Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

This is my favourite post about disco elysium:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I love DE but I don't think I'm ready to play it again just to hear voice acting that I'm mostly going to skip through. I hope whoever they found to say HARDCORE TO THE MEGA eighty times really commits.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

for the people playing for the first time, you can use the point you get for leveling up to get new slots in the thought cabinet, and I recommend doing it often because the thoughts are fun. hold alt to highlight stuff you can interact with. don't worry about failing checks or min/maxing your stats, just play it how you want and eventually things will kind of just fall together.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

dangerdoom volvo posted:

i remember my first death was to a really uncomfortable chair. great game

that part of the game is probably the easiest to die besides the beginning, it owns

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

thinking about when my wife asked what I was laughing about and I had to explain the tie's farewell speech

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the hosed up dream harry has about his ex-wife did get to me a little, if i'm being honest. it's written pretty well and i think most people have had to face something similar to that situation, being unable to accept that your time with someone important to you is basically at an end, and there's no catharsis or end to the chapter, it just... stops. it helps that the game puts intense roadblocks up whenever he even comes close to thinking about it, even though there's enough dialog that the player knows what happened. i was sort of hoping that they'd just talk around it without actually addressing it head-on the whole game, but both the timing and the way they finally get into it feels like an important part of him coming to terms with himself.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yeah that got me too. It loves me. I have value...

That whole scene is the game in a nutshell imo, I absolutely cracked up when it appeared and I realised what was happening. Incredible game but I dunno if I'll ever replay it, I get the impression the illusion of choice/consequences would fall apart on replay tbh

i definitely have to replay it at some point because i never found a good record for the church gang to find their sound, and i rolled poorly on empathy (my best loving skill, i just hit it unlucky) that the woman committed suicide after our confrontation. there are a lot of little things that i feel like can be different, like whether you catch the die, etc. i also feel like it would be a good game to watch someone else play and experience for the first time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I just jumped from the roof on the other side to avoid the racist guy. you don't need good physical skills to do it because at the time all I had was empathy and inland empire.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I think that internalising the racist thought and saying racist poo poo in dialogues is tracked differently.

it is. you can see it somewhere in the menu with an actual number next to it. they tally choices for stuff like fascism, liberalism and communism (I don't think feminist agenda has a count, but I might be wrong). there's a similar system for coptypes.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

they ban anything with "real" drugs in it so it's the amphetamines lol

nah, just the political philosophies - four of them and they're each going to have an exclusive quest. Communism, fascism, liberalism and Moralism which is just I-don't-do-politics

I forgot moralism, yeah. it might track the feminist stuff somewhere despite it not being one of the big four political philosophies, though, there are numbers you can see for all the coptypes. I think it's anything that can go in your thought cabinet that isn't just triggered by a single event.

i think one of the cool things about the game is how much work it does in the background without you noticing. the passive check successes and the numbers building to new thought discoveries don't feel artificial or like something you want to look up the mechanics for, you just experience them based on your choices.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SpaceAceJase posted:

Oh that's alright. That version should be banned imo. It's a game for adults

are you implying that video game consoles are for children here in the imp zone?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

SpaceAceJase posted:

I want to make progress in this game but I keep restarting :smith:

why? it's a game where it's fun to live with your bad rolls. just save often so you don't die at any of the minor difficult parts and live with your choices, like the protagonist does.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

he 100% does

lol awesome

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

runs super fast on the PC for me, with very short loading times.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fargield posted:

/Sigh It's tough being a ps4 gamer

fwiw disco elysium isn't the kind of game you need an epic graphics card or w/e. generally a console gamer so i can easily see things on the TV but the amount of text in DE definitely makes it better as a PC game IMO

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Game is extremely good, every time I think I’m getting stuck or running out of leads new stuff opens up. Lots of internet people talk about the politics and the communism stuff but I’ve been having a blast as an inland empire art cop just getting super abstract and conceptual with everything I run into. It felt like leveling was super slow but then I got the “get exp for every artsy answer” thought and have more skill points than I know what to do with

yeah, the pacing really works well that way, you sort of get down to the rocky bottom of your list and then just when you think you're going to hit a wall, seven new things open up. and you can sort of play him however you want because almost everything has a "gain experience for every time you use this thought" thing. you can easily play most of the game ranting about feminism, the otherwordly apocalypse, or how much you enjoy drugs and it still works out. you can play him as a guy who hit his rock bottom and is finally getting better or as someone who's still circling the drain. just about the only thing he can't be is over his ex-wife.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Stairmaster posted:

Actually if you manage to avoid learning about Dolores dei then at the end of the game the nightmare in the bunker doesn't happen and inland empire congratulates you.

lol eternal sunshine of the spotless mind I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

my read on the game's politics is that all the NPCs who talk about it are meant to sound like raving lunatics or selfish manipulators, but I played it before they added the new politics quests.