Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

It's insanely good if you know exactly what you're looking for but not the URL or name. It also still works okay for searching other conversations on forums.

For anything else discovery related or more interesting it's mostly garbage now because of ads and because google's been aggressively trying to refine the platform around the first three results and customized results for your profile for like a decade.

SEO placement agencies work to fill the top three-five and buy the top and side ads along those results, meaning they sometimes get listed 5 times on one page. If it's a result that cross-posts youtube or google store content you might even get lucky and get 10 ad slots in above the results!

I've often found page two-three google to be generally a better quality set of results because there's so much less fucky-wucky bullshit being applied to those results and their order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I will say that they've gotten so good at rapidly delivering generic and general results whose answer I already know that we're at a moment where it can be faster to search a partial url and click on the first result than it is to type the full url that you knew the whole time.

Basically they've managed to reimagine the web in the way that accommodates the old people who used to go to google and type "yahoo.com" into the search bar.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

rotor posted:

it absolutely shows this, esp wrt wikipedia

and then add AMP to the mix too and even the organic ctr is more and more likely owned by google too

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I knew someone who retired and just does product reviews now. Once your name/address are in the pool folks just send you free products to review endlessly. He gets like 40 packages a day of garbage to test/review and it sounded like a nightmare to me.