Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
cross posting a reply to someone quoting smg from this thread:

Hodgepodge posted:

yeah, smg tends to be pretty careful here- if you said the sasquatch, etc, were recent inventions that would be wrong. we tend to forget that some of those stories turned out to be very literally real- the orangutan, etc. sto:lo (from who the local word sasquatch come) are quote clear that it isnt a supernatural being, but an ordinary animal, and pre-european contact between the west coast and the islands of the pacific was until recently dismissed out of hand when the idea that maybe people here just... knew about other species of ape from other people who didnt happen to be great white assholes is actually one plausible explanation (albeit not necessarily a definitive explanation).

the mysterious bigfoot based on these sort stories is a separate but related mythos, much as a strigoi is only "a vampire" because they resemble our own recent stories based on eastern european stories about various distinct types of undead creatures and real personalities such as vlad tepes dracul. the stories, people, and concepts that inspired stoker's book are then retroactively classified as examples of the imaginative category that they inspired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Obviously, all manner of 'wildman' stories predate Bigfoot. That was like the bulk of Patterson's book.

For example, Patterson cites the 1924 Ape Canyon Incident. A newspaper called The Oregonian reported that five men were attacked by hairy. rock-tossing "mountain devils" near Mt. St. Helens after killing one. Bigfeet!

Well, hold up: The Oregonian also reported that the mountain devils had rabbit-like pointed ears. There were between four and thirty of them. They were members of an mythical ancient tribe of superpowered aboriginal cavemen, with such abilities as psychic communication and mesmerism.

Fred Beck, the main guy behind the Ape Canyon story, later changed the story to more closely match the Yeti Expedition narrative, and produced the book "I FOUGHT THE APEMEN OF MOUNT ST. HELENS, WA." in 1967 - shortly after being interviewed by Patterson for his book, and around the same time that the Patterson footage was filmed. The book, co-written by Beck's son, makes no mention of the pointed ears.

At this point, Beck claimed that he himself had psychic powers. He and the other men had communicated directly with aboriginal ghosts a few years earlier, in the same spot. He could manifest objects. The mountain devils Bigfeet were now noncorporeal beings from a different vibrational plane, which became Beck's new grand unifying theory of ape-man sightings:

"Occasionally we of this dimension of space can be conscious of other beings of a different vibration and consciousness. The Abominable Snowmen are from a lower plane.When the condition and vibration is at a certain frequency, they can easily, for a time, appear in a very solid body. They are not animal spirits, but also lack the intelligence of a human consciousness. When reading of evolution we have read many times conjecture about the missing link between man and the Anthropoid Ape. The Snowmen are a missing link in consciousness, neither animal nor human. They are very close to our dimension, and yet are a part of one lower. Could they be the missing link man has been so long searching for?"

And, for that reason that Bigfeet are basically ghosts, he insisted that there would never be any actual evidence. So you can see how Beck (or, at least, his son) jumps almost directly from a proto-Bigfoot narrative to what we might call post-Bigfoot: the assertion that Bigfoot never really existed except as some kind of metaphysical concept.

theres a lot of very dry humor in lovecraft. consider that cthulhu can be read as a satire of both christ and of his own atheist reaction to the possibility of christ returning and the resurrection occurring ("with strange aeons, even death may die" is a fundamentally christian notion and he was well aware of this).

which makes me wonder if he wasnt poking a little fun at this sort of thing when his "abominable snowmen" turned out to be a species of hyper advanced fungal angel/demons (the mi-go)

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

To be clear, when the Sasquatch are described as a tribe of hairy, cave-dwelling aboriginals, it is pretty much always as a contrast to the ‘normal Indians’ (who are said to hold a healthy fear and respect for the Sasquatch tribe that the white man just doesn’t ‘get’).

A recurring ‘trope’ in Sasquatch stories is the native guide saying “stay away from that area”, so the white guy blunders on anyways and gets spooked by noises or something. In Fred Beck’s retelling of Ape Canyon, the guide is a full-bodied Native American spirit-god apparition who serves as a contrast to the ‘less-developed devil spirits’.

But, with the question of ‘is it man or beast??’, these early Sasquatch stories fall pretty firmly onto the ‘man’ side of the spectrum. You do get odd speculations about them being a distinct species of ape, but that’s way less common than references to them as ‘naked men’ or ‘a race of giants’ and so-forth.

With Bigfoot, “man or beast??” isn’t even a question. Bigfoot’s some kind of tall gorilla or orangutan.

or an alien, complete with UFOs and/or hidden ships, although that one was applied to the sasquatch as well by one of the first white 'researchers' of the topic. which could be a flipping of the script back to the 'sasquatch being the spirit/god apparition.

the whole 'stay away from those noises in the woods' angle calls mind the fact that the potlatch was banned for quite awhile around here and would often be done in secret

Hodgepodge has a new favorite as of 01:22 on Mar 9, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

CPL593H posted:

I love that this one's entire deal is that it's just really good at standing behind poo poo.

cryptozoologist: oh, it's just a box

the hunt for the legendary cryptid "solid snake" continues...

Hodgepodge has a new favorite as of 04:53 on Mar 9, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I read a news article on the latest thylacine sighting dumbassery here in Australia last month and they interviewed a rival thylacine hunter who flat out said he'd be annoyed if anyone else found proof of their existence before he did, his goal was to be the person who made the big discovery. This really ties into the metaphysical/psychoanalytical aspects of cryptozoology we were talking about earlier, people really incorporate this stuff into their sense of self.
Years and years ago when I used to be more interested in 'culture jamming' and loving with the mass media I tried to trick the local newspapers into posting fake ghost photos I'd created and never had any success, and I was really tempted to try and create some fake cryptid photos, or even making a cryptid costume and tricking some random person into photographing me. What stopped me in the end was the realisation that if I actually fooled anyone out there I might actually derail their life for several years.

is it derailing their life, or giving them a dream worth living?

would be a bad idea in america because you would probably get shot with a gun instead of a camera

quote:

They still crop up in fictionalized bigfoot movies, Bobcat Goldthwaite's 2013 flick Willow Creek had a whole "forest bride" subplot

this one is interesting; my read is that the bigfoots (bigfeet?) are the manifestation of the female lead's fear that her husband will absorb the toxicity of the subculture and 'go native,' becoming abusive and reducing her to a battered and dehumanized object

Hodgepodge has a new favorite as of 05:07 on Mar 9, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

There are really a lot of Sasquatch abduction tales, going back to at least 1840.

For example, there's the abduction of 'Muchalat Harry' in 1928. In the story, related thirdhand, Harry was kidnapped by a Sasquatch man and dropped off in a camp of 20-odd Sasquatch people - who (as is actually kinda typical for these stories) did little but stare at him until they got bored and he ran off. As in your example, Harry supposedly saw piles of bones in the camp, and was driven somewhat mad by the experience.

abducted and subjected to the gaze of the other

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Brand new cryptids, fresh outta the oven and piping hot! Here's some weird ape creatures from the tiny 56 sq mi Brazilian island of Itaparica, photographed just a few days ago

Article: https://vozdabahia.com.br/vera-cruz-boato-de-criatura-estranha-assusta-moradores-de-itaparica/
Google translate version of article: https://translate.google.com/transl...s-de-itaparica/

Looks like a super obvious fake to me:
Whoever photoshopped the two images copy/pasted the same monkey/gibbon into both images

The 'baby' also seems to be a shrunk down copy/paste as well, but it's such an indistinct blobsquatch it's hard to tell which larger one it's copied from

apes, in brazil?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildlife_of_Brazil posted:

Brazil has the highest diversity of primates (78species) and freshwater fish (over 3000 species) of any country in the world.

impossible!

this must be some special subgenre of prank where the authors attempt to convince you that more or less accurate identification of normal animal in its normal environment is a evidence of a cryptid

Hodgepodge has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Mar 11, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

South America only has new world monkeys (the largest of which is the Guatemalan black howler which maxes out at 25lb) and doesn't have any apes. The apes in the photos looks like gibbons, which are from SE Asia.

so it seems, but plenty reach the height of 3 or so feet, which doesnt seem out of line with the photos.

take, say, a spider monkey. those photos could easily be one of these cute fellas with some spooky mystery added by not bothering to try for a good clear shot:

except the lack of tail I suppose; not sure if any sa species lack tails

Hodgepodge has a new favorite as of 01:30 on Mar 12, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
huh, it turns out that tails are a common feature of all new world monkies, and that hoaxes passing off manipulated photos of spider monkeys as south american apes is a cryptozoological tradition:

https://cryptidz.fandom.com/wiki/Dey_Loy%27s_Ape

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Even with Slenderman, a good chunk of the lore and imagery in Marble Hornets is derived from the somewhat obscure, x-filesy movie Suspect Zero.

you'd more or less have to draw on something else to integrate slenderman into a proper narrative. there was some collective storytelling in the original thread, but it's still goons. beyond a photoshop, the best you're going to get a terrifying wiki, or maybe a deadly attempt at making a zipline or some dangerous home remodeling.

e: or possibly a war resulting in zero deaths and triple digits of labour-value equivalent in USD economic damage, in EVEonline

Hodgepodge has a new favorite as of 08:09 on Mar 13, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

The origins of cryptids are always a weird combination of hoax, misidentification of 'natural' phenomena, and conflation of pop fiction with reality. I'd argue that you need all three for things to really take off.

cryptids are almost like clowns, which unfortunately are all too real

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Similar to Slenderman, there was a guy on Reddit a few years back (around the time Firewatch was released) who posted a bunch of tales from his time as a Search/Rescue Officer for the Forest Service in the US. They didn't go quite as viral, but loads of kook sites picked up on his tales about mysterious staircases deep in the forest and started reporting it as if this had been around for a long time, instead of some poo poo one guy made up.

It's very creepypasta and probably TL;DR but he tells them well, with a nice mix of cryptids and weird phenomena. I remember enjoying them a lot at the time:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3iex1h/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/

/nosleep is basically gbs ghost story threads: the subreddit, and the only good thing about reddit

e: i was going to post one of the best stories offhand, Spire in the Woods, but it looks like amblim entertainment picked it up for development, so now i cant show you why you should be excited to watch a movie or show based on it

i'd tell copyright lobbys to eat poo poo™ but they'll have to pay me first

Hodgepodge has a new favorite as of 18:14 on Mar 26, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
okay, thought of another nosleep classic, maybe not quite as good as Spire in the Woods:

Has Anyone Heard of the Left/Right Game?

another solid one is Borrasca.

the author of this one has at least one other well known series, but for spider lovers i have selected In a land of weeping corpses.

Hodgepodge has a new favorite as of 01:54 on Mar 27, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
there's a lot of that there, for a pretty wide range of reasons. i don't think they tolerate anything that seems fetishistic in itself, though. the problem (besides being a public place for often immature horror writers) being that while there is, for example, a rule that the horror can't be mental illness in too exploitative a manner... sometimes the monster really is child abuse.

that said, on various levels, i prefer there to be a focus on a metaphorical aspect, and some thoughtfulness and a non-exploitative take on a subject like that is necessary to get past several of my many red flags from back when i was working graveyard shift at a convenience store and read, well, a lot of nosleep... and to be honest those standards could be pretty low overall on a slow night

i won't link it, but i think Tommy Taffy stands on merit, but oh boy does it use surrealism to hammer home the horror of abusive household

a few years back, Dopabeane did a take on the subject i liked, with the focus on the experiences of children whose siblings vanish into the failures of the social work system, and a supernatural cult worshiping beings which feed upon the suffering of children as the metaphor:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/8jsd6s/has_anyone_ever_heard_of_phantom_social_workers/

it's an informal interlinked series, so if it's in your wheelhouse you might have to check her submitted stories from around the same time and look for similar themes

also, there was one story which evidently got those weird disney spam videos that flooded YouTube for awhile banned in China. actually iirc it was the author of that spider story i linked above.

Hodgepodge has a new favorite as of 06:41 on Mar 27, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
i just remembered that this is the site which introduced me to, and occasionally refreshed my memory of, the existence of that one weird power rangers torture fic. we've changed a lot, but not so much that i shouldn't just link tommy taffy.

NSWF :nms: this is a story which i just praised for how it "use[s] surrealism to hammer home the horror of abusive household." it's a story about violent and sexual spousal and child abuse. in terms of pure abstract "no" it's probably about as "nope" as that power rangers fic i mentioned. this is a trigger warning for a pair of loaded links: Third Parent and His Name Was Tommy Taffy. :nms: NSFW

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Carnotaurus posted:

I regret reading Borrasca. Cutting out an ingrown toe-nail would have been a more pleasant and productive use of my time. gently caress you for linking it.

i will admit i probably should have added some sort of warning tag to it

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Otteration posted:

Have been watching "Paranormal Caught on Camera" occasionally on the "Travel" channel (somehow morphed into the paranormal/cryptid channel).

Probably not a new idea, but if one is an oil prospector, your job is to find oil. Actual oil. If you don't find actual, real oil, you starve to death or find a different job.

If your job is "Paranormal Investigator" though, your camera, made-up led thingy, and your computer are your oysters. Lord have mercy, how much do YouTube ads pay these days?

ones job is to locate and unleash the sleeping essence of the dead to destroy the world

the other makes up spooky stories

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Log082 posted:

Part of why people buy into the stairs in the woods thing is also that it's posted on a reddit specifically for spooky fiction... that, as part of its board culture, pretends to treat everything like they're real stories.

So even if you find the original source, all of the comments are "That's so crazy! I saw stairs in the woods once and they felt creepy, I'm glad I didn't try climbing them!" and so on.

Yeah, it's an actual rule that comments keep with kayfabe.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Captain Hygiene posted:

I need to know more about this one :stwoon:

Tamil version of Twilight looks way better on poster

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i think i played guilty gear x one time and i'm extremely unfamiliar with this very anime video game series, but their new character is an extremely american cryptid hunter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeTYR57hB44

i like japan's version of america more than the real deal

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I want to believe the video game indigo prophecy is based on a misreading of a MTV cartoon fanfic

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

stereobreadsticks posted:

I don't know why but I really hate attempts to connect bigfoot and yetis with aliens. Like, I get that it's not really any more ridiculous than anything else about either topic but something just rubs me the wrong way about combining the two.

yeah. like earth is clearly just an optional stop along part of their 4+N dimensional migratory territory, get with it.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

nonathlon posted:

It's odd in the UK, that the whole mystery "are there big cats prowling the countryside?" is not really a mystery. Exotic cats have been caught, it's more a question of individual sightings.

Likewise there are apparently kangaroos on the loose in scotland and elsewhere in the world.

Rare encounter: Terrain: Scotland. 1d4 4HD kangaroos.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

It's a bug running across the camera's lens

no wonder they're so elusive... they can change their size@!!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Captain Jesus posted:

As a Krampus survivor, I can tell you that your parents inviting a demon to your house which may or may not take you to hell, is loving terrifying for a child.

if you think about it, this is technically satanic ritual abuse

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

uber_stoat posted:

as if the Mothman is comprised of something so primitive as DNA.

mothman is borne of the intersection of car travel at night with headlights, the human mind, and barn owls being creepy af. it needs no base "dna."

e: as scientific understanding of avian intelligence increases, it becomes clear that the gap in intelligence between these and ourselves may be much, much smaller than previously believed. Primate levels of neurons in the forebrain, with in some respects a higher efficiency than our own (okay in crows but still):

Hodgepodge has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Nov 9, 2021

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If Owls weren't real they would definitely be cryprtids.

Look at those little freaks, they're more ghost than bird! I love them.

An owl shows up on the power wires from the driveway to my place to the house once in awhile. An owl also once landed in my mother's yard and let my son walk up and pet it. My mom took me to bird sanctuaries as a kid to see the eagles and such being cared for though, so that may have been a matter of experienced supervision.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

FreudianSlippers posted:

I've read some old British books where they claim that the Irish are actually Phoenicians and/or Scythians that swept in from the Orient and massacred the native Britons and took over.

Additionally the Irish are obviously moon worshipping pagans in addition to being heretical papists and the fact that many of them were pastoralists meant that they weren't really using the land properly anyway.

Granted, those probably would be the same books that claim Britain was founded by refugees from the Trojan War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

The_Doctor posted:

New cryptid dropped.

he just wants directions to the Feast