Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Bogus Adventure posted:

Ah, I see what you mean. Enterprise is definitely the most "HEY GUYS, CHECK OUT THESE SEXY BODIES!!!" series.

It also includes an alien species where the nipples and the happy trail are mandatorily linked

That one is my favorite by far

Enterprise is genuinely incredibly embarrassing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

I've always found a lot of that aspirational stuff rang hollow because the answer was usually "someone invented a magic box." Like no poo poo we could solve poverty if we had access to functionally unlimited free energy through anti-matter reactors and a magic box that gives you anything you want when you ask. The series does much better by those principles when it's interacting with alien places that are allegories for Earth instead.

Actually I think Voyager made a repated point that it was very easy to do awful things with federation technology and we see it get misused time and time again.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I was under the impression that the federation paid starfleet officers in credits? Then they only really use that for trade.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

They dont pay them, the ships quartermaster keeps some on supply. Though starfleet officers tend to be portrayed as having some personal credits, latinum, etc to use for their own interests, and sometimes they'll throw it around if the mission calls for it

.... :confused:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

Is there something complicated about "Starfleet doesnt pay people, but the ship has money and sometimes the people have their own independent money?"

No but I just never heard of that before.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

In all honesty I would dig a show just showing how the federation deals with its captains going on wild adventures and keeps this multi species state going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Defiance Industries posted:

So you don't think that just saying "we solved energy problems by inventing a machine that gave us unlimited energy" is a cop out?

Isn't the federation constantly scrounging for deuterium and trilithium?
Like that's why you had all those lovely mining colonies that Kirk visited.