Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I mean, you know what really lives in Japan? Giant salamanders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vAxdmb-Qkc

I feel like seeing a salamander the size of a dog would make the idea of a chubby little snake seem way more believable via comparison.

As a total aside, I always thought the sole North American member of the giant salamander family was neat, but not neat enough to really merit its common name, "HELLBENDER" :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I doubt it was ever a concept intended to be taken seriously, unlike Sasquatch (or Bigfoot) or the Jersey Devil, but I always liked the Hidebehind, whose traits were essentially "being fast, quiet, and real fuckin' creepy". A big ol' thing that preyed upon lumberjacks, the Hidebehind could, well, hide behind things as quick as you could turn your head, so you never got to actually see it. If it couldn't hide behind a tree or a rock or a hillside, it'd dance around behind you. It apparently didn't like the smell of liquor, so, getting riotously drunk was your best defense. One presumes the Hidebehind was trotted out as an excuse to naive young crew hands who asked why you were breaking out the whiskey while on the job.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

feedmyleg posted:

I've always wanted to pull a cryptid hoax. The big thing stopping me from giving it a shot is the thought of somebody in 50 years using it as evidence in an anti-science argument.

You're an 04, did you post in the Slenderman thread at all? I did a couple times, even one of those dumb "omg i couldn't sleep last night" style posts, cause sometimes I have a stupid overactive imagination and my brain deserves a good kicking. Anyway, at the start he was characterized as more of a forest-dwelling supernatural-style cryptid than whatever the youtube mythologies and movies and sick teenagers turned him into.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Right. From the op of the thread (not the slenderman poster, just the person who started the "create paranormal images" thread)

quote:

Creating paranormal images has been a hobby of mine for quite some time. Occasionally, I stumble upon odd web sites showcasing strange photos, and I always wondered if it were possible to get one of my own chops in a book, documentary, or web site just by casually leaking it out into the web -- whether they'd be supplements to bogus stories or not.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Lunatic Sledge posted:

strong toad is between battle toad and captain toad on my favorite toads list

Very bottom of the list is the yourcarhasbeen.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Elvis became a cryptid after his death, people keep claiming they'd seen him

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Bold of you to assume that Earth, Wind & Fire aren't aliens that came to Earth to share funky tunes.

Earth Wind and Fire are the human supergroup developed to combat George Clinton spiriting the funkiest away and sequestering them on his mothership

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

I love how they point to the Moai and go "how could they have used rollers to move these? there are no Trees on Rapa Nui!" when duh, the reason they don't have any trees is because they chopped them all down for the rollers. AA doofs never seem to do anything more than use general knowlage to base their claims on. Anyone with a high school knowlage of history can see through all their bullshit, but they're aiming this at people who don't know anything more than what they've seen in movies and on tv about ancient civilizations and the idea that they are mysterious unknowns is way more common and popular and actual historical, anthropological and archeological surveys of ancient and non white cultures.

Well, possibly some to help erect the statues, some to build settlements, apparently polynesian rats and historical climate change are also partly responsible, and it doesn't help that the most predominant tree took like 100 years to grow to size.

Also, the statues may have actually been "walked" into place with ropes. I don't know if there's any actual evidence that this happened, other than the inhabitants saying the statues "walked" there. But it's possible to teeter a statue from one side to the other, pivoting it forward as it moves. I do the same process writ small with a set of big wooden ramps I have for working on my car, it's way easier than lifting them.

What kills me about tv like Ancient Aliens is that they're frequently covering topics I'd love to learn more about, but they poo poo it all up with hogwash.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

Members of the Centauri emperor’s court deal in lies and half-truths all day long.

I would definitely believe that Tsoukalos cheats at cards with his prehensile dick

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The Ancient Aliens show does occasionally point its Idiot Beam at some of the more well-known european and euro-adjacent cultures outside of Stonehenge and other western european henges. Though I suspect that's because of grasping for material. They love bringing up Gobekli Tepe, and I remember a show recently talking about the Antikythera mechanism (which is honestly cool as hell and I get sad and angry every time I think about how we don't know where the workshop is that produced it, because imagine having that information about Hellenistic engineering practices, gently caress).

(Confession time, my wife loves Ancient Aliens even though she knows it's bullshit. I mostly just read a book or watch something on my phone while it's on. It's largely for the reason I said earlier, you don't really get other TV shows about sites like Gobekli Tepe or Nan Madol, though there's a couple shows about abandoned structures on another network that we also like. But it's harder to catch.)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chris Pistols posted:

Mothman Prophecies worth a go?

I've seen it twice, once when it came out on DVD or w/e and once last year. It's ok! Kinda bland, can't remember much to say about it other than "chap... stick"

Good ambient soundtrack though. My dad bought the CD and I was a bit shocked finding out his musical tastes weren't just classic rock and 90's country.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oak Island is privately owned, and in 2019, a partnership including the galoots from the Oak Island tv show purchased the rights to the island

I thought they had also set up a show about the Bermuda Triangle but there were only a few episodes of that so far

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

If I was living in a cabin way out in the woods and I was a bit of an excitable idiot and I saw these things peering through my windows late at night I might just assume they were demonic goblins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ik29zMbHaY

Eurasian eagle-owl are pretty drat huge but the Great grey owl which ranges over parts of North America is slightly larger, although lighter. (It's an extremely fluffy owl.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrQmFx0XFpI

The Fourth Kind was ultimately a bunch of fuss about not much, but the one really fun thing it did was make barn owls scary by giving them extra eyeshadow

FreudianSlippers posted:

Now if his fellow Irish cultural hero Cúchulhainn was there it might make more sense because he had a war form where in battle he'd transform into a horrific monstrous beast:

Goddamn that's awesome, Irish super saiyans don't gently caress around in the slightest

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Elk bugling in the late evening near the little mountain lake campsite I was at would have been real upsetting if I didn't know elk bugled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVL3MYasc-k

Halfway between a squeaky castle door and a Nazgul imo

That thing about the etymology of "deer" was correct, incidentally. I think King Lear is the most likely place you're going to run into that sense of it ever these days, there's a line in it about "mice and rats, and [other] such small deer"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

In the middle of the last image of that tumblrdump

"It was a deor, but not a deer". Not really cryptid related except for falling in the middle of a discussion about the Not Deer, I just like talking about the history of words sometimes

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

New cryptid dropped.

God, polar bears are looking worse every year

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Those are spatterdashes (AKA spats). They're usually worn over your shoes & socks to protect them from mud & rain.

Scrooge McDuck wears spats but no shoes

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

1stGear posted:

"Hahaha! At last, after a thousand years, I am free to destroy the wor- oh. Oh poo poo. I, uh, guess you folks are already beating me to it."

Never shoulda touched the black sarcophagus

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I've spent far too much time on these forums, when you said goatman I was legitimately expecting a sighting of a stretched anus guy

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

Yeah, that's correct. Probably a Telepath if it's that skinny.

Probab- YOU WERE THERE

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Anything is a cryptid if youre bravecowardly enough

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

big dyke energy posted:

Can't believe some alien just left their dildo lying around? Pretty inconsiderate.

Roadside Dicknic

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flint_Paper posted:

A: Lol that's me (the OP, not the Crungus)

Exactly the sort of thing a crungus would say :tinfoil:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ambitious Spider posted:

betty and Barney hill abduction

I'd like to thank my brain for never not trying to skip a gear and substitute "Rubble" for "Hill"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Knormal posted:

I'm more curious about that northernmost furry enclave in Alberta. I don't know how many fursuit owners a dot represents but it's very interesting that whatever tiny-rear end city that represents has enough of them to show up.

Northeast of Edmonton, right by the SK border... Lol I think that's Cold Lake

Which, it's not a very big city at all, but it is the site of one of Canada's two fighter jet bases! RCAF now stands for Royal Canadian Air Furries.

E: I know directions

Phy has a new favorite as of 23:24 on Dec 15, 2022

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
They're after our sodium

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The_Doctor posted:

Incident at Loch Ness is the gold standard here.

Werner Herzog is a little eccentric but I think it's going too far to call him a "cryptid"

(saw it a couple months ago and I do recommend)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Every time I see Whitley Streiber on some goddamn aliens show I make a point of saying he looks nothing like Christopher Walken

I'm sure one day he'll hear me and be just devastated

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chairman Capone posted:

Reading The Mothman Prophecies really makes it funny to consider how the public image of Mothma has changed in the last few years.

Richard Gere is like "okay, what's in my pocket" and Indrid Cold says "Chapstick" and he's like "ha, wrong, I don't use lip balm" and Indrid Cold says "No, you idiot, I said chap's dick, don't play pocket pool on the phone for fucks sake"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

twistedmentat posted:

Speaking of alien books, I've always been curious about Communion. I figured there would at least be some video on YouTube, but all I could find was someone with an extremely thick accent talk about how they read it in high school but turned into him talking about how much sex he had in high school.

Should be pretty easy to get it from your local library or interlibrary loan system

Communion is the one big Grey movie I was never really interested in, because I thought Strieber had achieved some sort of peace with his greys, making him more of a contactee than an abductee. I guess I'm in it for the horrible space goblins.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
How wide is your smile

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chairman Capone posted:

It’s also funny that that’s what they chose to make Mothman look like when the illustrations from the time had him look more like a bell pepper with eyes.

Chairman Kaga could defeat the mothman?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What the hell was Enormous Face Man from 1972??

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

blatman posted:

ogopogo is real

Ogopogo IS real but she pronounces it o-gop-oggo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't know enough about the guy to really crack jokes, but this:

twistedmentat posted:

I like how there's all pictures of assorted crackpots and grifters, and then Garrett Wang is there.

and that it's a signed publicity photo do make a certain kind of suggestion

Though I have heard that his podcast where he shoots the poo poo with with Robert Duncan "Tom Paris" McNeill about Voyager is pretty good