Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Just chiming in to say that I've caught up on this LP having just finished my own run through, which seems to have gone pretty similar to Nat's. I think that, like him, I came at the game with the knowledge that it was very much a tough-but-fair system that rewarded cautious and precise play, and that knowledge was very helpful. The Watcher Knights are the only boss that gave me significantly more trouble than him, something about that fight just hosed me up.

The white palace worked fine for me, and the spike platforming was otherwise pretty much the only thing about this game that I didn't like. I feel like by this stage in the game you've had more than enough practice at the platforming to succeed here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Oro and Mato are a great fight. Tough but very fair, all their attacks are well telegraphed and with plenty of openings to heal.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Please for the love of god Tea, make sure you direct him to the Zote fight. It wouldn't be a Hollow Knight LP without it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think Nat should definitely go and pay Sheo another visit.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Also still need to see the remaining dream bosses. It's just White Defender and Failed Champion left, right?

and nightmare king :yeshaha:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

A lot of the challenge of the Colosseum comes from getting overwhelmed by enemies, so it gets exponentially easier as your damage output goes up.

That said, I feel like it's balanced around basically an end game loadout so Nat still crushed that.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

We watched a Hollow Knight LP for the suffering, and damnit we will have it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I totally get the frustration with these grimmkin. They're not difficult at all, they're just annoying.

I cant wait for what's coming next though

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

1 shot

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I don't know how I would've got through this game without quit out warps. My primary complaint is that the world becomes tedious to navigate once you're about 80% through and are spending your time combing over places for poo poo you've missed.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah as I understand it the moths were the original tribe here and they worshipped the Radiance. Then the pale king came along and gave other bugs sentience, and they worshipped him for it. The moths slowly converted to worshipping him too, which pissed off the Radiance. The Radiance did... something? to piss off the Pale King, presumably borne out of anger/jealousy at losing worshippers, so the Pale King decided to seal away the Radiance. But as we know, that didn't work so well.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Minion build is also decent against Zote because it leaves you free to focus on evading him.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

drat you mustve been so close on that one attempt. His third puffer fish is 25% and you beat on him for a while afterwards too.

I don't think shape of unn is necessary if you want those two extra charm notches for more damage or soul gain. You can swap your healing window to when he's doing the flame pillars instead - if you dodge the last one and heal straight away you've got the same window as during the flame bats attack. You can usually get some damage on him beforehand too, and then also use the flame bats attack to damage him.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Also because it's OHKO, you can overcharm.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Totally agree about boss rushes. People have pointed out to me that once you get to the final boss you can fight them via the statue any time you want, but I still feel a little bit bitter about having to get through all those other bosses perfectly just to unlock that.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hobojim posted:

just smacking your face into a brick wall until you break through

But that's exactly how you get "mastery" in these games. How else would you describe learning a fight like NKG other than practicing it until it clicks?

And even with mastery you're still going to gently caress up occasionally, especially on difficult and punishing bosses.

Hobojim posted:

Even after practicing pure vessel and the pantheon of hallownest boss a lot before doing more attempts at the pantheons, I was still very tense and invested in the fights because of how punishing losing would be.

Which is why this level of punishment is exactly what makes it not fun for me. Like I didn't struggle much more than Nat with this game, I'm sure I could get to those bosses if, but I haven't because I just wouldn't find it fun. Which leaves me a little aggrieved because I still do want to fight those bosses.

So overall I think that's my issue. I don't really care about endings or achievements or small lore tidbits - that's all stuff I can watch on YouTube. But the fact that they've gated new, probably very fun content behind a really not fun slog is annoying.

Bifauxnen posted:

Wait what's the problem everyone's got with Markoth? I didn't think he was unusually hard or frustrating.

theres no floor, you've just got five platforms to jump between

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

great job on the LP lads, very much enjoyed this in a way that I haven't for ages. Definite :five: from me