Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel like enhancing the infamous bigfoot tape makes it even more obvious that's just some guy in a gorilla suit, which I didn't think was humanly possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

nonathlon posted:

Just found this thread and I was struck by the Fresno Nightstalkers: https://cryptidz.fandom.com/wiki/Fresno_Nightcrawler

They're an interesting cryptid. There's only a handful of reports, their appearance is striking to say the least, there's no simple case for misidentification. A TV team tried to replicate the footage and failed. Quick googling doesn't reveal any debunking. So what is that, or how was it done?

There's some talk of someone duplicating the footage by digitally editing and effects but a much simpler explanation is stuck away deep in the google results:

https://youtu.be/xvIPNYTzGuA

In summary: run a fishing line across the scene, attach pyjama pants to them, then film them being pulled along in poor light. Almost absurdly simple and it explains the weird stilted walk of the cryptids.

Similarly, love to know how that Mexican dwarf footage was done.

After watching it a few times I am almost positive the original is not a puppet or anything like that video suggests. I think it's someone walking in a white cloak. If you look at the top it looks like a hood. Once you see that the rest of it falls into place and it looks like someone walking around drunk with a bit of a stumbling cadence, or maybe the video is just sped up a bit. Everything but the cloak is obstructed because of the bad quality of the video. You can also see the shadow pretty clearly in part of it and there aren't two legs or anything, it's just one form.

Barring it being an intentional hoax, my guess is that it was someone walking home from a costume party or the neighborhood goth kid that just happened to look extra spooky because that guy was still using vhs in 2010 lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's two "nightcrawlers" that cross over the yard in the 2007 Fresno video, most people concentrate on the more impressive one (timestamped around 12:46 in the security footage) and leave out the lovely first at 12:42 because it doesn't really 'walk' properly and just glides across the yard like Jamiroquai. They're each about 4 feet tall, and somewhat coincidentally the small yard they cross is surround by a metal picket fence and if you strung a wire off it it'd hang at pretty much exactly 4 feet off the ground ......

The footage first gained wide popularity on the 2010 TV show Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files, they did a breakdown of it and tried to debunk it with a kid around the same height and some really lovely puppets and didn't really draw any conclusion either way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwvkCeYtXGQ&t=238s

The original footage is so grainy and degraded because the dude set up a security camera to film his front yard because he suspected there were prowlers and when he saw the footage he rewound the VCR and taped the footage off the TV screen with a camcorder, and because the security system records over the VHS tapes the original copy was lost. Of course the versions we see online has passed through at least another round of conversion/degradation, but people still try to "enhance" it to prove that there weren't any wires or anything.

There's also a second video which show two "nightcrawlers" walking along a path at Yosemite National Park in 2011:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a1nDOPPXLM&t=27s

Ah. I guess that debunks my theory. That's definitely what it looked like to me but puppets is a better explanation.

That later one is obviously marionettes but I wasn't sure of the first.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't believe they call him bigfoot when he has three butt cheeks. seems like a more interesting feature if you ask me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Backscatter artifacts are just a thing that has always happened with flash photography, it's just way way more common with digital cameras. You also get it on film and video cameras. Youtube is full of videos like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02cI0ITnsik

This ring doorbell footage seems to have caught something similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE6vgKrdHzk

sorry I know I posted this in the horror thread too I just love this video. It works better here anyways

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've really wanted to pull a cryptid hoax for pretty much my whole life tbh.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Don't go and make me want to install Fallout 76

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

I really wish SP offline was an option in 76 because the Cryptids in it really fascinate me. I was fine with just having a bit sandbox to screw around with but needing to play with other people, i don't really care for that.

Yeah this. it wasn't FO76 being bad that put me off of it when I tried it, it was that I really dont like other players running around in my game all the time. The map actually seems good I just play those games for the solitude.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Books like that were crack to me when I was a kid. That and similar VHS tapes they had at the library back before libraries just gave up and started carrying regular movies.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

stereobreadsticks posted:

It's absolutely racist. You rarely hear about European cultures relying on intervention from aliens or ancient super-civilizations or any of that kind of thing. It's always African and Native American civilizations that people claim couldn't possibly have accomplished the things they actually accomplished.

It's most certainly racist to some extent, but the pyramids do have this other worldly quality that you can't say about say, the Colosseum or something. Like, a lot of ruins of white civilization have some obvious practical function, while so much stuff in Africa, South America, Asia etc. was ceremonial and way more extravagant. I think it's harder for people to grasp why humans would put so much labor into something that is ultimately mostly for show.

Also, you look at something like the Rapa Nui heads and we don't know that much about them, they were buried underground...there's a lot of mystique to that. So while I won't discount that there is some racist element to it I think there is more to it than that.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 04:00 on Apr 5, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

M_Sinistrari posted:

Not really. I think if the ancient Egyptians had enough material, they'd've glammed up the pyramids in gold and silver. Humanity does have a tendency to lean towards the showy, it's just the era and society that decides what style's showy.

I didn't say humanity doesn't have this tendency. I said it's harder for people to wrap their heads around a mega structure that basically serves as a showpiece/tomb vs something that is the prototype for the modern stadium. If the pyramids had served as ancient apartment buildings or something I think it would leave less room for people to let their imaginations run wild with it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alhazred posted:

That argument doesn't hold up considering no one suggests that the roman triumphal arcs was made by aliens even though there is not a single practical thing about them and that they are extremely extravagant.

This isn't a good example because we know exactly who commissioned them, designed them, how they were built, and when they were built. And yes, we know a lot about the pyramids as well, but there is still some gray area where scientists have had to speculate about to some degree, like transportation of the stones. Which is the thing that I think ultimately gets people's imagination going the most. The Roman Arches aren't even that old in the grand scheme of things. The Pyramids predate them by almost 3000 years so information is going to be spottier.

I actually regret agreeing that there is probably some racist element, because I really don't think there is. I don't think the stuff that gets AA people worked up is rooted in some racist idea that non-white people can't build amazing things. There are just certain things that have an extra layer of mystery, and my point isn't that white people can't recognize symbolic or decorative things. it's that the things that trigger these AA people have a bit of extra mystique to them that isn't hard to identify. poo poo, Stonehenge is in the UK and is probably the #2 target for speculation by Ancient Alien types after the pyramids.

It just feels like people are looking for this nefarious element to it that is either false or being really overstated.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It has the potential to reinforce racist ideas i suppose, and if you go outside of the AA stuff yeah, there are legit examples of it throughout history.

But I think in this specific case, the relics that the AA people fixate on have some notable element of mystery about them and thats the reason they get targeted. The root of it isn't "aliens built it because whites didn't build it" it's "I don't fully understand how this was built so aliens did it, because I am into aliens". I feel like stonhenge being their #2 favorite "alien" structure kind of kills the idea that it's racially motivated, even subconsciously.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Don't get me wrong white people are racist as gently caress I'm just hesitant to call this specific breed of nutjob racially motivated.

I will not see this man slandered

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think a single person here believes the pyramids were built by aliens so I doubt you'll get many arguments on that one. We are just discussing whether or not the people who believe that are racist and dumb or just normal dumb.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I watched some doc on Fascism a little while back and they talked a lot about how dumb Hitler was which was honestly something I'd never really thought about.

Honestly the parallels between Trump and basically every fascist leader they discussed (this was not the intent of the movie. It was made before Trump was pres and was a dry PBS kind of thing ) was alarming. I don't know why I hadn't really considered how dumb fascists were before that. Basically German equivalents of people riding around with Trump flags on their pickups.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7BlydBMAVU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Harry and the hendersons

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

But yeah Willow Creek is pretty good.

I feel like there is a decent amount of cryptid style movies that are worth watching, but taking an existing cryptid is risky because it can potentially come off as real hacky, so I think filmmakers usually just make up their own.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Apr 17, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is the Hulu Sasquatch thing good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Mutant Headcrab posted:

On a similar thought, if you could choose any one cryptid to actually exist, what would you pick?

I'd pick the Fresno Nightcrawler. Imagine a field full of slow walking, ethereal pants. So majestic.

Satan