Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
One of the last of a dying breed

2 stroke 250cc
V-twin
55 hp
17 liter tank
6 gears
167kg wet
The Aprilia rs250

Street legal variant of their 1993 gp250 winner, minor revisions up to the last road legal ones in 2004. Still produced for race use later apperantly.
Picture is of a 1997 colour way.

Lots of detailed info here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

NEED.

GIVE.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s wild that companies used to make pretty decent replicas of their GP bikes and sell them. That’s basically what the RD350 was as well

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

One of the last of a dying breed

2 stroke 250cc
V-twin
55 hp
17 liter tank
6 gears
167kg wet
The Aprilia rs250

Street legal variant of their 1993 gp250 winner, minor revisions up to the last road legal ones in 2004. Still produced for race use later apperantly.
Picture is of a 1997 colour way.

Lots of detailed info here

These are cool but also kind of a nightmare. For a much better but less glamorous bike with an identical engine, check out the vj22 rgv250.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Funny you mention that, I was just looking at one of those on my local bike auction's website

https://iconicmotorbikeauctions.com/auction/no-reserve-1992-suzuki-rgv250-vj22/

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Someone used to street park an RGV250 (not sure exactly which) in the next neighborhood over and I should have left a "plz let me ride" post-it-note when I had the chance.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Funny you mention that, I was just looking at one of those on my local bike auction's website

https://iconicmotorbikeauctions.com/auction/no-reserve-1992-suzuki-rgv250-vj22/
Yes plz

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
SOFT DAMP

(Post your best silly stock logo/bike tech marketing slogan)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I’m the soft, damp elefant

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There's always parallelogrammo

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

TORQUE INDUCTION :hellyeah:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

There's always parallelogrammo

Now this I like

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Even if the project is dead, Sagebrush should post pics of his homemade dashboard here.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Funny you should say that! Today I have been taking it apart to fix some broken parts and make upgrades. The temperature gauge was bugging me a lot. The Hawk's stock sensor is one of those dumb single-wire ones that grounds through the frame, meaning the reading was extraordinarily noisy, and it would fluctuate as the bike's system voltage went up and down. Super annoying. Also, because of the characteristics of that sensor, it lost a lot of resolution at the top end when read digitally, which is a problem because that's exactly where you want a precise reading.

So anyway I found a new proper 2-wire sensor that fits the Hawk, which means I can isolate it from the bike's electrical system and get much smoother data. However, it is still an analog device and thus must be calibrated before use. So here I am boiling it on my stove while it's connected to the dashboard and taped to a reasonably accurate digital probe.

I started the pot with ice-cold water, and took about 20 readings comparing the analog sensor and the digital one as the water heated up. Plotted those points and did a couple of different regressions to find the sensor's response curve. I'm still fine-tuning the lookup table, but so far it is much more accurate and hits 100 degrees precisely as the water reaches a rolling boil, which gives me confidence.

As for continued development of the thing: the main issue is that the OLED display, although it looks fantastic at night, is not really readable in full sun. I haven't done a whole lot of work on it over the last two years, but the big stumbling block has been trying to find an appropriate alternate display. It's nearly impossible to find something that has the right look, with the right performance in all lighting conditions, that is suitable for automotive use, and which isn't some industrial display that costs a million dollars.

Display technology changes every year, though, so there's stuff that's available now that simply didn't exist when I started the project. I recently found a couple of parts that I'm pretty stoked about. A little on the expensive side, but they meet about 90% of my ideal requirements, and have some major benefits that will cut the cost and size down in other areas and open up additional options. So now it's just dealing with the COVID-related total logjam of all electronic parts planetwide, ugh. But stay tuned... ;)

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Wow, I'm glad to see that it's still around. Amazing breadboard engineering.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It occurs that I've never posted what it looks like on the inside:

This is part of why I haven't offered to make more of this one to sell, lol. That's probably 50 hours of point-to-point wiring work. The next version will definitely have a proper custom circuit board, at least for a bunch of the stuff. (one big advantage of the alternate displays I'm looking at is vastly simplified wiring)

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jan 9, 2022

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

Sagebrush posted:

It occurs that I've never posted what it looks like on the inside:

This is part of why I haven't offered to make more of this one to sell, lol. That's probably 50 hours of point-to-point wiring work. The next version will definitely have a proper custom circuit board, at least for a bunch of the stuff. (one big advantage of the alternate displays I'm looking at is vastly simplified wiring)

Nice work! Re: your earlier comment about the OLED screen not being readable in sunlight, would a Kindle-type electronic paper screen work better? Suggestion offered as a true non-expert, by the way 😕

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

E-ink is nice, but the refresh rate is like 1fps with a black-white cycle in between frames. If you don't, you get bad ghosting.

It's also papery grey, which is nice for reading but boring for yay motorcycle stuff.

OLED is by far the nicest display tech, but with the downside of being sensitive to burn in and UV light.

Frazzbo
Feb 2, 2006

Thistle dubh

LimaBiker posted:

E-ink is nice, but the refresh rate is like 1fps with a black-white cycle in between frames. If you don't, you get bad ghosting.

It's also papery grey, which is nice for reading but boring for yay motorcycle stuff.

OLED is by far the nicest display tech, but with the downside of being sensitive to burn in and UV light.

Thanks for the info! I hadn't thought about refresh rate, although the boring monochrome screen was already a limiting factor in my mind as I wrote. OK, back to spectating for me!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Frazzbo posted:

Nice work! Re: your earlier comment about the OLED screen not being readable in sunlight, would a Kindle-type electronic paper screen work better? Suggestion offered as a true non-expert, by the way 😕

Yeah, as LimaBiker says, e-ink is definitely very readable in sunlight, but it refreshes extremely slowly. Best case it takes a second or so, and the more rugged displays (like the ones used for those electronic tags in stores) can take 30 seconds or more to fully cycle. Great for mostly static displays that you want to draw zero power when not changing. Not usable for a responsive instrument system.

OLEDs are great because they have instant response and the black is truly black, so at night you just have perfect glowing grid lines without LCD panel glow. Unfortunately, they are still very dim. The technology is getting better, but currently the brightest displays emit around 500 cd/m^2, which is about half the 1000 that is needed to be considered viewable in full, direct sunlight.

Most motorcycle digital dashboards are transflective LCDs, like a digital watch. These are highly readable in sunlight and can be backlit at night. They're monochrome, but that isn't a huge disadvantage for me given the design I'm going for. The problem is that they have a lot of light leakage and glow around the pixels, so you don't get a very crisp image; they get really sluggish in cold temperature and darker in the heat, and so require a temperature compensation circuit; and graphic ones with a pixel grid (vs. pre-segmented ones like most motorcycle gauges) are ridiculously expensive these days for what they are, since no one is using them anymore.

I am currently looking at an aviation-grade IPS TFT, with about 1200 cd/m^2 brightness, high contrast, and a fully variable backlight that goes right down to zero. This should be better in every way than any of the other solutions except for the nighttime panel background glow, but with a variable backlight I should be able to knock the glow down to an extremely minimal level, or do some other clever optical tricks to make it not as obvious.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

What would happen if you'd use one LCD as a backlight for the other? Kinda in the way they do dynamic contrast with LED backlit TVs, but with a higher resolution?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MST3K stunt double lookin rear end

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Your Robin is missing a wheel!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

Your Robin is missing a wheel!

You beat me while I was literally searching for a pic of a robin

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Designed by Soviet Czechs?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

oh hell yes

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Oh that is good.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Snoopy: the scooter

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

A 1930 Henderson streamline.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thought it was a BMW with those nostrils.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The best part is there's an air cooled, longitudinally mounted inline four under that.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Is that a hand stick shifter?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_clutch

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sick. SICK

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's always funny when people try to do some kind of avant garde stuff but they're not nerds (at least not the right kind) so they can't see the hideously pedestrian wheels and suspension that jump out at you like dogs balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yep. yep

Slavvy posted:

It's always funny when people try to do some kind of avant garde stuff but they're not nerds (at least not the right kind) so they can't see the hideously pedestrian wheels and suspension that jump out at you like dogs balls.

tri-wing wheels are objectively the best kind of wheels other than spoked wheels, but i agree that the spindly econobike forks and teeny solid rotors are a bit of a lol