Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

As long as games keep giving me buff beatdown girls, I'll keep playing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

As long as games keep giving me buff beatdown girls, I'll keep playing them.

:hai:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Midnight fight express is on sale and looks pretty drat good. I literally just learned about it a moment ago, what say ye Beatemup thread?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1390410/Midnight_Fight_Express/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Midnight fight express is on sale and looks pretty drat good. I literally just learned about it a moment ago, what say ye Beatemup thread?

I only played like 30 minutes of the Demo before the release, so take my opinion with a massive pile of salt but I thought it was extremely clunky and the combat didn't feel good at all.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Similar question, Okinawa Rush is on a pretty deep discount and it's been on my wishlist for a while. I remember the demo feeling a little awkward or maybe a bit too fast. Anyone have an opinion on it?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/777670/Okinawa_Rush/

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I was looking forward to it but after having played the demo I cooled on it immensely. It felt like it needed a ton more polish than what was there, everything felt just a little bit... off.
I didn't hate it but it was enough to make me not really want to rush out and purchase it - I've got enough in my backlog.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Trick Question posted:

Similar question, Okinawa Rush is on a pretty deep discount and it's been on my wishlist for a while. I remember the demo feeling a little awkward or maybe a bit too fast. Anyone have an opinion on it?

I bought it a bit ago but haven't really had a chance to play it. I was having some difficulty with my controller and couldn't figure out if it was on my end or the game's and haven't gone back to it.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Release date for River City Girls 2 finally revealed!

Good news, it's next week! Game drops digitally on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PC via Steam.
Perhaps worryingly it only specifies that it arrives in "North America and Europe" and as someone sitting in Australia that's making me raise an eyebrow but I suppose I'll find out soon enough.

Given that they've mentioned enhanced movesets and combat as one of the features, I'm optimistic that this will polish out some of the rough spots that RCG1 had.
I've got some leave off work just after it drops so I'm looking forward to seeing if I can rope my wife into some couch co-op with it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

Release date for River City Girls 2 finally revealed!

Good news, it's next week! Game drops digitally on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and PC via Steam.
Perhaps worryingly it only specifies that it arrives in "North America and Europe" and as someone sitting in Australia that's making me raise an eyebrow but I suppose I'll find out soon enough.

It's because the game is already out in Japan.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I really hope they make the enemies less damage spongey this time around. I’d rather have more enemies that are a bit easier to knock down.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

At the very least they've decided to put actual online co-op in the game and not rely on Steam's virtual couch co-op. (Which is not great for this sort of game)

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Trick Question posted:

it's fun but as mode 7 said, it's very unpolished and 'off' feeling. it's loose in a way that's like... jank?
definitely try the demo out, it's the same as the main game overall in feel. ultimately it ended up bugging me way too much to really dive in deep but i did get some of the endings with the chars.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Thanks for the advice, 'janky' is definitely the feel I got from the demo. Just like... jumps feel a little off? Can't quite explain it. Probably just save my money for the time being.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
It sounds like River City Girls 2 was released early in some territories and that's where we're getting reviews from, but online isn't working yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD5Yc9SAYac

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

River City Girls 2 is a loving 30fps locked game. :wtc:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Switch version seems to have some pretty nasty load times between areas so I think I'll grab it on PC.
Though I might hold off for a few days to see if they slip out a patch to fix stuff like the 30fps lock, I've got enough stuff to play on my plate at the moment so I'm happy to wait a bit.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm completely baffled at how you can even think that a 30fps locked arcade game is even acceptable in TYOOL 2022.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

30fps... on a pixel art beatemup. :cmon:

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

PC version of River City Girls 2 has had a beta patch released to set the frame rate to 60fps as the 30fps lock is apparently unintentional. Wayforward are looking at consoles soon and have confirmed they’ll roll out a patch.

That’s probably enough to get me to pick up the PC version at least- I’ll post impressions once I get around to it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'd like to get into RCG2 but I could never understand how those games are supposed to be played.

Are you supposed to grind in them? All of the systems seem to encourage you to grind.

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

I didn't need to grind in the first one but that's also cuz I played in co-op so we never died for real and got hit with the money loss on dying, feels like it snowballs into needing to grind if you die a few times otherwise.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

A Cup of Ramen posted:

I didn't need to grind in the first one but that's also cuz I played in co-op so we never died for real and got hit with the money loss on dying, feels like it snowballs into needing to grind if you die a few times otherwise.

Grinding is pretty pointless in RCG1- the game is roughest at the start, then once you can finally buy some stats and moves the game's difficulty quickly drops off a cliff. Items only give stat buffs the first time you use them unlike other River City games, so you don't need to chow down on a bunch of sushi for stats- they only give healing and secondary effects after the first go. Accessories are so small a bonus they're almost pointless except for two- the one that gives a very low chance to instantly kill a non-boss (enemies can be a bit hit-spongey, so you'll definitely notice this saving you some grief even at 1% per hit) and the one that gives you extra invuln after being knocked down, which I'm pretty sure is given by story so you don't even need to buy it.

The Dojo can be a major money sink, but frankly 2/3s of the moves you buy in there are garbage. Buy your character's full light combo, the down+heavy launcher, the neutral special, and the air/forward special. Maybe skip the up-special and the grab special, and definitely skip the up+heavy, the down-special, and especially the air throw special. Just use an FAQ to figure out which moves those are.

From what I understand, a lot of this hasn't changed in RCG2.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anything in RCG2 have iframes? The jump maybe?
Is there really no way to cancel your attacks?

I'm not sure how to constantly get hit by mooks coming up behind me while I'm combo-ing. None of the tricks I learned in SoR4 seem to be working.

ReVerve
Jul 13, 2001

Select and make your first pick.

Biscuit Hider

Jack Trades posted:

Does anything in RCG2 have iframes? The jump maybe?
Is there really no way to cancel your attacks?

I'm not sure how to constantly get hit by mooks coming up behind me while I'm combo-ing. None of the tricks I learned in SoR4 seem to be working.

I-frames are not generally present. There might me a few moves with them, maybe Marian's dodge (tested a little and it seems to). But that is accessed from holding block so you can't cancel into it. Jank wave dash with that move if you hold a direction then input the dodge.

Cancel's are kind of character and move specific. For example Provie can cancel specials into other specials. I think all 2H's can be jump cancelled and in general one can go from Normal > Heavy > Special.

So defence in these games is more about positioning and crowd control. 8H launches opponents far away. 2H launches opponents near. 6H knocks away. 5H knocks down near. 5N,J is a chasing launch that can be used to get out of a bad spot at times. So start cutting your strings short when needed with moves that control the opponents position. Unlock their kits

Also the tea shop in the mall is all +AG drinks. Up that AG so your walk speed is better.

I don't think I've died yet in RCG2.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah Provie is pretty much the ultimate "can't touch this" character. Her specials seem vulnerable at first but once you realize you can cancel into any of her other specials you're suddenly able to fly all around the screen on a whim.

Overall the game is great. Once you unlock full kits you can do a lot of very flashy and satisfying combos and there's a good amount of variation between the characters to keep things fresh.

I do wish the enemies were a bit more intimidating in the back half of the game bc it starts to feel a little easy.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 23, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's been 2 months since they said "patch incoming" and they still haven't released the 60fps fix.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Oh wow, I hadn't been following it since I ended up playing through on Steam using the beta 60fps branch they put out and finished up in very early January. Disappointing that they've apparently just left the game as-is. Going and reviewing the Steam discussion boards they have made a change though - for unknown reasons a number of locations outside the US had the price in their local currency raised almost 200%. :v:

Hi-Fi RUSH is more character action than beat 'em up but it's scratched an itch for me this month, there's not been too much else on my radar beat 'em up wise at the moment outside like, Like A Dragon: Ishin, I guess?

Has anyone played Brok the Investigator? It's a hybrid point 'n click adventure and beat 'em up which seems tailor made to my interests so I definitely wanted to get on to that at some time this year.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I am looking forward to Wanted: Dead releasing on Tuesday but that's also more character action than a traditional beatemup. Paprium is also allegedly® coming to next-gen consoles and PC at some point.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How old is the "jumps have iframes" mechanic that games like Streets of Rage 4 and Devil May Cry have?
I'm just curious which game it originated from.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I've neglected this thread for a while, my apologies. Some upcoming stuff:

Firstly, the Double Dragon Gaiden: Rise of the Dragons trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVvlBr6hVXA

It's going to have roguelike elements and optional permadeath! Per a Gematsu article that I assume is just regurgitating a press pack:

quote:

Spend cash at the end of each stage to unlock powerful upgrades for your chosen characters or choose to save up your cash. Experiment with different duos, pursue alternate builds for your fighters through upgrades, and change the order in which they challenge the city’s sinister gang leaders. Should a session end in defeat, players can convert any remaining cash into tokens usable to permanently unlock extra characters and bonuses in between sessions, making every battle serve a purpose.

Hmm. Hmmmmmmm. It's being developed by a Singaporean dev studio called Secret Base that I've never heard of, but they made Streets of Red which is apparently also a roguelike beat em up? Site is here: https://doubledragongaiden.com/

Secondly, weirdly, there's a beat 'em up based on pulp superhero The Phantom coming in 2024, thus making the tiny handful of people who give a poo poo about The Phantom (I'm one of them) happy.
It's from Australian studio Art of Play, whose prior output seems to consist mostly of licensed HTML5 games. Encouraging.
It certainly looks faithful to the art style of the comics, at least!

Site for the game is here but there's not much in the way of content yet: https://thephantomgame.com/

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Sounds cool, interested in both! Wouldn't call myself a fan of The Phantom but I do think pulp comics deserve more love.

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Mode 7 posted:

Secondly, weirdly, there's a beat 'em up based on pulp superhero The Phantom coming in 2024, thus making the tiny handful of people who give a poo poo about The Phantom (I'm one of them) happy.

Holy crap, please be good! (I am also one of that tiny handful)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.gematsu.com/2023/07/the-ninja-saviors-return-of-the-warriors-coming-to-pc-on-july-24

Hell yes this game is sick, the remake is so good.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

I'd be curious to see a port/remake of the original, purely because it was so unusual.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh it's already out for PS4 and Switch? Came out before this thread even started.

I remember playing it a bit back in the day but haven't thought about it since then. Looks even cooler than I remember.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lobok posted:

Oh it's already out for PS4 and Switch? Came out before this thread even started.

I remember playing it a bit back in the day but haven't thought about it since then. Looks even cooler than I remember.

It does actually look cooler, they redrew the entire game. They're just did an amazing job matching what you think it looked like. There are some comparison shots here: https://www.natsumeatari.co.jp/tnwoa/topic.html

It plays a lot better than the original too. Like the new moves are cool, but it just feels way less clunky. They even let you juggle enemies now. Some of the enemies and bosses are tougher and have new attacks. The flying drone enemies are completely new. The local co-op is new too, original was single player only.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

River City Girls 2 finally released the 60 fps fix patch a month ago.

EDIT: Why the gently caress, in a game where you have to grind to unlock your moveset, would you have higher difficulties actively prolong the grind?
What kind of moron thought it was a good idea?

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 12, 2023

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Since I didn't see it mentioned earlier, Shredder's Revenge DLC got announced. Dropping sometime later this year, it will involve time travel shenanigans, a new game mode (maybe a mini campaign?), new skins for the turtles, and at least one new character.

Lead Game Designer posted:

Gemus also detailed what makes Usagi different from the rest of the roster, revealing that he’s the best aerial fighter on the team and focuses on keeping enemies airborne. Usagi is also the only character on the team who can double-jump, which combines nicely with his ability to perform his full combo string in the air, which should make him play very differently from anyone on the roster.
Sounds like a bit more technical gameplay, might interest some people who haven't played the base game yet.

Zero_Grade fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jul 13, 2023

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Jennika is probably too niche of a character to put in for a game that largely follows the cartoon/early 90s stuff but I think Karai would be a decent pick for the 2nd DLC character. Unless they put the Fugitoid in or something lol.

If they do go with IDW stuff then I'd def want to see Jennika as a character and Old Hob as a new boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I keep meaning to jump into the IDW comics run at some point, it's apparently pretty good stuff.

Shredder's Revenge didn't really grab me once I'd played through the campaign a couple of times but the DLC sounds like it'll do enough to pull me back in for another couple of clears.

I've not played much in the way of beat 'em ups since RCG2 early this year. There's couple of things I keep eyeing off picking up at some point but 2023 has been a pretty stacked year for gaming so until I can live the dream and just quit my job to play videogames all day I don't know when I'm going to get to all this stuff!