Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guthix Curnir
Mar 21, 2011
Problem description: Computer is randomly half freezing. Parts of the computer's UI will stop updating while others continue with no problem. This is an issue across all programs and the OS itself. For example: some menus in Final Fantasy 14 will stop opening while others can be still opened and closed; at the same time I can open the Windows Start Menu and the Shutdown Menu but clicking Shutdown or Restart does nothing. Cursor and Keyboard still work. This has happened across various games and programs, including just having a browser open and nothing particularly system intensive running. It only happens to UI elements, never anything 3d rendered. i usually have to forcefully shut the computer off (I've gotten a shutdown shortcut I've made to work once). All system temperatures seem to be operating within expected ranges. This originally happened once about two weeks ago, but has started occurring again, in increasing frequency. (Originally from a week of uptime, now getting closer to two hours)

Attempted fixes:
    Updated windows
    Removed the latest big windows feature update (20H2)
    Scanned for viruses via Windows Defender & MalwareBytes
    Reinstalled video drivers
    Ran sfc /scannow
    Put a better heat sink on the ssd that the os is running on (was using one provided from Motherboard)

Recent changes: Machine is a 1 month old custom build. All new parts except a 2 year old video card, fresh installation of windows 10

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro

System specs:
ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WI-FI) Motherboard
Sabrent 2TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD
G.SKILL F4-3600C16Q-64GTZNC 64GB 4x16GB DDR4 3600MHz Memory
Seasonic FOCUS PX-750, 750W 80+ Platinum Power Supply
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X Processor
EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC Gaming
Various Cooler Master Fans, including liquid cooling

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS. If that doesn't help then try running http://memtest.org/ overnight at some point.

After that another thing would be to try using onboard video temporarily and seeing if anything improves.

Guthix Curnir
Mar 21, 2011
Memtest86 and Windows Memtest had been run, and returned with no issues.

The Ryzen 5900x doesn't allow for onboard video.

We'll check for any bios updates, but we had flashed the latest version when we built the computer a month ago.

Edit: Updated bios, we'll see if that helps the stability any.

Edit 2: Everything is behaving since the bios update, Think this issue is resolved. Thanks!

Guthix Curnir fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 14, 2021