Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Aw sweet, there was a good paranormal thread a while back (probably in a different subforum) that's been gone too long to dig up, glad to have a current one.

Our friend the Chupacabra is my favorite cryptid in a way, because I remember all the reports stating up back in the '90s. Coincidentally I was visiting my grandparents, who randomly decided to listen to Art Bell-esque paranormal radio that summer, and I was young enough to think "they couldn't say it on the radio if it wasn't true" :v:

Many sleepless nights were had that summer. Good memories. Also I have a Puerto Rican friend whose mom absolutely swears she saw one on their farm, killing their animals :ohdear::tinfoil::ssh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

david_a posted:

You’re probably aware of this but the Chupacabra is literally Sil from the movie Species:

That's pretty awesome, I think I've read that and forgotten about it since. Seems like one of the bigger cases of things in TV or movies suddenly becoming the next big thing people think they see IRL.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Twist: the photo is actually real but Nessies are the size of a duck

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh hey, there's a semi-local cryptid in WI that I absolutely love.

Meet the Hodag:

Backreading the thread and was excited to see this. I worked in Rhinelander for a while back in 2019 and got to hang out with this fine fellow for a month:

Doubly fun because I remembered driving through there and seeing the main statue way back when I was a kid, having forgotten about it in the years since then. It's neat, about the most localized cryptid I can think of.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

"Cryptid scented candles" is a phrase I never would've expected to encounter a week ago, but one I'm very much on board with

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Marcade posted:

Even knowing what it is in the video I kind of panicked.

Here's the video for anyone who doesn't feel like driving into reddit comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scoJ6IsU7B0

Yeah, that's pretty bonkers. I could imagine seeing it from the right angle in the fog, already in a bad mindset, and having no clue what it is.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The Cryptids of Fallout 76

That's cool, I never knew about any of that. Really good art too, it fooled me into thinking they found an obscure old book series to base them on (and I'm a little disappointed that I can't read them now).

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Good news! They actually made little recorded short stories to go along with each of the book covers

Awesome, thanks :tipshat:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's also the ningen which is a fairly recent ocean cryptid which is supposedly about 20 to 30 metres long and is often depicted like this:

?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh man I had that one too! So much of my childhood was spent obsessively reading stuff like that despite being terrified by half the stuff in it :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Was it this painting?

Legit snorted when I saw that compared to my mental image, all I can think of is her wandering around being all "how do you do, fellow humans" :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Here's a lesser known cryptid: The silky anteater

I wish these were real

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

It's an April Fools prank, mostly using footage from other movies. But if it catches on I bet they'd actually put it into production

:negative:
I stopped scrolling to watch it exactly at the point where this part of the post was just offscreen :(

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

drat that's a badass photo though, too bad it's wasted on an insane right wing nutjob.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Flying Zamboni posted:

The Creationist belief in giants is very weird when you dig into it. They believe that, per their interpretation of a verse in Genesis in which God "separated the water from the water," that the earth at it's creation was surrounded by a "water vapor canopy" that created a more oxygen rich environment that caused everything to be gigantic in size, meaning that humans and dinosaurs weren't that different in size and could easily live side by side until God flooded the earth by emptying the water canopy onto the planet.

:pwn:
That's bizarre, I grew up in an extremely Young Earth household with lots of views on how things were different back then thanks to water vapor and oxygen, but I don't think I ever heard of all people being huge rather than just giants existing too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Obvious photoshop, no child could be that large.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That sounds like a great drunk watch.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

a kitten posted:

But not too far of a long way, because that's also roughly when I read Whitley Strieber's Communion and that stupid book gave me a low key phobia about looking out windows after dark that lasted well into adulthood.

I had that same phobia but the weird part is, I lived out in the country and went camping a lot, and it somehow started even before I really cared about aliens. I specifically recall a day dream where a deer, of all things, spooked me by looking in. Something about its intelligent eyes freaked me out.

And then aliens and chupacabras entered the scene :cry:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Mutant Headcrab posted:

My favorite ghost hunting show was Paranormal Home Inspectors.

This is both the dumbest and best reality show, an absolute must watch for anyone in this thread.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

watch out for the chupacobol

:golfclap:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Don't believe the mainstream media, Tree Shrimps are real!!! :tinfoil:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That one still bugs me to this day. I know there's a lot that can be covered by meteorological optical phenomena but that never feels like it covers everything. Like, I don't think there was an actual spaceship battle going on or anything, I'm just always driven crazy out of curiosity over what freaked people out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh yeah, I remember that one now. Close-up meteor bits would be enough to freak me out even knowing what they are.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh man, such weird memories with this one. I both loved it and was terrified by it, on the same level as watching Jurassic Park the first time. It's also a complete :psypop: because somehow in my extremely sheltered, conservative home, nobody batted an eye at the nudity in a PG movie. I'm guessing this one hasn't aged too well.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

Boggy Creek II And the legend continues also by Charles Pierce is worth a watch too.

They're both super atmospheric. One of them has an MST3K episode too,but I forget which

It's the second one, which is actually the third one because the original Boggy Creek II was actually unrelated to the first one's director.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Crossposting myself because that's a headline that needs to be seen

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Along these lines, there's a somewhat-interesting chupacabra movie called Indigenous. The bulk of it is a decent-but-generic creature feature about kids dying in the woods, but then the last act takes a swerve where the 'cabra accidentally ends up objectively proven. Suddenly there are worldwide repercussions: cryptozoology is effectively destroyed because it's lost the fringe appeal and has been overtaken by actual zoologists. Chupacabras are studied like any other animal, put in zoos and whatever. Basically all the stuff that's left out of your typical monster movie, and that cryptozoologists have failed to accomplish for decades.

That actually sounds pretty intriguing depending on how substantial it is, the ending basically sounds exactly like what I'd want to see from a monster movie to make it stand out from the crowd.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh yeah, I want to believe in a lot of cryptid/paranormal stuff, just because I like the idea of there being fantastic things that don't quite fit into the everyday mundane world. But I'm also just fascinated by solving mysteries, I'd be just about as happy to figure out if there's actually stuff going on that explains things like Bigfoot or UFOs beyond peoples' confusion or mental problems, or tying things like infrasonic vibrations to specific "hauntings".

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Look there's no reason to assume Bigfoot is a meth head

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I'm watching Lemmino's video on Flight 370

That's an interesting watch, there's a whole lot of ambiguity and uncertainty in the observations but the last-minute addendum of a possible turn towards Christmas Island feels like it makes a lot of sense as a hijacking scenario rather than just making random turns heading indefinitely off over the ocean. It's been long enough that I don't remember if anything came of it, though.

Also relevant to the thread, watching that pointed me to an interesting Bermuda Triangle video from the same channel. Seems like they're worth a subscribe.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Watching another one about the lost Roanoke colony, I'm amazed at the number of accounts I've read of the mysterious CROATOAN carving that failed to mention that the Roanoke folks had a predetermined plan to leave a notice if they had to move somewhere else, and that there was a nearby Croatoan island :v::respek::ms:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Whats the SEA monster that's a womans head flying around with her organs hanging down?

She's real, and strong, and she's my friend

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I need to know more about this one :stwoon:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

A dried stingray:

Lmao that's rad as hell :five:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Fionn Mac Cumhaill (pronounced Finn McCool)

I'm legally changing my name to Finn McCool :c00lbert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Friendly reminder to not sign Death oaths when you get a job, it's never worth it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/_Rewhan/status/1404873218373033987

Does a mysterious machine count as a cryptid?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I wish I could go out and buy a mystery discontinued soda right now :smith:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

There has to be an SCP based on that.

http://www.scpwiki.com/scp-261
?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/grescoe/status/1406625093535555599
This is more on the conspiracies/junk science side of the thread, but it's fun to watch that statue. It looks like it's enjoying itself a nice walk!