bags of them everyday for catering and deli sandwiches.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jan 28, 2023

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Scientastic posted:

Sure am not, you can buy the loving things in the egg section of basically every supermarket for a ridiculous amount of money.

I will say, they’re really nice to have on hand for two minute egg salad or a quick snack. Just… lower your expectations and don’t use them for anything that takes actual effort like a Cobb or deviled eggs or proper potato salad.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Scientastic posted:

I've seen them. next to the pre-mashed potatoes. :gonk:

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Coasterphreak posted:

a quick snack

A quicker snack than boiling an egg?

I am very used to feeling like I am an out of touch curmudgeon, but I am genuinely confused by the existence of retail preboiled eggs

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Scientastic posted:

I am very used to feeling like I am an out of touch curmudgeon, but I am genuinely confused by the existence of retail preboiled eggs

Well, you can always eat it raw.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Few weeks back I went to make breakfast, only to realize my wife had accidentally bought a half dozen pre boiled eggs. In the normal carton and everything. They had been on the counter for over a week at that point. I did not eat the eggs.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Scientastic posted:

A shocking number of Americans don't know how to boil water, let alone cook something in it.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
i made this loving phenomenal chocolate mousse/dip today and i've got to document it somewhere

1 cup sweet potato, peeled and steamed
5 dates, soaked in hot water for a three to five minutes (i used deglet noor cuz they're the best but medjool would be sexy too)
1/3 cup silken tofu
about 2/3 cup cocoa powder (i would go just a little under, take out maybe a generous teaspoon from the second third of a cup)

blend everything until smooth, pour into a parchment lined baking dish, bake at gas mark 4/350f for 15 to 20 minutes or until the edges start to brown, take out and eat with a spoon immediately

Scientastic posted:

in my neck of the woods you can get little tubs of boiled eggs with raw spinach as part of a meal deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Here's a dish I usually bring out when I don't have the energy for anything that requires complex things like "shopping" or "paying attention."

Nameless Chicken Dish

One whole chicken breast
Three large tomatoes(I generally find that less firm cultivars work better with the dish)
Butter
Oregano
Salt
Chicken stock, 10cl
White wine, 10cl
Rice, 10cl

Start by slicing the chicken breast lengthwise so it'll cook slightly faster, then roll it in oregano and salt.

Chop up the tomatoes as finely as you can and put them aside in a small bowl, add a small amount of salt to them.

Get up the pan to high heat, melt the butter and then give the chicken breast a 1-minute sear on either side before taking it off the pan and keeping it ready.

Add white wine, chicken stock and tomatoes to the pan, lower to medium heat.

Once tomatoes start softening up and becoming mushy(ideally they should lose all shape when given a gentle press with a spatula), re-add the chicken to the pan until cooked through.

At this point, serve with rice, using the tomato-stock-wine mixture as a viscous sauce.