Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Picked it back up after not playing since alpha and it's gotten a lot better. They took out some of the more, uh, inexplicable writing choices in the story and the new sprites look fantastic. Looking forward to losing another hundred hours to this series...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
They're never going to change the spider and I've come to terms with that

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Go into decoration mode and hover over the decoration in question. I forget what button it is but you open a prompt to move/remove/etc.

It's your normal confirm button (default e) but you have to be on another tile facing the thing you actually want to move. Which is annoying, because when you place it, it goes under your feet.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Jack Trades posted:

How do spell based teams work considering that spells have limited uses? I haven't used spells at all because I'm worried that if I start to rely on them then I'll just run out of them in the middle of a level.

(in extremely hell knight voice) what's a "spell"?

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I'm running a sweet Animator setup where member 2 is an Assault Griffon/Clamorous Cockatrice combo, so it and my Animatus both have ~30% chances to take an extra turn. It's also got a relic with Fallen Carnage's trait, so when it kills something it gets a full heal and another turn anyway...

...which helps when I cast Dark Ritual on my beefy third party member to donate all of its stats and start the Corpse Explosions going :getin:

e: i'm dumb corpse explosions happen when enemies die

GetDunked fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 7, 2022

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Phase knights are real frickin good I'm discovering, as is the Greater Dispel gem. Having life spells, especially Requiem/Resurrection, on generous is also a really good idea.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Fat Samurai posted:

Thanks, missed an Asura to leech health on critical (I.e. always). Good point about Confused, though.

Now to do the Artifacts to see if I actually can put enough speed and defense without compromising attack, which is always my least favourite part.

Edit: Then I have to worry about blighted. Hmmmnnnnn....

Nature Shapeshifter is a pretty good bulwark against confusion, assuming it's alive your creatures will heal each other on attacking instead.

As for Blighted, I've been using the Leeches--there's one that gives all your creatures Leeching, and another that protects your creatures with Leeching from Blighted (and ups the healing a bit).

For Curse, I haven't found anything that works quite as well, but the damage from Curse (and probably Blighted for that matter as well) is indirect, so Phase Knight works on it.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Clutchers' entire gimmick is that they punish enemies for dodging--sounds like one of the only good places to bust the poor niche fellows out. Dragon Soldier deals damage to all enemies whenever one of them dodges, and Elf Mystic prevents creatures' on-dodge effects from occurring (can also buy its trait material with Emblems). I'm not far enough to be taking on the gods myself, so I don't know if they do things that ignore those mechanics, but those were the ones I saw looking through my bestiary.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
They have a perfectly good search feature in the list of traits why is it not literally everywhere else aaargh :argh:

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Womyn Capote posted:

Im pretty early on and never played one of these before, and I'm stuck around level 16 in the swamp. I can't deal with the guys that keep buffing their defense and int. Using a blood mage, do I just need to grind it out?

You shouldn't generally need to grind (in the classical definition of "stay in the same area to accrue levels") in this game in order to advance. A lot of advice would depend on what sorts of spells you've managed to pick up, and which particular enemies you're dealing with--I assume you mean the Uralos creatures, specifically the Uralos Knight and the Uralos Spellcaster, in which case yeah I feel you the Uralos Knight is an rear end in a top hat--but there's a few big ones to mention:

• Indirect damage, such as damage from Bleeding, Burning, Poison, etc., or damage from a trait, is far less affected by the creature's defense than other sources; there's any number of ways to get access to it, but what jumped out to me is the Blood Mage's Bloody Massacre perk--making your opponents always bleed means they're taking 30% of their maximum health as damage on each of their turns, and this is barely mitigated by their Defense. You can probably just dump a single point into that to turn the bleeding on. (Note that you can reset your perk points at the wardrobe north of the summoning brazier for free at any time.)
  • Make sure your artifacts are upgraded, ideally to the highest tier they can be at your blacksmith's current level. Artifacts make a huge difference in damage and survivability especially early on. I think it's generally best to focus on the artifact's main stat--if you're casting damaging spells, for instance, you're going to get way more mileage out of 80% Intelligence than 20% Intelligence, 20% Attack, 20% Defense, and so on.
  • Keep an eye out on creatures who can provide your whole party with an offensive or defensive benefit; these tend to be quite valuable. A combination that got me very comfortably out of the earlier game is Ebony Ent (all creatures have mending and take 15% less damage) and Hemlock Ent (mending restores 50% of max HP instead of 15%).
  • Don't sleep on spell gems! They're some of the best ways to get out of sticky situations in this game, and there are ones for every occasion. Many of them don't need Intelligence at all to be effective, and are just useful utility things that grant buffs and debuffs. Here are a few of my favorites, organized by class (note I make no guarantees you'll have any of these unlocked, nor do I remember if any of these were god favor spells):

Chaos
* Arbitration (steal all enemy buffs)
* Chaos Spheres (seal all of one enemy's spell gems--useful if you're being wrecked by a spellcaster)
* Flame Lash (give all your creatures Berserk and Splashing)
* Rolling Meteor (do AoE damage based on my health)
* Volatile Strike (single target nuke that uses your best stat against their worst stat, instead of Intelligence vs Defence)

Death
* Contagion (convert all enemy minions to debuffs)
* Decay (all enemies are Disarmed, meaning they temporarily lose their Artifacts--can be a huge hit to stats)
* Defile (all enemies are Poisoned and Blighted--useful if they're getting healed)
* Misery (give one enemy a whole mess of nasty debuffs)
* Wormrot (all enemies gain Weak and Vulnerable, dealing 50% less and taking 50% more damage)

Life
* Breath of Life (big heal or revive on one ally)
* Divinity (all creatures are resurrected and fully healed and the timeline shuffles)
* False Beliefs (deal damage equal to 100% of the healing target has received, is a lot of damage in protracted battles)
* Holy Protection (all your creatures gain Shelled, negating the next hit they would take)
* Resurrection (revives a dead creature with a bit of health)
* Requiem (revives ALL your dead creatures with a bit of health)
* Stasis Sword (inflicts Stone and deals damage to one enemy--useful for enemies that dodge or crit a lot)

Nature
* Antidote (reduce all debuffs on your creature by 1 turn and heal them for each debuff)
* Curse of the Swarm (enemies get a random debuff for each class of creature on your side)
* Fury Swipes (target attacks enemies 3 times for 25% damage, useful for triggering on-hit effects)
* Maelstrom (target is Feared and Confused--can't gain stats and has a chance to attack its allies)
* Shellbust (target loses a bunch of defense and takes damage proportional to that amount)

Sorcery
* Greater Dispel MVP GREATEST SPELL (remove all your creatures debuffs and enemies' buffs)
* Magic Suppression (lowers all enemy intelligence and gives them all Silenced)
* Spell Blast (single target nuke that scales with how many charges it has left--great on things that don't use spell gems, such as your starting Forsaken Scourgewalker)
* Steel Storm (big ol AOE nuke with great scaling but few charges, see above)
* Void Flare (insta-kill an enemy that has been resurrected at least once)

Some of these have very few charges but are generally useful on any creature regardless of Intelligence, such as Greater Dispel or Requiem. I highly recommend upgrading those spell gems and adding a Generous property--this gives each of your creatures a single-use temporary spell gem of that spell at the start of each battle. So if you put Generous on a Requiem, each creature has one no-questions-asked full party revive per battle, and because it's an ethereal gem it doesn't consume any charges of the original, and it replenishes at the start of each battle. It's great! You can experiment with some other properties too, like changing the class or increasing debuff duration.

Hopefully this is enough things to try for the time being, if not post your team and the creatures/spell gems you have access to and I can make more detailed suggestions.

GetDunked fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 26, 2022

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
If you really want to keep the class of the original creature, a Subaqueous Dragon will make it so that all your fused creatures change back to the class of the original at the start of battle. Not sure that it's worth a whole trait slot, though.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
I sometimes try to build a team around whatever the goblet of trials tells me to, and sometimes just reroll the goblet until it has hell knight on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Hell Knight's easiest for sure. Animist takes a bit of planning to take advantage of the positional slots, but it's pretty straightforward if you work backwards from what each trait does: for example, Molecular Betrayal gives the Animatus a bunch of stats based on your third creature's stats at the start of battle, so put something with a trait that gives it a bunch more stats passively into your third slot--like a Red Storm maybe. Playing around those synergies and the various huge bonuses your Animatus gets passively should go a long way.