Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Weld the diff. I’ve heard FWD + welded diff = best off-road minivan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

Yes, there is: https://www.jonbondperformance.com/product/97-00-toyota-camry-3-0l-supercharger-remanufacture-rebuild/

Toyota Camry, Sienna, Solara 3.0L MP62 Supercharger Remanufacture / Rebuild

$825.00
I was about to say that’s the cheapest supercharger I’ve ever seen, but that’s for a rebuild service on a supercharger you send them.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Looks like a riff off of "rolled my own crypto"

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ryanrs posted:

I figure if I can get it put back together by the end of the week, I should be able to remember where most of the screws and wires go.
If it’s anything like my experiences, you’ll get it back together regardless of time.

But it’s always going to rattle now.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I much prefer the look / brightness of LED, and there's a number of good brands out there. My go-to (on a meatpimp recommendation) for external lights is Sylvania ZEVO, but I'm not sure if they'll make whatever interior bulbs you need. Top reviewed items on amazon have usually served me well, too.

I'm also a fan of converting everything possible to red lights, to preserve night vision, but *shrug*

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ryanrs posted:

Lemme see if I can make something cool out of plastic instead.
I don’t think this is a good idea. Steel should be a lot cheaper than alu, but plastic definitely isn’t strong enough.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I think it needs to keep your [cooler/dog/nephew/addition to rock collection/come-along] from sliding forward and activating them under panic braking/while doing anything except wheeling, honestly. I’d want that lockout pin to be on the order of “you can kick it as hard as you want while you’re driving without it doing anything”. Is it overkill? Sure, by some metric, but think about the consequences if it goes wrong.

I doubt an OEM would make it out of plastic. Certainly a plastic covering, though.

For the quote you got - you might be overshooting how it should be made. You don’t need custom cut aluminum, you need $20 worth of metal cut/welded into about the right shape. Maybe try your fab shop or just a local welder. I’d offer if I was better at welding, but, uh, I’m not there yet. :q:

Raluek posted:

i feel like if you were a little less concerned with how it looks, you could get 90% of the way there with a chunk of flat metal of your choice, a hacksaw, drill, and file. then you can paint it for a couple bucks instead of having to pay an anodization lot fee
Yeah, that.

Honestly a fairly simple piece and some time with a grinder/paint can look really nice. And it doesn’t cost $850!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ryanrs posted:

That picture has a lot of lights! What light brands are good?

I imagine there is a range of quality, from garbage lights, through stupidly expensive lights. What brands should I look at? How much should I budget for not-poo poo ditch lights? And do I even need to spend money lighting up ditches?

The 1st gen Sienna's stock headlights are loving trash. But I've never felt like bad lights were slowing me down or inviting danger. I'm sure this is because I never drive offroad at night, ha ha.
I have $400 worth of rigid lights on the back of my Jeep, and $150 worth of ebay lights on the front.

Buy the eBay lights.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

If you paint the bumper, you can easily respray it after hitting someone’s car a rock.

And yeah, that price is high. Way high.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 15, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Ya I like this thread because you have big dreams and back it up, and quickly.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Ignore my cheap-rear end distractions, I love the project.
Hell yeah, and I can definitely respect wanting people paid fair wages.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ryanrs posted:

I've been thinking about this point you made. Powder coating might be a total disaster on the thin perforated metal radiator guard. That's gotta be stainless or galvanized, which is easy if you buy perforated metal sheet. But they can't cut their own out of mild steel on their cnc plasma cutter and then powder coat it. That approach probably won't work well.
Can they do louvers? You need louvers.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ryanrs posted:

Agreed. But I know they love their cnc plasma cutter and they have acres of thin sheet metal on hand for templates and test fits, so I think I'd better mention it.
Seriously, consider louvers. You can get decent airflow and decent protection together, and they look cool:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ryanrs posted:

I notice your louvered surface is perpendicular to the airflow. Since my front bumper will overhang the radiator, the louvers should open upwards, I think? Will that still look cool?
I'll preface with: I defer hard to kastein/csb here, they know more about stuff like this than I do, but: I've been thinking about how I'd do this on that bumper, and yeah, I'd have them open up and out - basically, how mine would look if the hood were tilted forward/image rotated 90° counter-clockwise. Especially with the slope of the panel, that should be plenty open to airflow, and it will block the most crap coming up off the ground. And hell yes, it'll look cool.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That’s the original hood formed with a louver press. You can cut them, also, but they don’t look as good.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Hahahahahahahaha I cannot express how amazing this is. Good job, dude!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ryanrs posted:

Light 4 will be a reversing light that is hardwired to always on mode.
Will this be wired to switch on when you go to reverse?

I am a huge fan of having done that, and I can honestly say ... I have rarely ever chosen to turn them off. (Mine is wired to a 3 way, ON, ON (in reverse), and OFF.) I think it's only been if I was backing into something guided and didn't want to blind the spotter. Other than that ... gently caress it, it's good to be visible, and being able to see where you're backing up is always good.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Hmmmm. I … want to know more. Also those photos are so early 2000s. :v:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

everdave posted:

I had a US Land Cruiser with those stupid toggle switches but the covers switches them off or on whatever when closed who knows it was an electrical nightmare. But unless the point is the cover means off don’t
That is the point. Or, I mean, part of the point - the cover keeps them from being flipped unintentionally, and also serves as an easy visual indicator, as well as deactivation.

Those switches are cool as hell.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Oh man, I feel guilty before I even suggest this, but since it's for off-road anyway ... maybe kill the brake pedal switch?

Bonus credit for resetting it at power-off (or above a certain speed) and for routing it via separate wires to the brake lights.

I think it'd work. I mean, I'm not 100% sure, but if it's non-TC, it shouldn't trigger ABS without detecting the pedal pressed.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Honestly, sending anything is a kindness, and if you're really worried about it, talk to the manager and tell 'em you want to pay for lunch or something. Let them pick and send you the bill? (This can be a risky move monetarily, obvs, so be ready for that.)

Also, don't let boomers make you doubt yourself, most people will appreciate having some snacks. Every time someone has ever brought even stuff I'm not really into to a workplace as a token of appreciation, I've appreciated it, and I arguably have more dietary limitations that most.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ryanrs posted:

This is what the subaru guy used: Superwinch Terra 45 SR ATV Winch

I think it's barely big enough? Van prob weighs 4,500-ish with some cargo in it.
Generally, you need a winch that's pretty far overrated against the weight of the vehicle - quick googling suggests at least 30%, and probably 50%.

I believe: it takes a lot more power to overcome inertia and get it moving than it does to keep it moving (slowly), you can easily run into situations where a rock or a sand pit increase the power required, and anything where you're pulling uphill is going to make it harder too.

Subaru guy might be getting away with it, but I wouldn't count on it working.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Dang, I must be really cool. I don’t have a winch of any kind :v:

“Oh, that? I’ll just drive out of it.”

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Just to throw it out there: you can find “flush mount led” (use that search term) on eBay for cheap. They won’t be Baja designs, but they’ll be more than adequate and like $30.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I’d seal with gasket maker / silicone, yeah, but getting it sealed shouldn’t be difficult as long as you mount it on a flat surface. Any curves or whatever will make sealing it harder.

I cut a hole right in the middle of my roof to mount an antenna, sealed with a ring of silicone, and have not had the slightest leak in the last 6 years.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I think for something like this, it’s pretty much all the same. I put a super off brand windshield in my Jeep a few years ago and cannot discern any difference.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nope, can't see any downside to that plan. :v:

It seems like there's at least one, possibly two really good mount points to build something - either 3D print or some pretty simple metal work to create cupholders behind the handles. On the exhaust pipe tip shared above, the real trick is to grab a terrible exhaust tip at the junkyard. Hell, if you find the right one, it's basically custom fit for those 64oz mega drinks from 7-11.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Is … is that mounted to a piece of diamond plate tek-screwed to the body?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I like these because they're metal bodied cameras that can be installed pretty subtly.

Here's what the video looks like on a Pioneer headunit:
They're pretty much all "webcam resolution but with maybe better low light performance, maybe" - I haven't noticed any difference across the (three?) cheap brands I've tried.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

ryanrs posted:

OK, so the screens are sold separately?

Possibly relevant: I use an iphone, and it is way more annoying connecting to my 2018 Mazda 3 over bluetooth than the minivan over a cassette adapter. Maybe it's just the Mazda headunit being dumb, or maybe I'm an old person, but the interactions between the Mazda headunit and the iphone are so loving stupid and annoying. If all iphone-compatible screens are that bad, I don't want one.

e: Wait, are the screens separate from audio these days, or are they combined? I haven't actually looked at car audio at all since the 90s. But I don't have any desire to change the van's audio situation. I just want a backup camera.
You can also do screens separate from headunit. I think cursedshitbox used an over-mirror type like this (but almost assuredly not that one) and seemed happy with it on the donkey. I'd probably at least think about that to avoid having more screens, but there are also monitor+camera combos which can be mounted elsewhere, like this. I'd probably just grab whatever result has the best reviews at the pricepoint you're comfortable with.

I can say that I tried a wireless to phone dashcam (FenSens, I think?) and it was traaaaash - like, the connection was way too laggy to be at all useful. Highly recommend hardwired whatever you do.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 10, 2023

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm not sure if I find your offroad adventures or your (especially welding) fabrication adventures more fascinating, but I hope you're still having them and that you post about them again.