Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Nobody will yell at you for saying the raiders are bad. ive been saying they are bad now for decades. even when they are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Joe Tapine is pretty good

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Manly have problems and its mostly down to Des imo. He has responded poorly to the new rules. They will still no doubt beat the Raiders but they look in rough shape as we speak right now. They have been known to turn things around though. trbojevic isnt out for too long right ?

The broncos looked way better against the Eels.

The cowboys looked legit terrible against the Panthers and I think they put in the worst performance of the round. They didnt even look like scoring.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Really good game last night. I am still chuckling at Olam not passing to JAC.

That said it was probably an obstruction so it should be moot

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

It was just bad luck combined with the warriors putting in

Once we had Scott defending with a broken rib and Havili gassed as poo poo defending in the back row (He is normally a middle third player) we were in huge trouble

That said we are way too slow. Raps has been a great servant, still makes great yardage but his finishing is average at best now.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Its pretty funny going through some of the incompetency from the various teams. Needing to pay the value of a players contract can cause some wacky situations like the Roosters and the Raiders both chipping in for Todd Payten to play for the tigers.

This one though

2017 - CEO Justin Pascoe tells young gun fullback Ryan Papenhuyzen that we are resigning James Tedesco. Papenhuyzen signs with Melbourne Storm, and weeks later Tedesco signs with the Roosters. He doesn't backflip this time. (Source: https://threader.app/thread/1171721362924138497)

Whoops

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Dang the raiders stink again

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Saul Goode posted:

What's happened to them? They've still got a decent roster haven't they?

Its a bunch of things.

1. Losing Beej and Bateman. Say what you will for Beej and the disaster of his run at the tigers at his best he was a gamebreaker. Sticky really doesn't have structure he just hopes someone does something. Bateman and Joey were the most likely in the side even if they also played like utter lunatics.

2. The centres aren't performing and they are paid way too much. Croker has been a proud servant for the club and at his peak was a pretty good centre. I wouldnt personally tie a lot of money up in centre. I think its the least important position in a proper run team (see point 1 we are not a proper run team). So Croker during the mid 10s was good enough to get the job done. However in 2021 he is simply getting monstered by larger outside backs. He is currently on 600k. I actually doubt any of the good sides spend what we do on centre even taking into account Crokers long serving player bonus (which could be spent on Jack and Papalii anyway). I estimate we are spending about 1.05 million dollars between Croker and Scott. Maybe the Roosters are spending that on Manu/Morris but there is no chance the Storm, Panthers, Rabbits, etc are putting that sort of scratch into centre. Oh yeah and Croker is signed up to the end of 2024

3. The wings aren't fast enough. We are an extremely slow side. The ideal NRL winger in 2021 is Brian To'o who is fast enough and breaks a bunch of tackles or JAC who is fast as hell and can still break tackles. We have two "power" wingers but Rapana is really aging badly and struggles to finish tries and Simonson is struggling. Rapana is still busting tackles but wingers have to finish tries.

4. Due to point 3 (how slow we are) the opposition can easily do two things: Put the wingers back early not fearing we can go around them and put the ball in behind our slow poke wingers. This has resulted in the Raiders losing kick return metres every week. The Raiders sets get off to a terrible start and the opposition get their sets off to a good one. It also does not help how poor Wighton and Williams kick long. I mean Wighton can kick a ball a long way but he has very little control over it. He kicks the ball out on the full a crazy amount.

5. The coach. Stick is an ok coach but he has huge flaws. He has never been able to coach attacking structure. He has always just jammed as many good players into the side as he could and been like now score some tries lads. He is stubborn to a silly degree. We lost games because he picked 2 hookers and 2 props on the bench. He uses the bench appallingly anyway. When physically imposing backrowers are carving up the comp he leaves CHN sitting in reserve grade.

There are probably other reasons. Papalii rocking up looking lethargic as hell after his boxing stint isnt helping but individually all the forwards are putting up good to great numbers. We just lack any attacking spark and without CNK at the back organising the defense we aren't good enough defensively either.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Saul Goode posted:

Wow, when you break it all down like that it sure is something. I hate Stuart but I really liked the roster he had built when you guys made the Grand Final, felt like that might have been the start of a decent run at the top instead of the constant yo-yo-ing, but it seems like that was the peak for that team huh. drat shame that GF turned out the way it did... loving Roosters.

So last night we had a fresh Sia on the bench until the 71st minute while guys like Sutton started to struggle in defense because he was gassed. I do not understand how he uses the bench. He is so loving stubborn that he refuses to react to the game. Its very weird.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Its minutes 40-60 where we really struggle. So I think its probably fitness combined with his rotation. Anyways footy is poo poo innit

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

bowmore posted:

Josh Papalii wasn't dropped, he needs a mental health break. Glad to see Canberra are a good club.

Papalii is a guy the coach has to really manage. Sticky has been largely pretty good at it. However, there are times when he struggles. He gains weight, he looks disinterested and he plays poorly. I think he came into the season with a bad mindset. It was a short off season for him because he played Origin and he did the dumb boxing match.

There are absolutely times where Papaliis mental health (his brother getting into legal trouble as an example) has impacted his game. I think the guy is our best player. He is probably the only current player who would crack the great team of the 90s but he needs to be well managed.

So I would probably take that at face value. I just hope he can get motivated because we need the guy badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

So the raiders are obviously really bad. I don't think we will win another game all year so hopefully the dogs are just that little worse.

People will have their own opinion on how much power players should have with contracts. So some folks will have more or less sympathy to George Williams but the reality is that the players believe that he is mentally struggling and he needed a break. So the club has played this completely wrong and pissed off all the players. Absolute scenes. Also, we will probably end up having to pay him out anyway so it was pointless too.

Being a small market side in one of the least desirable locations for young rich football players makes recruitment hard enough as is. The fact the club is run by a bunch of stupid hillbillies who do incredibly dumb things and have no risk of losing their jobs makes it much harder. They keep the club ticking over financially and that's all the NRL cares about.

True story but in the early 2000s the club interviewed to replace Mal Meninga and they hired Matthew Elliot. One of the coaches they rejected for Elliot was Craig Bellamy. We were really close to signing Bellamy too but the club just thought Elliot interviewed better.