Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

2019 contest thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884878

https://fantasy.espn.com/tournament...itesource=email

Group: Pizza 4967154
Password: iwantpizza

What's in it for you: Winner gets free pizza
What's in it for me: Nothing. I just want to be able to root for games, talk sports with my goons, and support some small restaurant.

Sports are back! College basketball's 64-team tournament is back! That means it's time for this GBS/TAQ tradition to continue! This'll be the sixth year I've run this, although not consecutively because last year fun was canceled. Tournament starts Friday morning, so get your bracket in before then.

FAQ:

What's the Deal, Baby Seal?

It's that magical time of year. A time when I, having been up far too long and it's still far too early, look up from trying to get my kids through writing an essay in Powerpoint. And there it is on my TV screen:

Sports
That
Matter

Instant escape, I can cheer for a few minutes and reinvigorate to face the nightmare that is remote learning + WFH

But I can't get interested in a match between Appalachian Tech vs Alaska A&M unless I have some skin in the game. So I invented this contest.

What Are the Rules
- Everyone enters one bracket of picks. Deadline is whenever games start on Thursday. Just jump in now and make a buncha picks so you don't forget. You can always make changes later (but not after the top 64 start playing).

- Whoever gets the highest score at the end of the tournament wins pizza.

- The pizza MUST be from an independently-owned restaurant. The prize used to be a box of beer, but alcohol vendors are rolling in pandemic pain $ and local restaurants are on life support.

But I Don't Know Anything about College Basketball

Nobody does. It is a known fact that no one has watched a single minute of NCAA basketball, this year. Look at this game:

See? Literally no one is watching. It's so bad apparently the NCAA forgot to even include Duke and Kentucky in the field of 64. Get your bracket in there, you could be the lucky pizza haver.

It Says I Can Enter Twice?

ONE entry per person, please. The limit of two is so I can put in my team and the chalk team (the top seed always advances).

But I Don't Eat Pizza

Just enter, we will work something out. 2019's winner of a box of beer didn't drink, so he ended up with a box stuffed full of dried meats from a great butcher.

Good luck, everyone! I've only managed to retain my prize once (usually 50-100 goons :getin:) so the odds are in the field's favor

I love you!

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
That was interesting: I signed in with my bracket that always goes chalk, and it auto-filled and subbed the whole thing as chalk. Wonder what triggered that?

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 15, 2021

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
As always, I'll be taking a look at some of the lesser-known colleges that made it to the Big Dance.

Iona Gaels

Located in New Rochelle, NY, the Iona Gaels play in the glamorously-named Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC). The Internet assures me that this is somehow separate from the MAC (Mid-American Conference), but I remain vexed.

The big story out of Iona is their first-year coach, Rick Pitino. Pitino was a longtime coach at Louisville. During his tenure there, the married father of five once had sex in a restaurant with the wife of his equipment manager. He was part of a scandal where dancers were paid to have sex with players.
https://www.businessinsider.com/loo...the-decision-14

After resigning in disgrace, Pitino proved that good things really can happen to bad people. His Iona Gaels, whose school motto is "fight the good fight" are in the tournament this year. Meanwhile, Louisville watches from the sidelines as the "alternate" should a team bow out due to Covid.

A Gael is apparently someone of Irish-Gaelic ancestry, so that's kind of weird, too.

Winthrop Eagles

Winthrop plays in Rock Hill, South Carolina. They play in the Big South conference, a division so daunting that Winthrop's 23-1 regular season record only earned them a 12-seed. Guard Chandler Vaudrin leads the league in triple-doubles, not unlike I did when I lived next door to an In-N-Out. Collectively, the team leads the nation in total rebounds. Their 1388 rebounds is a staggering 58 per game and just one hundred shy of being really problematic.

The college was named after philanthropist Robert Charles Winthrop. Winthrop once quipped, "Men, in a word, must necessarily be controlled either by a power within them or by a power without them; either by the Word of God or by the strong arm of man; either by the Bible or by the bayonet." So, that college must be fun.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Personally I'm betting the Hamburger University Birdies win this year.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

is there a randomize button i can click so i can enter without having to think about whatever video game this is?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Bad Purchase posted:

is there a randomize button i can click so i can enter without having to think about whatever video game this is?

https://llimllib.github.io/ncaa-bracket-randomizer/

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I randomly picked teams, which is a lot easier than going through each individual team and learning about them

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

low key sex master posted:

I randomly picked teams, which is a lot easier than going through each individual team and learning about them

Pretty much same. Usually this gets 50+ entries so my only hope is to pick a #3 or #4 seed and send them all the way. Worked one time.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'm going to win big!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Big Beef City posted:

I'm going to win big!

Good luck!

I'm sad the games start on friday this year. Used to having thursday and friday mornings full of sports. Saturday morning sports isnt as special

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Last chance to enter. Even thought the play-in games have started, the deadline isn't until the games start early tomorrow.

Lotta players with covid, though, so head on over to your favorite site to check that out. Prob gonna bench the Sooners.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Sport!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Looks like I was the only one who picked Oklahoma State to win it all. You fools, don't you know that when you beat Liberty in the first round you become infused with the Satanic power of Jerry Falwell's Covid-clotted lungs?

Also my 8-year-olds have brackets, so they are getting super into the games. I was excited, as this is the first time they've showed interest in watching sports. But I have realized it just means I can't have the game on if they are doing their remote learning. Covid snuffs yet another joy from my life.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

watch the game from the privacy of your own vr headset

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Someone had VT winning it all. That is a big oof, sorry!

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko0llmBIELI

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Nerds posted:

my 8-year-olds have brackets, so they are getting super into the games. I was excited, as this is the first time they've showed interest in watching sports. But I have realized it just means I can't have the game on if they are doing their remote learning. Covid snuffs yet another joy from my life.

Hard to say when the words Piece of poo poo kicked in with this whole thread.

its was earlier, first post for me, a genious, but maybe not for others.

Halloween Liker fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 19, 2021

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The Post above etc....up

Get the gently caress out stop looking down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzOOCnkUlnA

Halloween Liker
Oct 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYA4DoZOiD8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az-sD2zsePg

Huh, welcome to tomorrow...maybe

VAMPINRE: No one knows what 2021 shall bite...oh no, i mean bring, flesh!!!

Halloween Liker fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 19, 2021

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
straight up can't stop chuckling about the name 'Oral Roberts University'.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Down goes Ohio State!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
What does Ohio State have in common with Bill Clinton?

They both regret messing around with Oral

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

god I love upsets, especially when it leaves ohio state fans crying lmao

buck the fuckeyes

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My father in law is now in 1st place...

He went to Michigan

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I had Ohio State going to the sweet 16. Really need Tennessee remember how to shoot.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong

Drunk Nerds posted:

Pretty much same. Usually this gets 50+ entries so my only hope is to pick a #3 or #4 seed and send them all the way. Worked one time.

Why didn't you tell me this before my bracket fuckin' broke?

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Merlot Brougham posted:

Why didn't you tell me this before my bracket fuckin' broke?

If you actually know anything about college basketball, it's smarter to pick a better team and gain an advantage on the other games besides the championship. I just don't know anything at all so I picked Oklahoma State, and it turns out no one else did so MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

god I love upsets, especially when it leaves ohio state fans crying lmao

buck the fuckeyes

For me it's carrying over from football, but my Wolverine blood is always happy to hear this sort of thing.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

RIP Purdue.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My FIL is currently in the 100th percentile. In my 10 years running this contest, I've never seen that. I didn't even know it was possible!

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Hey I'm tied for fifth place!

Oral Roberts really screwed me

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

low key sex master posted:

Hey I'm tied for fifth place!

Oral Roberts really screwed me

Both my kids picked OSU to go all the way. They used it to bond with their deceased buckeye-alum grandfather. I had to do a podcast, so I dropped them off at my mom's before overtime.

She had a hard day, but she understood and got them through it.

Yet again, love when my idea to make a bracket contest so all my friends get more enjoyment out of life leads to EXISTENTIAL CRISIS REPRECUSSIONS!

gently caress, man. Just glad my mom saw what was going on and was able to get them through it,

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

My bracket is 69% at the moment :smug:

SLICK GOKU BABY fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 20, 2021

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
I take it the little flame that appears next to my bracket name on the website is a good thing, right sportsfans?

I just discoverd the featured brackets. Would have just stolen from LZ Granderson. Not because I've ever heard of LZ Granderson, but I know Curtis Granderson from the time he stole Nook Logan's spot in center field for the Tigers.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Drunk Nerds posted:

My FIL is currently in the 100th percentile. In my 10 years running this contest, I've never seen that. I didn't even know it was possible!

Me either, I'm in the cellar with you.

ESPN has an article saying of the 14.7 million brackets created on their site only 108 are still perfect, so this had made me feel better.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Who is Sandry doesnt know NCAA and how did you call Loyola over Illinois? You are the current first place team congrats

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

Salad Prong
This contest has become a duketastrophe.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
According to a goon on our Discord, only four players can win:

Hardrock
Amazing Aaron
10skohn10
Ortons Neckbeard

Good luck!

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Drunk Nerds posted:

According to a goon on our Discord, only four players can win:

Ortons Neckbeard

Good luck!

Whoa, I was DFL at the start too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

mallratcal posted:

Whoa, I was DFL at the start too.

It's currently down to you and 1 other person. Everyone else is mathematically eliminated.
Best of luck! If Baylor wins it all, you get pizza! Any other outcome it goes to AmazingAaron , who is a fun kid from our fantasy football discord. Real glad I switched the prize from beer this year.