Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Sure, okay. I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

HBD Toal!

My dog decided to give you a present apparently by drinking too much water at once and coughing it up all over the floor, so now I gotta go clean that up.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Woke up a bit ago, but wouldn't say I'm properly awake yet.

What the hell? That's like a word crime or something.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

b-minus1 posted:

I will only vote one of these people for today.

Wow, rude.

Nah, you do you Binus. It's cool.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Welcome back already Grandi

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

spacing in vienna posted:

My father has been teaching high school English continuously since 1970 and will not retire

I know what you mean but my first though was that he's just literally non-stop teaching high school English. No matter what he's doing, when or where it is, still teaching high school English at the same time.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

This is for anyone, but only the first person who reads it:

How're ya doing? Enjoying your Friday, and got any cool weekend plans?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I stand by what I said.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Gonna try trusting my gut a bit more so let' see....

##vote Sand

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Sandwolf posted:

Lotus, Hal, SiV, any reads?

My instincts are saying you/Clue/Ilmucche are the scummiest right now, but even after looking back over stuff I'm not I could back it up with anything especially concrete right now.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Lotus Aura posted:

My instincts are saying you/Clue/Ilmucche are the scummiest right now, but even after looking back over stuff I'm not sure I could back it up with anything especially concrete right now.

Mafia edit

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Pretty sure that's just Binus being Binus. Picking a list of people he will only vote from, or people he definitely won't vote at the start of D1 is kinda his thing from what I remember, as are making bold declarations like that. If it was anyone else, it'd be more outta place, sure.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Grandicap is dead.
Long stump Grandicap.

Sandwolf posted:

if you whanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends

"Ghotta", surely?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Skimming back over old posts to find something to substantiate my earlier kneejerk thoughts, and ilmucche voting Sandwolf to live up to a pregame promise, only to later unvote and then less than a minute later revote Sandwolf. For the use of "whanna". That was funny to see, but then a few posts later we get to

ilmucche posted:

I dunno, I do love an OMGUS so I'm tempted to throw toalpaz under the bus for voting for me then disappearing when everyone else seems pretty active?

This in response to Sand's ask for reads. Which to me reads as a light deflection to avoid giving any sort of real answer at all. Which is why I'm going to ##vote ilmucche for the time being.

...I also don't like how he said "throw toal under the bus" but I'm gonna avoid taking that too literally.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Also I've been ignoring the jelly bean stuff because I don't like most candy at all. Haven't had jelly beans of any kind since I was... I dunno, 12? Jelly beans are bad. That's my jelly beans hot take.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

People are, in fact, free to like it.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

After that post there, I think I can feel reasonably okay moving Clue to merely being a confused newbie at least for now.

Sal, meanwhile, is just getting worse the more he posts. After tunneling on Binus for calling Pig town, he looks at Grandi's about how Pig could be scum... and it uses logic he somehow hadn't considered? And now "misreading" Voodoo's post on that, only to proceed to pointedly not answer the question? Really not liking the way this reads. Would feel pretty good moving to Sal if ilmucche doesn't pan out for whatever reason.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I'm not really convinced by the sudden surge on Toal at the moment, personally. Low content is... well, we're about 3/4ths of the way though D1 so it's not ideal, but I can at least understand why folks mightn't be super engaged in D1. Especially when it's a long one like this. I'm increasingly more convinced that "not being around" is a dumb argument to use. Both town and scum alike can not post, and there's a million reasons for it so it's pretty meaningless.

The "what is town wincon????" post is probably the closest to a real argument here, and I'm still not seeing it. It's not a great joke, by any means, but it's not bad enough to votekill someone over.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I do wish I could properly understand binus' accusation, but eh it's fine. Like, I get each part as an individual statement but not a cohesive whole. It doesn't feel forced or anything though, so at least there's that.

As things stand, I'm not seeing much reason to switch off of Mirror Merk. Maybe something really convincing will happen later today. If nothing else, I'd do it to avoid no one getting got.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

It is literally one sentence saying its the scummiest post minus has seen. How could you understand each individual statement but not get the cohesive whole???? Again, this is the post:

Weird. I'm sure we're looking at the same post but I'm seeing three bullet points:

b-minus1 posted:

Lotus is scum
Lotus is probably bussing ilmuche
Sal is town

I absolutely believe that binus believes these things. It just doesn't flow logically, to me. Maybe I just worded it badly before.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

spacing in vienna posted:

Wait, is Clue a newbie? Legit question.

I didn't recognise her name at all, so I sorta just presumed she was really.

preview edit: I've played a bit, yeah. I haven't played on here in a little over a year, and bought a name/av change since then, though. Also trying to force myself to post more than I usually would.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I feel like the obvious thing to do regarding Toal is for anyone around with an active vote on them to unvote, and for everyone else to look elsewhere with the remainder of the day. Whether they're trying to get themself voted or a kind of functional voteproof is a distraction. They're either 3p or outright scum; either way, we're better served by not taking the bait.

If they're 3p, then holding off is the ideal move since it's an easy way for scum to blend in and not have to worry about properly justifying their votes. If they're scum, then of course the better option is to vote them today but since that seems to be what they want then whatever happens at that point is likely to be anti-Town in some way.

In not flipping Toal immediately, we deny them the thing they ostensibly want, get other information which can help clarify what their deal is and we keep toal as a viable option down the line. It just seems to me like the best thing we can do is ignore them and focus anywhere else now.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I think elsewhere is better for today, at least. It's a gamble either way but Toal trying to get themselves voted just makes them the least viable target today, in my mind

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Mostly my thinking at this point is they're either Jester or like a vote bomb, where they kill who hammers them.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Sandwolf posted:

Vote bomb actually makes a lot more sense with how Toal has played, but that’s traditionally a scum role too?

That's true, but considering Grandi got shot, I'd rather have a way around it than do what is almost certainly a 3 Town for 1 Scum trade. Just looks like an obviously bad choice to me.

If Toal ends up our best option, then so be it. I'm certainly not gonna argue for an intentional No Lunch.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Sandwolf posted:

agreed, who was it who said we should lunch Toal to verify that it was BS?

I think Clue's the only person who's put forth definitively flipping Toal. Other than Toal themself, I mean. I'm still willing to give her the benefit of the doubt today, though.

AtLow voted for Toal very quickly after their silly "fizzle out" claim, only to notice that put them to -1 and immediately recant it. They've been very good otherwise, though, so I feel confident putting that down to excitedly jumping the gun and not fully thinking it through.

I don't see anyone else that's explicitly been pro-voting Toal specifically to verify the claim one way or the other.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

If it comes down to Toal or no-one, which it seems like it will (and possibly already has), then I won't like it but obviously Toal is the only answer there.

Depending on how Toal flips, I'll definitely consider looking at Clue more tomorrow because I'm really not liking how insistent she is that it definitely has to be Toal.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Ok, let's consider the alternatives:

AtLow: literally their first game here, so a complete non-starter on D1. Also probably could not be any townier if they tried which helps too. Would not vote.

binus: very town-seeming, posts his conclusions with confidence and nothing strikes me as out of place. Would not vote.

CPig: literally every argument for/against him has been solely about the dayvig. Not ideal, would vote only to avoid NL but supremely unrealistic.

Hal: some white noise, occasional probes, nothing objectionable really. Not ideal, would vote to avoid NL but also definitely not happening D1.

ilmucche: definitely my preferred vote for the day. Deflected giving any reads for ages, focused almost entirely on Toal the whole game, has been around since toal's claims and completely ignored them. Fingered Toal almost entirely for seeming "detached", but has basically gone out of his way to appear focused and engaged while not really contributing anything to move any discussions forward.

Clue: flips between newbie uncertainty and confidence in a way that feels a bit put on. Has definitely been trying, which is good! Focused almost exclusively on Toal since their claims, though, with the exception of when that was pointed out. Would definitely vote, but I appreciate that's a hard sell for D1 because of her relative newness.

Sal: had a bit of negative attention early on, but that ended up fizzling out. Hasn't been objectionable since. Would vote to avoid NL, but that's it.

Sandwolf: spent a lot of time prodding people for reads and prying for further information. Generally reads very town to me, beyond my early game kneejerk. At this point, would not vote.

SiV: spent a loooot of time talking about linguistics, but after that has been fine. Her comments while catching up with the thread were all pretty good and hard pressed to find anything in there that comes off otherwise. Would not vote.

Voodoo: has a lot of posts, but mostly they feel like white noise to me. The prolonged argument with Sal was fine, trying to get a clear answer, and all but after that it's kinda hard to say. Voting Toal purely to get rid of them, which isn't really scummy but something about it rubs me the wrong way. Would vote to avoid NL.

Keeping in mind this is where we're at as we're barreling towards the end of day. I recognise a non-Toal outcome is unlikely, but I still think it's overall better. Even though I very well might be the only person that does.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

...Wow, I spent longer than I thought writing that up apparently.

Voodoofly posted:

We can talk about nerve pain?

I have permanent neuropathy in my right leg. Basically always feels like ants are crawling on it. It's been 12 years now so most of the time I don't notice it.

But some days you step on a paw patrol toy your son left on the floor, slip, slam your knee into the corner of the furniture, and now it feels like your leg is in lava and you can't stop scratching it.

Guess what sort of day it is for me!

Oh jeez, that sucks :( Hope it eases up soon!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

It's 2:40 in the morning here. Pointedly posting to say I'm out for the night now and I'm sticking with my conviction to not vote toal here. :colbert:

Kinda expected literally anything to happen last 2 hours to change either my mind or the thread state at all but nope.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Hrm. Well then.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I think it'd mean either Toal was a cop but their results go to someone else.

I was thinking that Toal was probably a Reverse Death Miller between their actions, it being a Bastard Mod game and the flip but Hal and Sand both make me doubt that now. So I guess they really were just loving around to no end, except their own.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I have absolutely nothing new at all, but given the softclaim ilmucche made above, I'm liking him a tiny bit more than I did D1. Plus he did say he's more engaged D2 onwards, so I'm hoping he'll live up to it.

Clue's my only other real suspect at the moment, and no one else is jumping out as overtly suspicious to me.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Maybe softclaim was the wrong word, but

ilmucche posted:

apparently Hal was targeted

This bit, which reads to me like he's implying that either he sent Hal the message or saw who did. Nothing before that post even hinted that Hal received anything, after all.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Ah, you're probably right. That makes more sense.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

If the "whanna" thing is your only point of suspicion at all that sort of implies a lack of trying? I mean, during D1 at a varying points you said you got pings from ilmucche and myself. What happened to either/both of those that changed your mind? Is this really the only thing you can bring up now?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Rhymes With Clue posted:

What changed my mind about you in particular is complicated and probably weird but here goes: I got a little sus on everyone who immediately agreed with my reads on Toalpaz, because like, "Okay, here's something we can go with, sure." This is not to say I didn't have a good reason for them in my head. You did not agree.

Maybe that's not that weird. It's what it is.

That's an... interesting take. A bit out of the norm, but sure. It's something at least, and shows that you have been thinking and developing reads over time, which is good.

But:

Rhymes With Clue posted:

All right. I hereby rescind the post where I said that.

What you're saying here is that you now have no scum reads at all?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Just throwin' this out here:

##vote Cpig

The dayvig thing doesn't really factor in, beyond the obvious fact that declaring it the way he did means it never hits scum. I absolutely believe he'd do it the same way regardless of alignment.

CapitalistPig posted:

I need to drag this game out of jokephase.

What is everyone's favorite jelly belly jelly bean flavor?

After that, we get... jelly beans. Lots and lots of jelly beans. Coupled with the start of it here, it's clearly meant to be a joke. Sure, whatever. Except! It drags out long, long past it being a joke to running in the middle of other posts and it becomes a distraction. And it's the only thing he interacts with until....

CapitalistPig posted:

Oh look, a ~bad~ vote

CapitalistPig posted:

But it was a bad vote, It's bad because it's bad.

The only non-jelly bean thing (surrounded both sides by more, though, which I'll skip over) is calling one of Voodoo's votes - and conspicuously just his and just the first one - bad... because it's bad...? If you disagree with something, there's usually a reason why beyond a tautology.

CapitalistPig posted:

These are actually good reasons to vote toal and I was kind of pinged by the town wincon stuff in particular.

##vote toal

Which brings us to Clue's Toal case that he happily jumps onto. Agreeing/disagreeing with the case is immaterial, it's long before it dominates the thread, but it stands out to me because he was the first person to jump on with a vote - after Clue herself of course - with functionally a "me too" post. Rather conspicuously, it was the first, and only serious, vote he's made thus far.

CapitalistPig posted:

I won't vote anyone but toal after all this

They are either

A.) A jester, in which case lol I don't mind handing them a jester win

B.) A Lunchbomb , in which case I am not gonna be the hammer because I'm already voting them

C.) The claimed survivor with the obliterate ability and we can use their claim to then know sandy is scum

D.) lying for some reason in which case, meh, good riddance they aren't playing anyway.

A win win win win

Next, we get to this weird show of complacency. Already voting Toal, who's at this point completely taken over the thread? Clearly that means no need to even try. Just brag about not even bothering to scum hunt. A totally normal thing to do.

And that's it for day 1. Day 2 brings us...

CapitalistPig posted:

Right back at square 1 basically.

I'm, honestly completely at a loss.

This... uh, this. Toal's flip was far from ideal, and something I would not expect anyone to see coming, but the characterization here is wholly disingenuous. Almost feels like an attempt to get people to completely disregard the entire series of events leading up to the end of day for some reason...

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Telling someone to be decisive and actively trying to get voted out aren't really comparable. It's one of the least objectionable things he posted there, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Voodoofly posted:

Lotus have you played with bminus before?

Yes, I have. I've played with half the people in this game before; binus, CPig, Hal, Sal, Sandwolf and Toal all at least once each. I have also read (but, as far as I remember, have not played in) games that Grandi, SiV and you played in. Ilmucche and Clue are both wholly new to me here.