Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vxWMoAgPfg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Jetto Jagga posted:

There's also a series of SNAKE QUEEN films from the same era starring Indonesian superstar actress SUZZANNA which are fuckin aces.

Youtube has a decent looking copy of The Snake Queen from 1982 in Tamil, unfortunately no subs. There's also a dubbed copy that doesn't look nearly as nice, with burnt in Greek subs. Also stars Barry Prima!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I need to know more about this one :stwoon:

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

This looks like a 90's romcom. Just getting into wacky situations with my organs hanging out!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Tamil version of Twilight looks way better on poster

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

JonathonSpectre posted:

It's one of those things that many people's first encounter with was in the 1st edition Monster Manual.

"Orc, okay. Goblin, dragon, lizard man... flying vampiric woman's severed head with organ bag hanging off of it. :black101: I love this game!"

Then they made an entire book of poo poo like that called the Fiend Folio. If you saw your DM pull that poo poo out you knew things were about to get weird and deadly.

I only had the Dieties of Demigods that got TSR sued because they used Cthulhu stuff with Chaosum has exclusive license for RPG books, and I think Moorecock didn't like they used his stuff without permission?

All I remember about the Fiend Folio was the Gith on the cover. Digging it up online, up there it is.

Jetto Jagga posted:

There's also a series of SNAKE QUEEN films from the same era starring Indonesian superstar actress SUZZANNA which are fuckin aces.

Cool. I've only seen Mystics in Bali because it was on one of those 100 horror movie box sets they used to have cheap at HMV when i worked there. I bought it was litearlly 10bux and if i didn't like the movies, it was cheap.

Captain Hygiene posted:

He was a man, and she was a floating head with her organs freely hanging below her and required human blood to live, but love will blossom in A Heart in the Sky, this summer.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

twistedmentat posted:

He was a man, and she was a floating head with her organs freely hanging below her and required human blood to live
Can I make it aaaany more obvious?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Some good Dragons

Also this cameo by Jordan Peterson

Taken from A Fantastic Bestiary: Beasts and Monsters in Myth and Folklore by Ernst og Johanna Lehner (1969)

On the more Cryptid side of things

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 04:12 on May 13, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

This one at least seems to be a fairly accurate depiction of an actual sea creature

A dried stingray:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A dried stingray:

Lmao that's rad as hell :five:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I love this guy's cute li'l ducky feet

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

FreudianSlippers posted:

Some good Dragons

You can buy a first edition of this book for £3000. :saddowns:

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Fallout 76 kind of ruined West Virginia cryptids for a bunch of people, but I grew up reading these books about WV ghosts and cryptids and always loved them.

Ruth Ann Musick is basically responsible for singlehandedly tracking down the history of and popularizing almost every West Virginia ghost story and cryptid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Ann_Musick

sad question
May 30, 2020

I've been reading Slavic Bestiary and it has some good stuff.

This is Cycocha, an old woman that would attack kids who stole fruits from their neighbor's gardens. She'd stun them with her metal tits or catch them with her metal hook like Scorpion if they managed to run away. She would then eat them.

Many entries repeat certain themes which gives an insight into neuroses plaguing our ancestors. They were quite scared of 1) the plague 2) children dying 3) old people 4) women who want to gently caress.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
If I was living in a cabin way out in the woods and I was a bit of an excitable idiot and I saw these things peering through my windows late at night I might just assume they were demonic goblins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ik29zMbHaY

Eurasian eagle-owl are pretty drat huge but the Great grey owl which ranges over parts of North America is slightly larger, although lighter. (It's an extremely fluffy owl.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrQmFx0XFpI

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, totally makes sense that Kelly-Hopkinsville could've been owls. They're creepy and disarming enough to look like goblins for sure.

Also, probably more folklore than cryptid but I saw these cuties today by a guy named Neil Parkinson:

feedmyleg has a new favorite as of 12:49 on May 13, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

This has just sparked a memory of something I think the Sunday Times did back in the early 90s, maybe called the Great British Ghost Hunt? There was a big gorgeously illustrated poster map of the UK with various hauntings all over it. Maybe I probably have it still somewhere...

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

And reminds me of the story about selkies I heard at Eilean Donan on the way to Skye a couple years back. Three brothers were out fishing and encountered three selkies, which are like seals who can take off their furs and become human women. The brothers snuck up on them to steal and hide their furs so they could make wives of the selkies, but one brother felt bad and returned his to the selkie, another took the selkie as his wife but she later found the stolen fur and left him, and the last brother burned the fur, burning and killing his selkie wife in the process.

My takeaway from this story was that once upon a time three men got drunk and tried to gently caress some seals.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fionn Mac Cumhaill (pronounced Finn McCool) being put in with a bunch of creatures and monsters is a bit off. He's basically just the Irish Hercules famous for various heroic deeds and often used to explain certain quirks of geography.

Now if his fellow Irish cultural hero Cúchulhainn was there it might make more sense because he had a war form where in battle he'd transform into a horrific monstrous beast:

Thomas Kinsella via Wikipedia posted:

The first warp-spasm seized Cúchulainn, and made him into a monstrous thing, hideous and shapeless, unheard of. His shanks and his joints, every knuckle and angle and organ from head to foot, shook like a tree in the flood or a reed in the stream. His body made a furious twist inside his skin, so that his feet and shins switched to the rear and his heels and calves switched to the front... On his head the temple-sinews stretched to the nape of his neck, each mighty, immense, measureless knob as big as the head of a month-old child... he sucked one eye so deep into his head that a wild crane couldn't probe it onto his cheek out of the depths of his skull; the other eye fell out along his cheek. His mouth weirdly distorted: his cheek peeled back from his jaws until the gullet appeared, his lungs and his liver flapped in his mouth and throat, his lower jaw struck the upper a lion-killing blow, and fiery flakes large as a ram's fleece reached his mouth from his throat... The hair of his head twisted like the tangle of a red thornbush stuck in a gap; if a royal apple tree with all its kingly fruit were shaken above him, scarce an apple would reach the ground but each would be spiked on a bristle of his hair as it stood up on his scalp with rage

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fionn Mac Cumhaill (pronounced Finn McCool) being put in with a bunch of creatures and monsters is a bit off. He's basically just the Irish Hercules famous for various heroic deeds and often used to explain certain quirks of geography.

Heroic deeds like that time he tried to weasel out of fighting a giant by disguising himself as a huge baby

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's just being resourceful.

Like the time Thor did drag and almost married a giant because that giant stole his hammer.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

ReidRansom posted:

My takeaway from this story was that once upon a time three men got drunk and tried to gently caress rape some seals.

FTFY. Seriously, that always strikes me as hosed up about the selkie myth, the immediate reaction of every guy in it is “magic chick, let’s force her to marry me!”. I seem to recall things like the kitsune myths at least had a consensual relationship before guy finds out he’s secretly a furry.

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's just being resourceful.

Like the time Thor did drag and almost married a giant because that giant stole his hammer.

Yeah, and then the story ends with him repeatedly slamming the giants with his hammer - ohhhh wait, when they said “hammer” they didn’t mean Mjolnir did they...

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

If we're posting folklore then it's pretty much obligatory to post pictures by Theodor Kittelsen:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

If I was living in a cabin way out in the woods and I was a bit of an excitable idiot and I saw these things peering through my windows late at night I might just assume they were demonic goblins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ik29zMbHaY

Eurasian eagle-owl are pretty drat huge but the Great grey owl which ranges over parts of North America is slightly larger, although lighter. (It's an extremely fluffy owl.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrQmFx0XFpI

The Fourth Kind was ultimately a bunch of fuss about not much, but the one really fun thing it did was make barn owls scary by giving them extra eyeshadow

FreudianSlippers posted:

Now if his fellow Irish cultural hero Cúchulhainn was there it might make more sense because he had a war form where in battle he'd transform into a horrific monstrous beast:

Goddamn that's awesome, Irish super saiyans don't gently caress around in the slightest

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fionn Mac Cumhaill (pronounced Finn McCool)

I'm legally changing my name to Finn McCool :c00lbert:

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

ReidRansom posted:

My takeaway from this story was that once upon a time three men got drunk and tried to gently caress some seals.

Try not to google human/dolphin sex.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Overly Sarcastic Productions has a good video on Finn McCool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVHyXcAJ-Ks

This reminds me, watching their Journey to the West videos, i get the sense that Chinese Demons are less creatures from hell but just monsters that inhabit certain locations?

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Overly Sarcastic Productions has a good video on Finn McCool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVHyXcAJ-Ks

This reminds me, watching their Journey to the West videos, i get the sense that Chinese Demons are less creatures from hell but just monsters that inhabit certain locations?

Yeah, one thing that struck me when I read Journey to the West is the relatively neutral tone it took when describing the demons. They didn't necessarily seem evil, just like, this kind of creature eats people. It might very well have a well established moral code and in some ways even be admirable, but it eats people and therefore it's a monster/demon, which, I mean, fair enough.

The other really striking thing about Journey to the West is how bureaucratic heaven and the underworld are. There are constant digressions in the first part of the book about how the various heavenly or diabolical figures officially registered their complaints with the heavenly minister of whatever because they had been unjustly treated by Sun Wukong and there's a whole subplot about Sun Wukong being unsatisfied with simply being known as the Monkey King and doing everything he can to get a better title, specifically the Great Sage Equaling Heaven. It's very clear how bureaucratic the society the author was parodying was.

On the subject of Chinese literature with a lot of influence from folklore and creepy ghost stories, everyone needs to read Strange Tales From a Chinese Studio by Pu Songling. The Penguin edition is an abridgement but from what I'm told by people who have actually read it in Chinese it gets a little samey in the unabridged version. Lots of ghosts and fox spirits. Going by this book you'd think that every man in China who ever had casual sex accidentally wound up loving a fox or a ghost.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

stereobreadsticks posted:

Yeah, one thing that struck me when I read Journey to the West is the relatively neutral tone it took when describing the demons. They didn't necessarily seem evil, just like, this kind of creature eats people. It might very well have a well established moral code and in some ways even be admirable, but it eats people and therefore it's a monster/demon, which, I mean, fair enough.

The other really striking thing about Journey to the West is how bureaucratic heaven and the underworld are. There are constant digressions in the first part of the book about how the various heavenly or diabolical figures officially registered their complaints with the heavenly minister of whatever because they had been unjustly treated by Sun Wukong and there's a whole subplot about Sun Wukong being unsatisfied with simply being known as the Monkey King and doing everything he can to get a better title, specifically the Great Sage Equaling Heaven. It's very clear how bureaucratic the society the author was parodying was.

On the subject of Chinese literature with a lot of influence from folklore and creepy ghost stories, everyone needs to read Strange Tales From a Chinese Studio by Pu Songling. The Penguin edition is an abridgement but from what I'm told by people who have actually read it in Chinese it gets a little samey in the unabridged version. Lots of ghosts and fox spirits. Going by this book you'd think that every man in China who ever had casual sex accidentally wound up loving a fox or a ghost.

I figured it was that when translating from Chinese demon just fit the best.

I haven't and probably won't ever read actual Journey To The West so the OSP videos are where I'll get my info, but yea they do a fantastic job at breaking down how mystical and esoteric china functions. Everything is organized and has rules, which is why Sun Wukong was such a problem, that he could just ignore everything. It really gives an insight on how Ancient China functioned and how they though a society should work. Like how Buddha is just there, the Jade Emperor is the boss, but Buddha is just there, chilling.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Follow up on the babi ngepet story I told on the last page:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1393171801610543105?s=19

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/BBCArchive/status/1394616253533274116?s=19

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The Yule Lads are cryptids

https://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/yule-lads-coming/1/

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Every video by this guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FC0hGIVkd4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXQfe0s25XQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GsyM6-5-QM&t=371s

Halloween Liker has a new favorite as of 15:15 on May 24, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Australian Loch Ness Monster declared COVID free in statement from local council
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-04/portland-loch-ness-mystery-sculpture-art/100190506

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Australian Loch Ness Monster declared COVID free in statement from local council
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-04/portland-loch-ness-mystery-sculpture-art/100190506

Reptiles can't get COVID so that checks out.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

They are creeptids.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

New Bioshock looks good.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Friendly reminder to not sign Death oaths when you get a job, it's never worth it

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

New Bioshock looks good.

I appreciate that it has the same "NURSE was a MAN with a HOOK" word emphases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Some classic Bigfoot history here with Roger Patterson's ABSM Club of America:

Reprinted with disclaimers in The Bigfoot Film Controversy by Christopher Murphy, which reprints the entirety of Patterson's Do Abominable Snowmen of America Really Exist? alongside some unconvincing apologia for the PGF by Murphy.