Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Have any cryptids actually been discovered to be real since the term cryptozoology has been in use (1950s, according to my cursory wikipedia search)?

Edit: I ask since the examples I always see are pre-20th century.

Edit2: Maybe a better question is when is the last time a cryptid or supposedly mythical animal turned out to be real?

EasilyConfused has a new favorite as of 22:14 on Mar 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

One recent one is the Indonesian bondegezou which cryptozoology sites used to list as a tiny 3' tall bigfoot-like creature with patchy black and white fur and was always included in lists of "Bigfoot creatures from other countries" alongside the yeti and the orang-pendek and the yeren and all the rest but in the mid 90s a scientist actually got hold of one and discovered it was a tree kangaroo.

Cool, thanks! Personally, I find this kind of thing more interesting than the nonsensical Bigfoot/Nessie type of creature. Although those are still interesting for the light they shed on how people construct belief systems.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Oregon, huh?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Mods, please change my name to Strong Toad

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Thanks to whoever bought me this kickass avatar!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Pastry of the Year posted:

This fun little page goes from "Paul somehow wouldn't 'get w/ the program,' wouldn't quit, & was eliminated" to "On October 9, 1979 Carter robotoid No. 18 was scheduled to hold a news conference" before you know it.

The Soviets were apparently really behind in this technology, says they were only up to Brezhnev No. 2.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

I should also mention that the show is diving deep into the woo this season with a whole bunch of kooky stuff

I am shocked, shocked, I tell you!

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Jetto Jagga posted:

When someone else pointed out how some of his Beamships were built out of a specific brand of garbage can Meier said that the Pleiadans had attempted to transmit Beamship schematics to our primitive minds telepathically but the best we got was a garbled message that some industrial designers turned into garbage cans. :allears:

That's a pretty brilliant excuse, ngl.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hARjT7uoWUg

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Treguna Mekoides posted:

If anyone actually has information about this creature, especially if you're Brazilian or Portuguese, please free me.

:stare:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Log082 posted:

Let's talk about vaguely plausible sea monsters, then!

My personal favorite is the Lusca, a giant octopus said to live in the "blue hole" in the Bahamas, which are huge, flooded vertical caves that connect with each other and the ocean. The inland holes are typically freshwater on top and salt water on the bottom. People that go missing in blue holes are often attributed to the Lusca, and supposedly even strong swimmers vanish without blood or gore, ruling out drownings and shark attacks (if, of course, you believe the accounts claims about swimming prowess.) Sharks and other marine predators are also ruled out because many of these supposed attacks occur in the inland holes, which connect to the ocean only through caves far too narrow to admit anything - except, perhaps, a soft bodied octopus.

As with pretty much every cryptid, there are eyewitness accounts of varying believability, and even a reported body: https://web.archive.org/web/20110122221133/http://freeport.nassauguardian.net/national_local/76226686916908.php There was also a River Monsters episode on the cryptid, though I haven't seen it. Jeremy Wade was always more fun when he was tracking down some obscure species of arapaima, anyway, though I do appreciate the mix of skepticism and willingness to play along that he brought to the more out there episodes.

Blue holes are pretty neat choices for "plausible" cryptids. They're really difficult to explore and a lot of divers get out of their depth (no pun intended) very quickly and drown.

For a summary of types in the Bahamas (although they exist in other places), check out this website that (at least on my computer) has...interesting formatting: http://www.bahamascaves.com/blueholes.html

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

FreudianSlippers posted:

30 meters as long as the largest blue whales. Blue whales being he largest animal ever to exist. That thing would have to weight at least a 100 tons. I'm no kaiju biologist but I think it would be pretty difficult for something that large to walk around on just two legs

On an ice floe no less.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

It's pretty evident that the whole "proving the skeptics wrong" aspect of cryptozoology is just as important (if not even more important) than the scientific discovery aspect for most of the people who by into it.

Definitely, otherwise they'd just be specialized (amateur) zoologists.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

feedmyleg posted:

Yup. Here's the transcript of a secretly-taped conversation between captured top German nuclear physicists finding out about the atomic bomb for the first time. They talk candidly about how disorganized and barebones the Nazis were when it came to developing anything of massive scale during the war.

It's pretty fascinating to read through:

For all of the transcripts, with annotations and explanations by Jeremy Bernstein, I recommend his book Hitler's Uranium Club. Really shows how full of poo poo they were in their post-war claims of having intentionally sabotaged the German bomb effort.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Bigfoots have been reported in every US state and East Texas is a real hot spot. They've been holding bigfoot conferences/conventions in Texas for several decades now

I love that someone apparently saw bigfoot near Wilmington, Delaware. Not exactly a lot of wilderness around there to hide in.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Brandfarlig posted:

It's also "interesting" that there's only one footprint when the surrounding ground is soft too.

Well yeah, it's bigfoot not bigfeet, ya dummy.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

PurpleXVI posted:

I recently stumbled on a new conspiracy theory which I guess is tangentially related to "hollow earth" stuff. The idea that there's a perpetual titanic underground war, which is supposed to explain things like unexpected earthquakes. It also seems to be connected to covid insanity somehow???

https://twitter.com/d_feldman/status/1667640020629323776?s=46

Complete with giant, elaborate maps of the UNDERGROUND ROUTES and UNDERGROUND BATTLE ZONES. Don't ask me why there's a grid of giant tunnels underneath Greenland in particular, though.

Anyone bumped into this one before?

I think this came up in one of the Ukraine War threads oddly enough. IIRC, some weirdo fringe Finnish politician who was a believer in it got arrested as a Russian spy.

Edit: Also not sure how I lost the thread that gave me my avatar, just caught up with a year of posts.

Edit2: It was the D&D thread:

Nenonen posted:

In Finland two twin brothers and one of theirs fiancee, all three who were candidates in this spring's parliamentary elections, are being suspected of treason. The reason for treason was that they believe Finland is being invaded through underground tunnels and to prove this they have been recording videos around army bases and depots and posting them online.

All of this is so marginal of marginal that it didn't make any headlines during the elections, only afterwards when they were indicted. Of course they are educated people, :brainworms: does not occur on normal idiots.
//conspiracychat

EasilyConfused has a new favorite as of 03:33 on Jun 14, 2023

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Telsa Cola posted:

I will take any allies in the battle against all those educational channels which decided to loving nuke the educational aspects of their programing and go with garbage poo poo.

I am still bitter and always will be.

:same:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

EDIT: oh boy, a lot of the articles I read repeat that line from Wikipedia that the earliest known mention of drop bears in print was from 1982, if someone with Wikipedia editing privileges could add a mention of the 1967 article that might help future "researchers"

Isn't the whole point of Wikipedia that anyone can edit it?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

AmiYumi posted:

And anyone else can edit it back, and there’s a certain type of “anyone else” that spends all day every day refreshing pages to watch for edits that don’t fit their agenda. They have more time and patience than you do.

You really think there's someone out there who's obsessed with putting inaccurate information about drop bears in Wikipedia?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

The wikipedia page for drop bears is 'semi protected' because of past vandalism and only "established editors" can change it

Well I was clearly wrong then! People are weird.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

nonathlon posted:

I've sometimes said that a particular event is a mystery but not mysterious. Roanoke? The disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa? The death of Elisa Lam? The Flannan Isle lighthouse keepers? Mysteries - we don't know exactly what happened, but plausible explanations are possible that are probably correct.

There's far fewer cases that are really mysterious, where you struggle to make any sense or explanation. To pick an example, the Fausto disappearance.

What's the Fausto disappearance?

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

nonathlon posted:

Right - if you subtracted him from the story, it would be easier to believe in some joint misadventure by the crew. They were drug smuggling, decided to run away to South America, etc. But he's there - so you instead have to ask what happened to them.

One of the comments on that reddit thread postulated carbon monoxide poisoning, which is more plausible than most of the explanations.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
The Something Awful Forums > Main > Post Your Favorite: Derail Valley > Cryptids & Conspiracies: I have been a profoundly serious scientist since 1979

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Here's a special one I just found in another thread: a cryptid which is also a conspiracy

Here's the entire fake article:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210124151007/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilled_Antelope

Related: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Society_for_the_Preservation_of_the_Quazer_Beast

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

There's a lot going on in this image.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Here's a similar graphic, with dates & locations

12 should really get that growth checked out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

quote:

An experienced female investigator on a BFRO expedition in the WA Cascades, along with her female friend, were in a tent around midnight when they both got zapped mildly.
:females: