Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Charles Ford posted:

David Paulides was apparently once a cop in San Jose, you'd think he might at least have a passing idea of what actual crimes look like.

Paulides' police career seems to have consisted of entrapping gay men into solicitation in adult bookshops, committing brutality against black people, and getting fired for scamming celebrities out of autographs using official police stationary.

I guess committing crimes should help you recognise them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Upsidads posted:

All these people went missing ON EARTH

BUT WHAT ABOUT UNDER?

Whoa whoa whoa, now hold on there a sec. We talking about mole people here, or the giant underground network beneath the US that our secret extraterrestrial overlords use to hide technology and experiment on people?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

*Points at name*

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Rascar Capac posted:

Paulides' police career seems to have consisted of entrapping gay men into solicitation in adult bookshops, committing brutality against black people, and getting fired for scamming celebrities out of autographs using official police stationary.

I guess committing crimes should help you recognise them.

I was running here to say this, thank you. Paulides leans on his law enforcement background as why he's trustworthy and a hard nosed investigator when of course he's a lying scam artist who was so dirty as a cop he actually got fired, quite the accomplishment. His previous books were all about Bigfoot but now he plays coy with Missing 411 because he wants to cast as wide a net as he can for conspiracists.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, now hold on there a sec. We talking about mole people here, or the giant underground network beneath the US that our secret extraterrestrial overlords use to hide technology and experiment on people?

Detrimental Robots

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
There's a great old book called In Pursuit of Satan, written by a cop and about why cops are so bad at investigating satanic panic stuff, nice time capsule of the late 80s when scammer cops were making names for themselves on the conference circuit charging $$$ for classes on how to track cult killers and so on, all complete bullshit.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Of course since then they figured it all out and the images depicted are actually pretty standard Mayan iconography
are actually pretty standard Mayan iconography.... of ancient astronaut!!!!

THE ANCIENT MAYANS KNEW THEN COVERED IT UP BY DRAWING ABOUT IT ALL THE TIME!!!!!

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
It does look like it could be an ancient spacecraft with a pilot, if it were designed by Mr. Garrison.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Upsidads posted:

All these people went missing ON EARTH

BUT WHAT ABOUT UNDER?

QAnoners love making up conspiracies about hidden underground paedo dungeons and even giant underground systems of tunnels so paedos can move children around the country undetected

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Someone put together a video compilation of crazy-rear end moments from Mountain Monsters if anyone is curious and wants a taste

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzxPKWkTC6I

Trapper sure wasn't lying when he said they weren't actors. :v:

So like, Bigfoot can apparently teleport, probably also astral travel, I'd be surprised if he didn't also have Gate 1/day and grants you a Limited Wish if you catch him, but when did Bigfoot turn from "big ape man, he spooky but maybe also good?" into a wizard and occasional sex partner in cryptid lore? Like is there a starting point, a patient zero that popularized that stuff? Or did it just occur organically in a lot of places when the ol' Bigfoot mythos needed a spitshine to compete with UFO's?

PurpleXVI has a new favorite as of 10:37 on Jan 23, 2023

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Is it true, thatif you find Bigfoots pot of gold at the end of the rainbow that it'll take your children to the seeley council in exchange for a singular twisted wish?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

There's always been an element of pseudoscience and bigfoots, but I think in the past they used to be way outnumbered and suppressed by the "legitimate" bigfoot researchers. Like you'd be blacklisted from bigfoot conferences if you said they were spirit beings or whatever. I remember reading accounts of bigfoots disappearing into UFOs or the mist, or forcing themselves on hunters, back in the 90's books. I think the pseudoscience reports are coming more to prominence now as it becomes harder and harder to explain how a physical being would keep avoiding camera traps, DNA surveys, and all the other things that should have found any by now. Even the top bigfoot researchers are starting to say things like they can see infrared to avoid camera trigger beams and use infrasound to subconsciously drive people away, because they need to find some way to account for them still hiding.

The sex stuff is pretty much just because there's always been perverts, trolls, or pervert trolls though.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Knormal posted:

There's always been an element of pseudoscience and bigfoots, but I think in the past they used to be way outnumbered and suppressed by the "legitimate" bigfoot researchers. Like you'd be blacklisted from bigfoot conferences if you said they were spirit beings or whatever. I remember reading accounts of bigfoots disappearing into UFOs or the mist, or forcing themselves on hunters, back in the 90's books. I think the pseudoscience reports are coming more to prominence now as it becomes harder and harder to explain how a physical being would keep avoiding camera traps, DNA surveys, and all the other things that should have found any by now. Even the top bigfoot researchers are starting to say things like they can see infrared to avoid camera trigger beams and use infrasound to subconsciously drive people away, because they need to find some way to account for them still hiding.

The sex stuff is pretty much just because there's always been perverts, trolls, or pervert trolls though.

Yeah I recall the Midwestern "hairy biped" sightings of the 70s which had high strangeness attributes like invisibility, invincibility, levitation, UFO proximity, and weird footprints (four/three/two toed prints). Loren Coleman wrote about them back in the day but has since renounced them as not being "real" bigfoot, that is to say, the "scientific" Giganto idea.

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

Knormal posted:

Even the top bigfoot researchers are starting to say things like they can see infrared to avoid camera trigger beams

I've seen this one a few times, and it makes me laugh since the P in "PIR motion sensor" like on a trail camera is "passive", e.g. it merely watches (and thus is much lower power than something actively scanning). Combined with CPU sleep states and metal cases, there will be very little emissions from a completely normal trail camera.

I mention the CPU states as I have heard people also suggest bigfoot can "sense" the electronics running, I guess as well as infrared vision he also has a built-in ghost detector.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bigfoot's just an omnipresent transdimensional being at this point, it was there when you placed the camera and it knows to avoid being in frame.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PurpleXVI posted:

when did Bigfoot turn from "big ape man, he spooky but maybe also good?" into a wizard and occasional sex partner in cryptid lore?

The whole "sasquatch stole our women!" thing has been around for almost a century (at the least) but if you count old legends such as European woodwoses and wild men it goes back thousands of years. Bigfoots love abducting people.

I posted earlier about the whole yeti deal becoming a media phenomena int he early 1920s:

If anyone was wondering how the abominable snowman craze came about in the 1920s and 30s this page has a good collection of the original newspaper reports that kicked it all off: https://hatch.kookscience.com/wiki/Yeti

Here's a really early one:

The Bennington evening banner. (Bennington, Vt.), 28 Dec. 1921

The name "Abominable Snowman" came about from a mistranslation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yeti

..... and in the late 1920s some school teacher named J. W. Burns up in Canada just so happened upon a whole lot of stories from local First Nations people about run ins with giant hairy forest people called sasquatches. In the early stories they were pretty much somewhat taller than average humans with very dark skin and either very long hair or a covering of hair and sometimes they were silent or made screeching noises but they also spoke occasionally. Here's his first article from the April 1 1929 edition of Maclean's Magazine where he infodumps a whole lot of unlikely stories: https://archive.org/details/Macleans-Magazine-1929-04-01/page/n5/mode/2up

April 1, huh?
:thunk:

Apparently sometime that year he also published a story about a First Nations woman called Seraphine Long who was abducted by a sasquatch and kept captive for a year and eventually bore it a child, although it died soon after birth. The story has been reposted all over the internet but I haven't been able to lock down the original source. In Burns' story it sealed her eyes shut with tree sap before it carried it away and there's been at least one other story which used that same detail

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

The whole "sasquatch stole our women!" thing has been around for almost a century (at the least) but if you count old legends such as European woodwoses and wild men it goes back thousands of years. Bigfoots love abducting people.

I posted earlier about the whole yeti deal becoming a media phenomena int he early 1920s:

..... and in the late 1920s some school teacher named J. W. Burns up in Canada just so happened upon a whole lot of stories from local First Nations people about run ins with giant hairy forest people called sasquatches. In the early stories they were pretty much somewhat taller than average humans with very dark skin and either very long hair or a covering of hair and sometimes they were silent or made screeching noises but they also spoke occasionally. Here's his first article from the April 1 1929 edition of Maclean's Magazine where he infodumps a whole lot of unlikely stories: https://archive.org/details/Macleans-Magazine-1929-04-01/page/n5/mode/2up

April 1, huh?
:thunk:

Apparently sometime that year he also published a story about a First Nations woman called Seraphine Long who was abducted by a sasquatch and kept captive for a year and eventually bore it a child, although it died soon after birth. The story has been reposted all over the internet but I haven't been able to lock down the original source. In Burns' story it sealed her eyes shut with tree sap before it carried it away and there's been at least one other story which used that same detail

Nice post! There's a bunch of midcentury tall tales by guys like Ivan T. Sanderson and Frank Edwards which were then recycled by Brad Steiger and Warren Smith into the 70s, about Red Army/PLA troops killing or capturing yeti/almasti. There's a story of a "Mouth Man" (jungle bigfoot/rockape) in SE Asia that scares a sentry on night watch - Steiger wrote it up in 1969's The Abominable Snowmen, Smith borrowed it for his own Strange Abominable Snowmen in 1970 and changed the ending to the poor sentry getting killed by the monster, but then recycled it for a second time in its original form in his 1977 volume The Secret Origins of Bigfoot.

Capsule reviews of those 3 books at my blog:
https://paperbackgods.blogspot.com/2020/02/the-abominable-snowmen-by-eric-norman.html
https://paperbackgods.blogspot.com/2020/08/strange-abominable-snowmen-by-warren.html
https://paperbackgods.blogspot.com/2020/08/the-secret-origins-of-bigfoot-by-warren.html

Names and dates are included but of course lead nowhere.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

My friends and I have been very slowly making our way through Mountain Monsters because of this thread. We just started Season 4. Season 3 was batshit insane. If it ramps up from here until the end, I am ecstatic.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Aardvark Barber posted:

My friends and I have been very slowly making our way through Mountain Monsters because of this thread. We just started Season 4. Season 3 was batshit insane. If it ramps up from here until the end, I am ecstatic.

It ramps up soooo much you won't be able to tell reality from fiction anymore. You'll be so engrossed by the 100 story lines and events that the place that You'll walk away a changed person

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A GBS poster posted a new globster:

Polish posted:

Friend found this on a beach in California. Anyone know what it is?

https://imgur.com/3XhkDPG

It's a dead stingray

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

New Face on Mars just dropped.

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/29/1152350488/nasa-mars-bear-crater

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Get Your Ursus To Mars!

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
love reading old bigfoot scuttlebutt

from a 1994 edition of the skeptical inquirer: https://skepticalinquirer.org/wp-content/uploads/sites/29/2019/03/Issue-05.pdf

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah it's a really common occurrence that bigfoot researchers will scour the 'evidence' for indications that it might be genuine and quietly overlook indications that it might be fake. I did a post earlier in the thread about recent examples:

Here's another example from the famed BFRO website (run by Matt Moneymaker, the lead guy from Finding Bigfoot) which allegedly show a set of massive "bipedal tracks" which were found not far from a spot where there'd earlier been a reported bigfoot sighting. There's a set of human footprints besides them for comparison:

This set off a huge discussion on the BFRO discussion forums, which can still be viewed via the internet wayback machine if anyone is curious: https://web.archive.org/web/20130609051525/http://s2.excoboard.com/BFRO/163242/2026290/1

Of course the simplest answer is that the tracks were just made by a moose, when they're walking through snow they often step into the same footprint with their front and back feet which makes them look like bigfoot prints. Here's some verified moose prints:

If you go back and look at the BFRO photos you can see that the moose actually stumbled on the second 'footprint' after it hopped over the fence and didn't quite step cleanly onto the same place so it made two separate rounded hoofprints in the snow instead of one big elongated print:

That getty photo of moose prints has a similar misstep, for comparison.
(Unless maybe the bigfoot was wearing high heels?????!???)

The infamous 1951 Shipton yeti footprint photo which turbocharged the whole yeti/bigfoot craze is another obvious example of this. Here's the iconic image which got reprinted thousands and thousands of times in books and articles and TV shows which we're all super familiar with:

It's gigantic!! It's as big as the head of a pickaxe!!

Here's the uncropped photo, plus a second photo with a hiking boot for comparison:

...... okay, it's quite a bit smaller than I always assumed. Obviously that pickaxe was just a mountaineer's ice axe which has a much smaller head.

Here's the rest of the photos which shows the tracks receding off into the distance:

...... okay, obviously they look a LOT different from the famous photo and most of them seem to be in the shape of a cloven hoof rather than a footprint with toes, it's obvious that they selected the one which looked the most like a hominid footprint and didn't bother taking closeup photos of any that didn't. Also the footprints aren't regular and some of them are wider than others, a lot like a 4 legged animal mostly stepping in its own footprints but occasionally stepping slightly outside them. Also if you look at the rocks right next to the trackway you'll see that they have a clear ring of icemelt around them which just happens to be pretty much the exact depth of the footprints, so the footprints almost certainly grew wider as they melted under the sun and they were originally a fair bit smaller and no doubt a different shape.

Of course that never stopped people taking the photo as the gospel truth of an accurate cast of a yeti's foot and creating lots and lots and LOTS of "reconstructions" of the 'foot' that the think made it:

There's also been recent examples of people being caught faking evidence but then given a second chance. Back in 2008 there was the notorious "bigfoot in a freezer' hoax by a guy called Rick Dyer which a lot of people bought into at the time and then ended up with egg on their faces when it turned out to just be a halloween costume stuffed with road kill. Dyer pulled pretty much the same hoax in 2012 and even ended up touring the country with the hilariously fake 'corpse' displayed in a perspex coffin and charging people $10 to view it and I remember when that story was just breaking there was a whole bunch of people going "Well let's hear him out, maybe he DID shoot and kill a real bigfoot this time, we have to give him the benefit of the doubt!"
Those fukkin idiots :doh:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Get Your Ursus To Mars!

...you've been waiting years to make that pun, haven't you

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
been reading Inhumanoids and stumbled across this goofy looking Kentucky gravedigger thing

Ambitious Spider has a new favorite as of 13:36 on Jan 30, 2023

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

been reading Inhumanoids and stumbled across this goofy looking Kentucky gravedigger thing

This is just the abominable snowman from SkiFree.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ambitious Spider posted:

By the expression It seems to be of the opinion that humans are jerks, therefore definitely making it one of the smartest cryptids .

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
This month’s Fortean Times goes to the Windy City!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Man a forensic anth being a nighttime magician makes sense for how hosed that field is job wise.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

This month’s Fortean Times goes to the Windy City!

Wait, there's a Chicago Mothman too? How did I never hear about it, growing up in Illinois?

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Wait, there's a Chicago Mothman too? How did I never hear about it, growing up in Illinois?

It's only from the last 5 years, if that

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

It's only from the last 5 years, if that

Ah, that makes sense. Nice to have something new in the urban cryptid market, then.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Another awesome post. In that article I screen capped someone points out a major flaw in Krantz' work: he claims to be able to reconstruct unknown skeletal structures from footprint casts all the way up to the ankle, which is how he knows that the "cripple foot" from hoaxer Ivan Marx is actually legit, because no one could have as much knowledge as himself about anatomy to make such an "accurate" print of what a bigfoot with an injured foot would look like - later he says the same thing about the PGF because Patterson got bored listening to him yammer on about feet and Krantz concluded that Patterson was a rock stupid cowboy moron who couldn't possibly have made a bigfoot good enough to fool him. Amazing confirmation bias and arrogance.

I wish there was a one stop shop for reading about all the classic bigfooters and their infighting, Dahinden especially had a reputation as biting.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

Amazing confirmation bias and arrogance.

Dr Jeff Meldrum is another guy who dismisses "evidence" because it doesn't fit his pre-conceived notions of what bigfoot is supposed to look like, based on eyewitness reports and sketches

Here's a 2022 interview where he critiques the lovely fake bigfoot corpse from Rick Dyer's 2012 hoax for getting the facial anatomy all wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiuFly2oKss&t=255s

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
a Mothman for every major metropolis. this is my campaign promise to you.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's one Mothman and peeps gotta stop trying to take him

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

I wish there was a mothman of San Jose, California, there's very little good folklore out here

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

uber_stoat posted:

a Mothman for every major metropolis. this is my campaign promise to you.

A Mothman in every pot and a car (that runs on water instead of gasoline, the technology for which is suppressed by the oil companies) in every garage!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
But how will there be enough Mothmen for ever city where there is apparently only Mothman and no mothwoman!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

dr_rat posted:

But how will there be enough Mothmen for ever city where there is apparently only Mothman and no mothwoman!!!

It works a bit like Santa Claus