Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’ve been mostly listening to we hate movies, retronauts and I don’t even have a television. also worst best sellers and our opinions are correct less frequently. what’s good out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
gas

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I watch video podcasts, sometimes called youtube

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
now this is podcasting!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if current trends continue each bearded white guy will host twenty seven different podcasts per day

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
let’s do the yoscast

slam flanders
Jan 13, 2015

if you guys like some of the good goldmine stuff or Weird Twitter style humor - check out Cum Town

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

President Beep posted:

let’s do the yoscast

a goon project you say

anyway i know it's cool to hate on podcasts and podcasting these days but tbh idgi because they provide me with a bunch of free entertainment ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

it does require searching through the cruft, though. i'm not a big fan of "here's three very online guys preaching to the choir about a fan topic and/or politics" and i absolutely do not listen to tech podcasts because they're almost all uniformly smug and terrible and i can't stand it

i've been listening to a lot of fiction podcasts, lately, and there are a few good ones. bbc puts out several, there's one that does a take on lovecraft i enjoyed. currently listening to tomorrow's monsters, which is corp-backed so maybe against the spirit, but i don't care. the wayward guide for the untrained eye was a silly, light-hearted investigation-themed podcast into the corruption of a small town. i thought it was really polished.

i listen to cooking issues for stuff about food but the host while very intelligent is pretty overbearing and kind of verbally abusive sometimes so it's not something i listen to a lot (side note: there are shockingly few actually good food podcasts out there which i find extremely surprising to be honest).

when podcasting really first took off i listened to a couple of crime podcasts but i quickly soured on them. the world is lovely enough as it is i have no further interest in spending time listening to gruesome stories of death and murder.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hard agree every tech podcast is terrible.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

two good podcasts I hightly recommend are General Intellect Unit (cybernetic marxists talk about cybersyn and stuff) and Art of the Score (australian composers breaking down movie scores) though they don't update all that frequently

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

President Beep posted:

let’s do the yoscast

unironically. i'll start the patreon.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

akadajet posted:

I watch video podcasts, sometimes called youtube

Same, I like to use the autoplay feature which forces me to manually change what I am listening to every 2 videos since youtube automatically selected reactionary garbage.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Ansible Adams posted:

hard agree every tech podcast is terrible.

RiskyBiz is fine unless it's a soapbox episode

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I also enjoy Minion Death Cult

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I sometimes listen to the revolutions podcast when I work out

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

that’s a good one but I’m so far behind it’s daunting

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
you cant win imo

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

also this

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yall listened to this chap trapped house or whatever yet

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

serious answers only pls

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i listen to the cum podcast, they review online advertised products and services like mack weldon and betdsi

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
big bluechew customer here. thanks stav

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I skip past the ads but I think WHM has been shilling CBD products for a while

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i listen to knowledge fight to better understand my dad

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
podcasts is what if radio ... was a copmuter

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

the dollop but i often drift off on all the finer details and just waiting for gary to start riffing

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i would listen to pod casts but all of my headmates never shut the hell up so I’m like “why even bother”

*goes back to whittling a gun*

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

listening to yks right now. these guys fuckin crack my rear end up man.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ansible Adams posted:

listening to yks right now. these guys fuckin crack my rear end up man.

yks is real good and the comedy podcast I recommend when normies ask for suggestions

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mike hale vs his neighbor was a glorious 1 year arc

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I started listening to The Flagrant Ones which is an NBA podcast but it's hosted by three very funny comedians so you don't really need to watch the NBA to enjoy it, but it helps

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

there are no good podcasts about tree farming.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

i just go back and re-listen to the ricky gervais karl pilkington show from the early 00's.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

refleks posted:

i just go back and re-listen to the ricky gervais karl pilkington show from the early 00's.

when i’m in the mood to see an rear end in a top hat just mercilessly mock someone i read the pos

unpopular opinion i guess but i am definitely not into gervais any more. i realized one day his whole schtick is just being a dick. often not even funny dick just “i am famous now and thus don’t need to adhere to the social niceties that lubricate society.” with respect to that show i’m not sure pilkington is exactly nice either but.

he’s probably totally nice in person, i just don’t care for that sort of persona.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

mediaphage posted:

when i’m in the mood to see an rear end in a top hat just mercilessly mock someone i read the pos

unpopular opinion i guess but i am definitely not into gervais any more. i realized one day his whole schtick is just being a dick. often not even funny dick just “i am famous now and thus don’t need to adhere to the social niceties that lubricate society.” with respect to that show i’m not sure pilkington is exactly nice either but.

he’s probably totally nice in person, i just don’t care for that sort of persona.

yeah

hes a total bully and shitbag to people

its a shame cos he is a great writer but seems to be a bit of a prick when hes improvising/doing stand up

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

stephen merchant is the funny one

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sweevo posted:

stephen merchant is the funny one

not wrong, he seems like a fine person but still tainted by association wrt that show specifically

he was a funny voice actor for portal 2

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
an rear end in a top hat punching down to bigger assholes can be funny for a while

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
in case anybody wants some electrical engineering/embedded podcasts, I like:

- the amp hour
- the macrofab engineering podcast
- embedded.fm

also I like the soft skills engineering podcast, and "advent of computing" which is all about computer history

as podcasts of last resort I also listen to cpp.chat and cppcast, even though I hate C++ and avoid it where possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I should definitely be listening to the amp hour, thanks for saying something