Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

I saw the Slenderman thread at the time but thought it was impossibly lame—the same as when creepypasta started its rise. It all just read as an experiment in collective fiction/storytelling to me, which didn't tap into what I thought was interesting about the subject. In retrospect I can see both of them as births of modern myth, but at the time neither had yet to have any cultural impact so they felt akin to reading fanfiction—separate from and lesser than the "real thing." But despite the fact that the big crop circle hoaxers of the 80s had already been exposed by the time I became aware of them, I thought that whole subjevt was really interesting because it was presented as fact—and despite the reveal so many people still believed in them.

They were collective fiction/storytelling. That was exactly what it was supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU