Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i love the fresno nighcrawlers but that video really should have used 'legs' by zz top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Cryptids & Conspiracies: Butt?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I like big foots and i cannot lie

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Flatwoods Monster sounds like doped up radiated Mr Burns in my headcanon, bringing peace and love to all and sundry

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Slender Man is legally owned by goon creator Victor Surge (Eric Knudsen) and a mystery third party

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slender_Man#Copyright

the third party is my new favourite cryptid

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

fresno nightcrawlers aka the sisterhood of the travelling pants

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If Platypuses weren't real they would absolutely be cryptids: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNoQvjlmGdk

"Okay, so it's kind of like an otter, but it has a duck bill and webbed feet. Also they're venomous and they lay eggs."

They sound so implausible, yet here they are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmvc0DZJM-I

they were actually thought to be a hoax when first discovered and sent to British naturalists. a reverse cryptid!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

HR Giger's Chupacabra

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Trollhunter is so good, just great monster movie fun

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

very much enjoying reading about the Yara Ma Yha Who, an indigenous australian mythological beast.

https://cryptidz.fandom.com/wiki/Yara_Ma_Yha_Who

sort of a mash-up of frogs and vampires, with a lot of regurgitation. but the name itself may be from an indigenous hearing of the name 'Jeremiah'. tweet thread about it:

https://twitter.com/JeremyBoxen/status/1217845656313892864

the history of it seems kind of horribly representative of australia's brutal white colonial past. apparently it was in a story written by an indigenous man, David Unaipon, who may have been strongly influenced by old king james bible tales, then yoinked by a white man for his own publication.

so yeah. Jeremiah was a bullfrog, but he was a blood-sucking regurgitating vampire bullfrog at that.

alf_pogs has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Apr 25, 2021

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

if you want to see the original McPherson Tape movie it's currently on shudder

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

On the topic of animals who make sounds you don't expect, Koalas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPdaU9A-RqU

Yeah, If I heard that while I was wandering around Australia at night I would absolutely think I was about to die.

I live in the hills in south australia and can confirm that at 1am when you hear these guys going at it it's as loud as a motorbike and totally terrifying

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

christ the Skunk Ape is horrifying

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yeah modern human trafficking and slavery in Australia is super underreported and misidentified because it happens in plain site, and usually involves stripping someone of their passport, giving them a job where most of the money comes back to the slaver, and just letting them live their life with those conditions in place. it's blatant and not at all the "supercriminal hidden conspiracy" that internet wingnuts seem to think it is

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

stereobreadsticks posted:

I don't know why but I really hate attempts to connect bigfoot and yetis with aliens. Like, I get that it's not really any more ridiculous than anything else about either topic but something just rubs me the wrong way about combining the two.

yeah me too. it's like... is this insane missing link man-ape-beast not enough for you? do you have to add something else for it to be cool somehow?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Sausages posted:

80's animatronic bunyip nightmare fuel:

Would love to see some footage of that one, iirc the sound player for it was faulty resulting in mind-shattering howls and the moving parts were worn out so it moved rather unnaturally. Unfortunately nothing has yet emerged online.

i saw this in real life when i was a kid, about four or five. it would have been in 1989. my parents stopped for dinner in murray bridge, then afterwards, just after sundown, we went and obliterated by childhood sense of wellbeing by watching an insane melting monster emerge behind a cage next to a river.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i assume Gef is pronounced like "Jeff"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Oh yeah, I’ve driven a lot across the States, and outside of the cities, when night falls, it gets dark. It’s incredibly easy to believe things are watching you pass by. There’s just so much of it too. Even in smaller cities and towns, there’s dark parts. Creatures on the periphery is some ‘stay close to the campfire’ cavemen vine.

the tension in the horror movie The Monster is based almost entirely around this idea and it gets quite some mileage out of it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

sounds me to me like something someone who's son WAS being weird would say

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

This article has photos of the footprint

the only thing that could make a footprint that big is one big foot

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

New cryptid dropped.

seek paleblood to transcend the hunt

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

Veiled Prophet Ball, a totally normal St Louis thing where every wealthy and powerful person in the state meets in secret to have a beauty pageant where a young white girl is crowned queen and the entire thing is EXTREMELY secretive and even mentioning past winners can get freaks trying to cause trouble.

You know, normal poo poo.

Ellie Kemper from the office / unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt was one of the winners, was a really interesting thing to learn about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

are there any cryptids with cults built around them / cool insane monster-worshipping cults? is god a cryptid?