Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Hot Blooded Family PS1 vs Saturn comparison
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKlK4H8e0r0

Also tangentially related but weird news
https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1479609972380028934

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

oof. Abel Gongora was the director of the T0-B1 episode and while I still have two episodes to go, that's been by the far the worst one in Visions.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Potsticker posted:

oof. Abel Gongora was the director of the T0-B1 episode and while I still have two episodes to go, that's been by the far the worst one in Visions.
T0-B1 was a great segment, even if it was the least Star Wars. Or perhaps because it WAS the least Star Wars.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Odd. No series order yet but fairly sure it'll get one.
I guess I'd be interested to see a series that stays closer to the comics tone/plotline just as a counterpoint to the movie. I've got a big soft spot for the series still but now that I'm in my mid 30s it doesn't resonate with me quite the same way as it did when I was directionless in my mid 20s (which is a good thing).

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Crossposting my impressions from the general chat thread. Sifu is out now if you want to pay for the deluxe version like an idiot like me or available on the 8th if you don't. PS4/PS5 or Epic Game Store exclusive:

Initial Sifu impressions from 30 mins or so of play:

The opening sequence and then the title sequence is very good and incredibly thematic, really nailing the kung fu movie influences.The art style reminds me of a less cartoony Sea of Thieves and I mean that as a compliment. Environments are colourful and engaging even when they're something as nondescript as "rundown junkie apartment" or "warehouse". The kung fu animations themselves are great and combat in general feels smooth and free flowing just with the basics - I can tell already there's a lot of depth and nuance here that will feel amazing if I can get good enough to utilise it all.

Both yourself and your enemies have a stance meter that builds on block - max out an enemy's stance meter to leave them open for a killing blow. If you parry their attacks by blocking just before they hit you you'll a) get opportunities for follow up attacks and b) do a big chunk of 'damage' to their stance meter. There's also an avoidance system for weaving around attacks that can't be blocked but the reaction windows feel quite tight and I'm not great at utilising it much.

I was surprised at how quick the game transitioned from me effortlessly clowning on thugs with a pipe to the game going "okay, gloves off" and starting to surround me with aggressive enemies who hit hard and are not afraid to gang up on you. The hallway fight that was featured in a few of the trailers for this game was intense and it became clear pretty quickly that the game expects you to bite it.

The central mechanic - when you die, you age - ties pretty heavily into a metaprogression layer that I think is going to be the deciding factor for a lot of people as to whether or not they enjoy this game. Each time you die in a section your death counter goes up by 1, then adds to your age. You start at 21, so successive deaths in the same area would age you to 21, 23, 26 and so on - once you clear the encounter your death counter resets to zero. Reach 70 years old and die and your run is done, you won't be able to continue. In terms of permanent progression though you get the opportunity to unlock skills on death, either by paying a smaller amount of XP to unlock it just for your run, or five times that much to unlock it permanently. As you go through the levels you open up shortcuts/alternate paths that make revisits quicker, so it looks like the game is intending for you to slog through building your powers and abilities up and getting a feel for the levels until you can finally smash through it all in a final low(er) age run.

Speedruns and expert level play of this game is going to be a delight to watch, I bet.

All in all, loving what I've played so far and wish I wasn't at work so I could just keep playing it. I don't think it's going to be universally loved but drat I'm excited to have another kickass beat 'em up game out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Right now I'm basically grinding the first level for enough XP to permanently unlock some skills because I am going to find it hard to remember the controls for moves if I keep getting game overs and losing abilities. The first time I played I made it out of the Slums (forget the actual name) an old man so I couldn't make it far into the Club because my margin of error was one death. Now I can reliably beat the first level without hitting my 30s and I've got a base of 2 or 3 skills that are permanently unlocked that really make a difference.

Defence is tough in this game because you have to be in tune with the enemy attack animations and keep an eye on everyone around. It's kind of like Arkham if you skipped right to the hardest difficulty where there are no counter/evade warnings. When multiple enemies pick up weapons it is super dangerous. They are not afraid to throw them from off-screen. Thankfully a weapon thrown by an enemy can hit an enemy between you and them so being surrounded can kind of work to your advantage but you generally don't want to be surrounded at the start of the game before you have sweeping and swinging attacks that can hit more than one person.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

The difficulty ramp up in Sifu is pretty intimidating, but I'm pretty sure I'll stick it out for a while. I made it through the Warehouse level at 27, but I can already tell it's gonna take a lot of practice for me to make it through the Club before hitting 50 - that final boss is so brutal. All the best bits from Absolver seem to have made it through (I love all the little characterization touches on the minibosses) and I'm quite liking the setting so far. It seems like mastering defense will probably be the key to a getting through the game, but I could be wrong.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Got through the first level at around 24, then got game over in the Club. Oh that's fine, I'll just go back and blitz the warehouse level with my neat shortcut and much better grasp on the game.

Got out of the warehouse the second time around at over 30 :negative:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Seeing someone do an Age 20 run is going to be impressive but I'd also love to see someone take intentional deaths to the Age 70 threshold at the start of the game then 1-life the rest of it from there.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Oh lord give the SOR4 people the golden axe licence or let them rip off golden axe wholesale amen

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mode 7 posted:

Seeing someone do an Age 20 run is going to be impressive but I'd also love to see someone take intentional deaths to the Age 70 threshold at the start of the game then 1-life the rest of it from there.

Old man mode should be in the home screen when you beat it. If it isn't they failed.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Practically everything in Sifu owns immensely with the exception of the metaprogression, because if this

Lobok posted:

Right now I'm basically grinding the first level for enough XP
is a thing in your game then you have hosed up as a developer.
Or, I guess, succeeded at being an rear end in a top hat that wastes people's time.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Starting to get the hang of dodging, made it to the second phase of The Club boss fight.

General thoughts:

Dodging feels like a safer option once you get the rhythm of it down - most attacks that enemies throw at you tend to be high so you although there aren't height indicators for whether an attack is high or low you can just LB + down stick to weave around a lot of stuff. Most of the time even if you whiff the timing you'll still block the hit. Bosses/amped up enemies/one on one fights tend to mix it up a lot more and you'll need to learn their attack patterns.

Don't forget to use the X+A throw whenever you stun an enemy either via a parry or some good hits - the window on it after a parry is pretty generous, you can hit them a few times and still finish with the throw to shove them away. Shoving enemies into walls deals a ton of structure damage.

Loving how so far in both the Squats and the Club the levels start out as mundane locations and then undergo a transformation into a kickass kung fu vista, a bamboo grove in the case of the Squats and the burning city of the Club.

Also lol that when the intro cut scene played for the first boss my brain was like "Oh, I guess there's magic in this game?" despite having just played through the level as my protagonist who keeps resurrecting from his magic talisman.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jack Trades posted:

Practically everything in Sifu owns immensely with the exception of the metaprogression, because if this

Or, I guess, succeeded at being an rear end in a top hat that wastes people's time.

I'm not against the system they have but I just know for myself I'm going to have a difficult time if I unlock moves but then have to start over from somewhere earlier and have to remember I don't have them anymore. It's not like a normal roguelike or Streets of Rage 4 Survival where the weapons and bonuses you pick up each time are more obvious. With Sifu it has more to do with the control scheme and I just need time to get good with that.

Speaking of, it's too bad that in remapping the controls you can't use the left analog stick movements for more than one input. I moved movement to the d-pad so the different guard directions and the attack inputs like back-forward or forward-forward are easier but I can't use analog stick left/up/right for the Dialogue inputs. It treats any use of the stick (other than L3) as one input. Was also hoping to use the touchpad swipes but that doesn't work either. Touchpad is mostly useless for another generation of PlayStation, but I don't hold that against this game.

Edit: Does anyone know how to get in the locked door just before the first boss? On the level select screen I have 16/17 eye icons but I don't know if that means I've missed seeing what's in that room or I've missed the key that will let me get in.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Feb 7, 2022

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

Lobok posted:

Edit: Does anyone know how to get in the locked door just before the first boss? On the level select screen I have 16/17 eye icons but I don't know if that means I've missed seeing what's in that room or I've missed the key that will let me get in.

Still searching for that one myself, no luck. My hunch is it will be revealed on a later level to incentivize you to go back to the start one last time and maybe get a piece of lore or cosmetic upgrade.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh man, don't sleep on that Claw move. The one that leaves your back turned for a moment. The first swipe of the move has zero distance and is tricky to land but even if you whiff on it the follow up Light Attack frenzy has excellent reach and comes out fast enough to pre-empt enemy attacks. The follow-up Heavy Attack is a single high spin kick that satisfyingly knocks the enemy to the ground. You can intentionally whiff on the first swipe just so that you're in the stance if you anticipate an enemy coming into range.

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE posted:

Still searching for that one myself, no luck. My hunch is it will be revealed on a later level to incentivize you to go back to the start one last time and maybe get a piece of lore or cosmetic upgrade.

That's what I was hoping against, lol. But it does seem likely. I've played the 1st level enough times I can't really imagine there's some spot I haven't uncovered to get a key.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

Its kind of clear that the devs intended the progression to be that you focus on permanently unlocking one move at a time and that you do that across all your attempts; To permanently unlock a skill you pay for its initial buy cost 5 times over, and that carries over between runs (ex. If I pay twice for the permanent unlock and die the Final Death, I still only need to pay 3 more times, not counting the time you initially buy the skill.). So you still are able to make some sort of meaningful progression if you are proceeding with the game, though going back to a previous level would have XP come a little more easily and you get the fringe benefit of being able to complete the level at a better age so you can start the next level at that age, not to mention it feels sick as hell to shred through a level that was giving you trouble.

I mean, I will leave it to you to think if that is any better, but I think it does fit with what the devs may have been going for (Slow, long term mastery vs immediate, but potentially short term breadth). All that being said, apparently there are certain skills that are only available to get before a certain age, so again, take that as you will.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 7, 2022

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I don't think you have to grind for XP (though I understand not everyone will feel that way and that some people will feel compelled to). You'll naturally be dying and replaying enough simply from the difficulty of the game that you'll make steady progress through the skills menu without needing to worry about it too much. But also if you gave me all the XP right here and now and let me unlock everything I don't think there's anything in that move list that'd stop me from getting as owned as I am because none of those skills are "get better pattern recognition and stop loving up your defense (1000xp)"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Mode 7 posted:

I don't think you have to grind for XP

You don't, and part of why I was replaying the 1st level was to end off at a lower age to start the Club.

BUT I did learn that I had misunderstood the Permanent Unlock system. If you get a full death Game Over, the XP you put towards Permanent Unlocks of skills is saved. So you can play through the game spreading your XP around to learn various things, and bank some XP on certain moves by buying your way towards Permanent Unlocks that you can build on later. That will end up costing more XP though, because in each run, before you can put XP towards those Permanent Unlocks you always have to spend the initial XP to unlock the move for use in that run.

Move A
500 xp to Unlock
5 x 500xp to Permanently Unlock

= 3,000 total XP to Permanently Unlock if you did it all from scratch in one run (500 + 2,500 since that initial 500 is not counted among the 5 times you need for PU). But let's say you bring it down to needing only 1 payment of 500xp to Permanently Unlock and get Game Over before that happens, in your next run you'd need 1,000 total to Permanently Unlock because of that initial 500 xp cost to temporarily unlock it that you'll have to pay first.

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist

Mode 7 posted:

Starting to get the hang of dodging, made it to the second phase of The Club boss fight.

After three attempts I also got to Phase 2, but he wrecked me by a sliver. I had a good chunk of years left, but my P1 strategy of “duck all the things” no longer worked…

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Small tip but the first big guy you fight, where you get the tutorial on avoiding their grab attacks, there's a pile of bags you land on when jumping down through the skylight. All of those bags can be used as thrown weapons.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The most powerful move in the game is sliding over a counter.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I ended up refunding Sifu after about an hour and a half over two days. I loved the look and concept but it's just too hard, and I'm too old to have to put that kind of effort into my gaming.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

y_y posted:

After three attempts I also got to Phase 2, but he wrecked me by a sliver. I had a good chunk of years left, but my P1 strategy of “duck all the things” no longer worked…

Went in to the Club at 22 and left it at 55. A little of that was the two disciples just before the fight with Sean, the rest was Sean relentlessly beating me down.
I gotta get better at reacting to his phase 2 sweeps.

Game continues to be very pretty in The Museum (level 3)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's one thing to time sways or parries to attacks and another to have to spot sweep attacks in a fraction of a second and respond accordingly.

The level of block strings you're expected to know make this feel like a fighting game and not a brawler.

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

Lobok posted:

Grinding in Sifu

Really what you want to do is beat lvl 1 really well. Then in level 2 just continue till you hit 5,000xp, and permanently unlock something then die. Rinse and repeat for stage 2, then in stage 3 unlock a permanent upgrade and etc etc.

Lobok posted:

It's one thing to time sways or parries to attacks and another to have to spot sweep attacks in a fraction of a second and respond accordingly.

The level of block strings you're expected to know make this feel like a fighting game and not a brawler.

Most of the time you can interrupt the enemy attack string with a quick punch.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

What the gently caress they unlocked Sifu early, then they locked it again and I can't play it on the day it's meant to be out? What in the absolute gently caress...

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Lobok posted:

Yeah, it's good

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DropTheAnvil posted:

Most of the time you can interrupt the enemy attack string with a quick punch.

Hm, maybe I'll try that.

JBP posted:

What the gently caress they unlocked Sifu early, then they locked it again and I can't play it on the day it's meant to be out? What in the absolute gently caress...

Yeah their launch has been a big technical gently caress-up. The subreddit has so many people who paid for early release and got screwed in some way.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Mode 7 posted:

Yeah, it's good

Comparing comments like that to what I see from negative reviewers is giving me such an itch and I think Sifu just unlocked on PSN

Like, with the reviews conflicting in the ways I'm seeing, for these reasons, the game has to be amazing and I am about to play it and I haven't felt this solid about a purchase without a history for me before playing it for a while

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I still can't wrap my head around the block system. I played the club level probably 20 times until I beat it.....at age 70. So basically I need an entire fresh run. The orange moves mean I need to exclusively dodge, right? Parrys don't always work? I have to make a lot of usage of LB + directional?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

What I've found is that you really only need to use two of the Guard directions. Doing Guard + Up will avoid sweep/low attacks, but you can use Guard + Down for the rest. The game seems to give you a direction to get out of the way automatically. If you practice with nobody around just pressing Guard + Down your character doesn't just constantly duck but goes through the side motions as well.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
Sifu is amazing and feels like a modern God Hand. Here's what I've learned so far:

The Guard Up/Down system is a pain until you realize that it's actually guard+up, and guard + any other direction. It's a lot less thumb movement if you use left or right for your duck, and super useful on enemies that mix up high and low attacks.

Everyone I've seen play, me included, gets too aggressive and throws too many punches at the start. Slow down, react and counter, throw dudes around more. The game gives a lot of audio feedback that's drowned out if you're constantly pummeling someone's guard.

Love this game.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The advice to not let yourself get surrounded is 100% legit...

...but if you do find yourself in the middle of a bunch of attacks from several directions and you bob and weave and parry them all with your own attacks mixed in it is so amazing.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

That duo right before you face Sean, man. Goddamn

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
You probably have talked about it before but I just played Shaolin VS Wutang and I am really sad this did not turn out better. They nailed the atmosphere, have a great announcer, everything looks good and then it plays worse than the first Mortal Kombat. Just goes to show how hard it is to make a compelling BnU.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Tim Whatley posted:

That duo right before you face Sean, man. Goddamn

There should be a weapon in the back right of the room (relative to how you enter) and if you have chosen any of the weapon perks from a shrine along the way in your run it should fully take care of at least one of them.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Came back from playing to say holy poo poo this game was made for me. I have actually been describing the mechanics of this game as something I've wanted in the past. Also, I do not agree with people calling it a roguelike or roguelite, even if it was devs calling it that. I think that's kind of shortsighted of the endgame here. When all the moves are permanently unlocked, that doesn't replace anything you start with. Everything you unlock fills out the kit you started with. The bonuses you get are in the same place every time, and the cost for them are the same every time. This is totally deterministic at the end and it's just something to get better at, as a beatemup. It's a trick, they're tricking people into playing what could be the best straight up 3D beatemup of all time, and when I mean straight up 3D beatemup I don't include the Devil May Crys and Bayonettas out there. No, I'm talkin Oni and Fighting Force and The Warriors. It could be the best just because that genre died and this is like dracula's fuckin resurrection here

Anyways in that amount of time, with no sleep the night before and while very high the whole time, I managed to get past the club and get my skill to a point that I can do poo poo that makes me feel like a big man about it

Took a vid of stage 1 in under 15 including the boss as what I just did right now to show potential players what hyjinx you too can experience causing to happen due to your own button presses in the practice of just a few hours if you aren't a professional video games journalist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ7W2PzsHgI

If anyone ever thought they'd like a yakuza game that was just the parts where you run through the boss dungeons, but they know they need better combat for that but they want that just with better combat

behold, it's that, starring Pai Chan from Virtua Fighter

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lobok posted:

The advice to not let yourself get surrounded is 100% legit...

...but if you do find yourself in the middle of a bunch of attacks from several directions and you bob and weave and parry them all with your own attacks mixed in it is so amazing.

My favourite thing about this game is fighting like it's a Kung Fu movie. Six guys on every side? Slide over a table and wreck the one that follows fast. Run into a doorway and quickly take down the first two guys that run after you. Stand next to a pile of improvised weapons and throw them at people.

Game owns. Kung Fu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I played more and got into museum under age 70

This game rules and it has immediately cemented itself in the hall of personal classics that I'll revisit just because, like assault suit leynos