Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

My politics?

I'm a Marxist-Sasquatchist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Iceland doesn't have that many cryptids outside of the Lagarfljót Worm*, which as the name suggests is a worm and/or serpent living in the Lagarfljót river in eastern Iceland. I´m not sure if it quite counts since it's explicitly supernatural in orgin but it's also just a really big worm in a river that people sometimes spot.

The first mention of a creature in the river is from a 15th century annal where the entry for the year 1345 mentions a sighting of humps rising from the river but the phenomenon is never explicitly described as a worm just a "wonder". In a map of Iceland from 1585 there is also a inscription by the Lagarfljót which reads "In this lake a massive snake resides". There are numerous other accounts of it throughout the ages but the supposed origin of the creature doesn't appear in writing until the late 19th century when folklorist Jón Árnason recorded it. In short the story goes that in "ancient times" (in this context probably in the first centuries of settlement in Iceland circa 874-1264) a girl was given a golden ring by her mother and instructed to place a "lyngormur"(heather-worm. Probably a slug.) on it she did so and placed both the ring and the worm in a jewelry chest. However not only did the ring expand but the worm grew with it and soon enough the worm was so huge that the chest was close to bursting. In a panic she threw the chest into the river where the worm continued to grow. As it grew larger and larger it started to become a problem as it would regularly surface and spew poison over the banks of the river killing both livestock and people. Eventually two Finns (probably Sami as they were thought to be natural magic users and monsters slayers) were called in to slay the beast but only managed to tie it to the bottom of the river saying that there was another much larger worm beneath it that they didn't want to risk disturbing. This neutralized the danger of the worm but it is said that sometimes it can loosen itself enough to stick one of its humps out of the river and that a sighting of the hump is a omen of coming hardship such as natural disasters, famine, and war.

Here's a video someone recorded in 2012 Supposedly showing the worm.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGKTzNuuyrk

I did my own interpretation of it the last summer:

I made a clay figure of the humps and head and then photoshopping it into a picture I took of river on a roadtrip.

*There's a whole bunch of sea monsters (mostly animal themed whales like the mousewhale, catwhale, bullwhale, horsewhale, and also the swordwhale which is a whale with a huge swordlike bone sticking out of its back that it uses to cut ship in two). I have a book somewhere with some really nice illustrations that covers basically all types of cryptids and strange creatures ever recorded in Iceland, I need to dig it up for this thread.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just look at this tiny primitive backwater hamlet

Probably crawling with slime monsters

Also

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 03:25 on Mar 14, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Alternate names for the elusive Sasquatch include:
Ol' Tributt
The Tribumvirate
Three Cheeks McGee

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

30 meters as long as the largest blue whales. Blue whales being he largest animal ever to exist. That thing would have to weight at least a 100 tons. I'm no kaiju biologist but I think it would be pretty difficult for something that large to walk around on just two legs

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

EasilyConfused posted:

On an ice floe no less.

Maybe the ice is the actual cryptid

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

But Bosniaks are like 50% Muslims ergo they couldn't have built pyramids must've been saucermen from planet X.

:
Wait they probably weren't Muslim back then so maybe they did build those pyramids and cleverly disguise them as hills.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Atlantis was in Bolivia.

It is known.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Some good Dragons

Also this cameo by Jordan Peterson

Taken from A Fantastic Bestiary: Beasts and Monsters in Myth and Folklore by Ernst og Johanna Lehner (1969)

On the more Cryptid side of things

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 04:12 on May 13, 2021

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Fionn Mac Cumhaill (pronounced Finn McCool) being put in with a bunch of creatures and monsters is a bit off. He's basically just the Irish Hercules famous for various heroic deeds and often used to explain certain quirks of geography.

Now if his fellow Irish cultural hero Cúchulhainn was there it might make more sense because he had a war form where in battle he'd transform into a horrific monstrous beast:

Thomas Kinsella via Wikipedia posted:

The first warp-spasm seized Cúchulainn, and made him into a monstrous thing, hideous and shapeless, unheard of. His shanks and his joints, every knuckle and angle and organ from head to foot, shook like a tree in the flood or a reed in the stream. His body made a furious twist inside his skin, so that his feet and shins switched to the rear and his heels and calves switched to the front... On his head the temple-sinews stretched to the nape of his neck, each mighty, immense, measureless knob as big as the head of a month-old child... he sucked one eye so deep into his head that a wild crane couldn't probe it onto his cheek out of the depths of his skull; the other eye fell out along his cheek. His mouth weirdly distorted: his cheek peeled back from his jaws until the gullet appeared, his lungs and his liver flapped in his mouth and throat, his lower jaw struck the upper a lion-killing blow, and fiery flakes large as a ram's fleece reached his mouth from his throat... The hair of his head twisted like the tangle of a red thornbush stuck in a gap; if a royal apple tree with all its kingly fruit were shaken above him, scarce an apple would reach the ground but each would be spiked on a bristle of his hair as it stood up on his scalp with rage

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That's just being resourceful.

Like the time Thor did drag and almost married a giant because that giant stole his hammer.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I want to believe

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Subscribed without watching more than one second

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The old Norse for "animal" is "dýr" pronounced basically the same as deer.

This made its way into English like egg, ransack, and husband.

Or possibly both are from the same old Germanic root what do I know I'm not a linguisticalist.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

feedmyleg posted:

Bigfoot exclusively eats my rear end

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It was 100% goblins.

Owls aren't real.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

stereobreadsticks posted:

I Also, his voice sounds exactly like Kermit the Frog.

That's just 90% of Americans.

The remaining 10% are much more nasally and whiny

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Where I come we have the much more tame and child friendly Grýla. An ogress who eats all naughty children on Christmas. Her cat, The Yule Cat, also eats anyone, child or adult, who doesn't get any new clothes for Christmas.

The oldest mention of Grýla as some sort of bogeyman, though not Yule related, is from Saga of the Sturlungs, which was compiled circa 1300 from slightly older texts concerning the civil war of 1220-1262, where before riding into battle a character compares his army to Grýla.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've read some old British books where they claim that the Irish are actually Phoenicians and/or Scythians that swept in from the Orient and massacred the native Britons and took over.

Additionally the Irish are obviously moon worshipping pagans in addition to being heretical papists and the fact that many of them were pastoralists meant that they weren't really using the land properly anyway.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

His actual name is Lord Bagefaytaugh it's just pronounced ,,Bigfoot"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I thought Moore was from Birmingham

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I remember reading that the Norse called earthworms "niðurrigningar" or downrainers because they appeared in great numbers after the rain so obviously they must've fallen from the sky with the rain.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Japan has such a high conviction rate that even if he was actually demonstrably from an alternate earth they would've thrown the book at him.

If you're arrested in the first place you're almost guaranteed to get convicted.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

That book goes some places.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Me too.

I had recently read The Gallows Pole a pretty good historical novel about 18th century coin clippers and one main character has frequent visions of Stagmen. So I just assumed they were some obscure piece of northern folklore

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think they're saying that thanks to movies and videogames people tend to imagine cults more as mysterious robed figures making blood sacrifices to ancient profane dieties while chanting in Latin in a secret underground chamber hidden in a crypt and not as just a otherwise plain Protestant church where the preacher says he is the greatest prophet since Abraham so everyone needs to marry their daughters to him because of the coming apocalypse.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What people picture when they think about cults

Most actual cults:

DeimosRising posted:

the "serial killer" in the tv show, true crime sense is essentially a modern mythical monster. the 20th century vampire or werewolf.

This is absolutely spot on.p

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A five year old once told me ghosts are made of light and that's how they can walk under doors and why you can only see them at night. They're still there in the day but it's too bright to see them.

He said this in the most nonchalant way possible like he was telling me what he had for dinner yesterday.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The_Doctor posted:

I’m really tempted to write a script for it! It’s a great story, and lends itself well to adaptation.

Yeah it's a really good base for a creature feature whether you'd just straight up adapt the story to a script or do an original story set decades later where someone accidentally frees the dormant creature from it's prison.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gaius Marius posted:

Girl I work with thinks the Earth is Round, but that space isn't real. From what I think I understood of her thinking, the earth is surrounded by a sort of membrane that undulates between morning and night. The day is when it's very thin and light can come in, and at night the membrane is thicker and the stars are where little pinholes are letting in light

Girl might live in the Elder Scrolls world where stars are holes in the firmament surrounding the planet created when spirits escaped when the mortal world was created by busting through reality like the Kool Aid Man. The sun is a really big hole left by a really big god.

:goonsay:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Meth is actually manufactured by capturing and bleeding Bigfeet dry over buckets and then letting it dry and crystalize.

Breaking Bad was created as a FDA psyop to fool people into thinking it can be created via chemistry.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Map of the House of The Star

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Somerton Man (of Tamam Shud fame) was an electrical engineer from Melbourne called Carl Webb.

Allegedly

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If a cliff looks like a person or animal it's obviously a troll that got caught out in sunlight and turned to stone.

This is just basic common sense.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Jesus was way cool

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I was there.

It was real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If you don't have at bare minimum two unrelated backup mics you've failed as an audio person.