Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

When i was a kid i didn't quite believe in UFOs and other assorted weirdness, but i didn't quite not believe either. I'd happily read any "mysteries of the unknown" type book i could get my hands on, but there was one thing i could not deal with at all and it was the Flatwoods Monster, specifically the picture in one of those books. I even paperclipped the pages it was on together so i wouldn't accidentally see it if i was flipping through to read about the Dogon tribe, or mysterious green cave children, or some other UFO thing. It was this pic and it was the size of like 2 postage stamps and i have no idea why it wigged me out so drat badly for so so long

e:
More recently (but still a number of years back), i started to notice that any UFO in Japanese pop culture was the same UFO: a saucer with a dome, and three orbs on the bottom. I couldn't figure out how to explore that notion so it was mostly just a "huh, that's weird/neat" thing i forgot about. Then a few weeks back youtube offered me the solution. Turns out the cool vid is by a poo poo person Thanks algorithm. gently caress you algorithm

ts;dw

For whatever reason Japan really fixated on George Adamski's pictures and that particular design really stuck over there.

basically this:

It's all over the place in games, t-shirts and wherever

a kitten has a new favorite as of 19:20 on Mar 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh ugh

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

One of my favorite conspiracy theories is the Phantom Time Hypothesis which is basically that 300 years in the middle ages were skipped over to make sure the calendar hit year 1000. For some reason.

wikipedia posted:

The phantom time hypothesis is a historical conspiracy theory asserted by Heribert Illig. First published in 1991, it hypothesizes a conspiracy by the Holy Roman Emperor Otto III, Pope Sylvester II, and possibly the Byzantine Emperor Constantine VII, to fabricate the Anno Domini dating system retroactively, in order to place them at the special year of AD 1000, and to rewrite history[1] to legitimize Otto's claim to the Holy Roman Empire. Illig believed that this was achieved through the alteration, misrepresentation and forgery of documentary and physical evidence.[2] According to this scenario, the entire Carolingian period, including the figure of Charlemagne, is a fabrication, with a "phantom time" of 297 years (AD 614–911) added to the Early Middle Ages.

The hypothesis has never attracted any support from historians.
https://allthatsinteresting.com/phantom-time-hypothesis

I like it because it's obviously false, but is exactly the sort of thing you might think up while hanging out drinking or smoking with friends some late night.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Heck, those black eyed children from a a few pages back are straight out of japanese horror movies/their western remakes

a kitten has a new favorite as of 00:11 on Mar 25, 2021

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

stereobreadsticks posted:

Replace the US flag with either the California or Cascadia flags and I'd wear that bigfoot t-shirt.

Searching bigfoot + cascadia got a lot of hits so you might be in luck.

Thinking back on Nessie up there and i'm so used to the idea of it "really" being some sort of plesiosaur or something similar that i forget that some of the descriptions don't match that at all. So, sure why can't it be some sort of giant squid-blob.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Bulgaroctonus posted:

That Australian playground reminds me of one I used to play at here in Texas when I was little. It was an absolutely huge saucer with a ladder running up through it and even in the early/mid eighties had that wonderful smell of rust and hot metal. I took my daughter there not too long ago, and uh...it’s not quite as big as I remember :doh:

Aliens shrunk it, obviously

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Early in high school I read Chariots of the Gods and a sequel and totally ate that poo poo up. Looking for something similar I ended up reading one called Crash Go the Chariots, which might actually have been the first thing I encountered to push back against all that sort of stuff. I barely remember it beyond the title and I think it might have been a specifically christian attack on those ideas, but even a little "ya know? Maybe it's not aliens" went a long way.

But not too far of a long way, because that's also roughly when I read Whitley Strieber's Communion and that stupid book gave me a low key phobia about looking out windows after dark that lasted well into adulthood.

a kitten has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Apr 12, 2021

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

If you have some time to listen to a podcast, this episode is pretty great. This is Love is a podcast about love in many different forms, this particular one is about someone's love of making mysterious monster footprints on a beach in Florida.

The Clearwater Monster

e: or here's an article with pics about the same subject (the podcast is good tho and worth a listen imo)
https://www.tampabay.com/life-culture/history/2021/01/05/remember-the-clearwater-monster-its-having-a-moment/

a kitten has a new favorite as of 05:01 on Apr 15, 2021

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Chris Pistols posted:

Are they any passable cryptid films? I'm told there has never been a decent Bigfoot horror made, which is a shame. Mothman Prophecies worth a go? B-movies are one thing, but surely someone's had a go at making a good film involving one of these beasties.

If aliens will work for you, I really liked Vast of Night. Set up kind of like a Twilight Zone episode and pretty low budget, but well made. As far as cryptid creatures go, i think maybe Willow Creek was reasonably well liked? Possibly? It's a 2013 found footage style bigfoot horror movie.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There's only one Big Foot, he just travels around through the Secret Tibetan Tunnels

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Here's a* 2002 article about it from one of Seattle's weekly papers

https://www.thestranger.com/seattle/coke-machine-near-corner-of-john--broadway/Content?oid=12375

*very silly

When I moved here it only had the one "mystery" button, some time after it got a little press it changed to All Mystery

also, I've seen a pic of it being restocked

a kitten has a new favorite as of 04:05 on Jun 17, 2021

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh wow, i had no idea the alien autopsy guys actually came out and said it was a "reconstruction" of a film he had definitely actually seen, but that there's totally some random real frames in it, somewhere

a kitten has a new favorite as of 19:32 on Jun 23, 2021

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

(sorta) related to the above Not Deer on the last page

https://twitter.com/cullend/status/1413983725675819009?s=19

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

There's a great documentary about them as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIWpJ5Jl4fE
Not sure if it's streaming anywhere right now.

I saw one on South street in Philly about 5 seconds after arriving for the first time and I was like "man, this place owns"

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cryptidalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Everyone knows foxes are the most trustworthy of all Japanese spirits, so I say trust her