Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Reminds of the old mystery show that Arthur C Clarke hosted several years ago and aired on Discovery Channel before they turned into the docudrama channel.
I remember at least the sea monster episode featuring the classic shot of the rotting basking shark carcass that got picked up by a Japanese trawler. I wonder if that one is still in circulation as proof of sea monsters of if its been seriously debunked by now.

Animal X on Animal Planet was another classic that I remember watching as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

stereobreadsticks posted:

It was illustrating the story of Antônio Villas Boas, a Brazilian farmer who not only claimed to have been abducted by aliens but also claimed to have had sex with one of them. He claimed that after his abduction he was stripped, slathered in some kind of gel that apparently made him horny, then the beings that abducted him left the room and another being entered. He described this alien as an incredibly attractive naked woman with platinum blonde hair but bright red underarm and pubic hair. Apparently after the act was finished she seemed relieved to have gotten it over with and gestured to her stomach and the sky, which he interpreted as meaning that she had conceived and would raise the baby in space. Apparently after they dropped him off he got all pissed off because they just used him for his sperm instead of, I don't know, taking him with them or something? I don't know what his preferred outcome would have been to be honest.

Oh hey, I remember reading that story in a UFO book when I was a kid as well during my UFO phase. But in my case the illustration of his partner was a bit more simpler. But she was naked and had the red pubes as I remember it.

Incidentally, living ground sloths still occasionally pop up as cryptid stories, particularly in South America where some cryptozoologists identify the folkloric creature known as the Mapinguari as a ground sloth.

Remember seeing an episode of Animal X about reports of seeing one of those. Complete with shoddy, far too dark, CGI animations of one emerging out of a cave or something.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

They had to go bigger and claimed the existence of a 6500 year old transoceanic connection to the world's oldest civilization.

Seems like a recurring theme from what I can tell. A friend of mine, with rather dubious beliefs sometimes, tried to make me watch a documentary a few years back about there being some ancient proto-civilization that spanned the Earth because of "conclusive" (read incredibly vague without zero backing) evidence and that historians were covering it up (I think) because they didn't want to answer their "hard hitting" (read bullshit) questions during interviews.
It was so atrociously bad that I told him to shut that thing off after like 20 minutes because it was obviously huffing its own farts about the whole thing.
There does seem to be a weird, most likely incredibly racist, idea that ancient civilizations weren't able to do things on their own and were all getting boosted or just stole from some lost forerunner super-civilization.
Weird way to knock on human ingenuity and creativity.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

One of my anthropology professors would go absolutely ballistic if anyone dared mention ancient aliens around her. Even if you mentioned you thought the concept was ridiculous, you'd at least get the stink eye.

I can imagine that whole thing is extra annoying for people in the anthropology field so the reaction is understandable. Especially if you've had to deal with those kind of people who believe it in some fashion.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Otteration posted:

Curious: do posters ITT wanna believe, but can't get past the obvious lack of data?

Selective believer. I mean I believe in life elsewhere in the universe but not so much with UFOs and alien visitations for instance.
When it comes to cryptids I'd be more inclined to believe that marine ones exists than land ones, due to the size and depth of the ocean.
Like others I'd love if they were real, but at the same time if they were they'd lose their luster somewhat and just become yet another animal out there.

But otherwise they're just an interesting cultural thing, when it's not co-opted by really awful people that is.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I had completely forgotten about Oak Island and just assumed someone had dropped enough money on some big expedition to go down whatever mystery shaft that I remember reading about and checking it out thoroughly with some drone sub.
Guess not.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I lightly recomend watching his video on DB Cooper and his ones on the alien sightings. Both are extremely informative, and they're some of the best breakdowns i've seen on the subject.

Speaking of DB Cooper I watched BBC Storyville's The Hijacker Who Vanished: The Mystery of DB Cooper a while ago. Really interesting watch because it's main focus, alongside telling the story of DB Cooper and what he did, is about the people who say they knew him. Not so much trying to explain everything, or try to solve the mystery, but still a good watch.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah cryptozoology/paranormal/UFO stuff usually has a lot in common with conspiracy theories because they both work via the same mechanisms

Now that's a connection I haven't fully made until but it makes a lot sense, as both areas does require you to suspend or disregard logic in order to believe its true.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Have a mothman video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u_BHcMTBQY

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Speaking of James Randi, so I was going to recommend the documentary Exposed: Magicians, Psychics and Frauds about him. But then it turns out it was just a renamed version of An Honest Liar.
You should watch it anyway.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://apnews.com/article/oddities-michigan-theft-ec665da8b9143fc21e98343639067a6a

Police in Michigan are on the lookout for the person who stole a Sasquatch.
A sasquatch lawn ornament sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Well I guess we know where the main X-COM base is.