Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
A friend has recommended motorcycle leggings with pockets for knee/hip pads that you can wear under most normal clothes. They’re a bit pricey but that’s due to being designed with much higher speeds/impacts in mind.

https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/pando-...ASABEgI96PD_BwE

I’ve fallen on the same hip three times in the space of six weeks now so am probably going to get some next payday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Banano posted:

A friend has recommended motorcycle leggings with pockets for knee/hip pads that you can wear under most normal clothes. They’re a bit pricey but that’s due to being designed with much higher speeds/impacts in mind.

https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/pando-...ASABEgI96PD_BwE

I’ve fallen on the same hip three times in the space of six weeks now so am probably going to get some next payday

Yeah "a bit pricey" is an understatement!

I've actually got a set of these: https://www.locoskates.com/collections/knee-pads/products/ennui-shock-sleeve-pro-knee-gaskets-pads?variant=16029404037163 (they were cheaper when I got then) but wasn't wearing them because they get so sweaty, plus they are just a bit bulky for wearing with trousers, so instead I just had a pair of triple 8 gaskets on and well, here I am with a busted knee. To be fair to them, I've fallen on the triple 8s before and been fine, but those were like 'catch a stone and flip' straight impacts whereas this was a slide/drag.

I think maybe I'll just get some looser trousers to wear over the ennui ones seeing as it's now getting to winter.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I have those ennui and I really want to like them but yeah... the padding's too soft for hard vertical impacts, and anything sliding they're going to grip and give you a big chunk of carpet burn at best. I just run hard pads all the time. Do those pants prevent the pad from sliding out of position? They make similar things for mountain biking but I don't know if those are any cheaper.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

4 weeks of no skating while my knee healed, then I got a cold, then I was busy and sick, and oh my god this used to be easy what's happened to me.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I rotated my 3x110s and first thing I did was run myself off the road into the grass and had a Skinner moment

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mauser posted:

I rotated my 3x110s and first thing I did was run myself off the road into the grass and had a Skinner moment

This is me every time I switch from 4x80 to 3x110. On the plus side going the other way is much better, except then I think maybe I didn't need the 3x110s in the first places

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

I almost exclusively use my 3x110s for exercise, doing laps as fast as I can around my park and the 4x80 for playing street hockey with a friend. The 110s feel way more stable at max speed on rough asphalt

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I’ve been surprised that my 3x110 doesn’t seem absolutely faster than my 4x90, but they keep speed up a lot better

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

I have extremely wide feet, are there any rollerskate/rollerblade brands that sell skates that I can actually wear?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

dupersaurus posted:

I’ve been surprised that my 3x110 doesn’t seem absolutely faster than my 4x90, but they keep speed up a lot better

I find gaining speed on them is a slog. When I switch to 4x80 I find I can accelerate way quicker. My technique on the 110s is poo poo though, I push out too far and waste power so feel like I'm not as fast as I should be.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

Strange Cares posted:

I have extremely wide feet, are there any rollerskate/rollerblade brands that sell skates that I can actually wear?

The FR brand line that starts with FR are listed as being for wide feet. For fancier shoes I take a wider than standard size and my FR1s fit me perfectly (after a couple weeks of breaking in)

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
In the aggressive world, Roces 5th elements are famously wide and roomy. Very flexible skates, though, so probably pretty lethal on 80mm+.

Hearing reports that the new Rollerblade Blanks are wide fitting too. More feasible for rec skating if there were no other options. Pretty heavy apparently. Could take the soul plates off to lighten them up.

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

Thanks! I'll ask for them at my local sports store.

Athanos
Sep 19, 2006
Wanted to get rollerblades for a while so I decided to get some in the new year and use the money work gives me for fitness stuff. Did some research and decided on some wizard skates since they are local and matched how I wanted to skate. They just got new stock and not knowing when they'd restock I pulled the trigger hoping work would allow me to expense them for next year... Thankfully they will!

I'm very impatient so the wait for them to ship is killing me. I am half temped to just shoot them an email saying I can just go pick them up rather than waiting and they can keep the postage fee.

Always wanted to take my bike travelling to get around the cities I visited but it seemed like a huge hassle, and extra expense, but with inlines you can carry on and aren't bulky so looking forward to travelling with them!

Athanos fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 3, 2021

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Athanos posted:

Wanted to get rollerblades for a while so I decided to get some in the new year and use the money work gives me for fitness stuff. Did some research and decided on some wizard skates since they are local and matched how I wanted to skate. They just got new stock and not knowing when they'd restock I pulled the trigger hoping work would allow me to expense them for next year... Thankfully they will!

I'm very impatient so the wait for them to ship is killing me. I am half temped to just shoot them an email saying I can just go pick them up rather than waiting and they can keep the postage fee.

Always wanted to take my bike travelling to get around the cities I visited but it seemed like a huge hassle, and extra expense, but with inlines you can carry on and aren't bulky so looking forward to travelling with them!

If youre near ShopTask theyre prob sitting there in the stock room, i bet you could pick em up anytime! But as a fellow wizard skate haver, mine came shipped w extra goodies (socks, stickers, a cute lil msg from leon) so if those things matter to you you may inquire when emailing and/or attempt to exercise patience (i say attempt bc i know how hard it is!)

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

how the hell do I get the confidence to skate around a city? my buddy can carve downhill on an uneven sidewalk but the second I start going downhill I freak out

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

go to a parking garage and practice going down an incline by doing half-circle turns back and forth; as you go make the turns tighter and feel how those tight turns help control your speed. eventually youll look very slalom-y but youll get the feel and then will start to get comfortable enough to try on more uneven ground like sidewalks etc

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

also always always always remember to bend your knees!!!

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I'm currently in the process of teaching myself how to urban skate after skating on level ground for about a year. It really is just repetition and practice to make it less scary. A hill that seemed ridiculously steep near my house is now very doable. I noticed that it was right outside my comfort zone so I spent a few days practicing going down it with as much control as I could. Now I'm able to skate past it and continue to another, more sketch area, which is my new practice area.

I figure eventually most of town will seem fine with some areas that are above my skill level. That's kind of the fun of it though, finding those spots and then conquering them.

However I definitely feel like I'm able to do this because I spent a while on level ground practicing my stops, backwards skate, and transitions until those felt smooth.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Also find a big but safe hill and go bomb down it a bunch until you're comfortable with going fast, that's a pretty big part of the equation, too

mystes
May 31, 2006

When you're talking about carving on a sidewalk are you talking about a wide concrete sidewalk? If it's like a 2 foot wide bumpy asphalt sidewalk down a hill I feel like it might be hard to carve down that.

E.g.: <- yeah probably
<- probably not

mystes fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 8, 2021

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

yeah, my park has a small street with a hill next to it so I've been practicing on that and I'm fine with the speed while going straight and I can do some wide carves as long as I start out carving, but I'm having a hard time going from already moving fast downhill and then switching to carving.

And yeah, my friend will fly down a hosed up concrete sidewalk that's two feet wide, so that's the dream one day.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think you can carve as anything between a series of parallel turns (where you're just rolling in zig-zaggy path without really applying edge) and an actual parallel slide but I think the faster you're going and the less room you have, the closer you need it to be to a parallel slide or you'll just get out of control.

I can't quite do a real parallel slide yet but my carving has gotten better by working on applying as much edge as possible. Also, if you're already doing something close to a parallel slide and just not quite actually sliding fully most of the time then it seems like you aren't really affected if you actually do end up sliding, which makes it more stable on uneven terrain.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 8, 2021

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

y'all may already be doing this but just in case, control on fast tight carves is really bolstered by letting your skates separate during the turn, so like if i'm turning sharp left, my left skate will be under me (on outside edge) and my right skate will be pretty far out, knee nearly straight, on inside edge...and my body is relatively low to the ground, like a weird sideways lunge... this way my left skate is supporting my weight, and my right skate is pushing against where my momentum wants to take me, bleeding speed/energy into the street... then go back and forth doin that (this is how i taught my wife to take big scary hills and she's p competent at it/comfortable with it, without having ~big inline skills~ of any sort)

it is really hard on a small sidewalk but you can still do it, you just have to do tons of microslalom turns and be really good about biting into your edges on each turn - but honestly by the time you can do that comfortably you'll likely have other tools/techs available to you to control your speed in that situation (plow braking mb)

another "just in case y'all aren't doing this" is scissor stance, esp when bombing hills and/or going on uneven pavement - get comfortable with scissoring both ways too (right forward/left back & left forward/right back) - the stability you get from scissor will really help you eat up those cracks and holes and etc in rough pavement/sidewalks

mystes
May 31, 2006

black.lion posted:

y'all may already be doing this but just in case, control on fast tight carves is really bolstered by letting your skates separate during the turn, so like if i'm turning sharp left, my left skate will be under me (on outside edge) and my right skate will be pretty far out, knee nearly straight, on inside edge...and my body is relatively low to the ground, like a weird sideways lunge... this way my left skate is supporting my weight, and my right skate is pushing against where my momentum wants to take me, bleeding speed/energy into the street... then go back and forth doin that (this is how i taught my wife to take big scary hills and she's p competent at it/comfortable with it, without having ~big inline skills~ of any sort
I could be wrong but I'm not sure this is actually desirable during carving because it means you can't use your outside edge properly?

I think while carving you should ideally try to work on getting it closer to a parallel slide where you're using both edges (or alternatively try to do a magic slide or something rather than carving)

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 8, 2021

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I think that's technically linked lunge turns isn't it? I like doing that because you can put force into that straighter, downhill leg and scrub off some speed that way, which means you don't have to turn as aggressively "uphill". You need a lot of space to do it though.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

mystes posted:

I could be wrong but I'm not sure this is actually desirable during carving because it means you can't use your outside edge properly?

I think while carving you should ideally try to work on getting it closer to a parallel slide where you're using both edges (or alternatively try to do a magic slide or something rather than carving)

Yeah I mean I agree with you in terms of wanting to progress to a parallel slide, or do sick carves, but if you are beginning and you want stability down a hill nah I'd suggest you give yourself the width of base you need to control your descent - you're right that it isn't the more efficient option, but it is the more accessible option

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I think that's technically linked lunge turns isn't it? I like doing that because you can put force into that straighter, downhill leg and scrub off some speed that way, which means you don't have to turn as aggressively "uphill". You need a lot of space to do it though.

That sounds like a good technical term for it! And yes you def need space to do it, but as you get better/more comfortable your skates can be closer, turns tighter (more like a parallel slide as mystes was saying), and you can do the same sorta thing in less space

e: To be clear that is almost definitely the correct technical term for what I'm describing I just don't know a lot of technical skate terms (aside from alley oop top soul teehee)

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Mauser posted:

yeah, my park has a small street with a hill next to it so I've been practicing on that and I'm fine with the speed while going straight and I can do some wide carves as long as I start out carving, but I'm having a hard time going from already moving fast downhill and then switching to carving.

And yeah, my friend will fly down a hosed up concrete sidewalk that's two feet wide, so that's the dream one day.

rereading your post, i think you should mb try to learn an emergency stop/powerstop or mb a plow stop if you're going to be shredding hills often, carving/slaloming is good and all but as this discussion notes it can be easily limited by space

#1 job of learning to urban skate is learning to stop abruptly, safely, confidently imo

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

oh yeah, every time I go out I usually warm up a bit doing tighter and tighter turns until I can hit that point where I'm turning as sharply as possible without sliding and after I go skating a bit I practice a hockey stop. Last time I went out, I've been trying to do a reverse stop or slide stop (whatever you call it), but the park road is really rough and a lot of this poo poo would be easier at a tennis court. It's just one thing to be doing all this at the speed you want and another to be doing it at the speed that the slope is making you go. In any case, it's gotten dark, cold and windy so inline skating is kind of out for me for the season and I'm looking to do some ice skating

Bonus pic:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

What's up, sk8rs? Did you do something you're proud of this year? Maybe you did a sick grind or won a roller derby bout. Get it burned into your rap sheet forever by posting in the 2021 Achievement Sixxer thread!

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i've been reading this thread for a while and i think i want to try skating this year, but i have no idea where to start, or even if it's a good idea, given the following:
i don't know how to skate at all (i can ride a bike if that helps)
last i knew i didn't have great balance but i've been working out for quite a while now so maybe that's changed?
i am a mutant and wear size 15 shoes

mystes
May 31, 2006

butt dickus posted:

i've been reading this thread for a while and i think i want to try skating this year, but i have no idea where to start, or even if it's a good idea, given the following:
i don't know how to skate at all (i can ride a bike if that helps)
last i knew i didn't have great balance but i've been working out for quite a while now so maybe that's changed?
i am a mutant and wear size 15 shoes
Basically get skates (and a helmet and elbow/knee/wrist protectors) and start trying to skate and maybe watch some youtube videos after giving it a go and have a sense of what you are trying to do.

Aggressive skates (for skate parks) are different and have smaller wheels than skates for just skating around recreationally so ideally know which you want to do (if you want to do both but don't care about grinding you can get away with just using 4x80mm skates for both to begin with).

I'm not totally sure about size 15 skates (and availability kind of sucks right now anyway). I would normally suggest getting hard shell skates to start but based on that shoe size you may have to get something like the Rollerblade XL line. The most important thing is you don't want them to be too big (they normally should feel slightly too tight when you put them on the first time; if you're feet are sliding around in soft shell boots it will be completely impossible to learn to skate properly).

Edit: The first time, maybe just try a big/smooth/empty parking lot. Then, if you want to skate in a skate park you can just go to one anywhere and maybe watch youtube videos on aggressive skating and try doing that. If you want to skate around for exercise, try to find a flat, quiet bike path. Be VERY careful about any sort of downward slope until you have learned how to brake and know what you are doing somewhat. You should probably watch a youtube video on how to use heel brakes first, too.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 24, 2022

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

these?
it's not for exercise, mainly wanting to put my new body to use. i thought it might be fun for traveling shorter distances. i live in kansas so everything is pretty flat here

is there something that tells me what all the terms are? is there a video that tells me what to do with my flailing extremities? my only experience with skating was 20 years ago using too-small ice skates and running into the walls of the rink when i wasn't falling over

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah, I think there are more that go up to size 14 but at size 15 you may not have that many options other than those (I'm not sure if other brands also have similar models that go up to size 15?)

quote:

it's not for exercise, mainly wanting to put my new body to use. i thought it might be fun for traveling shorter distances. i live in kansas so everything is pretty flat here

is there something that tells me what all the terms are? is there a video that tells me what to do with my flailing extremities? my only experience with skating was 20 years ago using too-small ice skates and running into the walls of the rink when i wasn't falling over
It kind of has a steep learning curve so you would probably would want to do it a decent amount on a bike path or something before you actually try to skate around roads, although if there are lots of smooth/flat sidewalks it might be easier.

There are probably youtube videos that cover a lot of the basics but I don't know any specific ones off the top of my head. To start you'll just want to try to just skate without falling over and learn to use the heel brake. You'll probably naturally end up kind of skating the wrong way (shuffling forwards) so as soon as you can do that you'll want to try to skate by gliding on your front foot and kicking backwards. After that you can try to learn other stopping techniques and go from there.

Basically I think the main issue is that because of the learning curve, if you're hoping to just casually put on skates and be able to immediately skate around on actual roads for transportation immediately that might be hard but it does depend on what the roads and sidewalks are like where you are.

ghostal
Jul 13, 2008
I basically spent my last summer in hotel isolation, so I got a massive craving for wheels and outdoors. I'm not completely sure how I ended up looking at blades again (after 20 years off them) , but I ended up looking at wizard skating for the first time on YouTube and knew immediately I needed them.

After a long time finding individual parts, I've been getting back into the swing of things with NR100s with some gutted SXs and intuition liners. These have been great fun, but also super stable - I think I've fallen over like twice in 6 months. Great stuff for the 30 plus crowd.

Wanting to keep pushing myself, I ordered some wizard boots and PR76s (5 wheel) when they came back in stock,. The boots came in December but I had to wait for the frames. I got them yesterday and wow, these are amazing. The rocker feels really good, the wizard boot feels more solid on the tounge, so maneuverable. I'm excited to wear in the wheels and explore my skill limit with these.

If you're on the fence about wizards, I strongly recommend you find a way to try them out or one of the equivalent frames.

mystes
May 31, 2006

ghostal posted:

I basically spent my last summer in hotel isolation, so I got a massive craving for wheels and outdoors. I'm not completely sure how I ended up looking at blades again (after 20 years off them) , but I ended up looking at wizard skating for the first time on YouTube and knew immediately I needed them.

After a long time finding individual parts, I've been getting back into the swing of things with NR100s with some gutted SXs and intuition liners. These have been great fun, but also super stable - I think I've fallen over like twice in 6 months. Great stuff for the 30 plus crowd.

Wanting to keep pushing myself, I ordered some wizard boots and PR76s (5 wheel) when they came back in stock,. The boots came in December but I had to wait for the frames. I got them yesterday and wow, these are amazing. The rocker feels really good, the wizard boot feels more solid on the tounge, so maneuverable. I'm excited to wear in the wheels and explore my skill limit with these.

If you're on the fence about wizards, I strongly recommend you find a way to try them out or one of the equivalent frames.
I feel like it should be noted that one of the downsides to the wizard style configurations unless you're specifically interested in wizards skating is that they can be pretty heavy. Here are approximate weights of different wheel configurations as percentages of 4x80 (plus I think the wizard frames are heavier than most other frames):
pre:
4x80	100.00%
4x90	125.00%
4x100	160.00%
3x110	146.25%
4x110	195.00%
3x125	185.63%
5x80	125.00%
I got 4x110 nn frames like a year ago and I liked the stability, plus the weight doesn't really matter if you're going on flat surfaces and don't have to stop frequently, but I've been skating more on routes that have more stopping, starting, turning, small hills, hopping on curbs, etc. and the weight started to get annoying so I've mainly been using my other pair of skates which have a 4x90 frames. Unfortunately it seems like it's hard to get 90mm wheels right now and I have a bunch of 110mm wheels lying around so I'm actually thinking of getting longer 3x110 mm frames since they would have the same stability as 4x110 with much less weight.

I think wizard skating makes sense for people who used to be into aggressive skating and now are interested more in something like free skating but I'm not totally sure that that style of skates makes a lot of sense if that isn't what you're interested considering that the frames are pretty expensive and not necessarily that practical for other styles of skating.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jan 25, 2022

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I would love some of those Endless 4x90mm slight rocker frames but holy poo poo are they expensive.

E: also I'll probably wipe out and scratch them in a week.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

Wizard frames are heavy af fyi

I mean i love them but yea they are heavy af

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

butt dickus posted:

these?

If you decide to get skates, find a tennis court or newly-paved parking lot and just skate around. A lot of it is balance and muscle memory, so youtube video tutorials can be helpful but nothing is as helpful as just skating a lot. You don't need to know a lot of terms right away, just get used to having your skates on and moving in them. Your flailing extremities will take care of themselves. If it's disgusting outside, skating around your house (if possible) can be really helpful.

Once you feel comfortable just skating around in circles or whatever, find a few tutorials for slowing down and stopping and try those. The key to learning on your own is to pick a skill and practice practice practice.

Once you feel OK skating (and stopping) on extremely flat and smooth terrain, find a quiet spot of road and try it out. Most roads are graded so they won't be as flat and there's also lots of cracks, debris, etc you need to navigate around. A few tutorials for "urban skating" would probably not do you wrong at this point. I found a local school's parking lot with a nice small hill with a few cracks and a bus lane I could use to make a big loop and spent a few weekend afternoons there practicing. As far as I can tell the key to learning road skating is to find small sections you can handle and gradually increasing the difficulty with larger hills, more surface types, etc.

I was lucky enough to find a skating group - ask around, there might be one in your area, it's getting pretty popular now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

thanks for the advice everyone! i was talking to my lifting buddy today and mentioned i wanted to try skating and apparently he used to do it years ago and still has his pair. i'm gonna try to get equipment this week

vonnegutt posted:

If it's disgusting outside, skating around your house (if possible) can be really helpful.
i didn't even consider this, i have a nice flat room in my basement that's just used for ping pong that should work well for this