Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I bet D is to blame for all evolutionary paths ultimately ending up sexy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Read volume 11 and, well really understand why the focus on Julius. A character that even the anime people know dies. Normally all the human stories tell something about the world that kumoko just doesnt know, but here, it kinda didn't? What is the big reveal of this book? That he got that 1 hit kill sword? That he found potimas fishy? Seriously what is the reveal?

Anyway the sophia parts, those are pretty much in line with the webnovel, just shorter. At this part she grows up and goes bonkers in that school. I kinda like what the LN did here.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A question, is the web novel finished? Or is still being serialized? If it's still being serialized, do we know when the author plan to end it?

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Turin Turambar posted:

A question, is the web novel finished? Or is still being serialized? If it's still being serialized, do we know when the author plan to end it?

https://rtd.moe/novels/kumo-desu-ga-nani-ka/

WN isnt finished yet. I think its in its final arc though, feels close to the end. But it hasnt had a new chapter since 12 februari. Authors prolly focussed on writing another LN and only when that is finished we might get some more chapters there.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Captain_duck posted:

Read volume 11 and, well really understand why the focus on Julius. A character that even the anime people know dies. Normally all the human stories tell something about the world that kumoko just doesnt know, but here, it kinda didn't? What is the big reveal of this book? That he got that 1 hit kill sword? That he found potimas fishy? Seriously what is the reveal?

Anyway the sophia parts, those are pretty much in line with the webnovel, just shorter. At this part she grows up and goes bonkers in that school. I kinda like what the LN did here.

I think we can probably stop spoiling discussion about light novel 11 since it's been almost 2 weeks since it came out.

I only see really two plot important parts to the book.

The first one is the sword that you talked about there. That is presumably some sort of Checkov's gun and will pop up later. If you go look at the scene where Julius gets dusted in the anime he does have it on him at the time but it's nowhere to be seen afterwards. So it's possible that White and team were looking to recover that sword.

Shun does get given a holy sword of some sort in volume 3 as he is fleeing the capital during the coup. We will probably see in the anime if it's the same sword that was on Julius when he was dusted. We don't really know as light novel readers if that's the case currently.

In line with that we also learned that Ariel and White were protecting Julius. We don't know why exactly but this is the second time that they have protected him, the first being in the fights against the Remnant of the Nightmare. My personal guess is that they needed the sword to be recovered by the hero for some of their machinations. Perhaps it was necessary to break the system, perhaps it's necessary to kill Potimas. I'm not sure.

We expand on a few other things that have already been established in earlier books. For instance that the children who were kidnapped are being used as brains in Potimas's Gloria's and cyborgs.

We see the scene where the phoenix feather was recovered and it's more or less exactly like Shun predicted it was. It appears that Julius's compatriate was not lying about that. I guess that goes to throw off some of the suspicion folks have had toward him after he was the only one to survive the fight with White.

Overall I generally agree with you that the book was kind of a waste of my time. The web novel readers and people who can read Japanese have told me that it's some master stroke in setting up things that will pay off in a book or two, but I think they kind of have their heads up their asses.

I think pretty much everything that was in this book would have been better spent interspersed in a main line plot. It would have been far more palatable.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 4, 2021

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Captain_duck posted:

WN isnt finished yet. I think its in its final arc though, feels close to the end. But it hasnt had a new chapter since 12 februari. Authors prolly focussed on writing another LN and only when that is finished we might get some more chapters there.

worth pointing out that there was a ~2 year gap last time he stopped

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!

Nitrousoxide posted:

I think we can probably stop spoiling discussion about light novel 11 since it's been almost 2 weeks since it came out.

I only see really two plot important parts to the book.

The first one is the sword that you talked about there. That is presumably some sort of Checkov's gun and will pop up later. If you go look at the scene where Julius gets dusted in the anime he does have it on him at the time but it's nowhere to be seen afterwards. So it's possible that White and team were looking to recover that sword.

Shun does get given a holy sword of some sort in volume 3 as he is fleeing the capital during the coup. We will probably see in the anime if it's the same sword that was on Julius when he was dusted. We don't really know as light novel readers if that's the case currently.

In line with that we also learned that Ariel and White were protecting Julius. We don't know why exactly but this is the second time that they have protected him, the first being in the fights against the Remnant of the Nightmare. My personal guess is that they needed the sword to be recovered by the hero for some of their machinations. Perhaps it was necessary to break the system, perhaps it's necessary to kill Potimas. I'm not sure.

We expand on a few other things that have already been established in earlier books. For instance that the children who were kidnapped are being used as brains in Potimas's Gloria's and cyborgs.

We see the scene where the phoenix feather was recovered and it's more or less exactly like Shun predicted it was. It appears that Julius's compatriate was not lying about that. I guess that goes to throw off some of the suspicion folks have had toward him after he was the only one to survive the fight with White.

Overall I generally agree with you that the book was kind of a waste of my time. The web novel readers and people who can read Japanese have told me that it's some master stroke in setting up things that will pay off in a book or two, but I think they kind of have their heads up their asses.

I think pretty much everything that was in this book would have been better spent interspersed in a main line plot. It would have been far more palatable.

Oh wow you noticed a lot of things. Im a WN reader but i forget a lot of things. Definitely didn't notice anything major in this book.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

"Master stroke" is an exaggeration, but from what I know of future books, there's worthwhile content in here that feels entirely worthless now. It's a problem these books have avoided up to this point. They generally handle setup and payoff better. You get a whole lot of setup at the same time as you're getting payoff for stuff that was previously set up. This book is basically all set up and no payofff unless you really like Julius. And, honestly, while some folks might grow to like him after this book, who actually liked Julius before it?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Captain_duck posted:

With Shiro reaching godhood and some hints with D where she mentions there are other gods in other planets, I was wondering if the series escalation of power is going to continue...

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

With Shiro reaching godhood and some hints with D where she mentions there are other gods in other planets, I was wondering if the series escalation of power is going to continue...

I mean we haven't even touched the plothook for White freeing herself from the thrall of D, which may entail exploring the pantheon.

Now whether the author actually wants to write that story or not, who knows. That could be an entirely new series of novels.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

New OP and ED out. No visual spoilers in ED, but it's not translated so I presume the lyrics are spoilers.

OP notes:

Beach episode!

Puppets look suitably creepy

Baby Sophia and Mera in background

Ariel/Kumoko Fight. I imagine no anime only watchers will think they're the same person now.

Light Wyrm Fei

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Show's probably only an episode away from Ariel blowing Kumoko up. 2 tops.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

'Using your brother's soul to fuel his machinations'. I see what you did there, Potimas.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I always love when religion isn't the bad guy in anime/video games because of how it fucks with so many people's ability to see the actual bad guy as long as they're opposed to the Church. (Which, of course, isn't to say Dustin is a good guy. But he's certainly more of a good guy than Potimas.)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Moving Kin control to this episode was a good idea I think since it and Hugo's abilities he gets from his Ruler of Lust title for mind control reinforce eachother for the viewer.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

A neat almost entirely spoiler free (the one page that has any spoilers has been tagged) summary of all the main and supporting characters up to this point.

(Very slight spoiler for a character introduced in Vol 11, but who’s not been fleshed out yet.

Source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/KumoDesu/comments/lw1fe0/ln_spoilers_again_if_you_havent_read_ln_110_at/

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

So, what's the consensus on volume 11- should I just read the Sophia interludes or go for the whole thing for the chekov's guns? Also, anyone know what's going on with the manga?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It's not that it's bad but it feels really wheel spinny. It's like those packs of "honey style sauce" that you get with biscuits at KFC where you want honey and its there on the ingredients list but it's like 1% of what's in the packet.

Volume 11 of So I'm A Spider So What now in stores!*

*contains less than 1% spider.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Eyre Kneed posted:

So, what's the consensus on volume 11- should I just read the Sophia interludes or go for the whole thing for the chekov's guns? Also, anyone know what's going on with the manga?

It's good, but as I said up above, this is probably the first time a Kumo Desu Ga book is all setup and no payoff.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Interesting. Going by the preview for tomorrow's anime episode, they're doing the encounter with baby vamp before killing the puppets or Mother.

I imagine this means the three attempts to kidnap her will be interspersed with those fights. Seems like that will mean a less bumpy transition, but it will do weird things to the Shun side assassination plot in the same episode.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Yeah, the last episode was the beginning of volume 4, and the next episode is the end of volume 4. It's about time they introduced Merazophis, and set up the idea that Sophia serves 'Master'. Then maybe 3 minutes later we'll jump to baby Sophia and find out she's already a vampire.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The anime has been trying to align themes and characters between the human and kumoko sides.

By moving around Sophia to an earlier episode here they are aligning the coup with the mother fight as well as the introduction of Sophia in both timelines at the same time. I know Sophia was technically introduced earlier but she wasn't given a name and the anime watchers didn't learn anything about her other than her self-professed reincarnation status.

If the coup is split into two episodes they could also align the completion for the mother fight with the escape from the capitol for next episode.

Then, the episode after that you could have the talky human episode in the labyrinth line up with the beach episode with D for kumoko.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

The joke with Felmina is that she blends way too well in to the background of the story.

...which is why it's funny that when she appeared in the episode, it took me a minute to remember who she was.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

8one6
May 20, 2012

I just finished the episode and yeah. Maybe they're saving some of the "frames change more than once a second" for next week.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

8one6 posted:

I just finished the episode and yeah. Maybe they're saving some of the "frames change more than once a second" for next week.

Puppet Taratect fight seems to be next week based on the episode title so I hope it is good, but don't get your hopes up on studios saving their best for later episodes I learnt my lesson on that from the One Piece anime.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
LN11 elephant in the room: to help Ariel, White devised a scheme to save the world by extracting skills from everyone's souls. This will prove fatal for people with a lot of skills. The person with the most skills is Ariel. She says in one of the earlier novels that her soul is on the verge of death, so it doesn't sound like she's going to be especially resilient to the process.

Great plan White, great plan.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I am 99% certain that Ariel will have a bad end in the novel. She might even free Sariel and find that she's very disappointed in her for forsaking the world to free her (adopted?) mother figure, since it sounds like Sariel took up her current role of her own volition to prevent the destruction of the world.

I guess a lot of it depends on how competent White can get with conjuring before the endgame. D is quite proficient with handling souls so there might be something that White can do to save Ariel.

I also had a thought recently that the connection D made with White, which gives her a certain amount of control over her, is very akin to that of Mother and Kumoko. Given how Kumoko ultimately defeated Mother by attacking her soul directly from outside the system through their kin-control connection, I wonder if that same tactic will be applied to D, using White's connection to her through her naming to attack D's soul directly.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

LN11 elephant in the room: to help Ariel, White devised a scheme to save the world by extracting skills from everyone's souls. This will prove fatal for people with a lot of skills. The person with the most skills is Ariel. She says in one of the earlier novels that her soul is on the verge of death, so it doesn't sound like she's going to be especially resilient to the process.

Great plan White, great plan.
The plan is to kill just an absolute shitton of people and send the MA energy generated from peeling skills from their souls directly towards fixing the world instead of towards maintaining the System. The solution to the issue you're raising seems simple enough to me. Don't let Ariel die in the coming battles.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I am 99% certain that Ariel will have a bad end in the novel. She might even free Sariel and find that she's very disappointed in her for forsaking the world to free her (adopted?) mother figure, since it sounds like Sariel took up her current role of her own volition to prevent the destruction of the world.
But the world is dying regardless. The System can't maintain it anymore, recall. Ariel may be in this purely to save Sariel, but this isn't a matter of forsaking the world. The System needs to come down or not only will everyone die (and thus everyone already in danger of having their souls destroyed will regardless), but the world will be gone as well.

The motivation may be impure, but the goals are aligned.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Adder Moray posted:

The plan is to kill just an absolute shitton of people and send the MA energy generated from peeling skills from their souls directly towards fixing the world instead of towards maintaining the System. The solution to the issue you're raising seems simple enough to me. Don't let Ariel die in the coming battles.

The plan is to remove stats and skills from the system entirely so it can directly use the energy it wastes on that stuff to restore the world. They'll be forcibly removed from everyone who has them, and the more skills and stats you've got, the worse it'll be for you. That's what's going to not just kill so many people, but outright destroy their souls. White was worried that Gülie would figure it out and try to stop her.

You're right that they still need to go to war since otherwise the steps above wouldn't get the job done.

Btw I foolishly attributed this key info to LN11, but that meant it wouldn't have been so pointless. It's actually in the last couple of chapters of LN10.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

How do folks think White/Ariel will ultimately break the System after they feed it enough energy to fix the world? The hero sword? One of those god items D left behind when the Maid god took her away. White stuffed a few into her dimensional storage but didn't tell us what she'd found. Something else that's not an item like just a really complicated conjuring?

8one6
May 20, 2012

There's the obvious heroic route of sacrificing her (and/or D's) godhood to fuel the MA energy required.

There's the comedy option of doing that but also finding a way to reincarnate everyone who dies/she likes back in Japan.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

The plan is to remove stats and skills from the system entirely so it can directly use the energy it wastes on that stuff to restore the world. They'll be forcibly removed from everyone who has them, and the more skills and stats you've got, the worse it'll be for you. That's what's going to not just kill so many people, but outright destroy their souls. White was worried that Gülie would figure it out and try to stop her.

You're right that they still need to go to war since otherwise the steps above wouldn't get the job done.

Btw I foolishly attributed this key info to LN11, but that meant it wouldn't have been so pointless. It's actually in the last couple of chapters of LN10.

There probably aren't a whole lot more people than those living on Gulie's peninsula who are going to have their souls completely destroyed in the process. After all, ripping out all the skills and stats is what happens to the souls on death anyways. Dustin is probably 50/50 on actually disappearing though. However the instant death toll is looking higher than what Gulie is expecting since we know lots of the reincarnaters are currently showing up to Oka as dying from skill stripping.

I think the looming soul destruction issue is the key part of Kumoko's whole work to understand the system's "code". Areil, Oka, and lots of the reincarnaters have big soul issues coming up. We know that as a god(lol) she can see souls and has seen the infestation of Oka's soul, also we know that parallel minds can fuse with souls. We also know that she is helping Ariel but that her true focus is that she'll burn the world to save her adoptive spider moms.

Since D purposefully created the system with bugs and other malicious embeds, there's undoubtedly several ways to save the world. There's almost certainly a heroic route where Gulie or some other god nobly sacrifices their divinity. There's also a pure demonic route where someone just goes and kills almost all the people without end until the system fixes itself. White is almost certainly going to find one of the other more hidden ways though.

We know that all the Ruler title granting skills actually give you access to MA energy. We also know that you can pile on lots of those skills and also increase your Divinity level itself. The difficulty in getting these skills as well as the personality glitches they come with make them undesirable for most people to get. However, they seem fairly easy for Reincarnaters to get, either through their regular activities or through burning through their massive skill point pools. So we already have a back door built into the system where MA energy can be fed from the system into individuals directly, while pushing said individuals towards divinity. Almost the people that White gives anywhere where near half a poo poo about have access to or already have that particular skill class(sorry puppet sisters).

The solution to the problem seems to be, outside fun toys D left in the house for White, leading towards some sort of hacking the system to use MA energy to sustain/deify the people White wants to save while they have all their skills ripped away. Sustaining around 30ish people probably isn't going to take enough MA energy to add up to even a rounding error on the energy to fix the planet.

The reincarnaters are all almost certainly getting saved, if only because Oka really wants it and White isn't going to dick her over like that. Ariel is also a definite save. Mero gets another definite lifeline if only because Vampy will through the mother of all tantrums if White doesn't. The Puppet Sisters and Sariel are also near definite tag alongs. The cool kid dragons with names who make it through the war probably also get tickets. After that, it's probably just a question of if your soul can handle the pain of getting your skills ripped out.

Given that we know time fuckery is already in play with both White having access to hyperbolic time chambers and 5 years in the system only being 6 months on Earth, everyone is probably getting a free trip to Japan if they want it. Either getting their old bodies back or whatnot for the Japanese people and direct port or reincarnation options for the System natives. The big questions there being whether Sophia wants to go back, if Katia keeps or flips genders again, and if White takes over the the Wakaba persona.

So right now we're looking at the ultimate solution for White to save her peeps as using system back doors to strengthen souls, using god powers to direct reincarnation, or some form of Shun's revival skill. Shun's revival skill apparently already being something White can do as alluded to when talking about Shun saving them some trouble by doing it.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
New to the light novels - are things going to get back on track after Giant UFO Battle with the Big Anime Boys and Girls? That volume nearly killed all interest I had in the series except for the Shiraori ascension at the end - and now I see the next volume is almost entirely dedicated to Oni lad? Am I wrong in feeling like the past chapters suddenly went full scorched earth and killed all the stakes I was thinking of for present chapters? I know Shun is a bit plain but I was enjoying the pacing of his story and his interactions with Katia and Fei, and how revelations in each timeline would show in the either. Now we've got him MIA right after maxing Taboo and the spider gets to go on a wild romp

Also is it ever plainly explained why White rarely talks other than for narrative convenience?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Zodack posted:

New to the light novels - are things going to get back on track after Giant UFO Battle with the Big Anime Boys and Girls? That volume nearly killed all interest I had in the series except for the Shiraori ascension at the end - and now I see the next volume is almost entirely dedicated to Oni lad? Am I wrong in feeling like the past chapters suddenly went full scorched earth and killed all the stakes I was thinking of for present chapters? I know Shun is a bit plain but I was enjoying the pacing of his story and his interactions with Katia and Fei, and how revelations in each timeline would show in the either. Now we've got him MIA right after maxing Taboo and the spider gets to go on a wild romp

Also is it ever plainly explained why White rarely talks other than for narrative convenience?

Volume eight is definitely one of the weaker ones. It does set up volume nine which is probably the best one in the series however. At least so far. I will say that the resolution to Wrath is a pretty amusing one. If you go look at the op for this thread after you reach it it should be pretty obvious when it's referring to.

If you were hoping for more human centric stuff I think you'll be a bit disappointed. The next book that has a significant human point of view is volume 11.

I think once you finish volume nine you will understand why White doesn't talk very much.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Keep reading, there is some focus on Oni boy but there is a decent mix of spider party in there as well. Not so many humans though. If you are bored with it after 9 you’re probably good to check out of the series

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I'm on LN7 right now and dumb UFO stuff has gotten me 10000% on board for whatever else happens.

I think I already know the spoiler you're talking about, but right now, the books have directly established that she has crippling social anxiety and just the thought of a conversation petrifies her.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zodack posted:

I think the split narrative got out of hand, and kind of wish it got reined in more so that the two timelines met nowish instead of several volumes ago. All of novel 11 would have felt better if we treated following Julius like Ned Stark. The UFO battle got a bit too big, would have been better to tone that poo poo down a little bit to maybe just a reactivated subterranean base, but I really like the sci-fi swerve even if it isn't executed as well as it should be.

The thing with Shun is that 11 shows us that Julius is the same way, but I find Julius way more interesting and that he actually pulls off the peacenick warrior. Maybe because Julius' supporting cast is several notches below Katia and Fei, so I'm not thinking that Julius should shut the gently caress up so I can hear what the smart people are going to say/do.

As for the stakes, they get way better and recontextualize everything happening to Shun in a good way. I do hope that either White can pull herself together for an actual symposium, or get Ariel to do it for her, so Oka's relationships aren't permanently severed though. Potimas really is the rattest of rat bastards.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

Can someone caught up with the WN or Japanese LN spoil something for me? When does White start calling Ariel “Granny”? It’ll break my heart if the answer is never. :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Volume eight is definitely one of the weaker ones. It does set up volume nine which is probably the best one in the series however. At least so far. I will say that the resolution to Wrath is a pretty amusing one. If you go look at the op for this thread after you reach it it should be pretty obvious when it's referring to.

Got through Volumes 8 and 9 last night, definitely got a good chuckle out of the resolution to Wrath.

Volume 8 felt like it didn't even happen, I finished it and went "oh okay, moving on". Nine on the other hand was pretty strong. The Wrath chapters and conflict imo were fairly uninteresting but everything else was hitting the cadence I was hoping for.