Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Hey, buddy. Want to raise tabletop roleplaying game class consciousness? Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit.

What's itch.io?

itch.io posted:

itch.io is an open marketplace for independent digital creators with a focus on independent video games. It’s a platform that enables anyone to sell the content they've created. As a seller you’re in charge of how it’s done: you set the price, you run sales, and you design your pages. It’s never necessary to get votes, likes, or follows to get your content approved, and you can make changes to how you distribute your work as frequently as you like.

itch.io is also a collection of some of the most unique, interesting, and independent creations you'll find on the web. We're not your typical digital storefront, with a wide range of both paid and free content, we encourage you to look around and see what you find.
Also, notably, they take (much?) less of a share from the creator than DriveThruRPG. However, they do not offer print on demand. (Because how would you print a video game?)

Are you in the wrong subforum? This is clearly a website for video games.
Wait, come back. Just scroll down that left column, and click on Physical Games. Welcome to indie RPG nirvana. You can find free RPGs, you can find cheap RPGs, you can even find more expensive RPGs. The offerings range from well known designers such as the Bakers, John Harper, Bully Pulpit, to many unknowns with great games, and goons sell games there too!

This is great, and nothing can possibli go wrong!
That's right, now let me take a big swig of water and hold it in my mouth for fifteen minutes while I watch this Dan Olsen video.

What (nongoon/nonfamous designer games) are hot on itch.io right now?*
*Not guaranteed to stay updated

May I interest you in a micro game by Grant Howitt?
A deconstruction of Traveller called What's So Cool About Outer Space and related games?
Or a genre spanning SciFi toolkit and related games

You can also find a lot of supporting content for systems such as Belonging Outside Belonging/No Dice, No Masters, Trophy, or MÖRK BORG.

What should I post in this thread?
Post about new games that you find that are interesting and what they are like.
Also post if you are releasing a roleplaying game or product on itch.io yourself and want to promote it. (But you should probably promote your game in other threads too.)
Also tell me more about how to get around itch.io, find good games, and hear about about game jams, so I can add that stuff to the OP.

Help! I need assistance designing and marketing my game on itch.io.
Here is a great thread for just that! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3909179

(Coming Soon)
:siren:Goon Game List:siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Oh, I just stumbled on an actual kickstarter crowdfunding style campaign. I wasn't aware you could do things in this format on itch.io.

https://adamebell.itch.io/reliance-revolution-and-contradiction