Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
My computer died, so now I'm stuck using a borrowed potato laptop. And oh look, a goon gifted me this game a while ago, it looks like it could run on it and...

Well this game is a welcome surprise. Now I'm sorry I didn't check it out more before. Having fun playing a Reaver, making macro scripts (my Dominions 5 brain got the better of me), and trying out different party compositions. And I can play it in bite sized chunks which is great cause I'm kinda short on time these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Really liking the Reaver. His gimmick doesn't force me into a niche, letting me make any synergy I want while exploring the game, and allowing me to eventually grind enemies down if things don't go my way during, say, a boss battle where I misunderstood the gimmick for the first two rounds. The momentum building also forces me to take the first few fights of every level seriously, and allows me to autobattle past the point where it'd just be a grind. Really encourages me to bring in the heavy hitter gems early instead of perpetually keeping them for a rainy day.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Finished the story missions as Reaver.

I would like to say that the fusion of a Doomsday Specter and a Glutinous Slime with a speed/attack item and backed by one or more generous gem Evolution casts is hilariously effective at shifting the odds and easily carried me all the way to killing the final story boss. Every time it gets bonus stats, it ads a quarter of that to all allies and removes that same amount from enemies. It evolves into some other Specter afterwards, but the enemy's attack will usually be already completely crippled at that point. Casting the generous Evolution gem on itself was the first move of every battle (after the twice-my-level enemies were done with theirs), and usually the deciding one. Only personal spells it really needed was a doublecasting Rabid Dementia (attack a random enemy really hard) to cast on itself or an ally. It had Prismatic Channeling (strong battlefield wide direct damage) and Spell Leak (seal enemy ethereal gems) as backup for me to manually cast if things start going wrong. Ideally, post-game, I'll get the Laughing Wisp socketable trait for it, since it gives it 50% damage resistance and immunity to debuffs, while the Reaver's perk takes care of the timeline shifting downside.

Second spot was taken by a fairly simplistic Elder Ent/Ebony Ent combo. All my guys take 15% less damage, always have mending, and get their heals from it every time they're attacked. It served as a passive healer and as a mule for two important generous gems: Evolution (gives the target a shitload of stats based on their current stats, allowing exponential growth on repeated casting, and also changes the creature to another of the same race, but keeping the fusion trait intact) and Camouflage (changes all my creatures to the caster's class, useful when facing a team that's heavily focused on one class). I deliberately avoided boosting healing up further because I wanted to avoid Blight (turns healing into damage) mishaps, and it already did the job good enough. I had Maelstrom (single target Confused+Feared) to help deal with bosses and any enemy runaway stat growth. I'd prefer some better spell to go there, but it's what I had, and it did the job. Item was focused on health and defense, since the only job of that creature was to not die. The socketable trait reduced the damage my creatures take on first turn by 50%. Boring, straightforward, and extremely effective.

Third spot was a Valkyrie Scout/Unicorn Vivifier. If my creatures get attacked, it retaliates, and if it hits an enemy and does damage, it revives one of my dead creatures. The main gems were Hero's Blessing with extra charges and extra chance to attack after casting (a chance to remove a debuff from all my creatures every time it attacks, very useful for softening the impact of start of battle debuff spam) and Major Resurrection for reliable revivals when attacking isn't an option. It carried a generous Divinity (revives everyone, fully heals everyone, removes all debuffs, works on both friends and foes) for OHSHIT situations. Surprisingly useful, since the Reaver is always at an advantage when the field is leveled. Item gave it a balanced mix of hitpoints and stats. Its first move was usually applying the generous Evolution on the Specter. Probably another candidate for the Laughing Wisp socketable.

Fourth spot was a Spry Satyr/Gimp Mummy. The key component is the Satyr, since he prevents enemies from casting more than one spell at a time, which massively reduces potential for murderous turn one chain reactions. The Mummy is there because 1) I needed a death creature and 2) it has an attack damage bonus, and I wanted a heavy hitter that wasn't dependent on stat boosting. Item focused on hitpoints and attack, and the trait socket was another attack damage boost. Spells were Wormrot (Gives all enemies vulnerable and weak, doubling the damage they take and halving the damage they inflict), Decay (seals enemy items), and Debilitate (to deal with any bonus trait stacking bullshit). The only spell it casted in most fights was Wormrot, the main job it did was just punching hard. If I were to do this again, I'd consider taking another death creature for the fusion component, maybe the Amorphous Shambler that inflicts Blight on enemies when they heal, I don't think I need quite that much damage on this creature.

Fifth spot was an Exiled Satyr/Harpy Pillager. Key component being, again, the Satyr. This one prevented enemies from attacking more than once at a time, which worked really nicely with the Ent's bonus. The Harpy redirected enemy attacks away from the original target, ensuring that my lowest HP creatures wouldn't get focused down, and preventing certain unpleasant attack chain feedback loops. Item mostly focused on health and defense, this is a support caster. Key spell was Flame Lash which gave all my guys Berserk (+50% attack damage) and Splash (neighbors of target also take damage), allowing for some absolutely insane followups. The other spells were a doublecasting Infernal Charge (targets attacks random enemy really hard) which let the heavy hitters do their job better and Chaos Nexus (all enemies become the class of the target) which I used to complement Camouflage in funny ways.

Final spot was Disciple Occultist/Phase Knight. Disciple Occultist sealed any enemy gem after it's used, obviusly extremely useful. Phase Knight reduced indirect damage dealt to my team by 70%, which massively reduced the potential for weird fuckery to kill my team. This one was the final addition to the team, I used a different fusion for a long time, but it was not as good. Item focused on defense and intellect. Spells were a doublecasting Rabid Dementia, a double targeting Conductive Chains (a chain spell that eventually hits every enemy but starts with a single target) with defense penetration and extra damage, and a generous doublecasting Elemental Tome (gives my creatures extra random spell gems) for when I face a weird situation and don't have a good toal to deal with it right now.

All items were helmets because I figured I wasn't going to regret having extra health, and the stat slots could be changed on the fly. Trick slots were as many damage mitigations on as many creatures as I could afford, and attack damage and spell damage boosts in the other slot where relevant. One thing I should have though about more was a way to remove enemy buffs, and maybe a secondary way to remove debuffs from my team. Giving the ent an extra gem slot for something suitable would probably have been wise.

I struggled with the composition at first, I just seemed to lack the ability to fit in enough traits, until I realized that I don't need the Apocalypse creatures. Reaver's quirks are more than good enough for ensuring that I win if a fight turns into a long grind, what I needed instead was something to keep me alive in the first few turns. I think the description of the Reaver has potential to be somewhat misleading. You only really need one quirk scaling with turns and one quirks scaling with fights, especially while you're still using the starting Apocalypse, the rest of the quirks should be focused on preventing your team from being disrupted by miscelaneous fuckery. The battle exhaustion quirks are only worth it once you can max out all of them at the same time, but at that point they become amazing. There is no mechanism I've seen so far that can in any way reduce battle fatigue, outside of Reaver's quirks, and it will bring the fight to an end fairly quickly.

All in all, I greatly enjoyed the class. I'll probably use the strength of this party to unlock basic post game content before starting to explore another class and party composition.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I would not advise a new player to grind the first level for several IRL days.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Keep an eye out for AoE spell gems. They speed things up by A LOT. Sorcery and Nature in particular have them leaking out of their ears.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
My first test run of the game had me randomly get the socketable trait item that maxes out the damage my creatures can take in one hit to 20% of their max health. I didn't pay much attention to it thinking it was a fixed early game drop, guaranteed like the unicorn, and then restarted my game after deciding I wanted to try a different class instead. Still angry at myself for this.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Oh wow the nature shapeshifter is ridiculous. Wish I knew about that one before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HopperUK posted:

Definitely don't worry about using stuff as you find it. You'll be drowning in stuff.