Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Nat did some very expert pogo murdering to keep the numbers down.

Nat, Clear the flower quest, I don't care if you just go really slowly, CLEAR IT so I can hear some whining from yorkshire tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

AtomikKrab posted:

Nat did some very expert pogo murdering to keep the numbers down.

Nat, Clear the flower quest, I don't care if you just go really slowly, CLEAR IT so I can hear some whining from yorkshire tea.

I like how the thread has slowly reverted from wanting to see Natural20 suffer to see Yorkshire Tea suffer.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Marluxia posted:

I like how the thread has slowly reverted from wanting to see Natural20 suffer to see Yorkshire Tea suffer.

Nat is going to suffer doing the quest, look how badly Nat did with just FINDING the flower lady.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Marluxia posted:

It's not like he left us much of a choice.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

We watched a Hollow Knight LP for the suffering, and damnit we will have it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Marluxia posted:

Tea's disgust when Nat clears some roadblock mostly effortlessly is simply :discourse:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Ahahaha I knew it. I knew Nat was gonna do it in one shot. And we have seen the fifth one, sort of.

We see the armour the fifth knight used, it's the False Knight. There's more details involved once Nat actually go and fights the dream version.

One detail I liked about the Grey Mourner is if you look to the right of her, you see a nail that is as big as her. Imagine what kind of fight that could have been...

Marluxia fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 31, 2021

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Yeeeaaaah, Nat is trolling our asses with all his "getting lost".

EDIT: As for how to enter the Tower of Love the map location is already filled in, but it's in the Queen's Garden, near where the Moss Prophet is.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 31, 2021

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

You really, really are the best at Hollow Knight, holy crap.

Keep it up! :haw:

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I mostly just associate accordions with (characters voiced by) Weird Al.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Bloody hell.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Re: accordions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBxjpDyPIT4

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Fun fact: if you go back into Sheo's hut after meeting the Nailsmith there, they've moved on to sculpting figurines :3:

Also the closest I've come to an accordion IRL was the time five or so years ago when someone was playing the Deku Palace theme from Majora's Mask on one outside of my apartment. I should have asked them what their SA handle was.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
This fight kicks rear end, I love the way Grimm counters you if you try to hit him as he winds up an attack. I actually found the Dash Slash works really well since he pauses for a moment after every attack, giving you a chance to close the distance really quickly to strike.

Also in a blink-and-you-miss-it moment, if you Dream Nail Grimm after beating him but before talking to him, he compliments the Pale Wyrm by name on the skill of his creation.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 3, 2021

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Is this some kind of LP convergence event? Grimm is clearly bug Dracula. What's next, should I expect this game to have a boss cameo from Mega Man or XCOM?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I haven't technically done everything in the game yet, but I'm close and I found Grimm to be the hardest boss I've beaten yet.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I've managed to stumble upon a couple more things Nat hasn't got to yet in my playthrough! Like Failed Champion, and the Collector's Map! (unless he has just got these over the weekend recording session and I haven't seen it just yet :cheeky:)

And I've been having fun dream nailing everything, though there's some enemies that seem like way too much of a pain even with Dream Wielder equipped. I'm sure there's some lunatics out there who've managed to dream nail a belfly or the infected mantis enemies, but that will probably not be me.

I'm pretty close to 1800 essence now but Lost Kin is hard, so I hope I can scrape my way there without having to kill it. I'm real excited to head back to the Abyss after that cause when I first got there myself, I remembered now that the big statue holding the Birdbath From Hell seemed to have a similar kind of mindshield effect on it....

One other thing from the Abyss I've been thinking about a lot is the Lifeblood area again. I haven't opened it myself yet to get a proper review of it, but I mean just the area with the blue stone where you have to unlock it. The other lifeblood areas scattered around the world mostly have nice pretty butterflies, but in that one section in the Abyss, it has those veins, with the little globules growing off them and it's freaking me out how they look like palette swapped versions of the fully infected areas. What could that even imply?

Is the whole lifeblood phenomenon a similar class of thing to the plague, just more benign? Why does it express itself differently in the Abyss? Why is it even present in the Abyss? And what is the stone?

These questions are driving me nuts, but in a good way.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm pretty close to 1800 essence now but Lost Kin is hard, so I hope I can scrape my way there without having to kill it. I'm real excited to head back to the Abyss after that cause when I first got there myself, I remembered now that the big statue holding the Birdbath From Hell seemed to have a similar kind of mindshield effect on it....

Did Nat actually check in with the Seer after getting 1800 essences? I forgot if he did.
E: Wait, nevermind. He couldn't have gone into White Palace if he hadn't. Wonder if there's more dialogue at a higher essence count though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Lynneth posted:

Did Nat actually check in with the Seer after getting 1800 essences? I forgot if he did.
E: Wait, nevermind. He couldn't have gone into White Palace if he hadn't. Wonder if there's more dialogue at a higher essence count though.
There is and it explicitly spells out a lot of the story.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Explopyro posted:

Is this some kind of LP convergence event? Grimm is clearly bug Dracula. What's next, should I expect this game to have a boss cameo from Mega Man or XCOM?

Isn't the crystal dude boss basically a Mega Man boss?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Rappaport posted:

Isn't the crystal dude boss basically a Mega Man boss?

I was just thinking that.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Not only that, but Grimm’s pufferfish pattern is basically the Yellow Devil.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

"Healing is a crutch!"

...the fifty eighth precept?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I, for one, welcome all 10 zote fights.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

So here's my take on Quick Focus:

The game doesn't deliberately design a boss without any safe times to heal. (Sort of. NKG is a wrinkle.) Finding those times is part of the fun and flow of battle. Quick Focus might open up more opportunities, but you hardly NEED it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'll agree that healing is a crutch. Sure, most people are going to need it, especially when they're new to the game, but everyone is familiar with the feeling of wasting so much time and soul trying to heal and getting that health knocked right back out of you. Your time is much better spent learning how to dodge a boss' attacks and the windows to safely strike back than looking for the next opportunity to heal back that last damage you lost. Especially once you're doing Godhome.

I'm also going to agree on the grimmkin enemies being unsatisfying to fight. They just play contrary to the mechanics of Hollow Knight. Nothing else in the game maintains its screen position without collision. Most enemies in HK are designed primarily around how you fight them, while it feels like the grimmkin are designed primarily around not having to account for the design of the space you fight them in. The best way to fight on their level is to fling a lot of spells at them, but HK is built to not just let you do that with wild abandon, your combat focus is always primarily on your nail. It's like they're pulled out of a different game.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tenebrais posted:

I'm also going to agree on the grimmkin enemies being unsatisfying to fight. They just play contrary to the mechanics of Hollow Knight. Nothing else in the game maintains its screen position without collision.

That's a much more concise way to describe what I wanted to complain about too. It feels so unnatural and videogamey in a bad way. In my playthrough I haven't even beat one of the first batch yet. I saw the first one do that and immediately went "oh gently caress this, I'll do it later. Much later."

I'm pretty sure that's the real thing annoying Nat and not the platforms or verticality or anything, just look at how Nat murders everything else in the room, or everything else in those spike-floor aerial Colosseum fights, just fine with few complaints.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Never not be saving Zote.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The Grimmkin are annoying to hunt down and fight but also they spend the entire time laughing. They're the only thing in the game that made me turn the sound off.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I think another reason they feel annoying to deal with is because they're that late-game fetch quest trap that a lot of metroidvanias fall into where they ask you to busywork yourself all around the map to several out of the way places, all of which you've already discovered and explored, to pick up arbitrary maguffins or in this case fight underwhelming not-even-sub-bosses. It sucks away at the momentum that naturally builds up when you sense you're nearing the end of the game.

At least it's over relatively quickly compared to how it was in, say, metroid prime 2. And at least Hollow Knights late-game fetch quest is optional. Perhaps Silksong will realise that it doesn't have to be in there (because metroid angst or w/e it's called sure as gently caress isn't going to lol).

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

They don't have to be particularly late game, I think you can do them as soon as you make it to the howling cliffs.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

This.. this was what I was waiting for. Nat suffering. I'd noticed it during the first encounters with them but Nat has no patience and kept trying to move toward them which just makes them worse. You're just supposed to wait until they attack and you react accordingly. But I will admit that the third tier of grimmkins do suck more than the first two.

But like, they're not actually programmed to hide inside walls. It's just the way that Nat moves toward them and they move away, and before they can move back in, their attack is triggered.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I totally get the frustration with these grimmkin. They're not difficult at all, they're just annoying.

I cant wait for what's coming next though

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Marluxia posted:

This.. this was what I was waiting for. Nat suffering. I'd noticed it during the first encounters with them but Nat has no patience and kept trying to move toward them which just makes them worse. You're just supposed to wait until they attack and you react accordingly. But I will admit that the third tier of grimmkins do suck more than the first two.

But like, they're not actually programmed to hide inside walls. It's just the way that Nat moves toward them and they move away, and before they can move back in, their attack is triggered.

Its really this, all Nat HAD to do is wait a moment for them to wind up, then he could dash in and start hitting

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

Its really this, all Nat HAD to do is wait a moment for them to wind up, then he could dash in and start hitting

Nat is very impatient with some enemies, and ludicrously patient with others. It's basically a cointoss which strategy he decides to employ for a given enemy, feels like.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

AtomikKrab posted:

It sounds like they did wind him up, though :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Lynneth posted:

Nat is very impatient with some enemies, and ludicrously patient with others. It's basically a cointoss which strategy he decides to employ for a given enemy, feels like.

Right? Like the Stalking Devouts in Deepnest. If you hit them, they immediately attack you back with a fairly limited window to parry their blows, which is what Nat does. But if you just wait for them to make the first move, you have more than enough time to hit them then dash away.