Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

rotor posted:

it absolutely shows this, esp wrt wikipedia

and then add AMP to the mix too and even the organic ctr is more and more likely owned by google too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

El Mero Mero posted:

and then add AMP to the mix too and even the organic ctr is more and more likely owned by google too

uggghvfucking amp

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
our website is so laden with cruft and third party scripts and ads and tracking scripts and social media integration and auto-playing videos that no one asked for, now it's loading too slow

solution: amp

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

mediaphage posted:

in 2020 2/3 of all google searches resulted in no clicks on results:

I'm feeling lucky!

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Plorkyeran posted:

it's both. if google found the thing you wanted they display it on the search page directly, and if they didn't they just show a giant wall of spam. in neither case is it useful to click on any of the links.

you also gotta take into account the millions of users who wind up in a google search because they fat-fingered a url in the address bar

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

DaTroof posted:

you also gotta take into account the millions of users who wind up in a google search because they fat-fingered a url in the address bar

frankly idve thought that offset somewhat by all the people who just google and click instead of typing in a url

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

[i assume] porthub.com is a completely different website

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

[i assume] porthub.com is a completely different website

Tight Harbour DESTROYED By Big Black Dock

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sweevo posted:

Tight Harbour DESTROYED By Big Black Dock

more like tight canal clogged by big boat

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I will say that modern Google search is a font of unintentional comedy when you search for places or establishments.

The q/a sections always own.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Animal Friend posted:

I will say that modern Google search is a font of unintentional comedy when you search for places or establishments.

The q/a sections always own.

the q and a sections on amazon are equally ridiculous. amazon will just send an email out to everyone who buys an item if someone asks a question about it leading to all sorts of responses (which may just be email relies that auto post), some of which are just people demanding to know why they’re being asked

relatedly i’ve been buying all my peanut butter on amazon lately. i only buy the natural kind with salt because both things make it taste way better. people are equal parts terrified and enraged to get it and find a layer of oil on top. someone was mystified as to how their peanut butter had “melted” even though it shipped in the winter

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Q: Can I use this widget in this configuration given this variable? This web resource I found suggests yes, but the actual product specification sheet indicates otherwise.

A: i dont kno

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

President Beep posted:

Q: Can I use this widget in this configuration given this variable? This web resource I found suggests yes, but the actual product specification sheet indicates otherwise.

A: i dont kno

this is my all time favorite right behind people who give products a 4 star review because, despite breaking the first time they were used, they were packed well and got there fast.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I like the one star reviews from people who ordered the wrong thing and thus received something they didn't want

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i like how sellers will cheat by pumping & dumping an impossible-to-gently caress-up item like a can opener then pivot the SKU to a high profit junk item and ride the 5 star review train until the negatives catch up, then dump the sku

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like the one star reviews from people who bought something and are mad because they don't know how it works or are using it wrong.

one time i was looking for a little liquid-filled compass like this to stick on my dashboard

it shows your heading by the number that's facing you. in the image it is indicating about 8 degrees east of south. the number of people in the reviews who didn't understand this and were furious that THE NORTH SIDE POINTS SOUTH was staggering

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

my favorite feature of google maps is zooming in and all the street names disappearing

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

rotor posted:

this is my all time favorite right behind people who give products a 4 star review because, despite breaking the first time they were used, they were packed well and got there fast.

yeah these people were probably paid to give it a good review
i read an article about someone who does fake reviews. the people paying for the review didn't actually care what she wrote, so long as it was a 5 star review. so she'd leave an honest review but always with 5 stars.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I knew someone who retired and just does product reviews now. Once your name/address are in the pool folks just send you free products to review endlessly. He gets like 40 packages a day of garbage to test/review and it sounded like a nightmare to me.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i did a free review for wireless earbuds that said to give whatever but all the example graphics showed five stars :rolleyes:

they were actually not bad for $30 but i can't imagine doing more than one of those a quarter, i almost never review things i buy let alone some amazon junk

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
yes op, I have noticed searching for netfilter documentation has gotten tougher lately.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I was just trying to remember what the insignia for a cult looked like. Now I want to go to the zoo.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
searching for a circuit design thing, using the word "io" (input/output)

google is helpfully matching against pages containing "10"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
google has decided for me that “highest” is a synonym for “tallest”, so when I search for “tallest nobel prize winner”, I get results for the countries with the most winners per capita

also the “best” nobel winners, because that’s totally the same thing, right?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i searched for xxx tony hawk the other day and it got what i wanted. looks like google has made a few steps forward.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

echi is that an alt?

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

hifi posted:

i searched for xxx tony hawk the other day and it got what i wanted. looks like google has made a few steps forward.

Were you thinking of BMX XXX ?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

it turns out tony hawk had a cameo role in the movie xxx featuring vin diesel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKjZdyIhlrU&t=156s

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

hifi posted:

it turns out tony hawk had a cameo role in the movie xxx featuring vin diesel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKjZdyIhlrU&t=156s

lol. that looks like a tv show.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Platystemon posted:

google has decided for me that “highest” is a synonym for “tallest”, so when I search for “tallest nobel prize winner”, I get results for the countries with the most winners per capita

also the “best” nobel winners, because that’s totally the same thing, right?

i find this infuriating. like i know what i am searching for stop deciding it for me especially when your synonyms are just flat out wrong (i’ve mentioned this before but to this day the one that really grinds my gears is equating median and mean).

what’s worse is that sometimes they ignore the quotes

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i hate how ebay items are allowed to show up in google, even though every single one of them is for an item that sold 3 years ago and redirects to the ebay front page

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

don't use Google products. hth

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Animal Friend posted:

Were you thinking of BMX XXX ?

i didn't play the first 29 so i didn't really understand plot

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Bloody posted:

don't use Google products. hth

imagine letting google read all your emails so they can advertise to you

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sweevo posted:

i hate how ebay items are allowed to show up in google, even though every single one of them is for an item that sold 3 years ago and redirects to the ebay front page

this one is actually useful to me sometimes when I’m looking for information on obscure equipment and it’s in the google index/cache, but they get me on the other side of this by aggressively pruning stuff I want from the cache the moment the link rots. and of course the wayback machine’s spiders are much slower than google’s and never caught it in the first place

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sweevo posted:

i hate how

woah, lets not say anything we cant take back

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fart simpson posted:

woah, lets not say anything we cant take back

dude have you seen hows posting? we all hate how

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

LastInLine posted:

dude have you seen hows posting? we all hate how

:mods:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

um, incredibly hosed up, imho. very worrisome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

beep

buddy

turn your monitor on