Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I've been playing monk and I kind of like the idea of it but I'm not sure I understand how it's supposed to work. I have all these abilities that as far as I can tell can only be used for a tiny part of my build. Ok, I can convert enemy attacks into friendly attacks, but then I still have to layer a standard attack build on top of that, only without any of the perks other classes get to help with that because all my perks went towards a single attack engine, and I still have to build other attack engines because sometimes the one I spent all my perks on drops dead because of rng.

Am I missing something about this, or is monk kind of a lemon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

Monk is one of those classes I haven't actually tried yet, but most specializations usually have some different aspects they boost, so you're not railroaded entirely into one kind of build with them.
One creature family that focuses on dodging are the Aspects, which you can get from the Elephant dude in the swamp, have you tried out those?

Monk starts out with one, they're not like bad or whatever, but the trait dodge chance (and your perk dodge chance) don't count against spells so you need traits that boost non independent dodge chance and speed to not dissolve the moment someone casts a spell.

I'm using pulse bat+yellow slime to boost speed and it's working ok, thinking about switching to pulse bat+forest priest. But I can't help but feel this is just a worse death knight. There's so many resources spent making sure my guy can dodge with any consistency, building enough speed. Then you have all this speed and you have to add a bunch of resources to convert it into damage. There are aspects that can do other things but the perks are built around the bonus attacks on dodge mainly. You spend everything building an engine and it seems like other classes can get there with two traits.

idk maybe if every single one of my guys had a personal dodge effect I wouldn't have to worry about speed as much since a few deaths wouldn't be a problem? Seems like a waste though...

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Like ultimately I have a backup engine using centaur stuff but I can't help but feel like the build wouldn't change much if I got rid of my aspect which then begs the question, wtf am I doing with these perk points

Edit: maybe some kind of aspect cockatrice tribal trait sharing deal with 3 aspects, poof, pulse bat, something and then no matter who you attack you get a face full of fists?

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Mar 20, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Yeah I already got the -80% indirect damage. I've got the dancer but I've been trying to cram her into my aspect up until now and he just can't function without a source of aoe which is higher priority, but if I can trait share maybe that's problem solved. What are options for trait sharing? Sounds like all 6 need to be nature, rather than a tribal thing?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Dackel posted:

If you don't want to spend turns casting vacuum then the main way is probably Golems, but that means 3 will be golems (and cockatrice for golems?) so you won't do aspect master trait stuff (idek what id does tbh). If you need aoe, does screeching barrage not work with counterattack on dodge? 20% speed aoe when an ally attacks

Mutated Pulse Bat is everyone?! Hot drat!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The thing about NOT trait sharing though is that I end up right back where I started which is like, "what is the monk 'play style'?" As far as I can tell the monk play style is the death knight play style only half your trait slots are spent trying to make the monk perks do something. Like ok I have one guy who is really good at dodging and I've spent everything making him really good at dodging. He still isn't as useful as the gutslasher/raider I just randomly threw in with him though.

If I could find a way to like make it so that all 6 guys were really good at dodging I think I could turn that into an interesting build that's not just a really bad attack spam build that uses different stats.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 20, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
hold me closer, shiny amber

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
How do you know hidden properties? Also, there's a nix that autoattacks 3x on ally death so I am about to go hogwild with the unicorn.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Also is it always better to use instability 5 vs. 0? I see it increases item drops, but does that mean that I should crank as high as I can go instability 0 for easy XP before worrying about how I'm going to grind for items, etc.? Also does it include currencies or just treasure drops?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Dackel posted:

This really depends on your build tbh, instability can be BRUTAL. if it hits your build's weaknesses even a single point can cripple. Don't be afraid to tone it down just enough to remove a few points (if you rely on reviving, no way can you handle a "no revive" instability) or reroll completely if you want to keep it on and have the power

I understand how instability works, I'm asking what are the benefits of lowering instability to run a higher depth vs. staying at a particular depth to keep a higher instability. Is it better to do one versus the other depending on what my current goals are? Which goals benefit from one or the other?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I understand it's better to do deeper levels at higher instability. I'm asking about the difference between shallower at higher instability and deeper at lower instability.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

CubeTheory posted:

Can you get artifact trait items for any trait in the game, or is it a smaller list? I'm only like 35 floors in so there are many mechanics I haven't seen, trying to plan for the future.

the vast, vast majority of them

When you unlock the candle and missions, trait materials become much more relevant, since you have a (long, very grindy) path to on-demand materials for monsters in your bestiary.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So I'm still chugging along with my sunk cost monk build even though the game makes it really easy to respec (at least, once you've unlocked a class). But I did have an interesting idea for a tank:

Defer Pain (take 90% of damage at the beginning of next turn)
Pegasus (absorb all fatal damage from allies)
On artifact, Laughing Wisp (immune to debuffs, 50% reduced damage, most importantly sends you to the bottom of the timeline when you take damage)

Combined with some healing and a res option when something goes wrong it seems like it'd make your team unkillable.

EDIT: Ah, indirect damage doesn't trigger pegasus.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 23, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
When buildcrafting I found it was easier to write down what races had what sorts of bonuses, sort my bestiary by race and go shopping like that. If it helps people, here it is:

pre:
Abomination - Vulnerable and Weak debuffs
Alemental - Fun with debuffs
Amaranthine - Defense stat
Amphisbaena - Splitting key events into two smaller events in order to trigger more effects
Apis - Hard to understand, I guess support stuff around protecting ourself & others from attack damage
Apocalypse - Permanent bonuses based on number of turns since start of battle
Arachnalisk - Combination Snared & Poisoned
Aspect - Dodging
Asura - Crits
Automaton - Negative effects on enemies at the start of turn
Banshee - Get a specific free spell at start of battle, bonus effects when casting it
Bard - Various buffs that apply to all your creatures.  In particular, "half of attack damage uses X stat"
Bat - Effects after an ally attacks
Brownie - Effects after this creature attacks
Carbuncle - More casting since start of battle = more power
Carnage - Effects after this creature kills a creature
Carver - Improving attacks, usually for "this creature"
Centaur - Improving attacks, usually generating new attacks for "this creature" on various events
Cerberus - This creature can't cast spells manually, but cast a random spell on some event, or receive some other benefit for having gems.
Clutcher - Effects after an enemy dodges
Cockatrice - Manipulating class and race
Concoction - Disarmed debuff and other fiddling with enemy artifacts
Construct - Arsenal Spells
Cruncher - Gem sealing
Crusader - Making things unkillable with buffs and extra healing
Demigod - Hard to understand- mainly fiddling with health and defense but not always
Devil - Bonuses based on enemy class
Diabolic Horde - Tribal bonuses
Djinn - Bonuses for spellcasting & intelligence.  Mainly provides bonuses based on spell gems & charges
Doomguard - Tankiness, mainly to adjacent creatures or all creatures
Dragon - Reduces enemy stats in response to events
Dryad - Fun with buffs
Dumplings - Tribal bonuses
Efreet - Burning
Eft - Tribal bonuses
Ent - Mending buff and tankiness effects in response to events
Fiend - Berserk
Forsaken - Start battle with big bonus, get worse every turn
Gargantuan - Triggered effects, usually at start of your turns, usually as a result of recent enemy activity
Gargoyle - Chaos spells
Gemling - Spell gem properties
Ghoul - Speed stat
Giant - Health stat and tankiness
Golem - Random bonuses, most are "this creature".  
Gorgon - Stone
Griffon - Tribal bonuses
Grimoire - Spellcasting
Harpy - Blind
Hound - Dire wolves
Hunter - Tribal bonuses
Imler & Imling - Tribal bonuses
Imp - Nature spells
Inquisitor - Minions
Koloss - Health
Leech - Leeching
Lich - Death spells
Maniac - Effect on killed, killing your own creatures, etc.
Manticore - Attack stat, effects on  your creatures attack
Masochist - Debuffs on enemies and also themselves
Mimic - It's a mimic
Minotaur - Effects triggered by taking damage, being attacked, having less % health
Mite - Debuffs
Mogwai - It's a mogwai
Mummy - Cursed & attacks
Nix - Completely random stuff
Occultist - Intelligence and spellcasting
Ophan - Life spells
Ossein - After your creatures are resurrected
Paragon - Major effects that affect both allies and enemies
Phase Warrior - Major effects for all your creatures
Phoenix - On death and on resurrection effects
Pilwiz - Bleeding
Pit worm - Offensive start of turn effects
Pit wraith - Damage increasing and health reducing effects
Plague Doctor - Debuff manipulation
Priest - At the start of this creature's turn, buff everyone
Purrghast - I'ts purrghast
Raven - Intelligence
Reaper - Attack something with less than 35% health, kill it and receive some effect
Rift Dancer - All effects that activate when some event occurs happen more
Salamander - On some event, your creatures cast one of their spells at random
Sanctus - Completely random stuff
Satyr - Limit actions enemies can take per turn
Shambler - Blighted
Seraph - Receive some bonus if creature has performed some action at least once this battle
Shade - Invisible
Shapeshifter - When allies do bad things to each other, good things happen.  When you do good things to enemies, bad things happen instead.
Sin - Completely random stuff
Siren - Apply debuffs or stat reductions to enemies
Skeleton - Empower attacks
Slime - After this creature gains benefit, your other creatures gain benefit.  This creature has debuff, damage from debuff hurts enemies.
Smith - Manipulating artifacts, bonuses from artifacts
Smog - Poisoned
Snaptrap - Send enemy to bottom of timeline on some event
Soulflayer - After a member of your most common race do thing, other members do as well
Sparktail - Deal damage after taking damage
Spectre - After event, reduce enemy stats
Sphinx - Build-your-own tribal build with class instead of race
Spirit - After your creatures are healed, they receive effect
Stag - Make spell gem properties stronger
Storm - While this creature is above 90% health, receive effect
Tremor - Prevent enemies from acting
Unguided - Class manipulation
Unicorn - After this creature attacks, receive effect
Valkyrie - Mostly generating effects in response to enemy aggression
Voidlord - Repelling
Vortex - Prevent spell damage
Vulpes - Receive benefit for non-ethereal spell gems, mostly randomly casting some at start of battle
Waspid - Tribal bonuses
Watcher - This creature deals more damage based on some condition
Wight - Bonuses based on deaths and resurrections
Wisp - Major bonus, but after this creature takes damage it is sent to the bottom of the timeline.
Wolpertinger - Casting, mostly scourge spells
Wyvern - Do bad effect on enemy in response to magic-related event
Yeti - Frozen

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Stand Alone Complex has some downsides I guess you could say.

Vitja likes to provoke, and has a trait that prevents her from taking damage while her gems live. Since Stand Alone Complex means I don't even get a prompt for his turn, my game is now soft locked as these morons keep wet noodle fighting back and forth and doing zero damage to each other.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Carcer posted:

I'm playing necromancer and it generally feels really effective, zombies beat the hell out of everything while writhelings debuff all the enemies, but I've only seen a couple of creatures that actually play into summoning minions so my team is sort of a slapdash of things with big attack.. Are they just not well supported early game?

There's some good options for dire wolves right off the bat with the Hounds in the first area, but they don't introduce general minion stuff until Eternity's End, I believe.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Carcer posted:

I don't know what instability is yet, I've not encountered it, and when I go to look at what creatures are in realms below my current max it still says "No Idea".

There are creatures called Terror Hounds in Blood Grove, right at level 1. They make everyone on your team start with 3 stacks of dire wolves.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Yami Fenrir posted:

Speaking of which does anyone know a good place to farm Asura's?

I've been bashing my head against the wall. I feel like they barely ever spawn in the places the game says they do.

I've spent so much time trying to get the one that does a follow up attack after a crit (Marked for Blood or something like that)

I believe the angery face mob attacks in cutthroat jungles are all asuras. If you're looking for particular mobs be sure to check the guide first: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2338119081

Not every race has a spawn event but for those who do it's the easiest way to get up to D.

EDIT: I believe you're describing Sidewinder, from the Asura Gutslasher.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I was grinding Azure Dream for unicorns, and I came across two facts:

* You tend to get crystal orbs about once per level, which is a good way to grind knowledge to D for something like specific storms that seem to hardly ever spawn. Summon the ones you get and once you have 2 or 3 in your party, grind crystal orbs to level your knowledge until you can do Hunt.
* If you wish for wealth on the stars, you can get little bags of resources- I got a shitload of granite very fast, a little bit of crystal and essence, but absolutely no brimstone.

Does anyone know other little unusual spawns like these? In particular if there's something that gives brimstone gosh I'd like to hear about it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

God this game is so good, I picked it up on a whim but I’m completely hooked.

I started as a druid with a weirdly effective buff/debuff stacking build, unlocked purgatorium and built a team that’s juts one unkillable guy and 5 mooks who bounce back and forth between life and death to trigger a ton of on death and on resurrect effects, now I’m an astrologer planning out the perfect gryphon team (astrologer monsters auto-revive if they have 5+ buffs, gryphons share buffs, there’s a trait that boosts stats based on buffs...). The number of classes is insane, and I’m still missing a huge number of the monsters

There’s some QoL features I’d like (that sounds like they’re on their way) but I can see where the estimates of 1000+ hours of playtime come from.

Edit: I could have sworn there was a monster that made your team start with 2 random buffs, but I can't find it. Am I missing it or thinking of something else?

The only start of battle -> random buff creature I can find is the forsaken seacrawler.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So I finally unlocked gate of the gods and got a few of them under my belt. I finally feel free to set aside monk, at least in the name of expanding my repertoire for bigger chalice bonuses.

So I am now in the process of developing the dumbest doombringer build I can think of. It will have 3 nyx shadowjumpers and 2 mutated crypt bats. The goal? 75 attacks per turn, as many turns as I need, and 0 enemy turns.

The funniest part about doombringers is that attacks trigger resurrection events- such as giving your resurrected creatures rebirth, or having a 50% chance to send them to the top of the timeline- and heals trigger death events- such as the nyx attacks. So I'm gonna use the artifact material that causes everyone to take 100 damage when the wielder attacks and a mutated pulse bat to force the nyx to attack every single turn. Then use vulcanus to make the attacks actually good eventually.

I'm confident I can make this even dumber. This is just the beginning.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
lol welp

Another thing is I was trying to start this engine with vulpes instead of mimic, and it looks like infernal charge/rabid dementia/adrenaline rush don't count as damaging spells.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Vital Clutcher is a fun time.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Yea, they're not. They force the target to Attack, but the spell itself doesn't do any damage.

This is fine, really, but I do kinda wish it was possible to have a build that didn't need a mimic to function.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

Doing fire specialization but for some reason the monster I have with provoke increase burning debuff and provoke cast a spell that targets all enemies isn't casting a spell that targets all enemies when i provoke....

https://forums.thylacinestudios.com/t/0-8-10-bound-cerberus-trait-zero-to-one-not-working/7097/4

Cerberuses are busted atm but will be fixed in next patch :\

As for my bug, it turns out Ianne's Eccentricity- the thing that deals damage to everyone on "this creature" attacks- is mitigated by defense and so doesn't work really.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
So I was able to get a reliable non-mimic start with my (currently busted) doombringer build using Cosmos Vulpes (your creatures' first 3 non-ethereal healing spell gems each have a 30% chance to be cast automatically at the start of battle) + Idol Stag (chance to attack has a double chance of triggering) where each heal was enchanted with cast twice. This was pretty much guaranteed to trigger a couple Chance to Attack procs in T0 which would generally result in SOMEONE being handed first turn by my Royal Phoenix.

However, as I started optimizing the build, a large % of my attacks were being caused by multiple mutated crypt bats triggering off of each other to attack the air, so I ended up with 1 mutated crypt bat holding Ianne's Eccentricity and 5 nix shadowjumpers actually driving the build. So I'm now experimenting with Nix Informer (At the start of battle, enemies are afflicted with silenced for 1 turn) fused with the Mutated Crypt Bat, and 5 Nix Shadowjumpers. This should allow me to use Master of Nixes, which allows me to start combat with all my creatures invisible. I believe this will mean that I don't actually need a kickstart like Mimic or Cosmos Vulpes because the enemy just has to sit there and wait for me to start the fight.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

I think it only takes effect once you're in a battle.
It could be explained better.

Edit: If I wanted to go for a Blight-centered build, what specialization/creatures/spell gems should I look out for? (Other than the obvious Sea Shamblers)

Mite Interloper will heal enemies off of attacks
Narklin Ophan will give everyone a fresh heal gem at the start of every battle
Sorcery Shapeshifter will let your damaging spells heal enemies. This could be fun for a spell like Apocalypse if you could protect the charges.
Battrap, Nightveil Spectre, Fog Spirit for negative on-heal effects for enemies
Soulflayer drone if you're going to run a shambler heavy build

EDIT:

Actually mimicing someone holding Triumvir who just starts every fight by casting apocalypse would probably end the fight right there.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 28, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

I can't wait for the next update that's supposed to add a search function because trying to make teams right now is very frustrating.

And it was confirmed that Ianne's will be fixed next patch!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Well, my doombringer build is finally complete. Invisibility + Silence does in fact force all enemies to defend their first turn if they go before you. It turns out that you can't use avatars as the secondary creature in a fuse, so I had to spend my last trait slot on a clawing cockatrice to turn vulcanar into a nix, but that's fine. Turning vulcanar into a catgirl is half the fun.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I love this stupid game. I found out that druid gives you two random traits from the creature's race which is all right. But combined with yseros it's pretty much guaranteed to give you the majority of a race's traits. I also found out that it gives yseros two additional avatar traits. There's a bug where the guaranteed-uniqueness of the yseros trait isn't working (like everything else, a fix is supposedly coming next patch).

So now I'm wondering if put Iconos on my team if it'll give my unfused creature 6 additional traits from his race, and will it give an unfused yseros 5 avatar traits?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Broken Cog posted:

After messing around a bit, I can confirm that this:

is extremely good at keeping your creatures alive against anything that doesn't oneshot them. It works for pretty much everything.

Had an idea to go with this:

Pegasus + Sturdy Gargantuan + Laughing Wisp

EDIT: All damage except indirect damage gets dealt to this tank. he takes only 5% damage between the gargantuan & the wisp. he's also immune to debuffs. He will drop dead if he ever gets a turn, but the laughing wisp makes sure that never happens as long as he keeps taking damage.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 3, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Starting to get kinda frustrated at how many build ideas get blown up because of a known bug that has a fix lined up in a patch, and there still hasn't been a post-release bugfix. I suspect that the dev is holding back the bugfixes until the next content update is ready, which really sucks a lot. Maybe game maker doesn't play well with source control or he's like the dwarf fortress guy & doesn't like to use it, so he can't release until every half-finished change is ready to go. I don't know. Hopefully it comes out soon.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Zurai posted:

Is there a list of the known bugs somewhere? I put together what I thought would be a really sweet combo (a creature that auto-redirected attacks combined with a creature that negated damage from attacks while under 65% health), but it didn't work right. The attack negation part never once triggered over several hours of gameplay, regardless of the critter's HP.

It's pretty much just the forums. https://forums.thylacinestudios.com/t/0-8-10-long-live-trait-not-functioning-consistently/7098/3 This sounds like your issue.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The change to the goblet is a huge deal, and is a reasonable compromise on the cost of building new specs I think. Projects are tuned for either 10 or 20 levels which is nothing, I don't really understand the agita over them.

But goddamn, 3 more weeks? I just want the bug fixes! That's all! You've already written them, release the loving thing!

EDIT: And yeah, unlocking more specializations increases goblet rewards, but makes it harder to roll a class you have a team for.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

I’m fine with the current goblet honestly, with my personal level of choice paralysis having the game say “use this class for a bit” is exactly the right amount of nudging. But it sounds like it’s just changing to point you to your choice of two or three classes instead of just one, which will honestly probably be better once I have 20 specializations unlocked instead of 5.

I like the idea of the goblet as-is, but if you sit down and think about the cost of developing a fully-loaded set of teams and what you actually get in return, it's not a great deal. If there wasn't a set of relatively OP builds that can operate with any class it might be a different story, but as is there's been a strong incentive to use one of those to cheese goblet rewards, and now there's not.

EDIT: For anyone who's wondering about the math, the chalice takes 10 levels to fill, so 5k essence is a pretty reasonable spend for rolling a class. If you have 4 classes, you have a 94% chance of rolling one of them with 5k essence or less if you've unlocked every class (including the 5 new ones). By contrast, 3 classes will get you about an 88% chance.

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 5, 2021

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Sab669 posted:

I hope this mythical Next Patch adds a way to view an artifact's Trait Slot without having to unequip it from the creature.

Not really clear what you mean by this- you can see it in view/unequip artifact without unequipping & it also shows up in the list of traits.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I'm so loving happy it's here- and the list of improvements is loving incredible. There are some rough ones like:

quote:

Changed the order of some start-of-battle effects: traits are now granted first, and then classes/races are changed. Previously, it worked in the opposite order. This turned out to cause major balance issues. The Codex has also been updated to reflect this change more clearly.

For those who haven't completely immersed themselves in jank, the dev promised some time ago that he was going to rebalance trait sharing and this seems to be it- you could previously use class/race changes to share traits between arbitrary creatures with Regalis or the Iron Golem and now you cannot. Regalis was also reworked- matching creatures now share their innate trait with adjacent creatures. The Lost still exists so this is still crazy strong but probably not so far out of line with other gods.

Faster battles:

quote:

ADD: Gameplay option: Hide Values of Zero. This allows you to hide battle text that contains a value of 0, such as 0 damage or 0 intelligence gained from an effect.
CHANGE: If too much floating battle text is displayed during the same turn while Turbo Mode is enabled, it will progressively speed up the rate at which these messages are cleared.

The problematic starter specializations have been replaced with more straightforward ones, which is great for new players. Annointments & a new specialization that let you stack perks from arbitrary specs, which is the kind of stupidity I love this game for.

Pilgrimage missions now require two fewer realms to complete, hunt missions give better rewards, prophecies have been made a little less bullshit and give better rewards. Nether materials are cheaper. Long Live was changed entirely but now probably actually works- not as insanely good as before. Ianne's Eccentricity fixed. Chain corpse explosions were nerfed somewhat. The stag that improves "Chance To Cast Twice" went from useless to WOAH NICE (now makes them cast 3 times instead of 2).

Specialization balance changes are interesting, but I'm seeing a lot of buffs. Doombringer's "cut your enemies' events chance to fire" perks all got changed to some increasing benefit based on the number of times their own events have fired. Inquisitor got across the board improvements. Monks get free Agile and buffed indirect damage reduction.

This is a hell of a patch!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I would say it's pretty interesting at the beginning of the game when you're going like "oh sick this guy buffs my other guys". There's a point where the difficulty starts to ramp but you haven't unlocked all the craziest build stuff yet for most classes (a lot of key stuff comes from nether materials which you don't even start to be made available until depth 65) and that part isn't spectacular, although you keep getting access to new creatures at a pretty good clip until you have a critical mass of nether materials. There are 2 or 3 bosses in the early game that are just harder than everything else and you don't have a lot of tools available to you, so that's pretty unpleasant. I would say for most of it it's pretty fun, and the end-game really 'starts' around depth 65 it's just that the game keeps giving you more and more stuff to use even at like depth 400.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

nrook posted:

Oh, is the writing much better now? I picked up the game a few months ago but dropped it immediately because the vomit jokes gave me a real vibe that I had entered someone’s magical realm.

If you're wondering what was "streamlined", it's funny that you should make that specific reference...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I love finding new ways of breaking this game. Radiant Sunfire spell gem (all your creatures get 1 buff for each enemy inflicted with burn, all enemies get 1 debuff for each enemy inflicted with burn) socketed into a weapon held by an attack generator creature (attack when an ally is attacked/attack when enemy takes burn damage) is one of the funniest loving things I have seen in this game.