Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jenny Agutter posted:

an extremely cool feature of google earth was the ability to pull a GPS track off a Garmin device and import it straight in so you could see your little hike on the terrain. Google's abandonment of their sort of maximalist approach to design has been really sad, every service you can watch good useful features just drop away for seemingly no reason

i open google earth now and it's just WHOOPS SORRY with a big pixelated image of america zoomed out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i still get a kick out of the google earth vr app where you get to fly

also i think it’s pretty funny how google maps basically destroyed the overpriced rural service of “here’s a picture of your house taken from a plane or helicopter”

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
lol. forgot about those.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
whenever i think of those vanity pictures it’s always a picture of someone’s boring rear end ranch house sitting on a quarter acre that some farmer carved out of their cornfield

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

whenever i think of those vanity pictures it’s always a picture of someone’s boring rear end ranch house sitting on a quarter acre that some farmer carved out of their cornfield

that’s maybe accurate. but we’d get ads mailed to us every year and i lived in the hills

our neighbour a half mile up the road had one and was very proud of it lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i grew up in southern michigan where that scenario is very common

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

SO DEMANDING posted:

bing maps is good for their birdseye view (photos taken from low flying airplanes), something which google maps used to have but then ditched in favor of their gloopy dogshit looking 3D crap (though sometimes I've seen embedded gmaps things that still have it, old api version or some poo poo?)

if your computer is lovely enough you get that version

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

an extremely cool feature of google earth was the ability to pull a GPS track off a Garmin device and import it straight in so you could see your little hike on the terrain. Google's abandonment of their sort of maximalist approach to design has been really sad, every service you can watch good useful features just drop away for seemingly no reason

it seems like there's been an industry-wide trend the last few years of eliminating features and options, seemingly in an attempt to ape apple's "minimalist" design. i miss the days where if software wasn't working the way you wanted there was some option buried in the preferences that would fix it

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

HappyHippo posted:

it seems like there's been an industry-wide trend the last few years of eliminating features and options, seemingly in an attempt to ape apple's "minimalist" design. i miss the days where if software wasn't working the way you wanted there was some option buried in the preferences that would fix it

now that most "settings" interfaces have basic semantic search (e.g. you can search for "wallpaper" in macos and it brings you to the right setting), i think software could do this better than it was in 1996. bring back a little complexity in software

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

HappyHippo posted:

i scratch this itch by having to deal with enterprise software at work, op

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

My favorite part of Google search is how you can add "-" to filter your search but then it just adds those terms to the advertising results. So if you add -"funko pop" to an image search the first thing you will see is a row of ads for funko pops.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

what are funko pops?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

what are funko pops?

not much what's up with you pops?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Komojo posted:

My favorite part of Google search is how you can add "-" to filter your search but then it just adds those terms to the advertising results. So if you add -"funko pop" to an image search the first thing you will see is a row of ads for funko pops.

nice self-own admitting that you see ads

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
hate how multiple options are now compressed into a single option so it's just a big take it or leave it with no granularity

microsoft is the worst for this but google and apple aren't far behind

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
is there any stupid open source project where I can build my own search engine? one that I just add a list of sites I like or a blog I once read or cool YouTube channels too and it will periodically crawl them and I can search for stuff I vaguely remember without any seo / nazi bullshit showing up?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

vodkat posted:

is there any stupid open source project where I can build my own search engine? one that I just add a list of sites I like or a blog I once read or cool YouTube channels too and it will periodically crawl them and I can search for stuff I vaguely remember without any seo / nazi bullshit showing up?

this is called rss

but there are plenty of tutorials on writing your own web crawlers too

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

what are funko pops?

turn ur monitor off

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i thought they were a brand of sucker until i googled and realized that they're those dolls that all look identical and nerds love to plaster their desks with

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

beaten to death many times already, but funko pops continue to amaze with just how *lazy* they all look. like amiibo are about equally dumb but each one looks like 10x more effort expended.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I typed 'rear end" into google search and so far my disappointment is immeasurable.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Some ask jeeves level poo poo

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
rear end jeeves

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

mediaphage posted:

this is called rss

but there are plenty of tutorials on writing your own web crawlers too

not really tho as rss isn’t going to capture some blog post from 5 years ago and I can already write a web crawler. kinda want an off the shelf type deal that runs a local host webpage with easy functionality.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

what are funko pops?

beanie babies v2

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

vodkat posted:

not really tho as rss isn’t going to capture some blog post from 5 years ago and I can already write a web crawler. kinda want an off the shelf type deal that runs a local host webpage with easy functionality.

some places will have rss feeds going back to the beginning, and it's a good thing to have going forward but i get your point. the last time i looked into this there really isn't anything that's good without a fair bit of effort for you to put into it.

there's searx, which does meta stuff: https://github.com/searx/searx

and yacy, which might be more what you want. it's probably more useful in its p2p/distributed modes but i assume that's something you can configure optionally: https://yacy.net

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sweevo posted:

beanie babies v2

in the beforetimes i walked to the grocery store one day and saw a minivan with like 30 beanie babies stuffed up in the crevices of the windshield

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

all dusty and sun faded and whatnot?

oooh, bonus points for nicotine stains.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

President Beep posted:

all dusty and sun faded and whatnot?

oooh, bonus points for nicotine stains.

tbh they all looked new???

i think the kind of person who still has those probably has a collection of hundreds kept in rubbermaid boxes with moisture absorbers and rotates them out seasonally

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Komojo posted:

but why are you seeing ads?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

President Beep posted:

turn ur monitor off

:aaaaa:

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

HappyHippo posted:

The reality is that was software that was over developed with hidden untested and undocumented features. Took too long to reach market and cost more than it should have to develop.

It’s also the idea of whether a developers time should be of value, ie like a service, rather than a product. It is usually preferable to have a faster moving product than slower, break-everything drops. Of course there are many who believe in the exact opposite.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Wild EEPROM posted:

hate how multiple options are now compressed into a single option so it's just a big take it or leave it with no granularity

microsoft is the worst for this but google and apple aren't far behind

wait, you're saying microsoft is worse than apple at providing granular options? did you get this backwards?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

in 2020 2/3 of all google searches resulted in no clicks on results:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

mediaphage posted:

in 2020 2/3 of all google searches resulted in no clicks on results:

i think this is more because goog has been moving more and more content into the search results page itself, not because search gives bad results.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rotor posted:

i think this is more because goog has been moving more and more content into the search results page itself, not because search gives bad results.

i think it's a combination of things, but i wasn't necessarily suggesting one thing or the other with it. i do think an issue it shows is that google is basically profiting off of the work of content producers who often won't get click through traffic as a result

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

mediaphage posted:

i do think an issue it shows is that google is basically profiting off of the work of content producers who often won't get click through traffic as a result

it absolutely shows this, esp wrt wikipedia

salisbury shake
Dec 27, 2011
google promotes blog spam in their search results bc they're filled with adsense ads hth

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
it's both. if google found the thing you wanted they display it on the search page directly, and if they didn't they just show a giant wall of spam. in neither case is it useful to click on any of the links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

thankyou