Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Any other quad skaters? I have been entranced with videos of women skate-dancing in the sunset and bought some pink rollerskates. Been skating at some local tennis courts as well as parking lots, trying to build up the courage to skate in the street. Any tips on finding good places to skate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Omg that's incredible

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

black.lion posted:

Man your iPhone camera is nice, I have a Galaxy S8 that is on its last legs, my camera is like looking through a pinhole during a heavy rainstorm - Oh well I guess that means I JUST HAVE TO BUY the extremely expensive selfie stick 360 camera THERE IS NO OTHER OPTION OH WELL :homebrew:

is there any kind of drone camera that can be set up to automatically follow at a distance/angle? what I'm picturing is maybe some way to "lock" it on me, perhaps a visual cue like two or three tracking dots on my helmet, and then setting it to follow those from ten feet up / ten feet behind. Now that I'm typing it out it sounds very sci-fi but I've been wrong before.

Also if anyone has a link to the extremely expensive selfie stick camera, I'm interested. Are those the ones that automatically "erase" the stick? I've seen skate videos where it appears as if someone is holding onto nothing to film, I assume that's some kind of post-processing?

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I'm currently in the process of teaching myself how to urban skate after skating on level ground for about a year. It really is just repetition and practice to make it less scary. A hill that seemed ridiculously steep near my house is now very doable. I noticed that it was right outside my comfort zone so I spent a few days practicing going down it with as much control as I could. Now I'm able to skate past it and continue to another, more sketch area, which is my new practice area.

I figure eventually most of town will seem fine with some areas that are above my skill level. That's kind of the fun of it though, finding those spots and then conquering them.

However I definitely feel like I'm able to do this because I spent a while on level ground practicing my stops, backwards skate, and transitions until those felt smooth.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

butt dickus posted:

these?
it's not for exercise, mainly wanting to put my new body to use. i thought it might be fun for traveling shorter distances. i live in kansas so everything is pretty flat here

is there something that tells me what all the terms are? is there a video that tells me what to do with my flailing extremities? my only experience with skating was 20 years ago using too-small ice skates and running into the walls of the rink when i wasn't falling over

If you decide to get skates, find a tennis court or newly-paved parking lot and just skate around. A lot of it is balance and muscle memory, so youtube video tutorials can be helpful but nothing is as helpful as just skating a lot. You don't need to know a lot of terms right away, just get used to having your skates on and moving in them. Your flailing extremities will take care of themselves. If it's disgusting outside, skating around your house (if possible) can be really helpful.

Once you feel comfortable just skating around in circles or whatever, find a few tutorials for slowing down and stopping and try those. The key to learning on your own is to pick a skill and practice practice practice.

Once you feel OK skating (and stopping) on extremely flat and smooth terrain, find a quiet spot of road and try it out. Most roads are graded so they won't be as flat and there's also lots of cracks, debris, etc you need to navigate around. A few tutorials for "urban skating" would probably not do you wrong at this point. I found a local school's parking lot with a nice small hill with a few cracks and a bus lane I could use to make a big loop and spent a few weekend afternoons there practicing. As far as I can tell the key to learning road skating is to find small sections you can handle and gradually increasing the difficulty with larger hills, more surface types, etc.

I was lucky enough to find a skating group - ask around, there might be one in your area, it's getting pretty popular now.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
When I started street skating I tried a bunch of different parking lots / multi use trails / chill street routes and assigned a difficulty rating to each. I repeated the easier ones until I felt confident in my slaloming, slowing and stopping. If your neighborhood feels sketchy right now you might just need to find an area that's a little easier and work up to it. You can also build progressions of specific skills.

Skills I worked on for street skating, in order of importance:

- slowing / stopping: I use a drag stop 80% of the time but also do a fair amount of pizza'ing for cutting speed. I also have been working on power slides
- slaloming / carving on hills: by increasing the tightness of your carving you can adjust speed with less effort
- jumping cracks / curbs / debris

Strava has an option for inline skating and I started using that to keep track of routes. I would use the notes to keep track of things like good asphalt vs bad, big hills, etc and quickly built up a set of fun skate areas. I need to get back into it now that the weather is nice, I want to get my skate ability to the level that I can do all my cardio on skates.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

dupersaurus posted:

OH WELL I GUESS I’LL HAVE TO BUT SOME 125s

Really this is the only solution to most inline skate problems

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
Any tips for getting an uncomfortable skate to fit better, or am I better off finding a new boot? I have narrow feet and have been skating in Powerslide Swells. After about 2-3 hours of skating the outside edges of my feet hurt so bad I'm forced to stop skating. The pain is mostly from the midfoot up to my pinkie toe on both feet.

At first I thought this was just part of "wearing them in" but I've had them for over a year now and skate every few days and no changes. The boot is large enough to fit comfortably when not skating - in fact, it's extremely roomy, and when skating my feet shift around in them quite a bit, which is part of the problem. The ankle can be cinched down enough to be snug but the toebox is not adjustable at all, it's hard plastic with a fabric liner.

Things I've tried:
- adjusting the frames laterally (helped a little, I think a big part of it is that the frames aren't centered underneath my feet so I have to press on outside edges more than I probably should to stay on the "center edge" of my wheels)
- baking the plastic boot in the oven (helped with a hotspot on the inside of my ankle but not the larger issue)
- Dr. Scholls inserts (helped a little with arch support but not the larger issue)

Alternatively, any boots that fit narrow feet comfortably? I'm a woman if that matters.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Grassy Knowles posted:

He didn’t think roller skates and skateboards would share hardware.

I ran into one of these too. I asked for a pack of Reds and questioned my decision when he found out I rollerbladed, telling me these were for skateboards and might not work. When I told him they absolutely would work, that I already had a pack and just needed a second, then he was had all kinds of questions about blades and quad skates. Then he talked my ear off about a bunch of stuff that would clearly need much more planning and organization. For example he wanted to have a "skate 5k" with a cash prize gathered from entry fees, naturally. He wanted to have it "before the end of the summer" but hadn't identified a location or exact date. I didn't have the heart to tell him that all of the (running) 5ks I signed up for had signups available at least three months in advance.

Worst part was he was the owner of the skate shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
My first set of inline skates were 3x125 Powerslide Swells. I got them because they looked cool and took the brake off before ever using them. There was a significant learning curve but they are fun as hell.

Going to go against the grain and say that the best skates are the ones that are the most fun.

I had about a year's experience on cheap quad Impalas before that. I am looking for more 3x125 skates because the Powerslide boot consistently gives me a blister if I skate longer than a couple hours, which is rough. I'm currently curious what brands are known for being comfortable for narrow feet.