Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Apparently it's not just the WN, the last volume of the LN will be released a week from now.

rtd posted:

Special update on 2022-01-01: LN16 is coming out on 2022-01-08 and will be the last in the series. The author is also going complete the WN soon and has started releasing new chapters at a rapid rate. I’m currently on holiday and won’t be home until Sunday the 2nd January. My current plan is to release a translation for the next chapter on Monday morning (GMT).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
so we can expect the official translation to wrap up sometime in 2030 then, by the rate they're going

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Guess I'll read this all and try to dodge spoilers for the Light Novel finale.

drat it's rough though

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 1, 2022

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I expect the finale to involve (pure speculation but spoilered anyways) saving the world to require killing Sariel, because that seems like a very D-ish thing to do. To the point where it was the first thing I thought of when they talked about the plan.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wasn't that explicitly what's going on? I could be wrong since it's been a long time but the way I remember it the Ariel/Kumoko faction want to destroy the system to save Sariel, which will kill most of the world, while the pope/dragon faction want to kill Sariel and replace her with Kuro to preserve the system and world.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I don't remember that second part, I'm just up to LN 12 though. I just meant Kumo had internal monologued that she didn't know how to destroy the system, but was sure D would have left a way to do it, and my immediate thought was "D is an enormous jerk, so her 'backdoor' way to shut down the system is probably to kill Sariel."

Bremen fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 2, 2022

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

LOL holy poo poo, the WN ending:

FB 21
White just dies, no new chapters, that's it. No actual ending. The story just stops.

It's been 12 hours since the last chapter was posted, two should have been posted by now. I love this. Just a big middle finger to everyone lol. That takes some balls.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's one way to say "buy the last LN" I guess.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Nitrousoxide posted:

LOL holy poo poo, the WN ending:

FB 21
White just dies, no new chapters, that's it. No actual ending. The story just stops.

It's been 12 hours since the last chapter was posted, two should have been posted by now. I love this. Just a big middle finger to everyone lol. That takes some balls.

Well... That certainly kills my interest in buying the rest of the light novels.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Sindai posted:

That's one way to say "buy the last LN" I guess.

To be fair, it makes sense in the WN universe since White was attacked with the hero sword, which is powered by the general MA energy pool in the WN, and so that killed her, and the system drained everyone to power the sword, killing all the other POV characters except Black, who's a vegetable from his fight with White. No POV's left for the story to be told from. D and Meido don't have POV chapters.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
as much as I like a Sopranos ending, that sounds loving terrible for the amount of buildup this series has. I don't even know what happens outside the official translations really, just read some summaries that I don't remember

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Still no new chapter after that, but it's still listed as being published instead of finished, so maybe....?
Unless the actual final chapter is just D shrugging and moving on to do something else

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Fellis posted:

as much as I like a Sopranos ending, that sounds loving terrible for the amount of buildup this series has. I don't even know what happens outside the official translations really, just read some summaries that I don't remember

Well the upcoming LN will get some sort of epilogue. Though it could just a D chapter saying, "lol everyone died". The chapter list confirms it.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well the upcoming LN will get some sort of epilogue. Though it could just a D chapter saying, "lol everyone died". The chapter list confirms it.

(LN12, but related to the above ending speculation) LN12 starts and ends with "Observations by Future Historians" chapters, so regardless of whether the WN is actually ending this way or not it doesn't seem like a kill-em-all ending is in the cards for the LN unless Okina Baba wants to just completely disregard said chapters.

EDIT: Actually, on a reread of said chapters, I misremembered there being a mention that Shun was involved in the events after the Human-Demon War, but it just mentions his writings. So I suppose it's not impossible that, as speculated, all major viewpoint characters die and it's just a smattering of weaker System Natives who survive to pick up the pieces.

EDIT EDIT: Aaaaaand I forgot that in this speculative scenario the System loses all of its energy which would indeed be a literally-everybody-dies scenario as the planet can't hold together, so yeah those Future Historian chapters would rule that out.

Dartonus fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 3, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm just gonna mention that google lens is really loving cool. A decade or two ago, that would have been decried as ridiculous science fiction, which would never actually work out. Nowadays, you can go to a country where you can't even read the letters, hold your phone in front of some text and have a reasonable idea what's going on.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Just finished LN13. The good news is it that, unlike the last two books, it actually features the main characters. The bad news is it's mostly repeating stuff we already know and retreading parts of the story we already saw from Shun & co's perspective. There is some new info but easily half of it could have been cut without losing anything. Even the climax is padded. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if half of LN14's page count is spent going over the parts of the elf village fight we've already seen.

Nemo Somen
Aug 20, 2013

I get the impression that LN13 is basically summarizing the less obvious details that were mentioned or implied before. I think it's mainly to help the less astute readers, but it does feel a bit weird for an author to pull back the curtains. If the previous two volumes didn't annoy readers, it would probably be fine since it also reiterates the stakes of the plot, too, and preparing for the big showdown coming up.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
If the show gets 2 more seasons, it's gonna come as a major shock to viewers that the character that introduced themselves as an evil god only interfering to entertain themselves is actually pretty drat evil

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tamba posted:

Still no new chapter after that, but it's still listed as being published instead of finished, so maybe....?
Unless the actual final chapter is just D shrugging and moving on to do something else

There's 3 more chapters now. But the final one is called Epilogue, so this might really be the end this time.

e: finished the chapters now. Yeah, this is the end for real this time.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 27, 2022

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Volume 14 is out in English, just FYI. It's a pretty substantial one.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I put off reading 12 because people were giving it poo poo for focusing on the side characters but 14 coming out kind of pushed me to start it and it's decent.

About on par with the first eleven.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

I heard the author torpedoed the ending and it was anticlimactic. Was that the LN or WN?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Eyre Kneed posted:

I heard the author torpedoed the ending and it was anticlimactic. Was that the LN or WN?

WN. The LN is completely different towards the end. Still not great though.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 24, 2022

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
haha, the ending of Vol. 14

edit: i just realized that the reason Ariel has Gluttony is because her body was too hosed up to eat anything besides her liquid diet until the System™ was implemented, so she almost certainly started gorging herself once she was able to actually eat real food. :(

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 29, 2022

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

So apparently the last English LN is dropping on the 20th. I stopped reading this at Vol 12. Did anything interesting happen in the series? Does it actually have a satisfying conclusion?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
The ending is lame for something that felt pretty novel for an isekai, and then it got over-indulgent in its own bullshit and spent way too long focusing on characters that I’m pretty sure nobody cared about. I didnt read 15 and I’m not gonna read 16 either. Just spoil it for yourself, I did, and I’m glad i didnt spend anymore time on it.

I don’t recall the details but ENDING SPOILER: Shun defeats Shiro with little preamble through hero power shennanigans, and the world gets saved/reset with nobody having skills. Novel goes out of it’s way to make you think Shiro is dead but on the last line it reveals she’s alive as a tiny spider in D’s care, just as she began.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's the wn ending. i dunno if the ln ending is any different, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Just happy Potimas got what was coming to him.