Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I only saw Trek 09 and I was a lot less invested in Trek then than I am now but even just by the standards of "action movie" it was brainless and didn't bring enough really great action to elevate it above "completely disposable."

Bogus Adventure posted:

Sorry, I'll shut up. I just miss goofy stories about away teams visiting planets full of hippies and projectile plants, babbys in space ships, and kids with psychic powers.

May I offer you some Lower Decks in these trying times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

VinylonUnderground posted:

When Star Trek was first created the Space Race and the Sexual Revolution were in full swing. The possibilities for the future were endless and bright. There was also the Cold War and the constant threat of nuclear annihilation. But the only thing holding humanity back was humanity. Hell, the Cuban Missile Crisis, terrifying as it was, was a clear example that if well-intentioned people just spoke to each other they could solve anything.

Now we live in a weird cyberpunk dystopia. I can get Logan's Run-type sex through my phone but few people call that liberating. There's an app literally called Grindr because it is all a bit of a grind. They've also destroyed cultural centers like bars -- even before Covid gay bars were dying as cultural centers because apps give the sex without the community. There are no well-intentioned people either. Who can sit down to stop global warming? It's a multipolar world where responsibility has been diffused to so many different heads of state and CEOs that no one can make it stop even if we all see where the train is going. And our differences aren't just ideological. It isn't Communism vs Capitalism. Look at Covid. It's insane conspiracy poo poo where people roll coal and will infect themselves with deadly diseases to "own the libs".

How do you go from where Star Trek started to now? How does the vision of Star Trek make sense today?

The 60s had its own nightmares with poverty and wars and alienation. The extent that our cyberpunk dystopia feels inescapable is more effect than cause of Star Trek (among many, many other forms of fiction) turning their hand at "better things aren't possible."

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

VinylonUnderground posted:

I'm either not parsing your statement correctly or you have a lot more faith in fiction driving history than I do.

I'm talking about fiction's ability to drive and affect fiction, and quickly following that, emotions. I don't have a lot of faith, really any, that our fiction meaningfully reflects any particular non-fiction.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Replicators are not a necessary condition for the post-scarcity economics of Star Trek, and more to the point are not sufficient. I'd hope to god by now that everyone here is aware that a post-scarcity situation can be turned into a scarcity situation through political power and force.

mind the walrus posted:

I think that's because even as far back as the mid-90s, Star Trek had written itself into multiple corners and had outlived its usefulness as a setting.

Now instead of doing the obvious thing and just remaking Star Trek but from a starting point of 2000, understanding that the internet exists, didn't make the Eugenics Wars/WWIII a given, and didn't automatically make transporters/replicators a thing, everyone clings to the original IP and tries to Brundlefly old stuff with whatever generic sci-fi the rightsholders want to try. It became the worst of both worlds-- achingly precious about the past and stubbornly lacking in vision about the future.

See, this to me feels like holding onto the parts of Star Trek that are worn out while discarding the parts that are still fertile. At least to my mind the flaw is that Star Trek sticks so rigidly to portraying an incredibly narrow slice of the Federation. Lower Decks is boundary pushing just by making the Captain & friends secondary characters rather than primary characters.

Most of the complaints that people have here, me included, are that Trek has been infected with gritty high-tension war on terror action morality, about hard men making hard choices to prevent mysterious shifty terrorists from doing their mysterious shifty plots. It's Tom Clancy crap that we've seen a billion times and wasn't even interesting the first time, and I don't really think the transporters or Irish Unification of 2024 or what have you is the problem.