Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tulip posted:

Replicators are not a necessary condition for the post-scarcity economics of Star Trek, and more to the point are not sufficient. I'd hope to god by now that everyone here is aware that a post-scarcity situation can be turned into a scarcity situation through political power and force.

So you don't think that just saying "we solved energy problems by inventing a machine that gave us unlimited energy" is a cop out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

So you don't think that just saying "we solved energy problems by inventing a machine that gave us unlimited energy" is a cop out?

Isn't the federation constantly scrounging for deuterium and trilithium?
Like that's why you had all those lovely mining colonies that Kirk visited.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
The image of the starship enterprise as an icon recurs frequently in Into Darkness. The natives at the beginning draw it in a dirt, a drawing that dissolves into the "real" deal. But it shows up a lot ON the enterprise, outside of engineering, and not either in the diagrammatic cross section we see on TNG and stuff. Specifically, the top down perspective from the beginning of the film. A drawing like that is crucial to the understanding and operation of the starship, yet it is not quite ever what people are seeing when they are working inside of it. The natives from the beginning may now be constructing icons of it in their worship, but this will be a crucial step in their understanding as it was and is for ours. They need to understand a picture bigger than themselves, which is the lesson kirk learns. He's not really the ship, he's the guy who sacrifices himself to the ship so it can keep going. The ship's bigger than anybody, it's a collection of everybody. Kahn can't save the ship because he's one guy.

The stuff at the end is an interesting inverse of the stuff at the beginning. The people of earth are presumably as innocent of the stuff that happens in space as the goofy stereotypes from the beginning, so instead of being presented a spaceship disaster as if it were a larf (kirk's perspective), we see it horrible, from the ground. These people know what starships are, how scared out of their godzillas must the natives have been? Do you think freezing the volcano impacted the cycle of life on their planet?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Animal-Mother posted:

Time cops spinoff.

If I was Sisko, I would be mad at people coming into my office and handling my ancient artifact. :argh:

nothing ancient about it, but it was a gift from first contact with an alien species.

gimme an old tenured colm meaney teaching an engineering lab class at starfleet academy show.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I need a show about a good ship with a stellar crew visiting different worlds, exploring alien artifacts, dealing with space hippies, and encountering space juggalos.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Isn't the federation constantly scrounging for deuterium and trilithium?
Like that's why you had all those lovely mining colonies that Kirk visited.

The idea that the Federation didn't have money or require resources was definitely not around in at least the earliest TOS (which I'm about to the end of the first season in my rewatch). There was definitely a general sense of "we survived the worst parts of human history by overcoming baser urges and are the better for it" and a lot of better living through technology stuff, but the idea of the Federation as a scarcity-free utopia didn't really solidify til the TNG era. (And of course even then they still couldn't manufacture dilithium, needed to negotiate for rare vaccines in horrifingly racist episodes, etc.)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yeah, replicators canonically still have their limits. They work at the molecular level, which means they can't transmute elements -- if you want gold-plated dinnerware to eat your replicated steak with, there has to be gold in the matter feed. And they can't produce substances or patterns of sufficient complexity, which is why there's still need to manufacture things like warp cores and vaccines.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Tulip posted:

Most of the complaints that people have here, me included, are that Trek has been infected with gritty high-tension war on terror action morality, about hard men making hard choices to prevent mysterious shifty terrorists from doing their mysterious shifty plots. It's Tom Clancy crap that we've seen a billion times and wasn't even interesting the first time, and I don't really think the transporters or Irish Unification of 2024 or what have you is the problem.

Into Darkness, Disco, and Picard are basically paramount trying to make a sci-fi 24.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P52G4Kyq5M

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Bootcha posted:

Into Darkness, Disco, and Picard are basically paramount trying to make a sci-fi 24.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P52G4Kyq5M

Or a Mission Impossible in space...

Can't wait for a series based on Section 31 agent Ethan Tunt

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Bogus Adventure posted:

Or a Mission Impossible in space...

Can't wait for a series based on Section 31 agent Ethan Tunt

As long as Judy Greer gets to yell "YOU AREN'T MY SUPERVISOR!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU